no wonder i was/am fat...

Options

Replies

• r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    mostly just eating/ grazing without being conscious of how much I was taking in. I'd have a handful of chips here, a bite of this, a bit of that, handful of cereal, never realizing that a bite here and a bit there can easily add up to well over 500 calories! Tracking definitely helps me decide if I "need" a handful of cereal or not. Usually it's not...I tend to be a mindless muncher....
  • lennonluvr
    lennonluvr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would go through enough Coffee Mate French Vanilla Creamer to put an elephant on a sugar high.

When I started to count calories I choked on how many calories are in that stuff.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I used to eat entire pints of Talenti gelato at night, as well as cookies and chocolate pretty much every day. My problem also was that when I'd eat something salty, I'd then want something sweet, and when I'd eat something sweet, I'd then want something salty.
    I've been exercising regularly since last October, so I was under the mistaken impression that I should still be losing weight, simply because I was exercising. But when they say it's 80/20, 80% diet and 20% exercise, it's absolutely correct! I think the exercise I was doing was helping to prevent even more weight gain, but it definitely wasn't going to reverse it or stop it with a bad diet like that.
    Now I keep track of all of my calories and keep them under 1,200 a day as well as still hitting the gym 6 days a week, and in the last 3 weeks I've lost 13 lbs.!
    Portion control and learning to say "no" is the key to dropping those pounds! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    To sum up - one package of anything = one serving.

• rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Whole bags of kettle fried chips in one sitting? Substituting kettle corn instead of a real meal? Part of me really misses those days... I haven't had kettle corn in three months!
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I have to say eating out a lot.
    To be fair, before they started to require restaurants their nutrition information, it was impossible to know how much you were eating.
    Case in point: Uno's INDIVIDUAL sized deep dish pizza:
    Cheese and Tomato: 1750 calories, 119 g of fat
    Chicago Classic: 2300 calories, 164 g of fat

I remember passing out when I first started counting calories and having access to that info....

WOW!

• megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    Nutella. Spoon. Sweet, savage mayhem.
    Yes and yes
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    In the beginning when I was looking at maintenace kj needed I was surprised. To maintain my weight it was like 12-16000 kj. Something in that ball park.

I was like how do I eat that much? Then I started seeing how much kj was in kfc, oporto, pizza and it became clearer.

I used to get a large ultimate box with a crusher for a drink. That would be like 6-7k kj right there.

Now eating 7 k for the entire day is normal, not just for one meal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    To be fair, before they started to require restaurants their nutrition information, it was impossible to know how much you were eating.

I remember passing out when I first started counting calories and having access to that info....

holy SH!TZLE! That's a day's calories in that "individual" cheese pizza!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yeah I almost had one last week end, but reason took over, lol.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Grazing... nothing I liked better than grazing all day and half the night. Since I was only eating a bite here and a bite there I fooled myself into thinking I wasn't eating that much. LIE! I was consuming tons of calories every day and this went on for most of my life. It's no wonder I was 60lbs overweight. Until MFP I was never able to take it all off and then keep it off. Thank you MFP!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah I almost had one last week end, but reason took over, lol.

Wow. That's like going to P.F. Changs!
  • salemxo
    Options
    Mine are so horrible and shameful...ahh here goes!

Would drink about 2,000 calories worth of sugary alcohol and then eat fast food afterwards (probably thousands of calories too)

A large pizza to myself with side orders and dessert

Some days I would have 2 take-aways in one day

Mountains of candy in one sitting

Tubs of Ben & Jerry's

A whole cake in one sitting

...Absolutely disgusting and embarrassing. Makes me feel sick.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lots of things (though no one specific incident stands out)...

drinking sodas all day long (now its rare for me to have one)
    eating a package of cookies in 2 days (ie: nutter butters or oreos)
    eating until i COULDNT eat anymore (all meals). and then going back for something within 2 hours time
    portion sizes... eating 2,3,4 times the rec. portion size
    eating a pound (or more) of fudge in one sitting
    sitting and eating peanut butter by the spoonful. like almost an entire jars worth of spoonfuls LOL
    loading salad dressing on salads
  • mudmonkeyonwheels
    mudmonkeyonwheels Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Being forced to stop mountain bike training/racing and forgetting to stop eating like an athlete....... much pasta, rice and pretty much anything I wanted later I have learnt my lesson.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Walking for 30 minutes...Coming home and eating a whole packet of oreo,a bowl of chinese noodles and chocolate shake.Hey,I walked! So I can eat whatever I want you know. :#

Also,eating a hamburger with large fries and coke and then walking to my residence and thinking I've evened it out.

I had absolutely no idea about calories!! No wonder I used to GAIN whenever I started running/walking..And then wonder why!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Im glad I read this thread...its really eye opening!!! I say that because...I do still have in my head "I barely eat anything! I dont know how I started gaining weight!" but then, seeing the omg, I actually used to do this and Im all..oh, is that bad? LoL That really is eye opening

Like..1 pint of Ben & Jerrys in one sitting. Totally normal to me. *aye!*

For the more obvious...
    7-11 at 3am for 1 Boston Creme and 1 Chocolate covered donught -or-
    Corner gas station at 3am for an apple pastry and starbucks frappacino

...every single night. (Okay, sometimes Id do both. I can't lie)

Usually a #1 at McDonalds for dinner, most times with a strawberry shake. Sometimes pie. At least 3 or 4 days a week, the bacon egg and cheese biscuit for breakfast.

So yeah, Id eat dinner, then 3am donuts or pie.. and really *seriously* was like, hrmm..I only eat one meal all day. I dont get it how Im gaining weight.

Its also no small wonder why I lose weight when I start cooking from home and only eat what I make...even without calorie counting. Not to mention all the money I'm saving...!
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was fat because I always ate the same servings/amounts as my 6'1" husband and I'm only 5'4.5". Splitting the food 50-50 doesn't work or you'll both weigh the same amount. :neutral_face:

This!! I'm 5'3" and my husband is 6'. What's worse is that sometimes I would get seconds after he was done >_<
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    An entire package of Pepperidge Farms cookies (any kind as long as they had chocolate in them somewhere) with a big glass of milk. A whole pint of Ben & Jerrys New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream. A 1 pound bag of peanut M & M's with a big glass of milk. A whole container of Kozy Shack Rice Pudding. I still on occasion inhale an entire pint container of Talenti gelato, which is why I try not to buy it, but opt for the Talenti gelato bars instead. I can stop at one if it's the bars, but the pint I can't stop until I hit the bottom of the container.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I never got the benefits of eating whatever/whenever I wanted....my weight gain was mostly the results of a hormone disorder (which is now thankfully under control) My weakness would be potatoes...anything potato. I also love the club lulu at Jimmy John's but that is a rare treat.

Right there with you....
    thumb_potatoes.gif

No problem for me to sit there and eat a FAMILY SIZED bag of Lay's in one sitting, with a whole tub of chip dip and a 2L of Coke for a "snack"".

Bag of chips-2100 cal.
    Helluva Dip-2tbsp 60 cal.
    Coke- 800 cal.

Aaaack!