plant based diet ?

Options
123457»

Replies

• fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    "measuring the health of a race of people based on their indigenous diets is not practical; there are too many variables" The China Study set out to do just this and seems to have been largely successful. It prompted me to move to a plant based diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    "measuring the health of a race of people based on their indigenous diets is not practical; there are too many variables" The China Study set out to do just this and seems to have been largely successful. It prompted me to move to a plant based diet.

Ahem

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Reading this thread I really miss the strongly opinionated posters, who argue with science, analysed and actually educated me

This forum is a much poorer place for accessing proper scientific papers, and drawing your own opinions since they were removed.

The heated debate was interesting and informative...now we seem left with a much softer, less useful format of debate

Oh well, I've seen it happen over and over again on various fora ...it's just such a shame ...it changed my life for the better and it's so hard to pay forward without those voices
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

The China study is horrible. I've literally read the author of it get asked questions (by Paleos who are no better) and essentially respond with "I'm a professor, you wouldn't understand my sophisticated methodologies." Granted, in an absolute sense, that wouldn't make him wrong, but that's a red flag to me. Not only should someone publishing research be able to explain, a good professor that believes in it should relish the opportunity to teach it to someone without condescension.
  • juheakim
    juheakim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan of almost ten years. While I agree that being vegan doesn't automatically make you healthier or lose weight, I also completely stand behind the fact that done correctly, whole plant-based vegan diet will give you good health and your ideal weight without ever having to count calories.

Here's a study that explores why: Basically, the more phytochemicals you ingest through fruits and vegetables, the slimmer you are–even adjusted for the amount of calories. PI (phytochemical index) was negatively correlated to body weight, body fat, and waist circumference, at every point in the BMI spectrum.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3641567/

This is because your body doesn't treat each calorie equally--your body is less like a simple math equation, than a complex system of biochemical reactions.

Based on my personal experience, I know that this is absolutely true. I eat whatever I want, as much as I want, any time I want--all vegan, mostly unprocessed, mostly home-cooked foods. And I've never felt so lean and comfortable in my body in my life! Here's what I did to get to that point (with before and after pics):
    http://www.peacefuldumpling.com/tips-for-a-healthy-relationship-with-your-body
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Dead animals are SUPER tasty, right?

Eggplant just doesn't caramelize correctly in the smoker, no matter how long you leave it in.
  • pd5370
    pd5370 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You can get a lot of protein with a plant based diet. Foods such as chickpeas, lentils, beans, chia and hemp seeds contain lots of unprocessed and natural protein.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Bourbon and beer are plant based. One can argue that grass fed beef is plant based.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tried but could not do it at this point in my life. I'm glad I tried because I'm eating more seeds and nuts.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    do i even want to read this thread or is it just full of "but bacon" comments

vegan is the best 100%
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Reading this thread I really miss the strongly opinionated posters, who argue with science, analysed and actually educated me

This forum is a much poorer place for accessing proper scientific papers, and drawing your own opinions since they were removed.

The heated debate was interesting and informative...now we seem left with a much softer, less useful format of debate

Oh well, I've seen it happen over and over again on various fora ...it's just such a shame ...it changed my life for the better and it's so hard to pay forward without those voices

I agree. I have no idea why this particular zombie thread was resurrected, but I appreciate it nonetheless.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    do i even want to read this thread or is it just full of "but bacon" comments

vegan is the best 100%

Hey look, I'm a vegetarian, but I think declaring one way of eating to be "the best" is a bit wrong-headed.

It's the best for you.

I agree that the "but bacon" comments on veggie threads are annoying, but conversely there used to be a vegan guy on here who'd go onto all the keto, paleo, and low-carb threads and tell everyone to be a vegan. It's just as poor form.

Can't we all just eat diets of foods we prefer to eat without declaring a "winner"?