What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options

Replies

• patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    What I didn't think of was how medication would make you feel different. I took a Norco yesterday after surgery and it made me feel higher than a kit. I use to take them and they just made me sleepy. I will have to take this into consideration now when I get new meds.

So glad you posted this - I hadn't even thought about this. I've lost 67 lbs and have 45 to go so it definitely will make a difference. Have to make a mental note, just in case. Most meds that are supposed to make you drowsy don't for me, or at least they didn't.
  • FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That i have to hold my trousers when i walk in the office to stop them falling down.

Being told that you are probably the smallest in the office and not even realising that this could actually be true

Enjoying the hunger pangs a little bit because you know it means you are loosing the weight

You can have cheat days and it doesn't actually matter

Family either don't notice you loose weight, or, they just cant be bothered to compliment you

How fun it is to actually plan your food days in advance and feel in control

How good it makes you feel when you are sat with someone who scoffs their face and you feel that you don't need to do that any more( most of the time)

• prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    patesq wrote: »
    What I didn't think of was how medication would make you feel different. I took a Norco yesterday after surgery and it made me feel higher than a kit. I use to take them and they just made me sleepy. I will have to take this into consideration now when I get new meds.

So glad you posted this - I hadn't even thought about this. I've lost 67 lbs and have 45 to go so it definitely will make a difference. Have to make a mental note, just in case. Most meds that are supposed to make you drowsy don't for me, or at least they didn't.

I had some minor in/out surgery they gave me some Norco's for the pain afterwards. Normally this was not an issue it just makes me sleepy. However this time it made me higher than a kite after the first pill the second one made me high and sick lol.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Enjoying the hunger pangs a little bit because you know it means you are loosing

[/quote]

Yes. Hunger is my friend - up to a point.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    becca0211 wrote: »
    I have been up and down with my weight overt the last 15 years. This list is awesome, reminds me of all the things I have to look forwards to as I get back to a healthy weight.... Feeling my collar bones was one of my favorites. Thanks for the reminders everyone!!!!

This is exactly me! I was 48 lbs lighter about 8 years ago when I'd lost a lot of weight (having another baby and 8 years later and I'm pretty much back to where I was before). Anyway, when I'd lost weight before I was amazed AND LOVED my collar bones. I am also enjoying reading about the things I have to look forward to again! I also was amazed at my calves, loved shopping for clothes, was cold ALL the time, loved compliments, etc. etc. etc. 48lbs to be where I was, 52 to goal!
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    TerryKes wrote: »
    Such a great thread! I've lost 45lbs in 5 months, with not a lot of change in the first 3 1/2, it seems, but the last 6 weeks it became dramatic! I just finished week 1 of maintenance with losing .2#, so I'm still trying to figure it out, and I'm okay with that!

Things I didn't expect or have pleasantly discovered:

-constantly looking down when I'm walking because I can't hear/feel my jeans/legs rubbing together
    -finding my pants are longer, even the current size, because I'm taking up less sideways space
    -feeling full after a meal, putting my hand on my belly and it going down further than expected because it's flatter,
    -having to double up my workout mat to do sit ups/crunches because my tailbone hurts against the floor
    -crossing my legs! It's easier and not awkward
    -new friends! Peeps that eat healthier and work out seem to draw one another
    -the encouragement I give others who are friends, or even people I don't know well that have watched me in my weight process
    -FINALLY answering my inside-my-head-question, "Am I going to have to do this for the rest of my life??? (i.e. exercise, watch my calories, get on the scale, etc., etc., etc.), with a happy, "YES!, and it's totally worth it!"
    -not being self-conscious about my stomach, 'love handles', booty, or whatever, showing as 'overflow' in my clothes.
    -my office chair hurting my tailbone (I suffer from SI Joint Dysfunction) and having to get an exercise ball to sit on - Win-Win!

I'm so hopeful that these will become the norm for me, that I won't ever 'go back'.

YES!
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Losing 86 lbs of insulation means I'm now freezing all the time.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    That I would feel taller.

I started experiencing that feeling when I had dropped about 40 lbs. I don't know if it is just that I felt less dumpy or that my posture is better ...

But the funny thing is, just yesterday one of my coworkers was going on again how I shouldn't lose any more weight and made the comment that "because I am so tall ... losing more weight will make me look extra thin". Wait ... "because I am so tall?" I'm 5'6". I'm not exactly a giant. But maybe the weight loss makes me look taller? Or maybe it is posture.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    How convenient it is to pull your jeans down without unbuttoning and unzipping. Made me happy since they were once so tight I had to give up wearing them to be comfortable.

This is convenient...until the start to fall down on there own!
  • tillysmum0308
    tillysmum0308 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    How the effort and mindset of the act of losing weight becomes a blueprint for other things in life you want to achieve.

The application itself is what's life changing, more so than the actual loss.

Very true!
  • chrissiecastellano
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    So is anyone else having food dreams? I guess I would've thought that back in the day when I was eating whatever and whenever I would have dreamt about food more. But now because I need to plan more (a good thing) I find myself dreaming about food! Occasionally I wake up with a panicky feeling that I just ate something that blew my calories out for the week!! WTH?

I just think it is strange. I feel more IN control now but my dreams feel more out of control.

I do this...so glad I am not alone.
  • shellygw
    shellygw Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    That during the journey you'll feel both proud and fat... PROUD for having lost a noticeable amount of weight and yet FAT because after all you are still obese or overweight and will be for a few more months

Exactly. Although mine will be more than a few months. I try to focus on how far I've come, not how far I've got to go. I notice the changes in the way some of my clothes fit and the way I feel health-wise, but I have to work hard at not being discouraged because I still see the old me in the mirror. I still have to fight falling into the old habit of hating myself for the way I was and what I was doing to myself instead of rejoicing that I am slowly taking my life back because I am worth it. The mental struggle is much much harder for me, the food is just the tool I used to avoid the battle.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    So is anyone else having food dreams? I guess I would've thought that back in the day when I was eating whatever and whenever I would have dreamt about food more. But now because I need to plan more (a good thing) I find myself dreaming about food! Occasionally I wake up with a panicky feeling that I just ate something that blew my calories out for the week!! WTH?

I just think it is strange. I feel more IN control now but my dreams feel more out of control.

That happened to me when I quit smoking. I'd wake up in a panic, thinking I'd been smoking. I'd look over to my bedside table and breath a sigh of relief when I saw no ashtray.
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rayw89 wrote: »
    How bloating and disgusting it feels to have a day where you eat the way the old you did. After Valentine's Day I couldn't wait to go back to not eating much!

Omg so much this, Thanksgiving had me dying to get back to my usual routine! Haha

+ How bony your knees end up feeling when you sleep on your side
    + How much fun it is to take selfies, and how weird it is to look at old ones when you weighed more
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    That even when you reach your goal you may still be unhappy with what you look like, then you have to start doing more resistance based stuff to not look like the Pillsbury dough boy.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    The more weight I lose from my face, the bigger by nose looks!
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

This happened when I quit smoking!! I would have a dream almost every night that I had a smoke, and would wake up so mad at myself and panicked that I blew all my hard work! Haven't had it with food yet. . .

I'd wake up with a sore throat from smoking in my dreams . . . And I haven't experienced it with food yet (3.5 years on).

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!