Why is it so hard for people to grasp there is no magical solution?

Options
123457»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Most processed foods are really tasty and cheap,/thread.
    AV4Lrw4.gif
    Does not relate to OP at all. Processed foods don't make you gain weight, calorie surplus does.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Mech9 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I lost 4 kg a week by eating zucchini dipped in glitter with every meal and how that counteracts anything else you eat.

Wait... HOLD THE PHONE! You're telling me... I can eat WHATEVER I want, as long as I eat zucchini dipped in glitter, and I will still lose weight?! I had no idea. My mind = blown.

:P

note to self: Shopping list Item #1. Glitter (dollar tree) lmao. luvit!

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    JUST WANNA SAY that I've never actually told people how I lose weight. I'll post on FB sometimes about macros and I've talked about calories sometimes at work, but otherwise I don't say "I'm on MFP and I weigh my food to make sure I'm eating below my caloric needs every day!"

If people comment on the weight loss, I will just nod along with whatever they are saying (e.g. ex-manager asking if I'd been working out, after I said yes she was all "oh yeah, you've lost weight" *nod nod*). If they ask me how I've lost weight, I'll still just kind of nod along with what they are saying or only answer part of it without actually saying wht I'm doing. Like my grandmother once asked me if I was cutting out foods to lose weight, all I said was "I still eat lots of stuff" without going into any deeper explanation. Then you let the topic chaaaange.

Outside of some people, most will not be aware of the simplicity that is tracking caloric intake for weight loss. I might have been one of these non-believers 4 years ago :p
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I also think that it is, in part, that many believe that - regardless of what issues there really are - fat people are inherently lazy.

(I have a thinner friend that I do volunteer work with, all the time. It's crazy how often people just sort of assume that she's the one doing the work and that I am just along for the ride! (Quite the opposite, I assure you (but I digress...).))

Losing weight - counting calories and moving more - is work. It takes a lot of conscious effort: So much to learn, and process, and be aware of, and put into practice over and over and over again.

Yes, in a sense, it's easy - and logical - once you decide to just do. it. already!

But lots of people just don't. And, it must be difficult for your doctor to imagine that you 'suddenly' (from her perspective) could make that decision and 'finally' choose to go to that effort and then actually do it and then continue doing it to get the results that you have...

So, yeah.

Sucks, though.
  • SeriouslySta
    SeriouslySta Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Oh! and lest anyone pillory me for my use of the F-word...

Have you ever noticed how people who know and like a less-fit-than-they-might-prefer-to-be person might call that person... well... 'less fit' or 'heavy' or 'rounded' or 'zaftig' or 'Rubenesque' or 'larger' or even 'overweight' - when someone they don't know or like is invariably 'fat' (or worse)?

Fascinating.

(For what it's worth, I'm fat. But I'm working on it!)
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I don't tell my family/friends I'm losing weight so they don't ask me what kind of "magic" I'm using. I have spoken with my coworkers about it because they see me everyday and can kinda tell that my clothes are getting a tiny bit loose on me (I've only lost 16 pounds so far).

What I find interesting/mildly annoying is that everyone who I do converse about this with wants to give me advice. For example, yesterday in the cafeteria, I basically was asking the worker there if she knew a calorie amount on a sandwich I wanted, and we got to talking about it. I said something like "Well this is the first time I'm eating today so it'll be alright if I get the 550 calorie sandwich and a bag of baked chips" and the lady basically freaked out and said "You need to eat more often starvation mode blah blah"

I usually just smile and nod, but I kinda don't get it. I'm losing weight, so I must have some idea what I'm doing.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying this thread. In particular, the comments regarding telling/not telling people about using MFP and the benefits of the site besides just calorie tracking.

I think I need to be more mindful of that. I credit the forums as much as the food logging when I really think about it. I have learned SO MUCH here.

55835802.png
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I don't tell my family/friends I'm losing weight so they don't ask me what kind of "magic" I'm using. I have spoken with my coworkers about it because they see me everyday and can kinda tell that my clothes are getting a tiny bit loose on me (I've only lost 16 pounds so far).

What I find interesting/mildly annoying is that everyone who I do converse about this with wants to give me advice. For example, yesterday in the cafeteria, I basically was asking the worker there if she knew a calorie amount on a sandwich I wanted, and we got to talking about it. I said something like "Well this is the first time I'm eating today so it'll be alright if I get the 550 calorie sandwich and a bag of baked chips" and the lady basically freaked out and said "You need to eat more often starvation mode blah blah"

I usually just smile and nod, but I kinda don't get it. I'm losing weight, so I must have some idea what I'm doing.

QFT

I get this the most. "You know if you just cut carbs you'll lose faster." I have to just smile and say, "well, this is working for me."