Calorie Counter

Message Boards Success Stories
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 5,116 Member Member Posts: 5,116 Member
    Willpower and motivation are limited resources. It takes more than good intentions.

In some ways we are fighting against our own biology. The body adapts to what we're doing because we are all bent on survival. Got plateaus? The body is just sitting there on idle. The engine is still running but it's conserving your energy and protecting you. You can't get mad or upset because dropping it like it's hot is not all it's cracked UP to be. Your skin will hang like a shar-pei dog if you put the pedal to the metal.

There are some biological adaptations that are hard wired into our DNA. There's not enough food resets, reboots and realignments that will fix that vehicle. Look yourself directly in the eye. Face the truth. It's always good to know what we're really up against.

edited June 24
  • hunnylove24hunnylove24 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    Enjoy some of the comments I cant wait to feel and look pretty awesome again
  • LietchiLietchi Member Posts: 876 Member Member Posts: 876 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Nobody told me I would be surprised by my own anatomy.

There have been a few people here worried about 'lumps' that turned out to be bones.
    In my case, I wondered what the hard lump was halfway down the midline of my chest. Turns out it's the xiphoid process, a part of the sternum which, in my case, sticks out forwards a bit. Phew! :smile:

If you used to be obese, it’s not unusual for your xiphoid to “pop” forward to accommodate your belly. Then when you lose weight it looks odd. But chances are good it will gradually return to it’s normal position, mine did after about a year.

Yeah, I was very surprised to read about that. I wonder if the 'popping back' depends on age since the xiphoid process ossifies by 40 years old or so (I have a few years left :smile:)
  • CerizezCerizez Member Posts: 114 Member Member Posts: 114 Member
    speyerj wrote: »
    That you will set off alarms in the hospital when they hook you up to a heart monitor because your resting heart rate is so low. Not because you have a heart condition, but because you are in really good shape.

Love this!
  • SawjerSawjer Member Posts: 197 Member Member Posts: 197 Member
    Wanted to make this thread for motivationial purposes more than anything but they don't all have to be super positive! More of what came as a surprise. I'll start..

- how much confidence it will actually bring, especially when strangers start treating you like royalty all of a sudden!

- Sitting (particularly in baths) and laying (particularly in beds) will become ever increasingly uncomfortable.

- how vain you will become! I can't walk past a mirror without checking how I look nowadays!

Your turn!

I absolutely love this post, this is so accurate especially the mirror!!! (from past experience haha not now) Thank you for this post, its amazing. I see around 800 people everyday at work and you obviously get to know people and some people you just nod at or w/e .. amazing how many people want to talk to me or suddenly show an interest.. mad that isn't it.
  • mhainlen52mhainlen52 Member Posts: 22 Member Member Posts: 22 Member

Also- I LOVE the “comparison is the thief of joy “ statement. I have been guilty of comparing myself in many ways to others, and remembering this quote will help me realize that what I have to offer is unique to me. [/quote]

That quote is attributed to Teddy Roosevelt. I have it written on a post it note in my office. There's never a day that I look at it that it doesn't make me pause and let go of something that was irking me. So powerful.