A Success Story Of A Different Nature

Options
Graelwyn75
Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
I am a little wary of posting this, because my success story is not a story of weight loss from obesity, but of making good headway in overcoming a decades long eating disorder, and gaining weight since joining mfp. I developed anorexia when I was 13 years old, and it continued on and off for ten years following, taking me down to just 70Ibs at 5'11 the age of 18. I almost died, basically, and again when in my early 20s. I will not go into the cause of my ED, other than to say that I was abused when younger as a child, and the ED was my way of feeling in control, and my way of maybe avoiding my emotions.

Last year, I joined mfp, having slipped back into a mindset where I wished to be lighter than I should have been for my height. At that point, my goal was not to gain weight, but rather to stay as I was, or lose even more. I had a dread of gaining, and the thought of doing weights, and possibly gaining muscle weight kept me far away from strength training. I did not starve myself, but I was not eating enough to cover my active lifestyle. I went down to 123Ibs(I am now only 5'10 - lost an inch from the anorexia) and although I could see I looked underweight, I did not want to change.

Come September last year, I hit an emotional crisis and binged my way up to 140 Ibs. It was a miserable time, but at some point while in the gym, I saw a barbell laying around, and decided I would try and lift it. From there, I started doing stronglifts, my thoughts being 'What the heck, I gained weight anyway so I might as well do something useful with it'. I still had the wish to lose weight and get back down to where I had been, but as time moved on, I seemed to stop aiming for that, and just carried on with the weights, switching to circuits, and eating enough to sustain it. I still weigh around 140, and although some might find muscle on a female unattractive, I quite like what I see when I am working it.

I no longer check my weight. I only know it because a trainer wanted to take my statistics. My bodyfat is sub 15%, and I would say, compared to this time last year, I have come on in leaps and bounds, in spite of still struggling on occasion with insecurity and the odd bad day. It is still a battle, obviously, but at 38, I am hoping I am finally starting to move forward and find a healthier outlet for my emotions. Here are a few photos of how I looked prior to September last year, and how I look today.

Please be kind or skip this post if you find anything in it offensive to the eye.

20120814_153308s_zpse54e6cdd.jpg

20120814_153240s_zpsf2e6e0f0.jpg

And now.

20130515_164005_zps47e4dd15.jpg

20130512_205937_zps1fc6fc31.jpg

20130512_175206_zpsd8ad4dc8.jpg

20130507_005552s_zps33289b86.jpg

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You are doing a fantastic job. I'm super proud of you for putting it all out there. Sharing your story gives hope to others who still struggle. :flowerforyou:
  • nashbear
    nashbear Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You look great. I hope that with watching your eating and the strength training that you feel better.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well done you - I can really see the difference, you're looking way healthier and stronger....good luck going forward
  • dolphinie13
    dolphinie13 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You must be so proud to ditch the ED mindset and instead focus on your well being. I think you've done a commendable job. I wish you all the health and happiness in the world.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Wow you were so small..........I think you look amazing now.....well done!!!!!

You have come so far, keep it up.....and keep lifting girl!!!!!
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You look amazing. Love the photo with you "gun" showing.
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on how far you have come. You look great.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous! I am in awe of your strength through your struggle. Thank you for sharing something so personal with us. :heart:
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You are fierce and strong! Way to go
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You look great, I can see a big difference. Good job.
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow you went a long way. You definately look so much better now. I dont even know you but i feel so proud of you.
    Way to go. So inspirational!
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    that is a completely AWESOME story - thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    No negativity here I think you look gorgeous and healthy :love: You've been on a very difficult journey but should be so very proud of yourself. Congratulations to you and I wish you all the very best life and health.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    It takes some courage to admit body or mental problems. But it takes more guts to do something about it. You have come a long way, and I know it will only keep getting better.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    You look so beautiful and healthy now!
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's a reminder that we're all here with different goals! Keep it up!

10289759.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sarabelle0
    sarabelle0 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!!!!!! What a great accomplishment!
  • franschultz
    franschultz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!! You are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for sharing.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Great job! You have every reason to be proud and celebrate your success! Good luck with your continued journey!
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted your story! MFP is more than just a weight loss tool - it's a lifestyle tool. I think it's amazing that you battled your e.d. with strength training. Keep it up lady!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!