plant based diet ?

Options

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    What about phyto-toxins, phytates and lectins. What about impared mineral absorption? What about myco-toxins in fungi & mould? (Quorn is a mould by the way)

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The OP- seems to think plants are completly benign and meat is the devil's food.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Like I said for anyone looking into and asking about a plant based solution...do NOT be discouraged by those trying to intimidate you. No offence to those who are honest and know the health risks associated with meat and dairy...but for those that really think that plant based is not healthier...you need to do your research.

It's not all about calories in and calories out...it's also about health risks and that comes from the source of those calories that can better your health and that is what some people care about.

Just friend me if your interested. I really don't want to waste my energy here on people that just want to bash and discourage others.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    For the record, I am not going into forums about meat and dairy discouraging and pushing plant based...however, I see a barrage of others doing that in the vegan and plant based topics...I'm new here and that is something I observed right away!

I'm simply answering people that are posting questions about something I'm willing to share with those interested and have experience with.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    For the record, I am not going into forums about meat and dairy discouraging and pushing plant based...however, I see a barrage of others doing that in the vegan and plant based topics...I'm new here and that is something I observed right away!

I'm simply answering people that are posting questions about something I'm willing to share with those interested and have experience with.

That is because going vegan or vegetarian does not automatically equal weightloss or being healthier. It is great if someone whats to do it for moral/ethical reasons, but to preach that it will make you healthier? No.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The issue is that your information is not that good. You could do a lot more for veganism if you used accurate information.

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing those links. The calories in calories out article made very interesting reading and the source seems very credible. I posted it as a separate thread as I thought it worthy.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing those links. The calories in calories out article made very interesting reading and the source seems very credible. I posted it as a separate thread as I thought it worthy.

You mean the thread that got closed?

Those links are the very definition of not credible. Three of them are from very biased sites and as for the last one, well. :noway:
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You mean the thread that got closed?

Yes, the thread was closed (not deleted) so the link is still there for anyone who's actually interested.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nevermind
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

--Mark Twain
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Staying out of the argument, I was under the impression that plant based did not mean full on vegan. How is getting the majority of your calories from fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds bad? Eat some eggs and meat of choice on occasion (including fish, chicken, etc) and bam, that sounds pretty darn healthy to me.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Staying out of the argument, I was under the impression that plant based did not mean full on vegan. How is getting the majority of your calories from fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts and seeds bad? Eat some eggs and meat of choice on occasion (including fish, chicken, etc) and bam, that sounds pretty darn healthy to me.

Plant-based may mean that to some, but it often means restricting animal products and layering on additional restrictions similar to those advocated by "clean eating." There is often an emphasis on high carbs and/or low fat.

I don't think anyone is arguing that getting your the majority of your calories from those things are harmful (at least, I am not). At issue is whether the claims of those advocating a "plant-based diet" are exaggerated.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Like I said for anyone looking into and asking about a plant based solution...do NOT be discouraged by those trying to intimidate you. No offence to those who are honest and know the health risks associated with meat and dairy...but for those that really think that plant based is not healthier...you need to do your research.

It's not all about calories in and calories out...it's also about health risks and that comes from the source of those calories that can better your health and that is what some people care about.

Just friend me if your interested. I really don't want to waste my energy here on people that just want to bash and discourage others.

When you said it's not all about cico a you lost all credibility...

100 calories of plants = 100 calories of meat
  • MochiCupcake
    MochiCupcake Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for a year, and slowly converting to a completely vegan diet for the last couple of months. This is mainly for ethical reasons, but I feel a lot healthier too. However, this is completely a personal thing. I suffer from IBS and neurological problems as well as associated effects, insomnia etc. I have found these problems have decreased significantly with my new diet. I absolutely love my diet now, I feel like I have a lot more energy and I'm getting sick a lot less. But my partner, who has also made the change for ethical reasons, is having a lot more of a tough time. He's not very good at eating a balanced diet, he wants to be vegan but can't bear to ditch the cheese or milk, and has slipped up a few times and eaten meat. His omnivorous diet wasn't healthy, so neither is his vegetarian one. I put more time into preparing food now, I rarely buy food 'on the go' and I pay attention to my food intake. I don't think he's really prepared to do this. So what I'm saying is, plant-based is perfectly healthy if you're prepared to work to make it so. Just like omnivorous. It may just take a little extra work.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by plant based? Do you mean vegetarian or vegan, or just "mostly plants"? I consider my diet plant based because the majority of my food is plants. But I do also eat meat. It's just not what I'd consider the base of my diet.

And that's just me being nosey, because it really doesn't matter. You can eat healthy and get enough protein on any of the answers.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh look, it's the guy eating 1950 calories who bragged about how much he eats now that he stopped starving himself doing CICO.

Because that's so much for a man his age and all.

I'm so glad jane is on this thread. She's a vegan who makes sense.
  • janejellyroll
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Oh look, it's the guy eating 1950 calories who bragged about how much he eats now that he stopped starving himself doing CICO.

Because that's so much for a man his age and all.

I'm so glad jane is on this thread. She's a vegan who makes sense.

This made me laugh out loud. Last night I had one of those huge weird marital fights about whether or not we were using the "right" product to clean our shower and my husband declared that I wasn't making sense. I told him that I was so making sense. Now that we've made up, I can't wait to tell him that at least one person shares my opinion.

Because, of course, you WERE also saying I make sense about the best way to clean the shower.