What nobody tells you about losing weight

Options
1582583584585586588»

Replies

• rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The most surprising thing I found that was negative ... My identity was the "big guy" and now its just Bill looking a little more jacked than a few months ago.. I am retired now so my identity is tied to being alive and well :)

THIS! I was a powerlifter. I was also always the big guy. I never felt like I tried to be intimidating, but I apparently was to some people. It was a form of respect I guess even though that was never the intension. Now I'm starting to get called "skinny", which I appreciate in some ways, but can be kind of irritating as well because I still don't see myself that way.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    shemenduk wrote: »
    Yes, people's reactions are all over the place! "Oh you lost so much but you need to lose much more!"..."You are still fat"..."You lost too much, eat some more"...??? :neutral:
    Ouch those are some rude comments… “you are still fat?” 🧐 I would have to bite my tongue to avoid countering with “True — and you are still an *kitten*!” 🙊

Congrats on your 20 lbs weight loss, way to go! 👏🥳🎉
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Clothing size is really a big issue. Can't afford to buy new stuff now (after 20 kg loss) and then repeat in a few months when reach a lower wt goal...so tightening my belt and pants upper edges are like awkwardly scrunched up under the belt...
    Yes, people's reactions are all over the place! "Oh you lost so much but you need to lose much more!"..."You are still fat"..."You lost too much, eat some more"...??? :neutral:

For clothes, consider charity or resale shops.

Also, those comments, yikes! Not nice!

Is be tempted to "I'm working on becoming healthier and thinner. Are you working on becoming kinder?" . . . or similar.

I'm so sorry people are treating you like that!
  • paullowden1986
    paullowden1986 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How big your cheshire cat smile gets, and the weird looks you get from the person at the till wondering why you look so happy buying a new t-shirt, when you are buying a new t-shirt in a shop and fit in a size that surprises you.
  • tumtumtree1118
    tumtumtree1118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    4mricandy wrote: »
    Stay off the scale!!! The belt is the ultimate motivator!!!

So true. Have been dieting for a month and my jeans fit more loose now, but haven't lost a pound. I don't understand. So I thought I'd switch to measurements, rather than using the scale for weight.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Clothing size is really a big issue. Can't afford to buy new stuff now (after 20 kg loss) and then repeat in a few months when reach a lower wt goal...so tightening my belt and pants upper edges are like awkwardly scrunched up under the belt...

Could you afford to pop down to your local charity/second hand shop? You don’t need stuff to be in amazing condition cause you’ll shrink out of it in a couple of weeks or months. Even $20 could get you two pairs of jeans or pants that actually fit and a top or two (sometimes more if they are having a sale).

It’s nice not to feel so frumpy in stuff that’s wildly too big
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    4mricandy wrote: »
    Stay off the scale!!! The belt is the ultimate motivator!!!

So true. Have been dieting for a month and my jeans fit more loose now, but haven't lost a pound. I don't understand. So I thought I'd switch to measurements, rather than using the scale for weight.

Mine is the opposite, for months, I was loosing weight in the sale, and I was tightening my belt a bit more, but the pants fit the same. It was weird.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!