Yeah...I'm THAT person at the gym..

Options
you know..the one who lifts so hard and heavy im panting, sweating, and groaning. I lift to exhaustion to build muscle. This takes effort and I don't seem to be able to do it silently with a pretty smile. Sorry if that offends people. I do t make a spectacle, and I usually go to the gym after hours (I have a key as I know the owner) so I can work out solo and not have to worry about it. If I have to go during regular hours I try to go when its least busy. Oddly enough..men do t seem to care if you make noise and look terrible and in pain when you lift..but oh the ladies..they really seem to be offended.

Just letting you know. The last thing I want to do is call attention to myself. I just want to work out and get out. I wipe down my machines, don't superset hog and I'm always willing to spot someone if they need it. Please cut is noisy lifters some slack, and turn up your iPod :)

Replies

• ninjasmith1986
    ninjasmith1986 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I wish more women lifted weights like this. My dead lifts can be pretty loud :#
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Which ladies are offended? None of what you do would bother me. Good for you for getting a sweat on (and then cleaning it up :) .

If they're looking at you strangely, it might be that they've just never seen a woman working out the way you do. They might think you're awesome.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    For every person you offend, 2 others get inspired. So quit hiding - workout during the busiest time of the day. :+1:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'd be the one watching you out of the corner of my eye, wishing I could be like you.
  • Megeffer
    Megeffer Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd be the one watching you out of the corner of my eye, wishing I could be like you.

for sure. one day.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ummm OK ….thanks…

don't want to call attention to yourself, but you post a thread calling attention to yourself….

• Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    walldancer wrote: »
    I wish! And thank you for the kind words. No....one woman actually complained to the gym management.:(
    She needs a life.

I see the groan & grunt crowd often, as I work out late in the evening. They rock...and generally clean up after themselves. It's a -gym-. So sorry if the sounds of work are drowning out Megan Trainor. Oh wait, I'm not sorry.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You can be in there with me anytime
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've only just started going to a gym. Its a large gym and fairly busy right now, most likely because of the New Years crowd. I'm not an expert by any means but you'd have to be groaning REALLY loud to be heard where I go. With the machines and people talking and music, I'd be hard pressed to hear you. Plus most who aren't talking seem to be using ear buds hooked up to something. I wouldn't complain if I did hear you, though I'm not sure why you're directing it to the entire MFP crowd on the Fitness board. Pretty sure you're in good company here :wink: .
  • AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd totally be....accidentally....looking at you. But only in admiration/curiosity.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'd totally be....accidentally....looking at you. But only in admiration/curiosity.

Yeah, me too. Though first it would be curiosity. People look in the direction of loud noises, its just human nature. I'm sure there is a caveman reflex somewhere in the reasoning. If you're going to make loud noises, you'll probably get looked at, though I think complaining to management is a bit extreme.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I wish! And thank you for the kind words. No....one woman actually complained to the gym management.:(

But she probably never thought twice about the men who grunt . . . . So sad that so many women tend to want to tear each other down instead of being supportive and raising each other up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I was venting, but thanks for your criticism..mr flexing in the mirror selfie pic :)
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ummm OK ….thanks…

don't want to call attention to yourself, but you post a thread calling attention to yourself….

hmmm yea, I was not the one saying I am not trying to call attention to myself....

we get it, you are the bad *kitten* in the gym that everyone complains about...
  • brewingPHX
    brewingPHX Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the P.S.A! Besides, attention shouldn't be called to anyone for that in a gym. The only noise that should get people's attention is if someone rips a giant fart while squatting.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    unless you are at a planet fitness what's the deal? and only one person complained not a big deal really...my cats whine at me all the time when I am lifting....
  • ivonnec4u
    ivonnec4u Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thought fitness pal was a place to support each other and motivate each other. Whats with the few that feel the need to bring the girl down? If I had a rockin body and actually enjoyed working out I would flaunt it....just saying.
  • crystalnichols395
    crystalnichols395 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Trust me I would so be looking at you jealous lol I would probably walk over and ask you to be my trainer.