plant based diet ?

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh look, it's the guy eating 1950 calories who bragged about how much he eats now that he stopped starving himself doing CICO.

Because that's so much for a man his age and all.

I'm so glad jane is on this thread. She's a vegan who makes sense.

This made me laugh out loud. Last night I had one of those huge weird marital fights about whether or not we were using the "right" product to clean our shower and my husband declared that I wasn't making sense. I told him that I was so making sense. Now that we've made up, I can't wait to tell him that at least one person shares my opinion.

Because, of course, you WERE also saying I make sense about the best way to clean the shower.

Yes. Yes I was.

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rawroy wrote: »
    Like I said for anyone looking into and asking about a plant based solution...do NOT be discouraged by those trying to intimidate you. No offence to those who are honest and know the health risks associated with meat and dairy...but for those that really think that plant based is not healthier...you need to do your research.

It's not all about calories in and calories out...it's also about health risks and that comes from the source of those calories that can better your health and that is what some people care about.

Just friend me if your interested. I really don't want to waste my energy here on people that just want to bash and discourage others.

When you said it's not all about cico a you lost all credibility...

100 calories of plants = 100 calories of meat

I'm not defending rawroy's post, but in terms of health it certainly isn't all about CICO. Weight loss IS all about CICO, I'm not arguing that at all. Health is not all about CICO.

Want a non-strawman, real world example? Google "university students with scurvy" and you'll get plenty of hits where healthy teenagers get sick with scurvy from eating crap diets. Here's one http://campusbasement.com/mizzou/brady-deaton/articles/8929/mu-student-diagnosed-with-scurvy-swears-he-isnt-a-pirate

They are probably getting plenty of calories (none of the stories mention weight loss and many/most college students gain weight) but from crappy food... so while CICO keeps them from losing tons of weight the quality of their food makes them sick. Can't say their health is all about CICO.

CICO is a simplification of how weight gain or loss works. It's extremely usefull. It isn't the only thing you ever need to think about in terms of health though. You still need to get your vitamins and minerals and protein and fats. You still need some exercise. You still need to avoid smoking... and over exposure to the sun... and exposure to carcinogens... and on and on.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Like I said for anyone looking into and asking about a plant based solution...do NOT be discouraged by those trying to intimidate you. No offence to those who are honest and know the health risks associated with meat and dairy...but for those that really think that plant based is not healthier...you need to do your research.

It's not all about calories in and calories out...it's also about health risks and that comes from the source of those calories that can better your health and that is what some people care about.

Just friend me if your interested. I really don't want to waste my energy here on people that just want to bash and discourage others.

I'm not defending rawroy's post, but in terms of health it certainly isn't all about CICO. Weight loss IS all about CICO, I'm not arguing that at all. Health is not all about CICO.

Want a non-strawman, real world example? Google "university students with scurvy" and you'll get plenty of hits where healthy teenagers get sick with scurvy from eating crap diets. Here's one http://campusbasement.com/mizzou/brady-deaton/articles/8929/mu-student-diagnosed-with-scurvy-swears-he-isnt-a-pirate

They are probably getting plenty of calories (none of the stories mention weight loss and many/most college students gain weight) but from crappy food... so while CICO keeps them from losing tons of weight the quality of their food makes them sick. Can't say their health is all about CICO.

CICO is a simplification of how weight gain or loss works. It's extremely usefull. It isn't the only thing you ever need to think about in terms of health though. You still need to get your vitamins and minerals and protein and fats. You still need some exercise. You still need to avoid smoking... and over exposure to the sun... and exposure to carcinogens... and on and on.

I don't think anyone here is arguing that CICO is all you need to think about in terms of health. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen anyone here arguing that.
  • mburgess458
    Options

I don't think anyone here is arguing that CICO is all you need to think about in terms of health. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen anyone here arguing that.

The post I quoted said rawroy lost all credibility with his statement about health not being all about CICO.

It went on so say that 100 calories of plant = 100 calories of meat. While that's true for weight gain/loss, it isn't true for health. If you don't eat enough plant based foods you won't get your vitamins/minerals and your health will suffer. Doesn't mean you can't eat some meat (or even a lot of meat), but all calories aren't created equal in terms of health.

I'm not arguing that organic/free range/whatever food is healthier, just that CICO isn't the whole story in terms of health. If no one is saying that it is that's cool, then I'm just arguing with no one ;-)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

The post I quoted said rawroy lost all credibility with his statement about health not being all about CICO.

It went on so say that 100 calories of plant = 100 calories of meat. While that's true for weight gain/loss, it isn't true for health. If you don't eat enough plant based foods you won't get your vitamins/minerals and your health will suffer. Doesn't mean you can't eat some meat (or even a lot of meat), but all calories aren't created equal in terms of health.

I'm not arguing that organic/free range/whatever food is healthier, just that CICO isn't the whole story in terms of health. If no one is saying that it is that's cool, then I'm just arguing with no one ;-)

actually they didn't say that.
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A few studies have linked TMAOs found in red meat with increased cardiovascular disease but there have been other contradictory studies as well, so it is unclear. Given the conflicting evidence, cutting out animal products entirely for health reasons probably doesn't add up. You certainly can be healthy on a vegan diet, but it takes more diligence and care to get all the macros and micros you need. That being said, I don't think anyone would disagree that a diet heavy in plant-based foods is good for you. So go for it if you want : )

Like others have said, CICO is what matters for weight loss, but overall health is more about quantity and composition.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I read the "it" as "weight loss." In other posts, that user has claimed that if you go plant-based, a calorie deficit isn't needed for weight loss.
  • mburgess458
    edited April 2015
    Options

actually they didn't say that.

Which "they" are you talking about? ndj1979 said

"When you said it's not all about cico a you lost all credibility...

100 calories of plants = 100 calories of meat"

That is precisely what he said. I copied and pasted, so yes, that's is what he said.

This was in response to when rawroy said "It's not all about calories in and calories out...it's also about health risks and that comes from the source of those calories that can better your health and that is what some people care about." So yes, he did say it's also about health risks and the source of those calories. Perhaps by source he meant whether it's organic/free-range/whatever, but I took it as also meaning what foods you eat (veggies/fruit versus twinkies/whatever).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    A few studies have linked TMAOs found in red meat with increased cardiovascular disease but there have been other contradictory studies as well, so it is unclear. Given the conflicting evidence, cutting out animal products entirely for health reasons probably doesn't add up. You certainly can be healthy on a vegan diet, but it takes more diligence and care to get all the macros and micros you need. That being said, I don't think anyone would disagree that a diet heavy in plant-based foods is good for you. So go for it if you want : )

Like others have said, CICO is what matters for weight loss, but overall health is more about quantity and composition.

Individual allergies/intollerances aside, cutting out animal products for health reasons makes no sense regardless of whether red meat is good or bad for health. There is ample evidence that fish is good for health.
  • inukshuk1960
    inukshuk1960 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    jfmorache wrote: »
    Hi guys just wanna have your opinions about a plant based diet. healthy ? Enough protein ? Ect.. Plant based eating is getting a lot of support recently ..

You asked about Plant Based, not Vegan...

I'm 99% Plant Based and have been for over a year now. Plants are a much healthier source of protein because they do not contain saturated fats, cholesterol, and whatever bacteria and antibiotics they have to inject animals with. Plant proteins have antioxidants and phytonutrients that protect against and reverse disease and I have no problem getting enough protein. Most people think they need way too much protein and are consuming on average, 50% more then the recommended daily amount. If you take in more protein then your body requires according to your BMI, it still get's stored as fat.

Don't be discouraged and do your own research. You won't find much support here since most fitness pals are adamant about eating meat for other reasons because it's a fact it's NOT healthier...

"Taking in more protein, especially animal protein, than your body needs is not a small matter. It ages you prematurely and can cause significant harm. The excess protein you are not using isn’t stored by the body as protein; it is converted to fat, or it is eliminated via the kidneys. Eliminating excess nitrogen via the urine leaches calcium and other minerals from the bones and breeds kidney stones."

http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/animal-protein-vs-plant-based-protein
    http://hippocratesinst.org/Vegan-Lifestyle/nutrition-phytonutrients
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/myths-and-facts-of-vegan-nutrition-in-bodybuilding/
    http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

Well said. Another good resource is Forks over Knives. Watch the video for anyone who thinks an animal-based diet is good for you.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a plant-based diet. Sometimes I eat plants directly. Sometimes I eat them via an animal that ate them for me.
  • MaternalCopulator
    MaternalCopulator Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The animals I eat, eat plants. Therefore, I eat a plant based diet. :P
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian of almost six years and I have found that my body responded well to eliminating meat. I don't think you should eat a certain way because it's a fad, just eat what you enjoy.
  • jocelynkyork
    jocelynkyork Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here you go! http://engine2diet.com/

Rip Esselstyn is a firefighter and champion triathlete who has great advice for adopting a "plant-strong" diet and getting optimum health.

Here is a video explaining his reasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkEYcmCCCk

Here is his father, Caldwell Esselstyn's webpage. Dr. Esselstyn is a renowned heart physician who advocates for a plant-based diet to fight disease, particularly heart disease: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/

Also check out Rich Roll if you're into running: http://www.richroll.com/
    He also has a great podcast.

Hope that helps! Healthy plant-based is by far the superior choice. Feel free to friend me and follow my diary for recipes.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    jfmorache wrote: »
    Hi guys just wanna have your opinions about a plant based diet. healthy ? Enough protein ? Ect.. Plant based eating is getting a lot of support recently ..

You asked about Plant Based, not Vegan...

I'm 99% Plant Based and have been for over a year now. Plants are a much healthier source of protein because they do not contain saturated fats, cholesterol, and whatever bacteria and antibiotics they have to inject animals with. Plant proteins have antioxidants and phytonutrients that protect against and reverse disease and I have no problem getting enough protein. Most people think they need way too much protein and are consuming on average, 50% more then the recommended daily amount. If you take in more protein then your body requires according to your BMI, it still get's stored as fat.

Don't be discouraged and do your own research. You won't find much support here since most fitness pals are adamant about eating meat for other reasons because it's a fact it's NOT healthier...

"Taking in more protein, especially animal protein, than your body needs is not a small matter. It ages you prematurely and can cause significant harm. The excess protein you are not using isn’t stored by the body as protein; it is converted to fat, or it is eliminated via the kidneys. Eliminating excess nitrogen via the urine leaches calcium and other minerals from the bones and breeds kidney stones."

http://www.vegkitchen.com/nutrition/animal-protein-vs-plant-based-protein
    http://hippocratesinst.org/Vegan-Lifestyle/nutrition-phytonutrients
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/natural-health/myths-and-facts-of-vegan-nutrition-in-bodybuilding/
    http://authoritynutrition.com/debunking-the-calorie-myth/

Well said. Another good resource is Forks over Knives. Watch the video for anyone who thinks an animal-based diet is good for you.

Ah yes, another biased factually incorrect source - excellent continuity for rubbish sources.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

I read the "it" as "weight loss." In other posts, that user has claimed that if you go plant-based, a calorie deficit isn't needed for weight loss.

All this.
  • knitsteel
    knitsteel Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Even a paleo diet is plant-based, with veggies taking up more space on the plate than meats. While you don't need to give up meats, it's a great idea to make fruits, veggies and whole grains take up a much larger portion of your plate than meat.
  • mburgess458
    Options

Ah, I didn't realize the back-story for that user. At least I did say that I wasn't trying to defend him. I certainly don't think that plant-based diets trump CICO.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Here you go! http://engine2diet.com/

Rip Esselstyn is a firefighter and champion triathlete who has great advice for adopting a "plant-strong" diet and getting optimum health.

Here is a video explaining his reasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAkEYcmCCCk

Here is his father, Caldwell Esselstyn's webpage. Dr. Esselstyn is a renowned heart physician who advocates for a plant-based diet to fight disease, particularly heart disease: http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/

Also check out Rich Roll if you're into running: http://www.richroll.com/
    He also has a great podcast.

Hope that helps! Healthy plant-based is by far the superior choice. Feel free to friend me and follow my diary for recipes.

How many of the current Olympic or world record holders at any of the recognised track and field competitions are vegan? How does Rip Esselstyn compare against the Brownlee brothers? How about against Craig 'Crowie' Alexander?

So not superior. Distinctly second best.

but a few people do it - so it must be superior :laugh:
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    And the usual crap "second rate protein / diet / unhealthy" comments just pile on in with no basis in anything but bro science. Of course a vegetarian / vegan diet is healthy, the same as a meat eating one is; but it can be unhealthy too if not done right. And yes - yet again - you do get your protein needs met from a well-balanced healthy vegan / vegetarian diet. Like any diet choice you have to be informed and make healthy choices - being a veggie / vegan does not mean you automatically lose weight - I know plenty of vegetarians that are overweigh - I was myself for years before going on a fitness and calorie counting plan.