Your tricks to 'embrace' the pain of your lifestyle changes?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Wow... some of you need to get off of your pedestal. Everyone has different goals. Everyone's body reacts different to different food combinations. You really have to find what works for you. For me, I'm past the point of "healthy weight" and I'm really trying to lean out as much as possible before summer. So yes I DO have to deal with hunger. And yes I DO eat balanced meals. I can't eat processed meals anymore because they leave me ravenous all day, so eating natural foods throughout the weekdays are the only things that work for me. Also if you are doing HEAVY lifting you will generally struggle with hunger more than if you do cardio because of your muscle's need to replenish it's glycogen stores. So there are MANY factors that influence whether someone is hungry or not. Stop being so damn judgey and if you don't have anything positive to add then gtfo.

I'm in the process of leaning out prior to my first bulk and I do not deal with hunger outside of normal mild hunger (or appetite as mentioned above) before a meal.

I also eat "processed" meals all the time without being hungry. Reasonable calorie goals (0.5lb/week now that I'm 15-20lbs from goal) and eating enough fat and protein are miraculous things. As is figuring out my natural ideal eating pattern - smaller breakfast an lunch, most of my food in the evening, ideally less carbs in the morning and most of my carbs in the evening even though I work out usually around 2-3pm.

I also lift heavy (I am currently deadlifting 200lbs, this is without having bulked once in my life, so I'm pretty happy about that). I do maybe 90 minutes of cardio in a week and I'm actually hungrier on my one cardio-only day (30 minutes, maybe 40 minutes) than I am on my 4 lifting days (doing 10-15 mins cardio after lifting). I used to do 6-7hrs of cardio when I was younger in a week... I would be starving afterwards. Now I can easily wait a few hours before eating after lifting weights.

Your net goal seems pretty low for your weight. Even if I'm not exercising I don't net below 1900 calories. I'm a student who is otherwise fairly sedentary. This is probably why you deal with hunger.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I bulk at 2500 cals and I cut at 1600-1800. I deal with hunger because i'm cutting. I'm not doing a body recomposition...I don't do a "mild" deficit because I'm aiming for a certain physique within a certain time period. Generally I would agree that for a "lifestyle change" the deficit should be smaller, but a faster/harder cut and a slower/cleaner bulk work best for my body type.. I've been on the wagon a very LONG time, and I've already lost 90 lbs so I DO know what I'm doing. I'm also a certified personal trainer :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I bulk at 2500 cals and I cut at 1600-1800. I deal with hunger because i'm cutting. I'm not doing a body recomposition...I don't do a "mild" deficit because I'm aiming for a certain physique within a certain time period. Generally I would agree that for a "lifestyle change" the deficit should be smaller, but a faster/harder cut and a slower/cleaner bulk work best for my body type.. I've been on the wagon a very LONG time, and I've already lost 90 lbs so I DO know what I'm doing. I'm also a certified personal trainer :)

I'm cutting too... still no hunger. Actually I'm hungry now because I haven't eaten in hours, but it's not enough hunger to make me not be lazy and go eat food. Maybe you should be bulking less or starting your cuts earlier if you're trying to cut on a time frame. Assuming your maintenance is somewhere around 2300, a 1600 deficit is excessive.
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    I cut on a time frame because I do a shorter cut with a little higher deficit. My body doesn't like being in a deficit for more than about 3 months (even if its only by about 200 cals) I in no way meant for it to sound like I'm "miserable". I'm not. I even stated before If I feel "sick hungry" or crappy I will eat. I was just stating that there are times that are harder than others. I was just commenting to the OP that its not easy ALL the time. Some days are suckier than others. Its easy when you're at a certain body fat..but in order to push past a certain point it gets harder.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow... some of you need to get off of your pedestal. Everyone has different goals. Everyone's body reacts different to different food combinations. You really have to find what works for you. For me, I'm past the point of "healthy weight" and I'm really trying to lean out as much as possible before summer. So yes I DO have to deal with hunger. And yes I DO eat balanced meals. I can't eat processed meals anymore because they leave me ravenous all day, so eating natural foods throughout the weekdays are the only things that work for me. Also if you are doing HEAVY lifting you will generally struggle with hunger more than if you do cardio because of your muscle's need to replenish it's glycogen stores. So there are MANY factors that influence whether someone is hungry or not. Stop being so damn judgey and if you don't have anything positive to add then gtfo.

Please tell me you're not serious about the pedestal and judgey remarks. I mean, come on. ;)

Does your hunger cause you pain? If so, you may need to pay a visit to the doctor.

You say you do get hungry, but you don't elaborate on whether it causes you pain, and that's the subject matter.

I get hungry too, but it does not cause me pain. None whatsoever.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Wait - There's supposed to be pain?

I'm doin' it wrong then, I guess.
    Ooci wrote: »
    I think a lot of people just don't get that for some of us there's an over production of a hormone driving our hunger. Some of us are just hungrier than others. It doesn't matter that the deficit is tiny, that I'm careful to eat regularly and eat filling things, I could permanently eat a very hearty meal. Even an hour after just eating one.
    There have been studied into this and for some of us it's physically harder.

You are not a special snowflake.

We ALL deal with hunger.

These two comments are contradictory. In the first comment, you said hunger wasn't painful for you. That's great. Good for you. But OP says it's painful for her.

Hunger is not pain.

That's kinda why we have two different words: "hunger" and "pain", right?

Let me just break your kneecap and you can go ahead and tell me that's what different folks feel hunger as ... mmm-kay?

• lifeskittles
    Options
    I can understand how hunger can be painful to someone who isn't used to feeling that way. I don't feel pain when I'm hungry, but that doesn't mean I haven't before, and it could be real to someone who is just starting...the feeling can be uncomfortable. I really didn't take her as saying shes in physical pain, I took that more of a mental struggle sort of pain. But then again, that was how I read it. I could be wrong of course.
  • RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    His response is equivalent to sticking his fingers in his ears and repeating "neh neh neh can't hear you". If he disagrees, then that's fine, but instead of articulating his point he resorts to schoolyard tactics. I find it childish, more-so than my own reactions. You may disagree. I'm not really concerned to be honest. Anyway I'll not be engaging with him anymore and get back on topic.
  • RoToQ
    edited February 2015
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Wait - There's supposed to be pain?

I'm doin' it wrong then, I guess.
    I think a lot of people just don't get that for some of us there's an over production of a hormone driving our hunger. Some of us are just hungrier than others. It doesn't matter that the deficit is tiny, that I'm careful to eat regularly and eat filling things, I could permanently eat a very hearty meal. Even an hour after just eating one.

You are not a special snowflake.

We ALL deal with hunger.

These two comments are contradictory. In the first comment, you said hunger wasn't painful for you. That's great. Good for you. But OP says it's painful for her.

Hunger is not pain.

That's kinda why we have two different words: "hunger" and "pain", right?

Let me just break your kneecap and you can go ahead and tell me that's what different folks feel hunger as ... mmm-kay?

I know what pain is, and hunger CAN be painful. Not a mild appetite, but when I get very hungry, it is painful. You can create a strawman argument about kneecappings but that doesn't really serve much of a purpose. We have a word for cramp and a word for pain. Are cramps not painful? It doesn't hold up i'm afraid.

Again if you don't ever experience pain from hunger, fine. But you can't tell everyone else they don't.
  • RoToQ
    Options
    Would it help if we just substituted the word 'discomfort' in for pain. We can all agree that hunger is a negative feeling on the whole and then address how to deal with it?
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    "It IS easy, once you find the method that works for you (that's the hard part)."

This is basically the key to this whole thread: it's the experimenting and time used in the trial and error process that sucks. We make some progress, then backslide. Think something works, then something changes. BUT, when we finally find our own individual strategy it finally becomes easy. "Easy" being relative. There are still good days and bad, but at least we have the knowledge of what it takes to succeed and will use it the majority of the time.

Exactly! Unfortunately what should be a supportive forum turns into judgemental know-it-alls. Making any sort of change in your lifestyle will encounter barriers, such as the OP pain. Saying that this barrier doesn't exist, doesn't help. The solutions to those barriers will be individualized. We can trial and error possible solutions, suggested from others. But what will work for one, may not work for another
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »
    "It IS easy, once you find the method that works for you (that's the hard part)."

This is basically the key to this whole thread: it's the experimenting and time used in the trial and error process that sucks. We make some progress, then backslide. Think something works, then something changes. BUT, when we finally find our own individual strategy it finally becomes easy. "Easy" being relative. There are still good days and bad, but at least we have the knowledge of what it takes to succeed and will use it the majority of the time.

Exactly! Unfortunately what should be a supportive forum turns into judgemental know-it-alls. Making any sort of change in your lifestyle will encounter barriers, such as the OP pain. Saying that this barrier doesn't exist, doesn't help. The solutions to those barriers will be individualized. We can trial and error possible solutions, suggested from others. But what will work for one, may not work for another

You are right. Thank you for adding some common sense back to this thread.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I too just accept that there will be times when Im hungry and hope that as my body adjusts, the feeling will fad. Im also try to ensure I get enough water too, as not to mistake dehydration for hunger.

Overall, I think that when we are eating what we want and not working out and generally not taking good care of ourselves, we also embrace the suck... maybe its easier to embrace that suck?? I guess its just a different kind of suck we have to embrace. I just have to remember how horrible I felt being 60lbs + from where Im at today and compare that to how a little bit of hunger here and there feels. I will take this suck over that suck any day!

This was posted way back on the 1st page (2nd response to this thread) but I think was overlooked. Poster makes a very good point and it basically is the same thing that I see mentioned often on these boards: Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    RoToQ wrote: »
    Would it help if we just substituted the word 'discomfort' in for pain. We can all agree that hunger is a negative feeling on the whole and then address how to deal with it?
    No, not everyone agrees that hunger is a negative feeling, or even one that is uncomfortable. In fact, I saw upstream where someone welcomes hunger as she waits for that big tasty meal.

By your reply above, you're projecting an awful lot and trying to control the course of the conversation. And, you're calling another poster immature?

• SLLRunner
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »

What is supportive? Saying we feel something we don't? Or, simply telling our own truth and engaging in the conversation?

I would think the latter.

Nobody is judging here.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

To be completely honest, that sounds like a psychological issue rather than a physical one.

I have to agree with this. It might be helpful to speak to a professional about why it's physically harder, and why it's so painful to feel hunger. I could eat 24/7 but I don't because I want to be healthy. I've embraced the suck.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge isn't true hunger, it's the desire to eat in response to stress or because I want to celebrate or just because I want to do something pleasurable as a break from doing what I have to do (like homework). I didn't get 70 pounds overweight by chosing wisely and being in control. Gaining control is difficult for me.
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    lizek316 wrote: »
    I drink a LOT of water. But I've always liked water so that's not very difficult for me. The hunger feeling sucks for me when my acid reflux is acting up. All I want to do is eat to push the burning down. And some days, you are not going to be able to resist temptation and it's ok to give into it once in a while. Just don't over do it. Eat enough to make the hunger go away and then get back on track the next day. Or if you have the time the day you indulge, add an extra few minutes to your workout or go out for a walk at lunch. It's not always going to be easy, especially at first, but once you develop a routine and your body adjusts, it will get easier.

I definitely know the feeling of the acid reflux...NOT nice. Gross feeling

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I was taking this threads title to mean metaphorical pain, because changing habits is hard for a lot of people, me included. I also include myself in the hunger pains because I am never full. I have eaten until uncomfortably stuffed nearly my whole life, and it's hard to feel that no matter how much water I drink, or celery I eat, if I am craving Super Nachos I will still feel like I need to eat.