The Gym is great for people watching!!

Options

Replies

• btotten
    btotten Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am always in a hurry and don't people watch, but I am sure that people are watching me, I even get peopl that come up and ask me about things that I have been doing.
    I am doing the p90x routine and have it loaded on my iphone, I am just doing whatever Tony Horton says. Stop looking at me so weird
  • btotten
    btotten Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The treadmill pretender - they get on the treadmill, stand there and hit some buttons, fidget with their ipod/towel/clothes, hit more buttons, but never actually starting the treadmill. Then they get off and head to the locker room like they just did a marathon workout.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Excellent!!! I've never seen that but it made me laugh. I see a lot of treadmill casualties, you know the ones who do two or three sprint reps of no more than a minute and then stagger off half dead. :huh:

I have never tried the treadmill before, just the eliptical, weights, and the circuit machines, but I am goign to start training on the treadmill at the gym to run a 5k. This really makes me confident. I am going to end up one of those people who can't even figure out how to use the dang thing and hang my head in shame as I leave because I have wasted all my time trying to figure it out and don't have time to workout anymore
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Last night I was on the elliptical warming up before my training session so I didn't have my headphones on as I hate to carry them around. Well a guy a couple of ellipticals over must have been watching something super funny since every about 30 to 60 seconds he would burst out laughing. I wouldn't have noticed this if I had my headphones in but it was very distracting.

About a week ago I was working in the free weights area by the squat racks. There were these kids about 15/16 trying to do weighted squats. Well these kids were about the size of my thigh and were trying to squat with 90lbs weights, needless to say they couldn't even get the bar off the rack. Two of the everyday guys came over and tried to instructed them on how to do it correctly and how they need to get the form first then add a managable weight and it wasn't about speed. (They were watching me do my HITI training and were trying to keep up). The kids of course did not want to listen to them and the minute the guys walked away the kids speed up again while losing form, they at least changed to the bar with no weight on it. I could hear the other guys yell at them from across the weight room for them the slow down.
  • guardup
    guardup Posts: 230
    Options
    I have no doubt I am one of those people y'all look at and laugh at. So I might as well explain why:

1) Yes, I have muscles. No, I do not do steroids. I earned them the natural bust-*kitten* way.

2) Yes, I wear a sports bra (no shirt) up top and shorts on the bottom. This is so I can see my form better when I lift. I have a number of old injuries that require me to be very aware of my form. And, the simple fact is that I LIKE watching my body when I workout. Don't like it? Don't look.

3) Yes, I grunt and make ugly faces when I lift. YOU try not to when you are bench pressing 25% more than your total body weight. I even have a blog post about it and the people who laugh at me. It's called the "Ugly Grunt".

4) Yup, I will take a bench for a solid 2 hours. When I move away from it to exchange my weights, I wipe off my sweat and expect that if someone wants to work in, they will simply ask. I have no problem sharing. I hope you have no problem asking.

5) I am a nice person who cares about people. If I see you doing something that will cripple your knees in a short period of time, I will politely ask you if I can give you advice. If I correct your form, it doesn't mean you need to stop doing what you are doing. The only way to learn is to practice. Why be embarrassed about learning?

6) Snicker, whisper and point all you want. My body is strong. My husband thinks I am exceptionally sexy. And I will never worry about bone loss.

As for all those people out there who doing there own thing - keep it up! Just be safe.
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options
    I go to step class on Mondays and here recently we had a new participant. It's a woman probably mid to late 40's....NO rhythm but thinks she's groving out! Only thing is that's not the funny part.....she's one of those top heavy folks that are built like *kitten* brick houses...you know, broad shoulders, big boobs, big belly, no booty and small legs. She does, however, have flabby thighs....but none of this stops her from wearing the shortest, tightest shorts ever and still rolling them up (or down, however you want to look at it) where you can almost see her hip bone and at the same time see her "tramp stamp" (no judgement there....I have one too) and the smallest tank top with her belly hanging out and top rolled down under her bra where you can see the tattoo on her breast! She struts through the entire class and makes up her own steps because she can't quite catch on. It's absolutely hilarious! then when class is done she'll go do the "bend and snap" routine from Legally Blonde to get her water bottle and go strutting back out into the gym constantly looking around to see if anyone is watching! Too funny!

"Bend and snap" lmao! too funny :laugh:

What is a tramp stamp? lol x
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Guardup, I don't think anyone was referring to you, and most of the things you mentioned weren't brought up, haha. It's great that you're so confident... but you don't need to show off, lol. :laugh: :tongue:
  • believetoachieve
    Options

Slang for a lower-back tattoo :wink:
  • 35again
    35again Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The treadmill pretender - they get on the treadmill, stand there and hit some buttons, fidget with their ipod/towel/clothes, hit more buttons, but never actually starting the treadmill. Then they get off and head to the locker room like they just did a marathon workout.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Excellent!!! I've never seen that but it made me laugh. I see a lot of treadmill casualties, you know the ones who do two or three sprint reps of no more than a minute and then stagger off half dead. :huh:

I have never tried the treadmill before, just the eliptical, weights, and the circuit machines, but I am goign to start training on the treadmill at the gym to run a 5k. This really makes me confident. I am going to end up one of those people who can't even figure out how to use the dang thing and hang my head in shame as I leave because I have wasted all my time trying to figure it out and don't have time to workout anymore

I never try to figure out the treadmill programming options (like intervals, hills, etc). I get on, I hit quick start, use the arrow buttons to increase speed/incline (or decrease). I think you'll be fine, if you can figure out the basics of the elliptical you can figure out the treadmill. And kudo's to you for going for a 5k!

The "Twinkle Toes" story made me snicker. I've seen that too! For some reason if anyone else doing that wouldn't probably catch my attention, but when it's a obviously fit man I think "OKthen". But then I catch myself and wonder, perhaps they have some medical condition or injury that is unseen to us that prevents them from doing more. I try to not be judgemental cuz we all have to start somewhere or manage with the ability we have.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt I am one of those people y'all look at and laugh at. So I might as well explain why:

1) Yes, I have muscles. No, I do not do steroids. I earned them the natural bust-*kitten* way.

2) Yes, I wear a sports bra (no shirt) up top and shorts on the bottom. This is so I can see my form better when I lift. I have a number of old injuries that require me to be very aware of my form. And, the simple fact is that I LIKE watching my body when I workout. Don't like it? Don't look.

3) Yes, I grunt and make ugly faces when I lift. YOU try not to when you are bench pressing 25% more than your total body weight. I even have a blog post about it and the people who laugh at me. It's called the "Ugly Grunt".

4) Yup, I will take a bench for a solid 2 hours. When I move away from it to exchange my weights, I wipe off my sweat and expect that if someone wants to work in, they will simply ask. I have no problem sharing. I hope you have no problem asking.

5) I am a nice person who cares about people. If I see you doing something that will cripple your knees in a short period of time, I will politely ask you if I can give you advice. If I correct your form, it doesn't mean you need to stop doing what you are doing. The only way to learn is to practice. Why be embarrassed about learning?

6) Snicker, whisper and point all you want. My body is strong. My husband thinks I am exceptionally sexy. And I will never worry about bone loss.

As for all those people out there who doing there own thing - keep it up! Just be safe.
    I think they are more laughing at the guys that grunt and swing around huge weights but only care about how big the weight is without giving a d@mn about form. Personally, I've loved your advice on the lifting thread. It's been really helpful to me.

I'm sure people laugh at me. I just don't care.

Edited for explatives. I should curse less.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Love your post! You look great, you should show off!

Please don't think any of this thread was meant to be offensive, they're just observations.
  • guardup
    Options
    When you read this response, understand that I am not taking offense at this thread. I am just making some points to ponder.
    Guardup, I don't think anyone was referring to you, and most of the things you mentioned weren't brought up, haha. It's great that you're so confident... but you don't need to show off, lol. :laugh: :tongue:

Actually, most of the things I mentioned are listed in this thread.

People don't like people who "hog machines". I wonder if they ever asked to work in?

People stated that they think people who flex and look at themselves in the mirror are too proud of themselves. We may be looking to see what we can improve on if our goal is to sculpt our body. Besides, pride in achievement is not a bad thing.

People here were pointing out how funny it sounds when weight lifters grunt. I understand that the issue may be that the lifters are not doing it right. But then the point should be their form and not the sound they make. And have you taken the time to try and help them with their form? Go ahead and risk them not taking your advice. At least you made an effort to spare another person pain.

Don't get me wrong, I am not taking this personally. People can think what they want about others who do things differently or who hold different goals as more important. I just wanted to point out how quick people are to make fun or complain about others when they haven't taken the time to get to know the other person's reasons. Walk in their shoes before walking away with judgment.

I'm all for a good laugh. But not at the expense of another human being. I see the buff types doing this to the overweight people and when I do see it, I step in and call them on it. It's mean. In either direction.

For the record, I don't consider myself a show off. Because I don't do what I do for the people around me. I do it for me.
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great posts! saving for later
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    Options

Slang for a lower-back tattoo :wink:

Awww ok thanks!!! x
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong, I am not taking this personally. People can think what they want about others who do things differently or who hold different goals as more important. I just wanted to point out how quick people are to make fun or complain about others when they haven't taken the time to get to know the other person's reasons. Walk in their shoes before walking away with judgment.

I'm all for a good laugh. But not at the expense of another human being. I see the buff types doing this to the overweight people and when I do see it, I step in and call them on it. It's mean. In either direction.

Totally agree. When this thread began, I was considering joining a gym for the winter, and the amount of negative judgement here, in one of the more supportive places I've been, really put me off the idea. I was already uneasy, but knowing people at a weight loss/fitness site were being so negative helped convince me to save the money. I'd gone for a free trial, and was working on my general insecurities, and decided against paying to be someone's amusement.

It's just mean to mock people (behind their backs or to their faces.)
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Not at al!! :flowerforyou:

1) My first thought would probably be awe of what you're lifting with a sneaky look for anything to learn
    2) I used to train in my Shock Absorber & shorts, but at the moment you really won't want to bother with my midriff :wink:
    3) LOL over here it's called the "come face" and yes I pull it myself
    4) no issue at all with that
    5) I think that's being helpful
    6) In my gym I doubt anyone would laught at you - honestly not, and I think muscle on a woman is awesome

:drinker:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    When this thread began, I was considering joining a gym for the winter, and the amount of negative judgement here, in one of the more supportive places I've been, really put me off the idea. I was already uneasy, but knowing people at a weight loss/fitness site were being so negative helped convince me to save the money. I'd gone for a free trial, and was working on my general insecurities, and decided against paying to be someone's amusement.

Firstly many people here have laughed at stuff they do THEMSELVES as well as other people.

Gym's are a soap opera with all kinds of characters in it that we all recognise, and the thread is harmless fun and parody of those characters.

If you want to be personally offended by it and make life choices as a consequence of it... well that's really up to you, but that's not what the thread is about.
  • guardup
    Options

Totally agree. When this thread began, I was considering joining a gym for the winter, and the amount of negative judgement here, in one of the more supportive places I've been, really put me off the idea. I was already uneasy, but knowing people at a weight loss/fitness site were being so negative helped convince me to save the money. I'd gone for a free trial, and was working on my general insecurities, and decided against paying to be someone's amusement.

I know your feeling of uneasy. It's okay... but don't let it stop you from taking care of yourself.

I won't defend this thread... but I also don't take it personally. In general, human beings are good and kind hearted. They don't intend to hurt. But humor that focuses on others often has a seed of judgment to it. I've learned to ignore the judgment and focus on myself. However, if I see people doing something that can be hurtful in the presence of others, I will point it out.

Reconsider that gym membership in the light of helping yourself. Don't let the hurt add to your challenge to get healthy.

Over time, you will make friends at the gym and you will find your confidence to be who you are - despite what others say to you or behind your back.

One more piece of advise that works for me: When walking past someone at the gym, make eye contact, smile and give a small nod. Then keep walking. This tiny act of acknowledgement goes FAR for breaking down barriers and helping people to connect with you. Then the gym becomes a community for you... and your spirit strengthens with your body.

Best wishes.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    I would like to make a few points regarding this thread.

I think this is a fun spirited thread that all of us can relate to. I think there is nothing harmful and characterizing people, we all do it to some extent in every venue in our lives. Now to make direct comments to someones face in the gym might be cruel, but to write about a faceless person in a message board is entertaining.

I was at the gym this morning and I actually got to thinking as I worked out, hmmm wonder how people would characterize me... and I started to chuckle.... I love to people watch and while I may shake my head in wonder at some peoples habits.... I learn alot from people in the gym too... even the 'goofy' ones, JUST BY WATCHING.

To not join a gym because of this topic is an excuse of sorts.... There are gyms that are judgement free.... or you can take a different approach and go to the gym for the reason of getting healthy and losing weight.

It doesnt matter what people think of you..... whether you are a leaper, tiptoer, grunter, twirler, laugher, or like to look in the mirror.... the important thing is that you are doing something for you. Everyone I watch, no matter what their actions are.... I admire because they are taking the time to get or stay healthy.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Is anyone noticing the posts on this thread about the people at the gym that also encourage and inspire us? There are several of them in there.
  • believetoachieve
    Options

I think you're just looking for excuses. Have you noticed that in these threads it's just a handful of the SAME people posting over and over again? People watch other people, whether you're walking on the street, in the gym, or shopping for groceries. To avoid doing something immensely beneficial for your body because you're worried that someone might look at you is ridiculous. Have you noticed that a lot of these same people are also laughing at themselves? Everyone makes mistakes.