Yeah...I'm THAT person at the gym..

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't care what you do, but noisy exertion, like sweating, has absolutely nothing to do with quality of workout.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    walldancer wrote: »
    I was venting, but thanks for your criticism..mr flexing in the mirror selfie pic :)
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ummm OK ….thanks…

don't want to call attention to yourself, but you post a thread calling attention to yourself….

hmmm yea, I was not the one saying I am not trying to call attention to myself....

we get it, you are the bad *kitten* in the gym that everyone complains about...

This guy is a major troll, just ignore him.

Walldancer, you are awesome in my opinion. Some people get jealous of heavy lifting, You have to just ignore those haters. They just wish they could be like you. Those that whine about grunting or other noises should take their sorry *kitten* back home to workout.

Um. no he's not a troll.

humble brag post is a humble brag post.

Sorry not sorry that we call it like it is.

Good for her she's lifting- it's a none issue if she's grunting- lots of people grunt.
    -
    she's not special for it.

<3 So much this.

+1 for both

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LCloops wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    TheBigFb wrote: »
    dym123 wrote: »
    I workout in a weight/powerlifting gym. They look at you funny if you don't grunt and drop your weights.

Even if they are like really small weights?

I totally want to go and pick up some pink one pounders with an exaggerated grunt, slam them down on the mat, and then shout, "HELL YEAH, PERSONAL RECORD, BABY!!!!" as I strut out of the gym like Rocky.

I'm going to try this at my gym! :D

Please take a video for me....please :) with 1 lb weights... that would be priceless :)

I think the lowest is 2lbs actually, I checked because I saw some woman doing shurgs with them one day. No really, SHRUGS with 2LB dumbells! :wtf:

no they make lighter ones- but usually not at the gym- I think I used 1/2 pound weights rehabbing my shoulder. I didn't even know they made them that small.

I think one of the funniest moments i saw was when two women grabbed the rubber coated dumbbells from the aerobics room and brought them out to the free weights sections and started doing their workout.

Fine- whatever. But what was just- hysterical to me- was the fact they were posted up on the heavy heavy side (like 100+) dumbbell section of the weights.

I have no idea- but the juxtaposition of those tiny weights next to the those big ones just made me crack the hell up.
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Haha, that's me, but I'm lifting all of, like, 15-20 lbs on the cable machines, or I've got a little 10 lb dumbell and am doing rows, and there's this big buff guy standing behind me like "Are you done with this bench?" while I'm CLEARLY bent over all red faced and sweating and making grunting noises as I heave my little 10 lb weight.... yeah, I feel pretty stupid most times, but I'm 5'4", 241 lbs (233 now!) and just started this whole "weights" thing about 2 weeks ago and just doing what my personal trainer said to do... So sorry if I'm in your way, Mr. Muscles. ;) I do my thing in the "serious times" area (with all the free weights) and then scootch on back to the cable machines, but I'm sure not going to work any less hard because I feel awkward and out of place!!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    ...... but I'm sure not going to work any less hard because I feel awkward and out of place!!

good.

Because honestly if you're working hard- no one cares. They'll note "hey she's working hard" and then move on to other things.

Good for you.
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    "what a cow"

hahahaha.

I got yelled at over the weekend for telling someone to not be such an angry heifer. Her husband was not happy, and I wasn't having it.

maybe it was the "angry" bit that set him off?

funny-some-of-this-mad-cow-animated-gif.gif

lmao!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I workout in a weight/powerlifting gym. They look at you funny if you don't grunt and drop your weights.

I totally want to go and pick up some pink one pounders with an exaggerated grunt, slam them down on the mat, and then shout, "HELL YEAH, PERSONAL RECORD, BABY!!!!" as I strut out of the gym like Rocky.

Please take a video for me....please :) with 1 lb weights... that would be priceless :)

I think the lowest is 2lbs actually, I checked because I saw some woman doing shurgs with them one day. No really, SHRUGS with 2LB dumbells! :wtf:

It must suck for her when it comes time to carry in the groceries

I imagine so!
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've got earbuds on most of the time, what do I care if somebody makes noise? And if they're working hard, great. A few people older people have commented to the management about the impact noise when I hit the focus mitts, but the owner is as into it as I am and he says, "That's kinda part of the experience."

Then on the other hand, a guy at the gym noticed my skeptical facial expression the other day and asked me about what I thought of his lift. He was basically screaming right off the setup when he did a single 335 lb deadlift. I told him that the way I see it on a heavy single deadlift one of your main tasks is to manage your intra-abdominal pressure during the lift phase by tightening up your core and maintaining that tightness. And, if he's screaming during the lift he's collapsing that structure and and placing more stress on his spinal erectors and thus is lifting like a beginner. He took it as positive feedback, which is how it was meant. I think it helped that he'd seen me lift heavy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

no they make lighter ones- but usually not at the gym- I think I used 1/2 pound weights rehabbing my shoulder. I didn't even know they made them that small.

I think one of the funniest moments i saw was when two women grabbed the rubber coated dumbbells from the aerobics room and brought them out to the free weights sections and started doing their workout.

Fine- whatever. But what was just- hysterical to me- was the fact they were posted up on the heavy heavy side (like 100+) dumbbell section of the weights.

I have no idea- but the juxtaposition of those tiny weights next to the those big ones just made me crack the hell up.

ROFL nice! BTW I should have mentioned that I meant the lightest at my gym. I'm sure she would have grabbed th he 1/2 lb ones if she could have.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    To all those people who laugh at those barbie weights (1-5 lb dumbells): I challenge you. Take a couple of 2 or 3 lb dumbells and throw jab-crosses for 3 minutes, no stopping. The do cheerleaders (straight up deltoids nonstop while jogging) for 3 minutes. Then do 3 minutes of uppercuts. You may not be laughing at that point.

Then realize that's a standard warmup in a collegiate level boxing club.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    To all those people who laugh at those barbie weights (1-5 lb dumbells): I challenge you. Take a couple of 2 or 3 lb dumbells and throw jab-crosses for 3 minutes, no stopping. The do cheerleaders (straight up deltoids nonstop while jogging) for 3 minutes. Then do 3 minutes of uppercuts. You may not be laughing at that point.

Ha, I do cardio (Insanity, FT25 and Turbo Fire) holding 3lb dumbbells. What's your point?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Been there done that but what does that have to do with shrugs?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Ha, I do cardio (Insanity, FT25 and Turbo Fire) holding 3lb dumbbells. What's your point?

That training for endurance is different than training for strength or mass. So, little weights can be a useful tool (although I doubt she was doing shrugs as an endurance effort).
  • JoRocka
    Options

Doing a plyometric type workout with added weight MUST be done at a low weight- I warm up my shoulders and have rehabbed with 10 and under.

But it's not a weight for lifting.

So..... exactly what does this have to do with the price of rice in china????
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Except a majority of women using these weights aren't boxers and usually are doing so under misguided notions of high reps, low weight will keep from getting bulky.

Been there done that but what does that have to do with shrugs?

That's what I'm wondering. No one was giggling over the idea of using low weights for endurance/sport type training or even for rehab purposes.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I don't care if you grunt. But if you drop your weights I will mentally bitchslap you.