What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    Small things like having a tailbone that makes sitting in a car or Ina plane for long periods of time quite painful.

I know it's been said but my knobby knees knocking together when I lay down.

Being very comfortable with no shirt on (my wife laughs about that one)

I have ribs for gods sake

One major one is patients and friends asking behind my back if I have cancer or something. And yes people don't always believe it's as easy as counting calories and exercise.

People approach my mom often and ask them if I am sick as well. At least its better then when people ask me if I have a relationship with the toilet...

People approach me and ask me if I'm sick. I get the ol' arm around the waist all of a sudden, and someone murmuring in my ear, "Are you all right? I've been concerned. You've lost weight. Are you sick?" One person wouldn't let it go at a morning tea ... kept following me around asking me if I was sure I wasn't sick.

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I find it hilarious that people ask me my secret and then when I say I count my calories by entering it into MFP, they tell me "oh no that's way too hard!"
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that people ask me my secret and then when I say I count my calories by entering it into MFP, they tell me "oh no that's way too hard!"

This was my dad. Then I hit the 30 pounds mark and he tried it himself. Now HE'S almost 30 pounds down!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »

This was my dad. Then I hit the 30 pounds mark and he tried it himself. Now HE'S almost 30 pounds down!

Well that's awesome! It's always nice to have something to hold over your dad's head when you need a favor!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

And to add to this thread's topic:
    Nobody tells you that weight loss is mostly mental. The losing weight part is actually simple/easy.

Yes. All day, everyday.
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    We did this at 50, and 80 was a bit of a challenge. My wife is eye-ing the 100lb bag....

It's a little eye-opening to feel what I was carrying around on a regular basis, because I had to rest or 6 times.

The guy that runs the gym was helping us with a new way to do an exercise last night. He pulled out a 55 lb dumbbell to lift up our feet. When we were done, I picked it up to put it away and noticed the 60 lb dumbbell right next to it. I've lost 61 lbs so I wanted to see what that feels like. It took effort, and careful lifting form, to pick it up. I was flabbergasted to see how much more I had been carrying around. The gym guy thought it was an interesting way to look at it. So glad I'm not carrying that around; can't wait until it's all gone. I doubt I'll be able to pick up 100+ pounds like that when I'm done.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    patesq wrote: »
    We did this at 50, and 80 was a bit of a challenge. My wife is eye-ing the 100lb bag....

It's a little eye-opening to feel what I was carrying around on a regular basis, because I had to rest or 6 times.

The guy that runs the gym was helping us with a new way to do an exercise last night. He pulled out a 55 lb dumbbell to lift up our feet. When we were done, I picked it up to put it away and noticed the 60 lb dumbbell right next to it. I've lost 61 lbs so I wanted to see what that feels like. It took effort, and careful lifting form, to pick it up. I was flabbergasted to see how much more I had been carrying around. The gym guy thought it was an interesting way to look at it. So glad I'm not carrying that around; can't wait until it's all gone. I doubt I'll be able to pick up 100+ pounds like that when I'm done.

It is a great eye opener. I have lost 100+ pounds and did farmers carries with 50lbs in each hand. It was hard, really hard! No wonder I was always so tired.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    When you're at the gym and lift a dumbbell matching your weight loss (just for the purpose of feeling what that much weight feels like) and you say to yourself "Holy Crap! That's heavy!".
  • aubned92
    aubned92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    jenn3365 wrote: »
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    You will sometimes get annoyed or even angry when people offer you seconds or say you "deserve" a treat. I'm trying to lose weight! Extra calories means more work for me! Back off! (I'm still training my boyfriend about this).

So true... I get "you're too skinny. You don't eat enough." When I was obese no one was concerned about me eating habits. Go figure
  • aubned92
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    How cold you get without a thick pad of insulation

YES!!! I'm always freezing
  • aubned92
    Options
    lsgibbs83 wrote: »
    That it takes a while for your brain to recognize the change.

Yes...the shoes! Of course that gives me an excuse to buy more...as if I needed an excuse.

The men who will hit on you! A former boss hit on me on Facebook. Um...NO! and I should mention eew! And after more than 30 years a man that was a couple of years ahead of me in high school told me that he never liked my now ex-husband, not only because he was (and still is) a jerk, but also because he was jealous.

Clothes shopping is so much fun when you can share with your daughter. Double the wardrobe!

You nailed it!! It's taking me almost a year to adjust mentally. I didn't even notice or acknowledge the first 40 I dropped... Just kept wearing the same giant, trashy clothes and feeling miserable about myself. Other people made me aware. So weird
  • aubned92
    Options
    Duchy82 wrote: »
    That certain foods just don't taste as good as they used to. I bought jelly babies yesterday as I fancied them, I had a few and realised they were just not as tasty as i remembered them and not worth it for the cals per sweet so I gave them to my husband. That's not the first time that has happened either.

So true! I'm so detoxed and cleansed of sugars, etc. That it all tastes horrible to me now. WIN!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!