can stronglift be reduced to 3x5?

Options

Replies

• jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Mehdi isn't the world's leading source on anything. He did well in marketing an old lifting protocol. Which he uses to claim expert quals, but I'd like to see his educational pedigree and his body of original research contribution.

Mehdi is the world's leading source on how awesome Mehdi is. Mehdi designed a pretty functional app and marketed a very basic training protocol very similar to a half dozen others. He's no trainer and he's not remarkably strong. I don't know that he's anymore self promoting than Rippetoe. But that's a separate subject than what the OP is looking for.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you should not really change a structured program..it is designed to be 5x5 for a reason …I would suggest lowering the weights and still doing 5x5….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I try to get cardio in because my calorie goal to lose 2lbs a week is low is 1370, so I like to burn calories so I can eat more. I get that number based off mfp and I know its accurate because for 2 weeks I ignored that number and went 1500 instead and my weight loss was 1lb in both of those 2 weeks.

Weight lifting doesn't burn many calories, at least not in a quantitative manner like cardio does.

SL takes me about 45 to 55 minutes now that the weight has gotten heavier and I'm.having to do 3 minute breaks instead of 1.5 minutes. On workout A, the rests alone take 36 minutes minimum (5 sets with a rest after the first 4, not even counting the time it takes to get the setup for the next workout and the warmups. )

Its minimum 45. Today with deadlifts it took me 45 minutes and that was doing a mixture of 1.5 and 3 min rests between sets. Squats were not hard but I'm almost struggling with OH presses so I rested the full 3 on those.

1370 is tough to achieve without any exercise which is why I always do something, even if its just a brisk 20 minute walk.

LOL at a male only eating 1370 calories a day ….

• Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I try to get cardio in because my calorie goal to lose 2lbs a week is low is 1370, so I like to burn calories so I can eat more. I get that number based off mfp and I know its accurate because for 2 weeks I ignored that number and went 1500 instead and my weight loss was 1lb in both of those 2 weeks.

Weight lifting doesn't burn many calories, at least not in a quantitative manner like cardio does.

SL takes me about 45 to 55 minutes now that the weight has gotten heavier and I'm.having to do 3 minute breaks instead of 1.5 minutes. On workout A, the rests alone take 36 minutes minimum (5 sets with a rest after the first 4, not even counting the time it takes to get the setup for the next workout and the warmups. )

Its minimum 45. Today with deadlifts it took me 45 minutes and that was doing a mixture of 1.5 and 3 min rests between sets. Squats were not hard but I'm almost struggling with OH presses so I rested the full 3 on those.

1370 is tough to achieve without any exercise which is why I always do something, even if its just a brisk 20 minute walk.

Lol learn to read the entire thread because I have stated at least twice that I don't eat 1370 calories...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Mehdi isn't the world's leading source on anything. He did well in marketing an old lifting protocol. Which he uses to claim expert quals, but I'd like to see his educational pedigree and his body of original research contribution.

How dare you speak about the god of MFP that way, blasphemous. You know there is nothing better than StrongLifts don't you? :s

The program is great but Medhi is such a douche.
    Plus people typically say "Look at starting strength, stronglifts, etc"
    SS gets top billing lol
  • ndj1979
    Options

Lol learn to read the entire thread because I have stated at least twice that I don't eat 1370 calories...

hmmm interesting, considering several times you said you net 1340 …..if you are netting 1340 that is what you are consuming right….?/

calories consumed - calories burned = net calories ?

but hey, do what works for you brother…

the reason that you are having issues completing strong lifts at 5x5 is probably because you are netting so little calories….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

How dare you speak about the god of MFP that way, blasphemous. You know there is nothing better than StrongLifts don't you? :s

The program is great but Medhi is such a douche.
    Plus people typically say "Look at starting strength, stronglifts, etc"
    SS gets top billing lol

it seems like a good beginner program for people new to lifting, that is only reason I recommend it...
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So an adult male netting 1370?

*nvm I think ndj1979 just answered that for me. I also believe the struggles to complete your sets could be from low calorie intake (grain of salt).
  • Robbnva
    Options
    you should not really change a structured program..it is designed to be 5x5 for a reason …I would suggest lowering the weights and still doing 5x5….

You are such an expert. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it
  • Robbnva
    edited February 2015
    Options

hmmm interesting, considering several times you said you net 1340 …..if you are netting 1340 that is what you are consuming right….?/

the reason that you are having issues completing strong lifts at 5x5 is probably because you are netting so little calories….

If I am netting 1370, obviously that's not what I'm consuming. I've also gone to 2 different nutritionists (and BTW I hate nutritionist) and they both told me basically the same thing. Consume between 1500 to 1800 calories and don't worry about eating exercise calories back. I've also seen at least 50 diaries on mfp where grown *kitten* men net below 1400 calories, I've seen as low as 1000 calories (hell early on when I was doing cardio only I was netting between 1000 and 1,200). Having known people who have had weight loss surgery I know for a fact a grown *kitten* man can survive on far less than 1370 net calories, my uncle only consumes 1000 to 1200 calories a day. But thanks for your input.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options

You have to look at the reasons behind the volume. It's generally stated as volume for more hypertrophy (even though strength is the main focus) and practicing form. I can't answer for OP if he feels he has practiced the form enough yet, but generally when people are struggling with time due to longer rest times it is because they are starting to see more failure. I don't see why SL 5x5 switched to 3x5 is much different than the cutting version of ICF (except that it doesnt have all the assistance work tacked on) or SS which is 3x5 and basically switches out the row and cleans.

Anyway you hack it he has to modify a program. When he's looking at modifying what he's already doing, starting a new similar program, or him cutting the strength and muscle maintaining portion out... to me just dropping to 3x5 seems the most simple solution for what his goals are.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Mehdi is the world's leading source on how awesome Mehdi is. Mehdi designed a pretty functional app and marketed a very basic training protocol very similar to a half dozen others. He's no trainer and he's not remarkably strong. I don't know that he's anymore self promoting than Rippetoe. But that's a separate subject than what the OP is looking for.

This made me lol for realz.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Yeah I have no idea if my form is on point or not, I tried to videotape myself and my phone kept falling over. I did get someone to video my squats, overhead press, and deadlift. I also got advice about my rows but haven't shown anyone my videos yet for critique
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have no idea if my form is on point or not, I tried to videotape myself and my phone kept falling over. I did get someone to video my squats, overhead press, and deadlift. I also got advice about my rows but haven't shown anyone my videos yet for critique

This is a great place to get form critique:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/911984/form-critique-thread-post-your-videos-here
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Thx, I gotta upload them, maybe tonight
  • ndj1979
    Options

If I am netting 1370, obviously that's not what I'm consuming. I've also gone to 2 different nutritionists (and BTW I hate nutritionist) and they both told me basically the same thing. Consume between 1500 to 1800 calories and don't worry about eating exercise calories back. I've also seen at least 50 diaries on mfp where grown *kitten* men net below 1400 calories, I've seen as low as 1000 calories (hell early on when I was doing cardio only I was netting between 1000 and 1,200). Having known people who have had weight loss surgery I know for a fact a grown *kitten* man can survive on far less than 1370 net calories, my uncle only consumes 1000 to 1200 calories a day. But thanks for your input.

Ok..

good luck trying to incorporate a heavy lifting/strength program with a such a low net intake...

as an FYI, I have females on my friends list that consume more than you do....
  • ndj1979
    Options

You have to look at the reasons behind the volume. It's generally stated as volume for more hypertrophy (even though strength is the main focus) and practicing form. I can't answer for OP if he feels he has practiced the form enough yet, but generally when people are struggling with time due to longer rest times it is because they are starting to see more failure. I don't see why SL 5x5 switched to 3x5 is much different than the cutting version of ICF (except that it doesnt have all the assistance work tacked on) or SS which is 3x5 and basically switches out the row and cleans.

Anyway you hack it he has to modify a program. When he's looking at modifying what he's already doing, starting a new similar program, or him cutting the strength and muscle maintaining portion out... to me just dropping to 3x5 seems the most simple solution for what his goals are.

true ..

I just think that programs should be run as designed...

if OP has an issue with stronglifts then he could switch to a different program, or deload the weight to where he can do 5x5 ...that is all I was trying to say ...
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

true ..

if OP has an issue with stronglifts then he could switch to a different program, or deload the weight to where he can do 5x5 ...that is all I was trying to say ...

The issue isn't the weight.
    It's how long it takes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

true ..

It's how long it takes.

Isn't it taking longer because the weight is high enough that he has to rest longer between sets? I think he put it on the first page.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

true ..

It's how long it takes.

Isn't it taking longer because the weight is high enough that he has to rest longer between sets? I think he put it on the first page.

Yeah 3min break instead of the 1.5min
    Does Medhi say to automatically double the rest period length when the weights get heavy?
    I'm focusing on running not lifting so my weights are heavy enough to challenge me but light enough I can run 12hrs later so I don't need the long rest periods.

Also, since OP has stated that he doesn't want to get huge/whatever, wouldn't it be just a beneficial to slow the progression on adding weight? Instead of the 5# every workout, add 5# a week? That's kind of how I'm running it so I can still run.