The most ridiculous diet tips you've ever heard?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm tired of people saying muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It absolutely does. Oh, but one pound of muscle is equal to the weight of one pound of fat? You don't say. Well, one pound of feathers is equal to the weight of one pound of gold bars. Are you telling me gold bars and feathers are equal in weight? If muscle didn't weigh more than fat, it wouldn't throw off BMI results. I get why people hate when this is brought up. "But, but, when a newcomer comes on by and they're not losing any weight they'll think it's because they're gaining muscle." Not my problem. If you have a block of muscle and an equal sized block of fat, the muscle will weigh more. Why is it assumed that we're talking pound for pound? Of course one pound of fat and one pound of muscle weigh the same. Duh, obviously!
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Did you guys see that *kitten* talking about the marshmallow peep diet the other day? What a dipshit!

I know, right?! He kept insisting that yellow peeps were the key to weight loss when everyone KNOWS that it's the orange ones (but only if you dip them in cayenne and do a lemon cleanse immediately afterward, of course).

Heh. Your comments are always awesome :)
  • TheRealStella47
    TheRealStella47 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Cutting out random things from your diet. Like gluten. (Unless you have a sensitivity to it)

Thank you for speaking my mind. This gluten-free craze is driving me bonkers.

• TheRealStella47
    Options
    My own Mother who has yo-yo dieted for as long as I can remember is back on Weight Watchers. That's totally cool, I know it works for people. I hate that I keep being told MFP is too time consuming (i.e. weighing and logging, I may not be consistent but I do see results and it's free). Also that if I would just give up whole milk, whole sour cream, whole cheeses, etc., etc., etc. and only eat no fat/low fat/free substitutes, I would never have to worry about portion sizes or weighing or logging.

I don't know how your mother can be on WW and exist in this "anti-portion-control" mindset. Maybe she has a sub-par meeting leader, but the first thing we talked about in orientation when I joined is portion control (you're probably eating more than you think you are) and getting a good quality food scale.

• katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    OhReally42 wrote: »
    An indian friend said that when one person loses weight it goes on another person.

For the sake of karma, I like this as a possibility. Karma, please make mean people take my fat lol.

I saw that as being charitable. Wouldn't it be lovely if my love handles fed an third world village
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    not necessarily a diet thing.
    Some guy told me that using free weights was the worst way to build strength.
    what.
  • TheRealStella47
    Options
    I'm tired of people saying muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It absolutely does. Oh, but one pound of muscle is equal to the weight of one pound of fat? You don't say. Well, one pound of feathers is equal to the weight of one pound of gold bars. Are you telling me gold bars and feathers are equal in weight? If muscle didn't weigh more than fat, it wouldn't throw off BMI results. I get why people hate when this is brought up. "But, but, when a newcomer comes on by and they're not losing any weight they'll think it's because they're gaining muscle." Not my problem. If you have a block of muscle and an equal sized block of fat, the muscle will weigh more. Why is it assumed that we're talking pound for pound? Of course one pound of fat and one pound of muscle weigh the same. Duh, obviously!

You need to learn the difference between weight and mass. Desperately. And for the love of all that is holy, do it before you EVER speak or post in a public forum again.

• TheRealStella47
    Options
    Did you guys see that *kitten* talking about the marshmallow peep diet the other day? What a dipshit!

I know, right?! He kept insisting that yellow peeps were the key to weight loss when everyone KNOWS that it's the orange ones (but only if you dip them in cayenne and do a lemon cleanse immediately afterward, of course).

Heh. Your comments are always awesome :)

I completely missed that, but I could definitely lose weight on a marshmallow Peeps diet. Because I simply would not be able to eat them. Those things ... ugh.
  • Supermom_of_8
    Supermom_of_8 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    That you could eat whatever you want, even fast food to lose weight! All you do is chew up your food but DONT swallow. You spit it back out but can enjoy the taste of any food your choose.

That sounded so gross to me! :s
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You need to learn the difference between weight and mass. Desperately. And for the love of all that is holy, do it before you EVER speak or post in a public forum again.

As long as you're not suggesting one of the two things you're measuring is located somewhere in outer space, it doesn't really matter.
  • TheRealStella47
    edited March 2015
    Options

As long as you're not suggesting one of the two things you're measuring is located somewhere in outer space, it doesn't really matter.

You're right. I retract my snarky statement, since I had a vocabulary cramp.
    Not mass. Think volume, or area, or density. Or carat size. That's how I look at it. If you lay out "one carat" weights of different precious stones, they will be different sizes. If you lay out "one pound" of muscle, fat, cartilage, etc, those will be different sizes. I think "losing weight" tends to exclude the true goal of dieting or fitness training or whatever combination of those one chooses. I would guess the goal of most people trying to "lose weight" is ACTUALLY to "be a smaller size." So in that case, if you removed 2 pounds of fat from your body, you'd be smaller, by volume, by 1 liter. If you put those 2 pounds back in muscle, you'd only be adding back 1/2 liter of volume. So the WEIGHTS are the same for muscle and fat, but the amount of space muscle occupies is less than what the same weight of fat occupies.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I had a friend come up with his own version of (negative) positive reinforcement therapy.

Any week where he didn't make his weight goal, we were supposed to give him a beat down.

He's a tough kid, so he missed two targets before calling off his ridiculous plan.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You're right. I retract my snarky statement, since I had a vocabulary cramp.
    Not mass. Think volume, or area, or density. Or carat size. That's how I look at it. If you lay out "one carat" weights of different precious stones, they will be different sizes. If you lay out "one pound" of muscle, fat, cartilage, etc, those will be different sizes. I think "losing weight" tends to exclude the true goal of dieting or fitness training or whatever combination of those one chooses. I would guess the goal of most people trying to "lose weight" is ACTUALLY to "be a smaller size." So in that case, if you removed 2 pounds of fat from your body, you'd be smaller, by volume, by 1 liter. If you put those 2 pounds back in muscle, you'd only be adding back 1/2 liter of volume. So the WEIGHTS are the same for muscle and fat, but the amount of space muscle occupies is less than what the same weight of fat occupies.

Correct. And looking at it the other way around, if you have 1 liter of fat and 1 liter of muscle (liquid muscle? ew.) next to each other, the liter of muscle will weigh more. Which is all the sentence "Muscle weighs more than fat." is trying to say.
    Anyway. Ridiculous diet tips. I only got the usual. Don't eat after X pm, etc.
    Well I also got one from Scooby. "If it tastes good, spit it out." He's a nice guy and all, but no I'd rather not.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Epsom salt baths.
    DAMN, you beat me to it!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    "Don't eat anything that has a television commercial." I see commercials for chicken, beef, water, fruit. Alright then.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    coffee enemas. btw- I dont do this. But Ive heard about it as a way to "flush fat".