The Truth about Calorie Restriction

Options

Replies

• kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    "Any issues that I have now are no longer to be blamed on my diet. My period cramps have improved greatly to where they're almost non-existent, I handle my stress much better, I no longer obsess about food or weight, my sinuses have improved to almost having no issues at all, my energy levels have improved, I no longer get seemingly random headaches, my memory is superb, I'm no longer constipated, my stomach doesn't bloat, and the list goes on."

THIS sounds like you are in a much better place than you were before, regardless of weight. I am happy you found something that is working to help you feel healthier. Life is too short to be miserable. If you are happy then I am happy for you :)

Obsessing over anything, especially food and weight, is a depressing thought! Feeling starving all the time is a terrible feeling. The combination of all three? Maddening to say the least. Way to go for accepting what makes you happy, even if it means you don't reach all of your goals. Some things are more important than the number on the scale :smiley:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So you got overweight, lost weight, regained weight, are now at your staring weight but have gone vegan and are so sure that this is going to work that you've some to tell everyone they're doing it wrong, even though you haven't actually lost weight being vegan?
  • patches212
    patches212 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "I also knew I wouldn't have health issues from going vegetarian. If anything, my health would be better."

Ummmmm. No.

However good luck all the same in finding what works for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So you got overweight, lost weight, regained weight, are now at your staring weight but have gone vegan and are so sure that this is going to work that you've some to tell everyone they're doing it wrong, even though you haven't actually lose weight being vegan?

^I think this is the best TL;DR so far of the OP :laugh:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    So you got overweight, lost weight, regained weight, are now at your staring weight but have gone vegan and are so sure that this is going to work that you've some to tell everyone they're doing it wrong, even though you haven't actually lose weight being vegan?

Throw in a few scientific inaccuracies and make it a lot wordier and you have the OP.
  • ayanasioux
    ayanasioux Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Another highly successful bait thread. Gotta love it!

Not a bait thread, just telling my life story. My instagram was just so that people would know I'm not a gimic. I'm just a regular person.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Caloric restriction got me from 220 to 143 and healthier than ever.

• fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    im gonna have some moose meat that i shot in the fall tomorow for dinner.. on friday im gonna eat some deer meat (venison) that I also shot... saturday will be a canada goose... shot that one too...
    OP ya.. im a member of PETA toooo
    (People Eating Tasty Animals)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Am I seeing things? Is it OP?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Welp, I read it. I think I may have some wine.

At least it's vegan, so it won't make me gain weight.

Are you sure? Most wine is not considered vegan.

I really have no idea :blush:

I just assumed grapes = vegan. But I am definitely no expert on vegan diets, and were I to try one, I would undoubtedly fail miserably.

Its the fining agent - its usually animal product based. It also may make the wine not gluten free!

I guess that makes it not a "whole" food then. It will make me gain weight for sure.

Oh well. It's worth it.

The things that aren't vegan are amazing. Plywood is made with blood glue. Talk about using all the parts of the animal . . .
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    ayanasioux wrote: »

Not a bait thread, just telling my life story. My instagram was just so that people would know I'm not a gimic. I'm just a regular person.

You didn't just tell your story .. you attempted to lecture and got several key scientific principles wrong in the process.

"An adult needs at least 2000 calories to adequately function daily in order to be healthy" --- some adults do, many don't.
    "Anything lower than that is considered starvation according the world health organization." -- no, it isn't.
    "The reason we all lose weight by restricting our calories is because we are going through starvation, and the body uses long term energy sources (fat) to replace the calorie deficient." --- there is a huge difference between a reasonable deficit and starvation.
    "Your body will only take but so much abuse before it goes into that mode. 2000 calories gives the body enough energy to sustain a healthy weight and to lose weight if you're over your healthy weight." -- again with the 2000 calorie fallacy.
    "I can tell you that its not how much you eat, but what you eat. Doing this calorie restriction will just keep you on a roller coaster of fluctuating weight that will drive you insane." ---- wrong. In fact, losing weight requires a caloric deficit.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but you quoted me why exactly?

Maybe OP changed her mind and your quote was the turning point.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rebeccaxf wrote: »
    Wow..... the amount of flaming and general rudeness in the replies is astounding. Agree or disagree the OP, whatever happened to respectful (not personal) discussion?!

I feel you. But I'm not taking it personal at all. I'm not surprised by this because I came to a site where people are here to restrict their calories. I would have said the same thing during those times myself.

LOL ..

the return of the OP …

OP the only way to lose weight for 100% of the human population is CICO ….which involves calorie restriction ...

• stevencloser
    Options

You didn't just tell your story .. you attempted to lecture and got several key scientific principles wrong in the process.

"An adult needs at least 2000 calories to adequately function daily in order to be healthy" --- some adults do, many don't.
    "Anything lower than that is considered starvation according the world health organization." -- no, it isn't.
    "The reason we all lose weight by restricting our calories is because we are going through starvation, and the body uses long term energy sources (fat) to replace the calorie deficient." --- there is a huge difference between a reasonable deficit and starvation.
    "Your body will only take but so much abuse before it goes into that mode. 2000 calories gives the body enough energy to sustain a healthy weight and to lose weight if you're over your healthy weight." -- again with the 2000 calorie fallacy.
    "I can tell you that its not how much you eat, but what you eat. Doing this calorie restriction will just keep you on a roller coaster of fluctuating weight that will drive you insane." ---- wrong. In fact, losing weight requires a caloric deficit.
    Well, a deficit is technically controlled starving. Technically.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Well, technically it isn't according to Merriam-Webster ....
    "to suffer or die from lack of food : to suffer extreme hunger"
  • stevencloser
    Options
    You aren't suffering? :p
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh my god I just spent my evening reading this entire thread, and in an M. Night Shyamalan twist, OP comes back in the end! I did not see that coming.

Nicely done, everyone. (*slow clap*)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

well then technically eating in a small surplus would be binging..

we can play this semantical game all night ….
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Oh my god I just spent my evening reading this entire thread, and in an M. Night Shyamalan twist, OP comes back in the end! I did not see that coming.

Nicely done, everyone. (*slow clap*)

It was definitely better than any of Shyamalan's more recent stuff.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    avshwartz wrote: »
    Yay! Somebody who understands what i understand! Diets are stupid. Eat whole foods. Cut out junk like dairy, meat and gluten. Carb the *kitten* up and feel better than ever!
    Ps. You're advocating for this lifestyle in the wrong place. These people dont want to hear that there's another way besides calorie restriction!

dairy, meat, and gluten are junk…really????

Now that's a first...

Also, my LBM would argue otherwise!

Maybe they mean the junk in yer trunk?
This discussion has been closed.