Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    dym123 wrote: »
    I workout in a weight/powerlifting gym. They look at you funny if you don't grunt and drop your weights.

Even if they are like really small weights?

I totally want to go and pick up some pink one pounders with an exaggerated grunt, slam them down on the mat, and then shout, "HELL YEAH, PERSONAL RECORD, BABY!!!!" as I strut out of the gym like Rocky.

I've done that with dead lifts.... tried to pick up the 135- or just the bar only... and I'lll struggle mightily with it- and fail to pick it up making all sorts of noise about it.

Then just pick it up and move it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Brookin973 wrote: »
    If I were the gym owner, I’d have a whole series of questions for the woman that complained. Exactly what bothers you about someone grunting when they lift? Would you have the same feelings if they were talking on the phone and you could hear them? Are you offended when men grunt? Have you ever exerted yourself to a point you had to gasp, grunt or growl?

Then finally, have you heard of Planet Fitness? There’s one two miles that way, I won’t charge you to cancel your contract.

The thing is, though, these "critical" women probably couldn't care less what the OP does in the gym. It's likely all in her head, and it makes her feel awesome to assume these things. Kind of like it makes her feel badass to come on MFP to tell everyone that she is the hardest working female in the gym. Women who lift heavy are a dime a dozen now. We get it, it's a thing. But good for you OP, keep working hard.

I guess I didn’t take her post as bragging. Just a frustration with not being able to do her thing in the gym she frequents. I imagine we all have a frustration story or more from the gyms we train at (I certainly do). You can make some people happy, you can’t make everyone happy.

I'm not picking on you but you bring up that this gym is frequented by the OP and she should be able to do what she wants. I get that, and I agree. I have to wonder, though, isn't the woman who complained also entitled to that? She's a paying member as well. And to be fair, we haven't heard the woman's or management's side of things. Maybe OP sounded like she was hurting herself and that's why the woman complained? Maybe the woman is just a PITA. I don't know, I wasn't there.

I do think this whole thing puts management in a hard place because either way they may lose a paying customer. Personally, if I were management and felt both women had legitimate complaints and it was more of a personality difference, I'd suggest they either find a way to work together or come at different times from one another. Perhaps OP could talk to the woman?

I didn’t take it as picking. I agree that we should all be able to find gyms that suit our style and needs. I personally enjoy seeing people push themselves (crossfit, grunting in the squat rack or during a deadlift, the guy who slings sweat as he kills it on the elliptical). The management of the gym can’t be all things to all people, so yes, some folks just aren’t going to fit in. If it really bothers them, I’d let them go on good terms (recommending another place, offering to allow early cancellation of their contract, etc.). No hard feelings, we just can’t please everyone.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    walldancer wrote: »
    I wish! And thank you for the kind words. No....one woman actually complained to the gym management.:(

She should be punched in the mouth for that!

Keep those heavy lifting workouts going! :)

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I workout in a weight/powerlifting gym. They look at you funny if you don't grunt and drop your weights.

I totally want to go and pick up some pink one pounders with an exaggerated grunt, slam them down on the mat, and then shout, "HELL YEAH, PERSONAL RECORD, BABY!!!!" as I strut out of the gym like Rocky.

Dare you to. :wink:
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

Holy Hell! That's my gym in that video lol

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    I do dislike that bro pack that feels the need to tell "its all you bro!" and "push it" while the lifter screams like he's giving birth.

Some moderate grunting? Do what you do.

having someone in your ear like that or being on the receiving end of a slap chop can mean the difference between hitting that PR and failing.

this ain't curves.

Lmao

• PikaKnight
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I don't grunt....

I just do this dance after all completed sets...

K9bhUZo_zpsvpqolxtx.gif

829099266.gif

Lmao at this too

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

Aahahah! That'd be awesome!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I'm going to try this at my gym! :D
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    HEARD!
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I aint even going to try anymore

Try?? and where did the OP go? I am LMAO here...and I think we wrapped this up right?

How about a vote? If you grunt at the gym Yes?

If you don't grunt at the gym No?

Don't care? ** this would be me...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »

Try?? and where did the OP go? I am LMAO here...and I think we wrapped this up right?

take a vote on ironic post...yes/no?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I vote yes
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options

Please take a video for me....please :) with 1 lb weights... that would be priceless :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Please take a video for me....please :) with 1 lb weights... that would be priceless :)

I think the lowest is 2lbs actually, I checked because I saw some woman doing shurgs with them one day. No really, SHRUGS with 2LB dumbells! :wtf:
  • JoKnowsJo
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

take a vote on ironic post...yes/no?

If you want to...by all means... ;)

• PikaKnight
    Options

I think the lowest is 2lbs actually, I checked because I saw some woman doing shurgs with them one day. No really, SHRUGS with 2LB dumbells! :wtf:

It must suck for her when it comes time to carry in the groceries
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

OMG! This would be amazing! I would probably pee myself laughing if I saw this happen in real life! Please post the video!

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I feel...slightly embarrassed after reading the OP. I don't know why.