I cannot gain weight.. CANT DO IT ;(

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    people who think they eat a lot generally don't

Just like people who think they don't eat that much actually do. The brain seems to be the biggest enemy whether it's weight loss or weight gain.

And as a random comment, peanut butter is a huge recommendation thrown out for what to eat to get more calories as well. And no one checks to see if the person has peanut allergies.

Typically the recommendations are a long list of calorie dense food, which often include many things but also peanut butter, ice cream, and cookies. People should take from the list what works for them. Period.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    isocom79 wrote: »
    Emily and Wheelhouse why is it so hard to explain why you should eat ice cream, pizza, etc for added calories? Why not focus on clean healthy alternatives? You can get plenty of calories for things other than dairy products.

And besides that...clearly neither of you have the credentials to defend your assertions nor apparently the mental fortitude to explain them either. Is it really that big of a deal to simply explain why you recommend what you recommend? Or can you only recommend what someone else recommended via the grapr vine?

I passed my micro bio, neuro phys, and bio chem courses. I don't need to go to a cheap magazine article, but your debating skills are as bad as they come.
    Or to take advice from my GP who is actually obese. Yeup, OK.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Emily and Wheelhouse why is it so hard to explain why you should eat ice cream, pizza, etc for added calories? Why not focus on clean healthy alternatives? You can get plenty of calories for things other than dairy products.

And besides that...clearly neither of you have the credentials to defend your assertions nor apparently the mental fortitude to explain them either. Is it really that big of a deal to simply explain why you recommend what you recommend? Or can you only recommend what someone else recommended via the grapr vine?

I passed my micro bio, neuro phys, and bio chem courses. I don't need to go to a cheap magazine article, but your debating skills are as bad as they come.

LOL how many health practisioners are obese and in ill health? A lot!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I was just listening to an NPR story about how many older Americans are finding themselves overweight and at risk for serious health problems and so they are being encouraged to lose weight. They "listened in" on one woman speaking to her doctor about weight loss, and they pointed out that the doctor was also overweight. The doctor said to "eat vegetables because the fiber helps free fat". Um, yeah...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I was just listening to an NPR story about how many older Americans are finding themselves overweight and at risk for serious health problems and so they are being encouraged to lose weight. They "listened in" on one woman speaking to her doctor about weight loss, and they pointed out that the doctor was also overweight. The doctor said to "eat vegetables because the fiber helps free fat". Um, yeah...
    Pass the brocc, doc!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Problem is that not all doctors are very well educated in the preventative aspects of health so they may be no further a head of most when it comes to diet and exercise knowledge despite their education. I remember reading a good book by Dr. David Ruben back in the 80's and he said that the average doctor knew only a little more than his receptionist, unless she was overweight then she probably knew a little bit more than him (yes, the language was sexist when writen). I hope that things have really changed but I'm not so sure after reading your post.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am having trouble gaining weight too I haven't eaten right not exercising and not feeling good about myself. I started the gym at 88 pounds 6 years ago I been lifting more than before eating more protein bars and eating more but no gaining but I realized that you have to push yourself to the limit to do it I have a trainer that helps me I weighed 88 pounds now I set my short goal to 110 pounds now I I hit my goal of 110 pounds today on February 20th 2015 and starting a new goal of 120 pounds. I feels good to weigh 110 pounds now. If you want to succeed in life and weight gain push yourself to the limit and you will succeed.

Wow! That's great buddy! What happened to you that you were 88 lbs?!! If it's too personal to post on here or whatever I understand, anyway it's great to see you've hit 110, and making new goals as you go along that's awesome. How tall are you?
  • se015
    Options
    And for the love of Christ (sorry if that offended anyone), leave that srdk or whatever his name is alone. haha. He does somewhat have a point. Most of us don't follow this, but eating healthy should be somewhat of a priority. I mean let's not tell people who want to gain weight to eat boxes of oreos everyday, I mean honestly when we get older we're going to pay for it health wise. We all don't think about that now because most of us our fairly young it seems. Now don't get me wrong I don't really watch what I eat, but I can tell you that I don't eat pizza, I don't eat ice cream, I don't cookies and cakes. I have managed to still gain weight and eat lots of calories without eating said items. We should welcome all people's opinions and suggestions, the OP can take whatever opinon is most helpful in the end.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    And for the love of Christ (sorry if that offended anyone), leave that srdk or whatever his name is alone. haha. He does somewhat have a point. Most of us don't follow this, but eating healthy should be somewhat of a priority. I mean let's not tell people who want to gain weight to eat boxes of oreos everyday, I mean honestly when we get older we're going to pay for it health wise. We all don't think about that now because most of us our fairly young it seems. Now don't get me wrong I don't really watch what I eat, but I can tell you that I don't eat pizza, I don't eat ice cream, I don't cookies and cakes. I have managed to still gain weight and eat lots of calories without eating said items. We should welcome all people's opinions and suggestions, the OP can take whatever opinon is most helpful in the end.

Yea, no one told anyone to eat boxes of Oreos every day. How hard of a concept is it? Meet your nutritional requirements. Fill the rest up with foods you enjoy. It's a simple concept but everyone seems to always go to "eat boxes of Oreos everyday" despite the fact that it is never recommended by anyone. A healthy diet ( and by healthy, I mean just as healthy as a completely whole food, nutrient dense diet or any other for that matter) can include pizza, cookies, Oreos, ice cream, or anything else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Can you please point out where anyone told anyone else to eat a whole box of oreos

yes, I second this, please find the direct quote where anyone said "eat a whole box of oreos"…

I won't hold my breath….
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Chocolate....I but look at it!
  • se015
    Options
    Not saying anyone said that, I was basically making point because people were apparently against the idea of someone encouraging to eat healthy. That is all.
  • se015
    Options
    Nobody got my point...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Nobody got my point...

It's okay, you didn't get their point either.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Not saying anyone said that, I was basically making point because people were apparently against the idea of someone encouraging to eat healthy. That is all.

no one was against eating healthy ..

the poster created a straw man argument saying that some of us were advocating for a diet of Pizza, cookies and ice cream all day. I believe his quote was "hoarding ice cream"…

No one made that argument. What we all said is eat foods to hit your macro and micro goal for the day and then fill in your other calories with whatever gets you there. In my case, I suggested bagels, pasta, ice cream, cookies etc. I never once said get 100% of your calories from those foods.

why don't you understand that?
  • se015
    Options
    haha, guess not.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I think most people just don't really get how hard it is to actually hit your macros and micros every day. If people truly understood that to really do it right, it takes work. You will have to eat a variety of nutrient dense foods otherwise you will never get there. The lower the calorie goal, the more strict one will have to be. How one can honestly think that when people say IIFYM or what have you, that someone is advocating cake and ice cream all day is beyond me.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I think most people just don't really get how hard it is to actually hit your macros and micros every day. If people truly understood that to really do it right, it takes work. You will have to eat a variety of nutrient dense foods otherwise you will never get there. The lower the calorie goal, the more strict one will have to be. How one can honestly think that when people say IIFYM or what have you, that someone is advocating cake and ice cream all day is beyond me.

because IIFYM does not fit with the clean/good/bad dieting mindset….people have been brain washed to believe that sugar, ice cream, cookies, candy, etc, are the root of all obesity evil….