plant based diet ?

Options
Hi guys just wanna have your opinions about a plant based diet. healthy ? Enough protein ? Ect.. Plant based eating is getting a lot of support recently ..

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, you eat meat, so my question is why?
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    >Is it healthy?
    Do you get all the macro- and micronutrients you need from your food? If so, yes. Healthy is a very vague word. Just because something is getting a lot of support doesn't mean it's good - the anti-vaccination movement gained a lot of support, too.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    No better or no worse than an omnivorous diet.

This. If it's something you want to do for a particular reason, you can make it healthy. It also can be unhealthy.

As for protein, you could likely hit your goals, but you would need to be very deliberate about working it into your daily goal. It could take a lot of preplanning depending on what you are trying to cut from your diet.

If you are thinking of getting rid of meat just because it's "healthier". Eh.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lousy idea - the fats and proteins are usually a mess. The animal-based diet is superior, IMO. The primary value of eating plants is due to hormesis effects, I think, and best served if they are an adjunct to a solid base of animal foods.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Eating a plant-based diet is not for the faint of heart. It takes dedication to get the proper nutrients without supplements. Many, if not most, people take up a plant-based diet for "ethical" reasons. In my opinion, an omnivorous diet is easier and more natural for human beings and better to stick to as a rule.

Please note: You can look at my diary and see that I don't eat a lot of red meat. It's more that I can't afford a lot of red meat rather than my having any objection to it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yeah but Bacon
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's unnecessary and there's no compelling reason to eat a plant-based diet unless you are committed to it for ethical concerns.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It is no better for health and weight loss than having an omnivore diet.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and agree it's not more or less healthy than an omni diet unless you make it. Some days I'm a healthy vegan, most I'm not!
    As for protein, I cope fine. Hit my daily goals without trying regularly and I'm only on 1200 cals! I eat a lot of tofu in different dishes, and soy mince/meats have tonnes as well as really low in calories.
    You will find that you're forced in to a lot of home cooking if you don't already, and that does tend to be a lot healthier.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I like meat too much but if you want to do it, do it; however, there is nothing "better" or "magical" about it...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yeah but Bacon

this times a billion...
  • jfmorache
    jfmorache Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thx for the great answer everyone :)
  • JordanLomb
    JordanLomb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    jfmorache wrote: »
    Hi guys just wanna have your opinions about a plant based diet. healthy ? Enough protein ? Ect.. Plant based eating is getting a lot of support recently ..

I've found it to be very beneficial, and I'm a cheap-*kitten* college student and have no prolem with reaching my nutritional and caloric goals. Protein is no problem at all, I don't even use protein powder at all anymore. It's in everything from grains, legumes, veggies & nuts. Plus you'll be doing the animals and planet a favor
  • stefunnymariee
    stefunnymariee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about protein, plant fusion has a great chocolate protein powder
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian in the past, as I was a poor college student, and found I could eat a well-balanced, nutritious diet without the added expense of meat (I did consume eggs and limited dairy, because CHEESE and OMELETS = yummy; but I'm sure those aren't necessary). So my choice was solely financially based--which is a completely valid consideration.

But, I would never say that plant-based vs. omni diet is inherently a healthy vs. unhealthy proposition. You can eat unhealthy/unbalanced under any eating style, or both can be very nutritionally balanced. It's all about what works for your goals, food tastes, etc.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options

You asked about Plant Based, not Vegan...

I'm 99% Plant Based and have been for over a year now. Plants are a much healthier source of protein because they do not contain saturated fats, cholesterol, and whatever bacteria and antibiotics they have to inject animals with. Plant proteins have antioxidants and phytonutrients that protect against and reverse disease and I have no problem getting enough protein. Most people think they need way too much protein and are consuming on average, 50% more then the recommended daily amount. If you take in more protein then your body requires according to your BMI, it still get's stored as fat.

Don't be discouraged and do your own research. You won't find much support here since most fitness pals are adamant about eating meat for other reasons because it's a fact it's NOT healthier...

"Taking in more protein, especially animal protein, than your body needs is not a small matter. It ages you prematurely and can cause significant harm. The excess protein you are not using isn’t stored by the body as protein; it is converted to fat, or it is eliminated via the kidneys. Eliminating excess nitrogen via the urine leaches calcium and other minerals from the bones and breeds kidney stones."

http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/animal-protein-vs-plant-based-protein
    http://hippocratesinst.org/Vegan-Lifestyle/nutrition-phytonutrients
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/myths-and-facts-of-vegan-nutrition-in-bodybuilding/
    http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    MEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT.

Humans evolved to eat it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »

You asked about Plant Based, not Vegan...

I'm 99% Plant Based and have been for over a year now. Plants are a much healthier source of protein because they do not contain saturated fats, cholesterol, and whatever bacteria and antibiotics they have to inject animals with. Plant proteins have antioxidants and phytonutrients that protect against and reverse disease and I have no problem getting enough protein. Most people think they need way too much protein and are consuming on average, 50% more then the recommended daily amount. If you take in more protein then your body requires according to your BMI, it still get's stored as fat.

Don't be discouraged and do your own research. You won't find much support here since most fitness pals are adamant about eating meat for other reasons because it's a fact it's NOT healthier...

"Taking in more protein, especially animal protein, than your body needs is not a small matter. It ages you prematurely and can cause significant harm. The excess protein you are not using isn’t stored by the body as protein; it is converted to fat, or it is eliminated via the kidneys. Eliminating excess nitrogen via the urine leaches calcium and other minerals from the bones and breeds kidney stones."

http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/animal-protein-vs-plant-based-protein
    http://hippocratesinst.org/Vegan-Lifestyle/nutrition-phytonutrients
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/myths-and-facts-of-vegan-nutrition-in-bodybuilding/
    http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

Yeah... No. If you eat more calories than your body needs it will get stored as fat. It doesn't matter if those calories come from protien, fat or carbs. This is just protien fear mongering-which I have to say I've never seen before.