Low Carb diet worth it?

Options
12346»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Wasn't one of those study authors being quite deceptive about Tim Olson's diet? Trying to pass it off as low carb when the reality was that it wasn't low carb.

Apocryphal.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    grnice39 wrote: »
    The problem I have with keto or real low carb is that for most people (there are always exceptions) it isn't a lifestyle change. Most people on this website want to lose the weight and keep it off. I have yet to meet one person (and I know a lot) who have done low carb, lost the weight and not gained most of it back. It's very difficult to maintain for life.

You gain weight by eating too many calories. LC isn't some magic bullet that turns fat off and then back on if you go off of it. Your friends gained weight because they ate too much food.

I think you're missing the point. The issue is maintainability. If you cannot stick to a diet forever DO NOT BOTHER. I also don't know anyone who maintain low carb forever. It's just too restrictive. Moderation & a modest deficit are key to long term success because you can still eat the foods you like.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I also don't know anyone who maintain low carb forever. It's just too restrictive. Moderation & a modest deficit are key to long term success because you can still eat the foods you like.

It may be too restrictive for you but I and many others enjoy the foods we eat on low carb. No more pasta - liberation ! No dry chicken breast with rabbit food, etc.

Strangely I don't feel compelled to tell people trying to eat a bit less of the same things that it won't work because they "can't do it forever" but that's in part because nobody needs to do a weight loss program forever.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The problem I have with keto or real low carb is that for most people (there are always exceptions) it isn't a lifestyle change. Most people on this website want to lose the weight and keep it off. I have yet to meet one person (and I know a lot) who have done low carb, lost the weight and not gained most of it back. It's very difficult to maintain for life.

You gain weight by eating too many calories. LC isn't some magic bullet that turns fat off and then back on if you go off of it. Your friends gained weight because they ate too much food.

I think you're missing the point. The issue is maintainability. If you cannot stick to a diet forever DO NOT BOTHER. I also don't know anyone who maintain low carb forever. It's just too restrictive. Moderation & a modest deficit are key to long term success because you can still eat the foods you like.

I've done it 15 years. The owner of the site I linked earlier has done it 11. You not knowing anyone who managed to do it correctly is not the same thing as people can't do it.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I've done it 15 years. The owner of the site I linked earlier has done it 11. You not knowing anyone who managed to do it correctly is not the same thing as people can't do it.

This is heartening to hear. After 10 years of "carbs in moderation" I now HAVE to go low carb, as in carbs from mostly veggies only. I'm glad to hear you've found it so sustainable.
  • olyjok
    olyjok Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I have decided to eat Carbs and workout a bit harder. I realized that I would not be able to stick to no carbs. I love them way too much! Sorry for hostile environment. Next time I'll think about how I word my questions. Thank You for the support. If any lifters want to friend me that would be awesome! I'm slowly working weights in, and have many questions.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    olyjok wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input. I have decided to eat Carbs and workout a bit harder. I realized that I would not be able to stick to no carbs. I love them way too much! Sorry for hostile environment. Next time I'll think about how I word my questions. Thank You for the support. If any lifters want to friend me that would be awesome! I'm slowly working weights in, and have many questions.

Don't worry it's not your fault, it's just a very hangry place!!
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I also don't know anyone who maintain low carb forever. It's just too restrictive. Moderation & a modest deficit are key to long term success because you can still eat the foods you like.

It may be too restrictive for you but I and many others enjoy the foods we eat on low carb. No more pasta - liberation ! No dry chicken breast with rabbit food, etc.

Strangely I don't feel compelled to tell people trying to eat a bit less of the same things that it won't work because they "can't do it forever" but that's in part because nobody needs to do a weight loss program forever.

This. I've had struggles with low carb, gluten free vegan, and moderation of a wide variety of common and often low nutrient foods, actually, but the worst of the three is definitely moderation.
  • twins2x2
    Options
    A low carb/Keto diet is what my body needs. My only thing is I didn't give up the coffee like suggested, but the world thanks me for not giving up coffee. That would not be pretty if I gave that up, especially with 2 sets of twins. Because I didn't give that up I never went through the sluggish blah feeling during the first few weeks. I feel great and my motivation is coming back. I'm 4 weeks in and down 12lbs. I followed this diet in the 90's and lost 55lbs
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    twins2x2 wrote: »
    A low carb/Keto diet is what my body needs. My only thing is I didn't give up the coffee like suggested, but the world thanks me for not giving up coffee. That would not be pretty if I gave that up, especially with 2 sets of twins. Because I didn't give that up I never went through the sluggish blah feeling during the first few weeks. I feel great and my motivation is coming back. I'm 4 weeks in and down 12lbs. I followed this diet in the 90's and lost 55lbs

Oh my gosh, what is the age difference of your twins? It takes a lot of energy and effort to change one's diet, but if it gives you more fuel to raise two sets of twins; I think that says a lot. Good thing coffee has plenty of health benefits too!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A low carb/Keto diet is what my body needs. My only thing is I didn't give up the coffee like suggested,

Coffee has a negligible amount of carbs and calories. Even if you add cream and/or artificial sweeteners to coffee, it's still very low carb.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

I have one set of twins, they're nearly grown, and they can still run me ragged some weeks. Kudos to you! And keep your coffee if it helps, lol.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    olyjok wrote: »
    I have researched this topic a bit and have no idea what the truth is. Looking for some hands on experiences good or bad. I am very active with running and will be lifting soon.

It's worth it if it works for you. Only way to find out is to try...

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    No. You feel drained and moody.

I'm currently cutting weight at 248 carbs a day- and I feel great and my strength is up. I'll never do low carb dieting again.

At the end of the day, calories matter the most.

You only feel drained and moody the first few days. It's called "low-carb flu." For most, it goes away as their body adjusts. As long as the person is eating enough fat, which is now their primary source of energy, most feel just fine on a low-carb diet.
  • Jolinia
    Options

I'm currently cutting weight at 248 carbs a day- and I feel great and my strength is up. I'll never do low carb dieting again.

You only feel drained and moody the first few days. It's called "low-carb flu." For most, it goes away as their body adjusts. As long as the person is eating enough fat, which is now their primary source of energy, most feel just fine on a low-carb diet.

Much as I love love carb for me, this isn't necessarily true for everyone. In addition, I notice I do best in a lighter ketosis range and sometimes will get drained and moody in the heaviest range. I suspect other people might find it beneficial to play with their carbs to find the optimal range for energy, too.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

Much as I love love carb for me, this isn't necessarily true for everyone. In addition, I notice I do best in a lighter ketosis range and sometimes will get drained and moody in the heaviest range. I suspect other people might find it beneficial to play with their carbs to find the optimal range for energy, too.

I know it's not true for everyone which is why I didn't say 'everyone' :)
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Whenever I tried low carb in the past my energy level plummets! Plus I experience lethargy and blurred vision. For me this is a serious health concern and not something that I'm willing to endure for months. Plus I've dealt with low blood sugar in the past and the only way to raise it is by eating a balanced diet with carbs. Plus low carb makes me a very grouchy person, oh and constipated!
  • eveedance
    Options
    To answer OP's question. Yes, it is possibly worth it

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1900694

Again, someone please tell me how to post PDFs and I can give you the full article.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

I know it's not true for everyone which is why I didn't say 'everyone' :)

Sorry, I misread. I plead low coffee levels in my system!