How long after waking up do you have before eating breakfast?

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Out of interest to all those who wait at least a few hours after getting up, what time do you eat your last meal the previous day? I try to eat before 7pm so I have basically a 12 hour fast till breakfast. I'm always ravenous

I'll eat dessert between 8 and 10 Dinner is, most of the time, between 6 and 7.
  • im_simply_karen
    im_simply_karen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wait an hour after I get up on weekdays which would be like 7:15. On weekends I eat at like 9:30 because I never get hungry before than really
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had a prawn curry aroumd 7.15am the other day, it was lovely :D
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Also, breakfast is a dangerous meal, as most “breakfast foods” are not that great nutritionally.

Depends what you are eating for breakfast...

I was thinking of the traditional North American breakfasts like cereal or bread with nutella. For someone who is trying to get a lot of bang for my calories, those things might be tasty but aren’t what I want on a daily basis as a meal.

If you’re eating an egg-white omelette with smoked salmon and half an avocado, that’s a different story (obviously).

whats wrong with cereal and bread??? Why is that worse than an egg white omelet? why can't I have regular eggs; why does it have to be egg whites?

besides individual foods do not matter..what matters is overall diet and calorie/micro/macro goal…

OP - eat breakfast whenever you are hungry….

Nothing is “wrong” generally speaking, they’re wrong for me, as they don’t fill me up at all. Half an hour after a bowl of cereal I get hungry. And I used egg whites as an extreme example of what most people find healthy. I have never eaten an egg white anything, nor do I intend to. I like whole eggs, just as they are. I’m not sure why you’re making such a fuss about this…
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Also, breakfast is a dangerous meal, as most “breakfast foods” are not that great nutritionally.

I was thinking of the traditional North American breakfasts like cereal or bread with nutella. For someone who is trying to get a lot of bang for my calories, those things might be tasty but aren’t what I want on a daily basis as a meal.

If you’re eating an egg-white omelette with smoked salmon and half an avocado, that’s a different story (obviously).

whats wrong with cereal and bread??? Why is that worse than an egg white omelet? why can't I have regular eggs; why does it have to be egg whites?

besides individual foods do not matter..what matters is overall diet and calorie/micro/macro goal…

Nothing is “wrong” generally speaking, they’re wrong for me, as they don’t fill me up at all. Half an hour after a bowl of cereal I get hungry. And I used egg whites as an extreme example of what most people find healthy. I have never eaten an egg white anything, nor do I intend to. I like whole eggs, just as they are. I’m not sure why you’re making such a fuss about this…

well you acted like there was something wrong with the "traditional north American breakfast" which is a pretty broad generalization. Last time I checked people in the south don't eat the same breakfast as someone in the northwest corner of the country...

and I see that you are now backtracking and moving the goalposts...
  • Emilia777
    Options

well you acted like there was something wrong with the "traditional north American breakfast" which is a pretty broad generalization. Last time I checked people in the south don't eat the same breakfast as someone in the northwest corner of the country...

No, I am simply seeing how what I said could be misconstrued so I am trying to clarify, for your benefit. I was referring to the stereotypical breakfast, as exemplified by the entire cereal isle, not making a generalization about what every one of the 300 million people eats.

Also, I’d appreciate it if you stopped being so confrontational. I’m not sure what offended you about what I said, but this is entirely misplaced.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Additionally, let's look at the initial thought:

There's nothing at all wrong with having a breakfast of bread, cereal, and nutella, assuming it doesn't somehow interfere with one's ability to get nutrition throughout the day.

They keep saying that they were just speaking from their own personal perspective, but it does just come off as backpeddling for stating generalizations. Who really cares what any single person thinks is "dangerous" for their own personal breakfasts when it's going to vary by the person?
  • Emilia777
    edited February 2015
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »

There's nothing at all wrong with having a breakfast of bread, cereal, and nutella, assuming it doesn't somehow interfere with one's ability to get nutrition throughout the day.

They keep saying that they were just speaking from their own personal perspective, but it does just come off as backpeddling for stating generalizations. Who really cares what any single person thinks is "dangerous" for their own personal breakfasts when it's going to vary by the person?

For the record, I think there is a danger around breakfast because I’ve seen friends eat three times the recommended serving of cereal without realizing, and not getting much out of that in terms of macros or satiation, and then said they’re wondering why they’re gaining weight. People who are aware of the serving sizes and nutrition in their foods would of course be able to better balance this out, and I suppose anyone on here would do so.

Also, seeing as this is a thread about when or if people eat breakfast, thus seeking individual answers to this particular question, I suspect OP cares about when or what a single person eats for breakfast.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No, I am simply seeing how what I said could be misconstrued so I am trying to clarify, for your benefit. I was referring to the stereotypical breakfast, as exemplified by the entire cereal isle, not making a generalization about what every one of the 300 million people eats.

Also, I’d appreciate it if you stopped being so confrontational. I’m not sure what offended you about what I said, but this is entirely misplaced.

I don't understand what the cereal isle has to do with being healthy ..

so what if I have a bowl of cocoa puffs for breakfast? IF I hit my calorie/macro/micro goal for the day, what does it matter?
  • ndj1979
    Options

all this too....
  • Emilia777
    Options

I don't understand what the cereal isle has to do with being healthy ..

so what if I have a bowl of cocoa puffs for breakfast? IF I hit my calorie/macro/micro goal for the day, what does it matter?

If you hit your goals, it clearly doesn’t, but I’ve seen people in my circle of friends who are not aware of these goals or the need to balance them out. This is in fact the whole reason for my statement about breakfast being “dangerous".
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Well, if you gentlemen are done picking on me, I think I’ll be off to do something more useful with my time.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

For the record, I think there is a danger around breakfast because I’ve seen friends eat three times the recommended serving of cereal without realizing, and not getting much out of that in terms of macros or satiation, and then said they’re wondering why they’re gaining weight. People who are aware of the serving sizes and nutrition in their foods would of course be able to better balance this out, and I suppose anyone on here would do so.

Also, seeing as this is a thread about when or if people eat breakfast, thus seeking individual answers to this particular question, I suspect OP cares about when or what a single person eats for breakfast.

Thank you for explaining why you think those foods are dangerous. While there may be some validity to the idea that palatable foods present some risk, that risk is easily dealt with by logging and measuring foods. Thus there is no more danger. The foods are not inherently bad or dangerous.

To your second point, it seems that the OP is talking about meal timing, which is completely separate from your value judgments on food quality. It's not as if they asked for your thoughts on the best breakfast foods.

• Emilia777
    Options

Thank you for explaining why you think those foods are dangerous. While there may be some validity to the idea that palatable foods present some risk, that risk is easily dealt with by logging and measuring foods. Thus there is no more danger. The foods are not inherently bad or dangerous.

To your second point, it seems that the OP is talking about meal timing, which is completely separate from your value judgments on food quality. It's not as if they asked for your thoughts on the best breakfast foods.

While I see how my initial statement could have benefitted from clarification, you could have simply asked for it without aggressively disagreeing. I in fact do not consider any food to be inherently bad, as long as the consumer is aware of its macros and considers those in their meal planning as a whole.

Second, meal timing in my case is directly related to my so-called value judgment on food quality: I started skipping breakfast because things like cereal did no keep me full until lunch. Forgive me for being under the fallacious impression that I am allowed to express my views.

• EvanKeel
    Options
    Well, if you gentlemen are done picking on me, I think I’ll be off to do something more useful with my time.

For clarity, I'm picking on what you said, not you :) I'm also sticking up for that helpful and delightful nutella that you felt the need to demonize.

• ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Well, I get up between 4:30 and 5:00, get on the treadmill for forty minutes, followed by a shower and get dressed for work. (Need to get back to the free weights, too, but I doubt it will change my eating habits much.) When I get to work I will have hot tea or, in the winter, hot chocolate. This will be my drink of choice until lunch around 1:00 p.m., which is usually a power drink or, in summer Grape Nuts in yogurt (I like yogurt, so shoot me). I get off work at 5, fight the traffic on the road home and eat dinner around. Oddly, once I actually eat something, my digestive juices kick in and I start getting hungry more quickly so that, by the time dinner rolls around at the end of the day, I am starving. This doesn't happen if I do not eat earlier in the day. Many people do not have this problem, others simply do not notice it. Thus proving that we are all built differently --- inside and out.

So, basically, I eat about 11 hours after I get up! I never feel hungry or deprived and I stay toned am losing weight at a rational rate of about 2# per week which gives my body a chance to adjust to the weight changes and retain tissue elasticity - very important for a fit body.
    -
    So, as someone (or several someones) already said, it's not about this or that regimentation, it's what works for you.
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I usually don`t eat breakfast I just generally make myself a fresh juice approx. 45mins after getting up, I am currently having breakfast as the tablets Im taking make me ill if I don`t eat on them and its still approx. 45mins after getting up.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

While I see how my initial statement could have benefitted from clarification, you could have simply asked for it without aggressively disagreeing. I in fact do not consider any food to be inherently bad, as long as the consumer is aware of its macros and considers those in their meal planning as a whole.

Second, meal timing in my case is directly related to my so-called value judgment on food quality: I started skipping breakfast because things like cereal did no keep me full until lunch. Forgive me for being under the fallacious impression that I am allowed to express my views.

Oh Gosh. Let's be clear. You are of course allowed to express your views; if I thought otherwise, I would have reported you. That would have been silly.

As it happens, I'm also allowed to express my views.
  • Emilia777
    Options

For clarity, I'm picking on what you said, not you :) I'm also sticking up for that helpful and delightful nutella that you felt the need to demonize.

I love Nutella! It’s actually one of my favourite foods. Again, I really don’t see any foods as inherently bad. What does worry me is people who are misinformed and suffer because of it.

Anyway, you may be right in that I took it personally. Goes to show, it’s best to be clear about what you mean rather than make general statements. I was going for brevity - I guess that did not work out :smile: .
  • EvanKeel
    Options

I love Nutella! It’s actually one of my favourite foods. Again, I really don’t see any foods as inherently bad. What does worry me is people who are misinformed and suffer because of it.

Anyway, you may be right in that I took it personally. Goes to show, it’s best to be clear about what you mean rather than make general statements. I was going for brevity - I guess that did not work out :smile: .

This is probably a little digression, but I should say that I do appreciate brevity and language that isn't over qualified.

I think, though, that with this community, both within MFP and the larger community of "nutrition hobbyists," that there's been such a strong history of people making very strong claims that were ultimately too general and unsupported.

I would guess that's probably why responses to general claims tend to be somewhat direct here.