motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    how nice it is to actually walk up a hill and not get cramp in your legs

LOL... pain is progress
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I had no idea how much eating a bad meal would affect me, and the scary thing was, I used to eat bad like that ALL the time until I made my life change. I watched what I did for Thanksgiving, but went a little over..and I felt like crap for 2 days!! I have learned my lesson about how important eating healthy is!!

I hit my first big goal of 50 pounds last week, actually 52pounds (yeah, baby!!) and I'm terrified I'm going to gain over the Thanksgiving holiday! But my hubby gave me a good bite of inspiration (see what I did there :D ). He said that expecting myself to lose during the holiday isn't realistic and will set myself up for let down. I have SERIOUSLY been stressing about that. So I am going to enjoy myself this holiday season, be careful what I'm eating and not go overboard. And I plan on doing the best *I* can and not hate on myself if I screw up a little :)

52 pounds down and proud in 8 months!! ;)

Your husband = he's a keeper! :smiley:
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My butt is now boney and hurts when I sit in chairs.
  • luv2talk2
    luv2talk2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »
    + That it can be an emotional roller-coaster. Some days you are happy with yourself and other days you get upset because you ate too much or you don't look right or you haven't lost any weight this week, etc. Learn to ride the roller-coaster and don't get off.

+ That it won't magically fix all your problems. In fact, some of my "problems" have come more in focus because of the time and energy I have spent on myself and not "others."

• prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That looking at the old you really helps motivate you to the new you!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    Sometimes you can lose lots of weight and still be wearing the same clothing. I had to trade in my shoes because they were too big, but my clothing is just kind of loose on me now. In a way it is good because I haven't had to spend extra money on it yet, but it is also bad because I'm still wearing the same old tents.

I had to quote myself because I has an epiphany earlier. I went shopping and saw something I liked so I went to try it on. In the dressing room before I took off my clothing I caught sight of myself in the mirror and I really looked at myself. My clothing looks massive. My jeans look like I'm wearing a sag so deep that if you could see the top of my jeans (you can't, huge shirt) you'd be able to see my underwear. I knew my clothing was a little loose, but I seriously did not notice they were that big. These were the jeans I couldn't fit into before. So, I am amending my earlier statement. You can lose weight and still be wearing the same clothing, but maybe pay better attention to how your clothing is actually fitting versus how you think it is fitting.

I ended up buying clothing that is several sizes smaller and dancing out of the changing room much to the amusement of the attendant.

I often notice in "after" pictures …some people wear the same old clothes and have the same unkept haircut and overall look as they did when they were overweight.

I say get new fitting clothes and rock a new look that you've earned. However, I understand there must be a real psychological thing about not really seeing the potential of the new them.
  • trossk2
    trossk2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like the symbolic 80 lb walk. Congrats on your success.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sometimes you can lose lots of weight and still be wearing the same clothing. I had to trade in my shoes because they were too big, but my clothing is just kind of loose on me now. In a way it is good because I haven't had to spend extra money on it yet, but it is also bad because I'm still wearing the same old tents.

I had to quote myself because I has an epiphany earlier. I went shopping and saw something I liked so I went to try it on. In the dressing room before I took off my clothing I caught sight of myself in the mirror and I really looked at myself. My clothing looks massive. My jeans look like I'm wearing a sag so deep that if you could see the top of my jeans (you can't, huge shirt) you'd be able to see my underwear. I knew my clothing was a little loose, but I seriously did not notice they were that big. These were the jeans I couldn't fit into before. So, I am amending my earlier statement. You can lose weight and still be wearing the same clothing, but maybe pay better attention to how your clothing is actually fitting versus how you think it is fitting.

I ended up buying clothing that is several sizes smaller and dancing out of the changing room much to the amusement of the attendant.

I often notice in "after" pictures …some people wear the same old clothes and have the same unkept haircut and overall look as they did when they were overweight.

I say get new fitting clothes and rock a new look that you've earned. However, I understand there must be a real psychological thing about not really seeing the potential of the new them.

I'm actually a little surprised that I like "dressing up" I used to hate wearing dress clothes because I always felt so uncomfortable in them, and knew they didn't quite fit or look right. Now, I dig it. I even found a coat (that, frankly, skews a little younger) that's a little more fashionable, so my wife bought it as an early Christmas present.

I even dressed up for my symbolic victory walk around Lowes with an 80lb sack of cement....

i17hpwor6m4d.jpeg
    hdln8cefs6hx.jpeg

I love your victory walk!

When I get to my goal I will have lost 150 pounds. Maybe I should do a lap through the airport with 3 large suitcases packed to the 50 pound limit!

Of course, I wouldn't be able to lift them, I'm not as strong as you obviously are, I would have to drag them!
  • iloveclones67
    iloveclones67 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    We did this at 50, and 80 was a bit of a challenge. My wife is eye-ing the 100lb bag....

It's a little eye-opening to feel what I was carrying around on a regular basis, because I had to rest or 6 times.
  • sunshinegirlx3
    sunshinegirlx3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this thread!! So much of this could not be more true!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    That certain foods just don't taste as good as they used to. I bought jelly babies yesterday as I fancied them, I had a few and realised they were just not as tasty as i remembered them and not worth it for the cals per sweet so I gave them to my husband. That's not the first time that has happened either.

Along these lines ...

That eating a relatively large quantity of something super-sweet like fudge can give you quite a headache. I've heard people say that in the past but I've been able to pack away sweet stuff with no noticeable bodily effects and didn't know what they were talking about. Then I had fudge for the first time in probably 18 months last weekend and really felt it. Headache, but of a flush ...

• 1956suzyq
    1956suzyq Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is am awesome discussion.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    One thing I didn't expect was having to adjust the fit on all my bicycles.

I was slender for most of my adult life, but just in the past few years, I gained weight. As I gained weight, I found I was uncomfortable on my bicycle and got my husband to raise my handlebars, until by the time I hit my peak weight, I was sitting quite upright. I needed to be upright in order to breathe ... I couldn't breathe leaning forward. I was also getting a lot of acid reflux if I leaned forward, but sitting upright was better. And because I had all sorts of extra padding in my sitting area, I could sit upright without pain.

Then I lost weight and started having a lot of issues with my sitting area ... lots of pain. It took me a while to figure it out, but basically, I don't have the padding I used to have, and of course sitting upright puts me into the wrong position for cycling any distance.

We've dropped my handlebars again, I'm sitting much more comfortably ... and I can breathe ... and I don't have the acid reflux. However, I think we'll have to drop them a bit more yet.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    One thing I didn't expect was having to adjust the fit on all my bicycles.

I was slender for most of my adult life, but just in the past few years, I gained weight. As I gained weight, I found I was uncomfortable on my bicycle and got my husband to raise my handlebars, until by the time I hit my peak weight, I was sitting quite upright. I needed to be upright in order to breathe ... I couldn't breathe leaning forward. I was also getting a lot of acid reflux if I leaned forward, but sitting upright was better. And because I had all sorts of extra padding in my sitting area, I could sit upright without pain.

Then I lost weight and started having a lot of issues with my sitting area ... lots of pain. It took me a while to figure it out, but basically, I don't have the padding I used to have, and of course sitting upright puts me into the wrong position for cycling any distance.

We've dropped my handlebars again, I'm sitting much more comfortably ... and I can breathe ... and I don't have the acid reflux. However, I think we'll have to drop them a bit more yet.

A lot of this is exactly why I ride a recumbent- leans back and a nice large padded seat. Of course it's been instrumental in my weight loss, but why not be comfortable while losing right?
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We did this at 50, and 80 was a bit of a challenge. My wife is eye-ing the 100lb bag....

It's a little eye-opening to feel what I was carrying around on a regular basis, because I had to rest or 6 times.

Great pictures, congratulations! I'm down 108 at the moment, tried deadlifting 105 lbs earlier today and had trouble doing it. It's weird to think I was walking around with that all the time, but now am having trouble just lifting it for a few seconds.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Part of it is because we can't believe it.

I'm finally in the process of digging out my "skinny clothes" and packing away my heavy clothes. But I continued to wear the heavy clothes until they were quite literally falling off me because I would look in the closet at a smaller skirt, think about the last time I wore it and how uncomfortable it was, and then reach for one I knew was bigger. The trouble with that was that I've overshot an entire collection of clothes ... the somewhat smaller stuff that had been uncomfortable would have been just right for several months, but I've continued to lose weight and now they are too big.

Same here. I was in my 2X and 3X clothes until earlier this year. Some of them looked utterly ridiculous, but hey, they were comfy and my brain was still "fat." I did a closet purge earlier in the year and got rid of a lot of clothes - I made it down to the larges with a medium or two. In October, I did another purge, got rid of all the larges, except for a commemorative t-shirt, or a few from travelling and am now staring at smalls and mediums. It takes me extra time to get dressed because I just stare at the labels. It's freaky. In a good way.
  • MelimelCoco
    MelimelCoco Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Small things like having a tailbone that makes sitting in a car or Ina plane for long periods of time quite painful.

I know it's been said but my knobby knees knocking together when I lay down.

Being very comfortable with no shirt on (my wife laughs about that one)

I have ribs for gods sake

One major one is patients and friends asking behind my back if I have cancer or something. And yes people don't always believe it's as easy as counting calories and exercise.

People approach my mom often and ask them if I am sick as well. At least its better then when people ask me if I have a relationship with the toilet...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!