Options
123457»

Replies

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Here is some support for why I’d do 5 x 3 heavier instead of 3 x 5 - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25546444. The additional sets should give you better strength gains/maintenance.

That's all well and good but he's already stated numerous times that he doesn't care about getting big or strong. 3x5, 3x a week is plenty for maintaining LBM during a cut, IMO. Especially if you're strapped for time. Crap, I'm only doing 2 workouts a week to maintain LBM during an aggressive cut. He'll be fine.

OP, thanks for asking this, I had the same question. The above is the answer I'm going with...
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Robbnva wrote: »
    I try to get cardio in because my calorie goal to lose 2lbs a week is low is 1370, so I like to burn calories so I can eat more. I get that number based off mfp and I know its accurate because for 2 weeks I ignored that number and went 1500 instead and my weight loss was 1lb in both of those 2 weeks.

Weight lifting doesn't burn many calories, at least not in a quantitative manner like cardio does.

SL takes me about 45 to 55 minutes now that the weight has gotten heavier and I'm.having to do 3 minute breaks instead of 1.5 minutes. On workout A, the rests alone take 36 minutes minimum (5 sets with a rest after the first 4, not even counting the time it takes to get the setup for the next workout and the warmups. )

Its minimum 45. Today with deadlifts it took me 45 minutes and that was doing a mixture of 1.5 and 3 min rests between sets. Squats were not hard but I'm almost struggling with OH presses so I rested the full 3 on those.

1370 is tough to achieve without any exercise which is why I always do something, even if its just a brisk 20 minute walk.

LOL at a male only eating 1370 calories a day ….

Lol learn to read the entire thread because I have stated at least twice that I don't eat 1370 calories...

hmmm interesting, considering several times you said you net 1340 …..if you are netting 1340 that is what you are consuming right….?/

calories consumed - calories burned = net calories ?

but hey, do what works for you brother…

the reason that you are having issues completing strong lifts at 5x5 is probably because you are netting so little calories….

If I am netting 1370, obviously that's not what I'm consuming. I've also gone to 2 different nutritionists (and BTW I hate nutritionist) and they both told me basically the same thing. Consume between 1500 to 1800 calories and don't worry about eating exercise calories back. I've also seen at least 50 diaries on mfp where grown *kitten* men net below 1400 calories, I've seen as low as 1000 calories (hell early on when I was doing cardio only I was netting between 1000 and 1,200). Having known people who have had weight loss surgery I know for a fact a grown *kitten* man can survive on far less than 1370 net calories, my uncle only consumes 1000 to 1200 calories a day. But thanks for your input.

Ok..

good luck trying to incorporate a heavy lifting/strength program with a such a low net intake...

as an FYI, I have females on my friends list that consume more than you do....

Good for them. I follow what my fitness pal tells me, so I think you should contact them and tell them their formula is wrong because in your opinion guys should not be netting that low of a calorie range. I'm sure your opinion is backed by some sort of medical degree or knowledge right? I know mine certainly is and I am pretty sure mfp isn't just arbitrarily assigning numbers without consulting some sort of medical expert.(maybe they are?)

I will say you have helped me realize the error I had been making, I probably shouldn't be trying to progress to stronger weights if my goal is to just stay the same strength/prevent muscle loss. I'll deload a bit and stick with what I can do without the longer rest periods and focus on my original goal of weight loss.

Thanks
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I try to get cardio in because my calorie goal to lose 2lbs a week is low is 1370, so I like to burn calories so I can eat more. I get that number based off mfp and I know its accurate because for 2 weeks I ignored that number and went 1500 instead and my weight loss was 1lb in both of those 2 weeks.

Weight lifting doesn't burn many calories, at least not in a quantitative manner like cardio does.

SL takes me about 45 to 55 minutes now that the weight has gotten heavier and I'm.having to do 3 minute breaks instead of 1.5 minutes. On workout A, the rests alone take 36 minutes minimum (5 sets with a rest after the first 4, not even counting the time it takes to get the setup for the next workout and the warmups. )

Its minimum 45. Today with deadlifts it took me 45 minutes and that was doing a mixture of 1.5 and 3 min rests between sets. Squats were not hard but I'm almost struggling with OH presses so I rested the full 3 on those.

1370 is tough to achieve without any exercise which is why I always do something, even if its just a brisk 20 minute walk.

LOL at a male only eating 1370 calories a day ….

Lol learn to read the entire thread because I have stated at least twice that I don't eat 1370 calories...

hmmm interesting, considering several times you said you net 1340 …..if you are netting 1340 that is what you are consuming right….?/

calories consumed - calories burned = net calories ?

but hey, do what works for you brother…

the reason that you are having issues completing strong lifts at 5x5 is probably because you are netting so little calories….

If I am netting 1370, obviously that's not what I'm consuming. I've also gone to 2 different nutritionists (and BTW I hate nutritionist) and they both told me basically the same thing. Consume between 1500 to 1800 calories and don't worry about eating exercise calories back. I've also seen at least 50 diaries on mfp where grown *kitten* men net below 1400 calories, I've seen as low as 1000 calories (hell early on when I was doing cardio only I was netting between 1000 and 1,200). Having known people who have had weight loss surgery I know for a fact a grown *kitten* man can survive on far less than 1370 net calories, my uncle only consumes 1000 to 1200 calories a day. But thanks for your input.

Ok..

good luck trying to incorporate a heavy lifting/strength program with a such a low net intake...

as an FYI, I have females on my friends list that consume more than you do....

Good for them. I follow what my fitness pal tells me, so I think you should contact them and tell them their formula is wrong because in your opinion guys should not be netting that low of a calorie range. I'm sure your opinion is backed by some sort of medical degree or knowledge right? I know mine certainly is and I am pretty sure mfp isn't just arbitrarily assigning numbers without consulting some sort of medical expert.(maybe they are?)

I will say you have helped me realize the error I had been making, I probably shouldn't be trying to progress to stronger weights if my goal is to just stay the same strength/prevent muscle loss. I'll deload a bit and stick with what I can do without the longer rest periods and focus on my original goal of weight loss.

Thanks

I said guys that are trying to incorporate a strength based program should not be netting that little.

its pretty simple, if you are trying to incorporate a strength training program then you need to be consuming adequate calories to complete said program.

If you are having problems with 5x5 and are netting such a low intake, then that is more than likely the issue.

Would you rather be skinny fat OR retain as much LBM as possible, reduce body fat, and be strong...??

I base this with my own experience with lifting. When eating in a surplus during my bulk, my lifts were progressing, and I felt energize during all my workouts. Then, I transitioned to my cut and within the second week, I could feel my lifts starting to stall out and felt less energized. What was the difference? Lower calories...

and it is not just me, look it up for yourself and you will find the answers.

here are some resources for you ...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/
    www.muscleandstrength.com
    http://workoutlab.net/ (note what it says in huge letters on the first page EAT)

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can we just let this thread die already??? Are we "arguing" to help, or to be right?

OP doesn't want to be strong. He doesn't want to progress in his lifts. He wants to lose weight and be thin. Low cals is the way to do it. He should be able to do that AND lifting a couple of times per week to try to minimize muscle loss, but clearly his primary goals is simple, quick weight loss.

He's been "warned" about the possible side effects of low cals. If he stalls out or loses too much lean mass, then it's on him. We can only do so much. His goals are his goals, his preferences are his preferences. Let's move along.

If he feels good and is progressing towards his primary goals, isn't that what matters?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Can we just let this thread die already??? Are we "arguing" to help, or to be right?

OP doesn't want to be strong. He doesn't want to progress in his lifts. He wants to lose weight and be thin. Low cals is the way to do it. He should be able to do that AND lifting a couple of times per week to try to minimize muscle loss, but clearly his primary goals is simple, quick weight loss.

He's been "warned" about the possible side effects of low cals. If he stalls out or loses too much lean mass, then it's on him. We can only do so much. His goals are his goals, his preferences are his preferences. Let's move along.

If he feels good and is progressing towards his primary goals, isn't that what matters?

Nah man, we need another 125 posts of people who can't read the thread, can't read (or comprehend) the OP, all while arguing about everything related and unrelated under the sun.

So uhhh, how about Better Call Saul? Better than expected? I think so.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

yup.

I think at this point, he's just being beaten on with knowledge he's not interested in.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

DopeItUp wrote: »

Nah man, we need another 125 posts of people who can't read the thread, can't read (or comprehend) the OP, all while arguing about everything related and unrelated under the sun.

So uhhh, how about Better Call Saul? Better than expected? I think so.

better call saul is freaking awesome!
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    What did db say? I cant see lol
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

yup.

I think at this point, he's just being beaten on with knowledge he's not interested in.

Quoting for Robbnva.