What should my daily caloric intake be?

Options
124»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Some people have nothing better to do than prove moral superiority over strangers on the internet.

giphy.gif
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    seraphinos wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ok so-first let me say I am not trying to starve myself. I am new to MFP and put in 1000 calories. I need to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm not a nutritionist so that is why I am guessing. Obviously it wasn't right which is why I am on here asking in hopes someone who knows more than I do-can guide me as to what I should be doing. That's all.

Thanks for trying to be positive. I appreciate it and wish anyone who can't be that way would just keep comments to themselves as I personally am not wishing for sunshine up my bum-as Ana said. BUT what good does a negative vibe to for anyone? No good.

Thanks for your input!! It's appreciated!

Right here is the problem. If you allowed MFP to figure your calories, based on a reasonable goal of loss, it would give you a decent number and you wouldn't be feeling weak.

I didn't know it could do that... Now I do. Thanks to missiontofitness.

I'm pretty sure you did know that thouhg, because this is what the website does as you are creating your account. The entire set up of your account is basically putting in your stats and your weight loss goals. Which then spits out your caloric intake goal.

Yes it did! But I didn't know it would suggest what calories to eat...or at least it didn't for me.

It does for everyone. You bypassed it, deliberately set a low caloric intake, then wondered why you lacked energy.

Ok thanks for "knowing" what I did or didn't do.

It's a guided setup. During setup it asks for basic info ... height, weight, birthdate, weekly loss goal ... after continuing on the bottom of that page, it asks if you'd like to have others join ... then it gives you what it calculated. What you're claiming happened goes against the way the system forces new members to set things up.

Please give her (and us) a break. It was either a simple mistake or a glitch / bug with MFP.

Why should I give somebody a break when they admit to setting their caloric goals below the minimums and claim to have magically bypassed the setup process? Her choice to manually set her intake at 1000 was a deliberate action ... not a glitch.

Because the OP cant's be arsed to take responsibility for anything from the sounds of it. So we should just asspat and sing around a campfire. :noway:

Yes. Because expecting honesty and accountability is asking way too much for some.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ok so-first let me say I am not trying to starve myself. I am new to MFP and put in 1000 calories. I need to lose 10-15 lbs. I'm not a nutritionist so that is why I am guessing. Obviously it wasn't right which is why I am on here asking in hopes someone who knows more than I do-can guide me as to what I should be doing. That's all.

Thanks for trying to be positive. I appreciate it and wish anyone who can't be that way would just keep comments to themselves as I personally am not wishing for sunshine up my bum-as Ana said. BUT what good does a negative vibe to for anyone? No good.

Right here is the problem. If you allowed MFP to figure your calories, based on a reasonable goal of loss, it would give you a decent number and you wouldn't be feeling weak.

I'm pretty sure you did know that thouhg, because this is what the website does as you are creating your account. The entire set up of your account is basically putting in your stats and your weight loss goals. Which then spits out your caloric intake goal.

Yes it did! But I didn't know it would suggest what calories to eat...or at least it didn't for me.

It does for everyone. You bypassed it, deliberately set a low caloric intake, then wondered why you lacked energy.

It's a guided setup. During setup it asks for basic info ... height, weight, birthdate, weekly loss goal ... after continuing on the bottom of that page, it asks if you'd like to have others join ... then it gives you what it calculated. What you're claiming happened goes against the way the system forces new members to set things up.

Please give her (and us) a break. It was either a simple mistake or a glitch / bug with MFP.
    The only glitch that occurs is when MFP sets everyone's goal to 1200 regardless of maintenance needs.

Actually there is a known bug with MFP right now in that it does NOT do that.

Yes, you did not know... yet you give her grief for it and then you say "sorry, I did not know".

The funny thing is that there are pictures of how the setup is working tonight ... and they support the position that counters yours.

It is in the web support. That is how I know. Go look.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Some people have nothing better to do than prove moral superiority over strangers on the internet.

Woah. Pot meet kettle.
  • ana3067
    Options

Why should I give somebody a break when they admit to setting their caloric goals below the minimums and claim to have magically bypassed the setup process? Her choice to manually set her intake at 1000 was a deliberate action ... not a glitch.

Mhm. And she said she changed the goal herself, not that MFP set her goal to 1000 (which is doesn't do for anyone). And as shown, there is no opportunity in the set up to set your own custom goal. You can only do that AFTER the website has already given you a goal based on the stats you provided.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Because the OP cant's be arsed to take responsibility for anything from the sounds of it. So we should just asspat and sing around a campfire. :noway:

Yes. Because expecting honesty and accountability is asking way too much for some.

On a site designed for accountability... oh the bitter irony!!
  • ana3067
    Options

The only glitch that occurs is when MFP sets everyone's goal to 1200 regardless of maintenance needs.

Actually there is a known bug with MFP right now in that it does NOT do that.

Yes, you did not know... yet you give her grief for it and then you say "sorry, I did not know".

And? It still does not give a 1000 calorie goal, nor does it bypass the entire process of steps that I posted above. OP changed the goal herself, fully aware that she was already given a calorie goal, because the MFP-set goal needs to be implemented before the account can even be used.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love how page 3 of this discussion, preceding this comment, has 2 posts by JimFsfitnesspal and 12 posts by the same cadre of folks egging each other on in some sort of perverted pissing contest.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I love how page 3 of this discussion, preceding this comment, has 2 posts by JimFsfitnesspal and 12 posts by the same cadre of folks egging each other on in some sort of perverted pissing contest.

Actually most of us are agreeing with each other about the lack of honesty on the OP's part. Lying about it isn't doing OP any favours, and many of us who are responding back and forth actually know each other on these forums, so we are simply engaging in conversation pertaining to things discussed in this thread.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Yet you're the one making claims that others are trying to "prove moral superiority over strangers" after posting, and quickly removing, a meme referring to a sphincter/stick interface. If you cannot see the hypocrisy in this, well, you then don't understand what hypocritical behavior is.

The OP claimed to bypass the guided setup process to then manually set her intake at 1000 calories. The fact that one must first go through the setup process before getting to a point where they can then manually set a caloric goal is an important one ... and one that directly counters her posts.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Remember fat and protein are your friend. Also a point you also may not realize is you may need a pre workout carb or drink if it is really a intense workout or bcaas then post workout have a yogurt n banana or something for morning snack followed by a protein at lunch. This will help up your energy level and eating a bit more. Also you may need a preworkout snack if you are doing it on a empty stomach to power through.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Some of us once suggested an update to the tool informing new users to eat as many calories as possible during the setup, but were told it wasn't necessary. A lot of users might intuitively think being successful means selecting as few calories as possible, even though this tends to lead to lower levels of compliance.

Personally I have no actual recollection of my guided setup as I didn't start using the account right away. When I did start using it, I wasn't successful until I read a bunch of posts and elected to lower my deficit to 1/2 lb per week
  • ana3067
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Some of us once suggested an update to the tool informing new users to eat as many calories as possible during the setup, but were told it wasn't necessary. A lot of users might intuitively think being successful means selecting as few calories as possible, even though this tends to lead to lower levels of compliance.

Personally I have no actual recollection of my guided setup as I didn't start using the account right away. When I did start using it, I wasn't successful until I read a bunch of posts and elected to lower my deficit to 1/2 lb per week

I think that this suggested update would be great. Or at least being informed to eat right up to the calorie goal because this is how much you need to eat to lose the weight. Or maybe showing "x is how much you can eat to maintain your weight, here is your calorie goal to lose 1lb/week, eat to this goal every day" just so people can clearly see that their goal already sets a deficit for them. Even though the set up should make it obvious that the given goal is your deficit goal, but still.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,227 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    davis_em
This discussion has been closed.