How do you cut your craving for sugar??

Options
lgramberg15
lgramberg15 Posts: 46 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm most definitely addicted to sugar..most of the time the sugar I eat in the day comes from fruit (some from added sugar like chocolate or vitamin water), but I find myself craving sweets every night and I need to learn how to cut the craving! Any ideas/advice?

Replies

• Albabe79
    Albabe79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You never lose the cravings completely. The longer you dont have what you crave then you will forget what it taste like I used to eat. Eat your fruits and they will become your new craving
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    I make a pitcher of water and squeeze a whole lemon and half a lime in it (I refill the pitcher when its half gone until there is no flavor left) I drink it all day and I use two packets of splenda in my 20oz glass
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No advice. I just ate a whole chocolate peanut butter bar. It fit into my day. I could have had half if it wouldn't. No reason to be so worried about sugar.
  • aaronames
    Options
    I decided to cut out all added sugar from my diet once. Lasted close to two years. After a few months the craving was easily satisfied with a little fruit. It took a while for the adjustment but it really wasn't bad after that.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I crave too. To some extent, it comes down to self-control. For me, sometimes I keep a candy bar in the fridge. Just one. And because it's only one, I try to save it for when it 'feels right'. Like for example on my night off, when I can really enjoy it, or while I'm playing my favorite video game with friends. Something like that. I make it something I don't want to gobble down and then feel like I should have waited. I can put off eating that candy bar for 4-5 days some weeks without feeling like I'm trying too hard. I'm not the greatest at portion control when I have tons of sweets around, so it works for me.
  • leomarquez15
    leomarquez15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Spoonful of peanut butter.
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Peanut butter is an excellent dessert. So is cookie butter.
  • leomarquez15
    leomarquez15 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try bubble gum
  • arditarose
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Save room in your day for a dessert. My diary is open. You will see a dessert in there every. single. night. Why do you need to cut the craving?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Peanut butter is an excellent dessert. So is cookie butter.

I've never tried cookie butter. It sounds so appealing to me. What's it like?
  • slondro
    slondro Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A sweet tooth can come from any number of things, but there are some measures you can take to lessen it.

1. Make sure you get plenty of water. Try having a glass of water and waiting a few minutes--your body may actually be mistaking dehydration for the need for sugar.

2. Try to focus on sources of sugar with a lower glycemic load. For example, milk chocolate causes a steeper spike in blood sugar than bananas. Apples have an even lower glycemic load than bananas, and blueberries/strawberries are lower than both. By reducing spikes in blood sugar, your body may stop urging you to find ways to replenish it.

3. Are you getting enough protein and fat? Those can stay with you longer than carbs (especially simple carbs), so you may feel more satiated after dinner and not have to turn to dessert.

All that said, I agree with arditarose to a large extent: if you can fit some sweets into your macros, go for it! You're more likely to stick to a healthy diet if you can enjoy your favorite foods.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The way I cut cravings is to gradually reduce the amounts I consume over time. The more I eat, the more I want. I find that when I'm more active and well hydrated, I seem to have fewer cravings of any kind.
  • Jelly beans. Most Jelly Belly jelly beans are only 4 Calories each & since they are so chewy, it takes longer for me to consume 6 of them; than it does 2 cookies. The longer it takes me to consume something, the more I feel satisfied; after consumption.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Don't reinforce it. Sugar is addictive like any other pleasure giving substance. If you are addicted you probably need to cut back a great deal until you get a handle on it. I had to cut it out all together. No cake, no candy, only artificially sweetened drinks and fruits that were low on the sugar scale (no grapes, dates, raisins, bananas ect but strawberries, watermellon, and other high water or fiber to sugar ratio were allowed). It was hard but I finally got a decent handle on my sweet craving and I can control myself enough to have a cookie without needing to eat 5 now. I know that if I eat a heavy sweet item like a milk shake I will crave more sweets for the next few days so often those treats are not worth the trouble these days.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Ween off. I cut added sugar out as much as possible. I have a little chocolate and stuff here and there. First I switched from regular milk to almond milk. Then I started mixing unsweetened with sweetened. I can now drink unsweetened cashew and flax milk and it doesn't bother me at all. My major sweet tooth was sweet coffee creamer. I weened myself down to 2 tbs of So delicious french vanilla coconut creamer. I will try and do cinnamon and PB for sweet, it works for me. I have got myself down to a 1/2 tsp of honey or maple syrup on pancakes and waffles. Just keep cutting back.
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Save room in your day for a dessert. My diary is open. You will see a dessert in there every. single. night. Why do you need to cut the craving?

I'm having a very hard time losing weight and I think it might be due to how much sugar I eat
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I do it by keeping my hand out of the cookie jar.

Sugar isn't addictive in humans. Sorry, no strong evidence to support that theory exists.

Actually there's been studies suggesting that sugar releases dopamine in the brain, and that when you have too much of it, you have a need for the dopamine release more often
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    Ween off. I cut added sugar out as much as possible. I have a little chocolate and stuff here and there. First I switched from regular milk to almond milk. Then I started mixing unsweetened with sweetened. I can now drink unsweetened cashew and flax milk and it doesn't bother me at all. My major sweet tooth was sweet coffee creamer. I weened myself down to 2 tbs of So delicious french vanilla coconut creamer. I will try and do cinnamon and PB for sweet, it works for me. I have got myself down to a 1/2 tsp of honey or maple syrup on pancakes and waffles. Just keep cutting back.

Perfect I'm already lactose intolerant so I usually don't have milk or half and half of any kind! Thanks for the tip!