The Gym is great for people watching!!

Options

Replies

• darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,341 Member
    Options
    At my old gym, we had a guy in the weight room that would occasionally walk over to the garbage can, put a finger over one nostril, and basically blow his nose hard directly into the trash can.

The first time I saw this, I was visibly repulsed. He seemed to think there was nothing to it.

Somebody asked him about it once and he called it a "farmer blow" as if this explains everything.

--Carter

Yup, that's one variation of the name for it, but it's really only socially acceptable to do that if you're in a location where nobody else has to see you do it.
  • marsbar_0789
    Options
    BUMP!!! LOL TOO FUNNY
  • Flawlessk
    Options
    At my old gym, we had a guy in the weight room that would occasionally walk over to the garbage can, put a finger over one nostril, and basically blow his nose hard directly into the trash can.

The first time I saw this, I was visibly repulsed. He seemed to think there was nothing to it.

Somebody asked him about it once and he called it a "farmer blow" as if this explains everything.

--Carter

GROSS!!! That almost made me throw up in my mouth
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    This thread is one of the reasons why I don't go to the gym. I would hope that everyone at the gym would be focused on what THEY are doing and not really pay attention to other people. I guess that's too much to ask for. Personally, I think what other people are doing is none of my business as long as what they are doing doesn't effect me.

I used to go to the gym with a friend of mine who had a membership and could bring a buddy. I weighed close to 400 lbs but wanted to turn my life around, and let me tell you something, it takes a lot of courage to work out in front of other people when you are a woman who weighs almost 400 lbs. But after going 3 or 4 times and always getting dirty looks from people and snickers from others it made not want to go back. I now work out at home, even though I would love to have access the variety of equipment that a gym affords. But I won't be going back to a gym until I'm down to a weight that will keep people from ogling, snickering, and staring so much. When someone has the courage to try and change their life the last thing they need is other people making fun of them or staring at them like they are on display at a freak show.

Be kind to others and just pay attention to what YOU are doing. As long as they aren't hurting you or someone else, it's not your business what others are up.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    This thread is one of the reasons why I don't go to the gym. I would hope that everyone at the gym would be focused on what THEY are doing and not really pay attention to other people. I guess that's too much to ask for. Personally, I think what other people are doing is none of my business as long as what they are doing doesn't effect me.

I used to go to the gym with a friend of mine who had a membership and could bring a buddy. I weighed close to 400 lbs but wanted to turn my life around, and let me tell you something, it takes a lot of courage to work out in front of other people when you are a woman who weighs almost 400 lbs. But after going 3 or 4 times and always getting dirty looks from people and snickers from others it made not want to go back. I now work out at home, even though I would love to have access the variety of equipment that a gym affords. But I won't be going back to a gym until I'm down to a weight that will keep people from ogling, snickering, and staring so much. When someone has the courage to try and change their life the last thing they need is other people making fun of them or staring at them like they are on display at a freak show.

Be kind to others and just pay attention to what YOU are doing. As long as they aren't hurting you or someone else, it's not your business what others are up.

Have you read the posts here (mine being one of them) where we've said we've always had respect for anyone just for showing up? If I happen to see someone who might feel self-conscious about being at the gym, I'll give them an encouraging smile or something, just to try to put them more at ease. No one here is making fun of someone for going to the gym...we're making fun of the people who don't wear underwear to the gym! :laugh:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options

Have you read the posts here (mine being one of them) where we've said we've always had respect for anyone just for showing up? If I happen to see someone who might feel self-conscious about being at the gym, I'll give them an encouraging smile or something, just to try to put them more at ease. No one here is making fun of someone for going to the gym...we're making fun of the people who don't wear underwear to the gym! :laugh:

I agree. Anyone who would make FUN of someone for BEING at the gym is pretty low. I mean if you're a gym rat that's there for more than 3 hours a day, that's different. lol Just kidding. Fitness and health is fitness and health, no matter where you're at. It's a light-hearted thread about what is SEEN at the gym, not oggled at. I have seen in this thread things that people only HEAR, not see. Don't be offended for something that wasn't meant to be offensive.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym anymore - I prefer exercise outdoors or at home. The biggest turn-off to me was this elderly woman who ALWAYS seemed to be in the hot tub floating naked. (it was an all girls gym) There was no way around seeing her as the hot tub was in between the dressing rooms/bathroom/locker area and the other part of the gym with workout equipment.
  • toots99
    Options
    I don't go to the gym anymore - I prefer exercise outdoors or at home. The biggest turn-off to me was this elderly woman who ALWAYS seemed to be in the hot tub floating naked. (it was an all girls gym) There was no way around seeing her as the hot tub was in between the dressing rooms/bathroom/locker area and the other part of the gym with workout equipment.

That's gross!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

--Carter
    Ah... the Italian Hanky. Although proper etiquette does require it to be done outside and followed by the obligatory crotch grab
  • toots99
    Options
    This thread is too good to let it die!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    How about my frigging gym locking me out? Erg! I was a day late and I paid, but my card key is still locked out!!!!!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday at the gym I saw another guy with shorts that didn't fit and kept falling off his *kitten* and showed his Merry Christmas boxers with Christmas trees on them.
  • chocolatnoir
    chocolatnoir Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am also the drenched girl with the towel! Except it doesn't mean I've been on there forever...I always sweat a lot when I work out.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    How about my frigging gym locking me out? Erg! I was a day late and I paid, but my card key is still locked out!!!!!
    Gyms tend to frown upon late payments..:grumble: that's why I love it being taken out of account each month, I never have to remember or give it a thought.:bigsmile:

What a drag that happened BUT bet you're not late again:wink::laugh:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Well yesterday at the gym I saw another guy with shorts that didn't fit and kept falling off his *kitten* and showed his Merry Christmas boxers with Christmas trees on them.
    Sounds like the gym is working for him, droppin his pants just might mean He's been kickin *kitten* at the gym and makin it work for him!:wink:
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

You know, I thought I had heard it all, with this thread, but this takes the cake. LOL
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the gym is working for him, droppin his pants just might mean He's been kickin *kitten* at the gym and makin it work for him!:wink:

umm no he was the kind of guy that keeps his shorts low and the boxers showing.
  • ntp0826
    ntp0826 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favs:
    1. Ultra body building guy: The guy I see everyday in front of the mirror lifting the same weights everyday.
    2. Singing lady: You know how they say if you can sing then your heart rate isn't high enough? This lady makes sure that she knows! She sings while she is working out on the arctrainer. No headphones either!
    3. Running couple: There is a couple that come to the gym at the same time I do and run together on the treadmill, I think its so cute!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Here are some of my favs:
    1. Ultra body building guy: The guy I see everyday in front of the mirror lifting the same weights everyday.
    2. Singing lady: You know how they say if you can sing then your heart rate isn't high enough? This lady makes sure that she knows! She sings while she is working out on the arctrainer. No headphones either!
    3. Running couple: There is a couple that come to the gym at the same time I do and run together on the treadmill, I think its so cute!

I can't wait until Billy runs on the treadmill with me......... :sad: He isn't in the fitness game yet. :frown:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

umm no he was the kind of guy that keeps his shorts low and the boxers showing.
    lol OK, well, I can totally see your point then, thought he might just be kickin *kitten* and wishing you all a merry Xmas. lol

WOW, I have to say I was at one gym for 3 years and never encountered such craziness as some of you lucky ducks.:tongue::noway: :laugh: I now use the Y and have yet to see any weirdness there either but it's only been a few month now at that gym (maybe my day is coming? OR maybe I'm one of the ppl other members share about on message boards:wink::laugh:) Either that or I must just be totally oblivious to it all as it likely happens in every outlet where the public is involved as we humans are strange creatures and do some crazy bizarre things now and again! :noway: :tongue: