What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,524 Member
    I love leggings that are high waisted and hold in the paninis (which is slowly decreasing- I suspect in part because of the near constant light compression)
    @MargaretYakoda I don't know which expression @springlering62 was referring to, but the "paninis" bit is what gave me a chuckle. Too funny!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,657 Member
    @MargaretYakoda i don’t know whether that was an accidental spellchecker delight or a Margaret-ism, but either way you made my day!

“Bingo wings”?

Not my phrase. It’s what I’ve heard those flappy hanging upper arm flaps called for decades.

I do love it, though. It’s so expressive.

@MargaretYakoda I think she meant the paninis? At least that's what struck me when reading 🙂
  • carolpa1
    carolpa1 Posts: 75 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    @MargaretYakoda i don’t know whether that was an accidental spellchecker delight or a Margaret-ism, but either way you made my day!

“Bingo wings”?

Not my phrase. It’s what I’ve heard those flappy hanging upper arm flaps called for decades.

I do love it, though. It’s so expressive.

@MargaretYakoda I think she meant the paninis? At least that's what struck me when reading 🙂

Its actually called a pannus, hanging belly fat from weight loss.
  • mkksemail
    mkksemail Posts: 1,476 Member
    carolpa1 wrote: »
    No one wants to hear this, but don't get rid of your fat clothes. Only 5% of those who lose weight are going to maintain the loss long term. Nothing is worse than having to go shopping and have to spend $$$ for larger sizes after you start to regain. Its easier to go shopping in the back of your closet or in the box in the cellar. It does not mean you don't have faith that you will maintain. It means you are being realistic. Wait about 5 years, then you can donate any that don't fit.

Well THAT'S a sobering statistic !!
  • mkksemail
    No one wants to hear this, but don't get rid of your fat clothes. Only 5% of those who lose weight are going to maintain the loss long term. Nothing is worse than having to go shopping and have to spend $$$ for larger sizes after you start to regain. Its easier to go shopping in the back of your closet or in the box in the cellar. It does not mean you don't have faith that you will maintain. It means you are being realistic. Wait about 5 years, then you can donate any that don't fit.
    mkksemail wrote: »

Well THAT'S a sobering statistic !!

Following up on @carolpa1's post, here is some data to take comfort in:

JANUARY 13, 2020
    8 MIN READ
    Unexpected Clues Emerge About Why Diets Fail
    The physiology of weight regain still baffles scientists, but surprising insights have emerged
    BY DANIEL ENGBER & NATURE MEDICINE

... Just last year, a team of researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, led by David Allison, put out a rodent study of a provocative idea: what if there were lasting benefits to losing weight—even when that weight is almost certain to be regained? The researchers randomized 552 obese, Black-6 mice into four groups: one set of animals ate a high-fat diet at will and remained obese; another two sets received either moderate or more extreme caloric restriction, and stabilized at a ‘normal’ or intermediate weight; and a fourth was put through several yo-yo cycles of restricted and ad libitum feed, losing weight and then gaining it right back.

At the end of the study, the mice that remained obese throughout the experiment had markedly increased mortality: they lived, on average, for just 21 months, as compared to the 26-month average lifespan of the mice that had been put on the most extreme diets and kept at a normal weight. More surprising was the fact that the yo-yo mice also gained longevity, by virtue of their weight cycling: they lived an average of 23 months, about the same as the mice that were kept under chronic, moderate calorie restriction.

In other words—at least for mice—it may be that weight regain doesn’t cancel out all the benefits of dieting. Those who feel they’re going around in circles may take some solace in this notion: even if your fat cells tug and twist your weight loss back to zero, that doesn’t mean that you’ve been pulled back to where you started.

link - https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/unexpected-clues-emerge-about-why-diets-fail/
  • mkksemail
    @mkksemail Thanks for the link. It's an interesting article for sure. The Yo-Yo mice outcome surprised me! Kind of reinforces the idea of keep on keepin' on, even if you should backslide. And while this may seem disheartening, it really isn't if you remember about the Yo-Yo'ers and puts forth the idea that weight loss is very individual--what works for one may not work for another:

The one point on which nearly all researchers agree is that the physiology of weight regain, like the physiology of obesity itself, is almost certain to reflect a very complicated mix of factors ranging from genetics to behavior and the environment. That means we’re unlikely to find any magic-bullet method for keeping pounds from coming back.

Thanks, @Neon_hippie :). Yea, that absolutely surprised me too! And then I was ..... hmmmm 🤔💭 ..... and remembered that Dr. Valter Longo, the author of "The Longevity Diet", has pretty much said the same thing - periodic autophagic fasting (5 days of his "Fast Mimicking Diet"/FMD) leads to lengthened healthspan and lengthened lifespan in mice, and also in limited human trials. (I'm 3 Rounds in to a 4-monthly monthly Rounds protocol of his Prolon FMDs). And plus - I'm a YOYO! 😜, I lost 30 pds over 18 mos, starting 3 yrs ago, and gained it all back over about 15 mos :/. I'm just over 3-mos in to 'beginning again' (~ 18 lbs down, currently). So you know, it resonated with me ;-).

Cheers!
    ~ mk :)
  • MaryM6316
    MaryM6316 Posts: 6 Member
    The knee bone quote is right on. I can’t find a comfortable way to stack em now, guess I will try a pillow between them as I am a side sleeper all the way!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!