Low Carb diet worth it?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Can't seem to find an English version of the one from 1939, but I'm sure you have a link for it?

ayeeeeee library ftw

Why? I'm not the one putting it out there, surely, you've read it, you can at least give an overview - sample size, methodology, findings, right?

I'll provide that once you link to me to all the peer reviewed literature from reddit forum ;)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Can't seem to find an English version of the one from 1939, but I'm sure you have a link for it?

ayeeeeee library ftw

Why? I'm not the one putting it out there, surely, you've read it, you can at least give an overview - sample size, methodology, findings, right?

I'll provide that once you link to me to all the peer reviewed literature from reddit forum ;)

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketoscience/search?q=flair:'exercise'&sort=new&restrict_sr=on

Yeah, so, anyway, your abstract?

btw, those are only the ones tagged exercise specific, use the other tags in the sidebar if you want all the ones related to Biochemistry, Cholesterol, Diabetes, Epidemiology, General, Long-term,
    Nutrients, and Neurology
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Personally it works for me, I like it's effects both on weightloss and on general well being. For me, keto is also used to treat a nervous system disorder. So keto flu and the difficulties of cooking keto is worthwhile as I've been able to decrease my medication on this diet. Different strokes for different folks.
  • LolBroScience
    edited February 2015
    Options

ayeeeeee library ftw

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketoscience/search?q=flair:'exercise'&sort=new&restrict_sr=on

btw, those are only the ones tagged exercise specific, use the other tags in the sidebar if you want all the ones related to Biochemistry, Cholesterol, Diabetes, Epidemiology, General, Long-term,
    Nutrients, and Neurology

brb visiting local library to prove that carbs are beneficial for someone with no interest in lifting, athletics, or strength training.

So far what I've seen is a handful of rat studies. Good thing they're athletic.

My original argument was that oven long term, the studies indicated greater benefit for athletes on with a higher carb intake (I'm still going through the links but so far I see a 12 week study, a 3 week study, etc).
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The benefits of low carb diets are overhyped and exaggerated--but if you ignore the hype and look at the evidence, there ARE a lot of good reasons behind the concept. Just the extreme fad diets like Atkins are generally unnecessary.

Mainly it's just a good idea to be mindful of insulin spikes and carb crashes, but eating a well balanced diet will eliminate a lot of unnecessary carbs anyway. The main issue that I see with our modern diet is it's so carb heavy in the mornings, which is when we're more insulin sensitive. Unless you're running a marathon after breakfast, you don't need a boatload of carbs first thing in the day.

I keep a lower carb diet, nothing extreme. They comprise generally a third of my calories, no more than 40%. I have protein and fats for breakfast, keep processed sugary carbs to a minimum, and limit carb heavy meals like pasta to a once or twice a week thing. Pair carbs with protein and fats to slow absorption and avoid crashes. Just good sense. No need for a real 'diet' diet.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

ayeeeeee library ftw

Nutrients, and Neurology

brb visiting local library to prove that carbs are beneficial for someone with no interest in lifting, athletics, or strength training.

Don't forget it has to be in English, too.
  • LolBroScience
    edited February 2015
    Options

ayeeeeee library ftw

Nutrients, and Neurology

Don't forget it has to be in English, too.

See edited text above.

Either way, my comment was tongue in cheek.

I'm literally not going to go to the library to dig up a 1939 study, lmao.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've tried the low carb thing, I couldn't put energy into my workouts so I vote no
  • becky841
    becky841 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I did low carbs for over a year. I reached my goal and it should have felt great, but I was too exhausted to enjoy it. My periods were all over the place, I was moody and ready for bed by 7pm. I will never do it again!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Not sure what the argument is. Glucose will virtually always be metabolised quicker than stored fat.

yep, you have to get any excess of that stuff out of the bloodstream to limit the damage it does.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    tried it and dont get me wrong it worked but i cant live that way. i felt drained crappy and no energy for workouts even though i increased fat and protein.. still felt like crap but it works for some people
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    If that is the full list, I wouldn't call it 'vast majority'.

No source for the image so no idea how comprehensive it is or the selection process used. Doesn't include http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24861453 for starters.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

No source for the image so no idea how comprehensive it is or the selection process used. Doesn't include http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24861453 for starters.

Certainly not a full list
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Wasn't one of those study authors being quite deceptive about Tim Olson's diet? Trying to pass it off as low carb when the reality was that it wasn't low carb.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    To me, low carb / keto are for the inactive people to lose weight to possibly the semi-active. It's easier to cut out carb calories than any other in my opinion so it works well for the people who don't move a lot and don't get to eat very much. Once you become an active person, that changes in my opinion.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "worth it." I'm very active and have been experimenting with lower carbs recently -- only by reducing bread/rice/pasta, but still eating plenty of vegetables. The only physical difference I've noticed is that I look a bit more defined and tight, but I'm not sure it's enough of a difference for anyone else to notice! :) However, it makes me feel very good mentally, so for me it's "worth it." I haven't been depriving myself and I try to eat a wrap 1 or 2 times a week just because I like them and it doesn't change the increased muscular definition I see.
  • WxMstr
    WxMstr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Saltfuture wrote: »
    It's the only thing that's ever worked for me. I'm very low carb. (less than 20) Never hungry. Don't crave grains or sweets anymore. More than halfway to my goal. I also lift and have no problems gaining muscle. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    20% of total calories is carbs? Or only 20g of carbs a day? That would be insane lol. Low carb works though, it's not good if your a college student and want to do well on exams
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My experience on low carb was very bad. I love bread & carbs so for me it was very difficult to give it up and at the end of the low carb diet, I started binging and gained more than I lost.

I finally had success reaching and maintaining my weight loss goal just eating less calories and including carbs. Also, I couldn't imagine going back to low carb given my activity level. Currently running between 20-30 miles per week and looking to up this gradually over the year. My running suffers when I don't eat a good portion of carbs.

Personally, I will be glad when the low carb fad goes the way of past fads. I totally believe there is room for them in a healthy diet.

It's been around since the 1920's, I suggest you not hold your breath.

Well lots of things have been around since the 1920's, just doesn't mean they've been "trendy" that entire time. ;)

PS not holding my breath. Too busy eating carbs. ;)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the argument is. Glucose will virtually always be metabolised quicker than stored fat.

yep, you have to get any excess of that stuff out of the bloodstream to limit the damage it does.

Or you can store it as glycogen or fat for later use. Just like anything else.

Or store it as fat if you're glycogen replete. And I don't want any more fat, especially not liver fat, but also not the kind on my hips!