How do you cut your craving for sugar??

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    cmoorofum wrote: »
    I wish I could eliminate my sugar cravings. That is what causes the most fat in your stomach!

How exactly to you determine that is was the sugar?

• lgramberg15
    lgramberg15 Posts: 46 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Alright this is like arguing with flat Earthers. Let's just ignore the people trying to convince us that food cannot be addictive and focus on the advice. OP have sugar cravings. They are real. How does she prevent them? that is the only thing we need to talk about here.

As I said before, my advice is to abstain for a short time, and then when you no longer feel strong physical or mental urges for it, if you feel like you can handle it, reintroduce your favourite things in moderation.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Like I said earlier, you wanted validation and a cuddle, not advice.

Maybe in a year or so you'll listen and make progress. Maybe not.

You do realize that you haven't quite given me any advice, all you've proven to me is that humans can't have a sugar addition?
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    Sugar addiction may not be scientifically proven but personally, I can not eat a lot of carbs. I have proven this to myself and doubting family and friends. When I cut out beans, potatoes, and bread I can loose 2-3 lbs a week no problem. Add those carbs and I can gain it all back plus some. I lost 93 lbs in a year. Got cocky and allowed myself to have each forbidden item once a week. I changed nothing else. In 6 months I regained 35 lbs. Very disheartening but it is what I must do. We are all different so you have to explore what works best for you.

This journey is hard and sometimes you will get a response you don't like, but take a little time to think about the info you get. Many people on here have made it thru these same trials and have wonderful points no matter the delivery ---listen, try it, if it works for you, continue; if not, try something else.

Be real honest with yourself, log, drink water, and find what works then go for it. I know I tend to go on, but that is me. The water is important, drink before you eat; I think you will be surprised, I was. A couple of tips: mash a banana, divide into small portions (small cookie size works for me), I put it on a small paper plate and cover, freeze, eat, tastes real creamy esp if banana is real ripe. You can also add a little milk , stir or blend, drink. Grapes are great frozen, too. You get refreshed, only eat a few because they are so cold, and get a natural sweet treat.

Bottom line, get to know your body, take honest looks at your steps back, and always CELEBRATE your successes. Not with food but something else you love...Good luck

Banana idea is great! Is that normally what you have for dessert?
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Get or make some stevia based treats. In UK we have Oppo ice cream, or you can make cookies etc with stevia based sweeteners. There is a bakery near me in London that makes some of these things - I tried a cookie from there and would never have known it was stevia not sugar based if I hadn't been told.

Alternatively, eat cheese when you want to indulge ;=)
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DeWoSa wrote: »

maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

Solution: Eat more added sugar foods!

I see that you are back after your previous sojourns to take my posts out of context...

My suggestion to the OP is that if she incorporates a serving or two of ice cream (or some other kind of treat) into her daily allowance then maybe she would not feel the urge to eat consume sugar all the time.

If you read the entire thread you will see that OP has gone from "sugar addict" to "craving sugar" to a "consistent urge to eat sugar" ...so for some reason she keeps moving the goal posts...

The reason I've changed what I've said is because you seem to be displeased with every way that I try to explain my situation to you.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    No advice. I just ate a whole chocolate peanut butter bar. It fit into my day. I could have had half if it wouldn't. No reason to be so worried about sugar.

How exactly does eating a whole chocolate peanut butter bar that fits into your day cut down on cravings?

to cut my sugar craving down I just ate a box of Girl scout cookies. Not craving sugar anymore. and i believe it will fit into my day. maybe. lol now Im out of girl scout cookies.

Let's sit down at the same table. We both have a sugar craving, so we eat all the Girl Scout cookies (and seriously? No milk? Didn't you get super dry throat?).

When we get up from the table, you still get to eat 980 more calories for the rest of the day, while I only get to eat 200 more.

Now, in addition to my cravings, I am also going to be super hungry for the rest of the day.

Your solution works for you, but it doesn't work for me.

I never said it was a solution for anyone but me. Those other 980 calories went for 1200 calories of Ben and Jerrys, some (half a big bag of cinnamon and sugar cheetos a bratwurst and a bowl of soup.) I only have a 200 calorie deficit going as I'm not 'commited' yet to cut my 10 lbs from my first buIk. My goals are probably very different from yours. My first and foremost being to not skip a workout ever. As for the milk I don't particularly like it. Now let's eat some cookies someday:)
  • racheljacobsen
    racheljacobsen Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I keep dark chocolate Hershey kisses (approximately 21 calories per kiss) in my fridge and when I want something sweet I take one or two or three depending on how many calories I have left for the day and let them melt slowly in my mouth and I also try and stretch out the time between each. That satisfies my sugar/chocolate craving but it took me a long time to get to the point where I could be happy with just a few and I made the mistake of pairing them with peanut butter last week, so yummy but a big mistake, I couldn't control myself.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I keep dark chocolate Hershey kisses (approximately 21 calories per kiss) in my fridge and when I want something sweet I take one or two or three depending on how many calories I have left for the day and let them melt slowly in my mouth and I also try and stretch out the time between each. That satisfies my sugar/chocolate craving but it took me a long time to get to the point where I could be happy with just a few and I made the mistake of pairing them with peanut butter last week, so yummy but a big mistake, I couldn't control myself.

Bolded is a good example that moderation and will power need to be practiced...

I am in a similar situation...

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options

1. You are not "addicted" to sugar. People like to throw around the word "addiction" where it doesn't belong, using it as an excuse for doing things they shouldn't be doing, like overeating. You like sugar, and I'd say a lot of us do. Regardless, you certainly do not have an addiction to sugar. Period.

Look, there are plenty of studies that indicate that highly palatable foods have addictive qualities. Even Harvard says so:
    http://hms.harvard.edu/news/addicted-food-7-3-13

It's fine if you don't believe the research and studies, but it's not fine to spread misinformation and make claims that something does or doesn't exist just because you think so.
  • Annie81503
    Annie81503 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I do the same but with a jolly rancher, it lasts longer than a Hershey's kiss in my mouth!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

1. You are not "addicted" to sugar. People like to throw around the word "addiction" where it doesn't belong, using it as an excuse for doing things they shouldn't be doing, like overeating. You like sugar, and I'd say a lot of us do. Regardless, you certainly do not have an addiction to sugar. Period.

Look, there are plenty of studies that indicate that highly palatable foods have addictive qualities. Even Harvard says so:
    http://hms.harvard.edu/news/addicted-food-7-3-13

It's fine if you don't believe the research and studies, but it's not fine to spread misinformation and make claims that something does or doesn't exist just because you think so.

so based on this anything that gives me pleasure is addicting. SO if driving my car gives me pleasure, then I can be addicted to driving.

Second - the study you reference is done on 12 obese men. I would actually argue that obese people probably should restrict sugar and all kinds of other things as well. And that is a pretty small sample size.

Third - this pretty much refutes the Harvard study ...http://www.clinicalnutritionjournal.com/article/S0261-5614(09)00239-8/pdf < for some reason it does not allow me full access anymore...

but here is the conclusion...

There is no support from the human literature for the hypothesis that sucrose may be physically addictive or that addiction to sugar plays a role in eating disorders.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm a little tardy to the party, so I'll just reiterate:

Sugar is not addictive, though it's a controversial topic because they -may- have found slightly addictive qualities to sugar and reactions when sugar is consumed. Whatever, yadda yadda. In the mean time, I eat sugar everyday. OP, if you really want to have sugar, I'd take ndj1979's advice and make some room in your intake for dessert. If you want to, set a range for yourself (ie give yourself the option to have 300-400 calories of sweet treats or dessert items each day. That way you could either have a few small treats throughout the day or a collective dessert after dinner/at a time you choose). Nothing wrong with having sugar each day, and I wholeheartedly believe that. Besides, I work in a bakery. Someone's gotta eat the broken pies and leftover scones.

ETA: I also wouldn't go for "diet" desserts or sugar free unless you legitimately enjoy that. I've tried to sub out what I love for lower calorie versions but man, it just doesn't hold to the real thing. Then I get upset because I was dissatisfied, wasted money, and probably just polished off the whole container hoping that the substitute would get better.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Here's my first proposal: it's always best to pay no attention to any nit-pickety bad-mannered "advice". You don't have to explain or justify yourself to anyone.

I love sweets, so I eat sweets daily, it's just that I make homemade desserts made with whole natural ingredients. For example, black bean brownies sweetened with dates, banana-chocolate ice cream (sweetened the by frozen ripe bananas). The black bean brownies are great because they are also high protein. These completely satisfy my sweet tooth and I feel good about eating them.

Yes it's not convenient because I have to make desserts from scratch, but it's worth it.

Enjoy fruit during the daytime too.

Add me as a friend if you'd like. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

I see that you are back after your previous sojourns to take my posts out of context...

My suggestion to the OP is that if she incorporates a serving or two of ice cream (or some other kind of treat) into her daily allowance then maybe she would not feel the urge to eat consume sugar all the time.

If you read the entire thread you will see that OP has gone from "sugar addict" to "craving sugar" to a "consistent urge to eat sugar" ...so for some reason she keeps moving the goal posts...

The reason I've changed what I've said is because you seem to be displeased with every way that I try to explain my situation to you.

I think you are confusing me with someone else...

Honestly, I do not care what you do ...but I am going to counter all this "sugar is addictive" or "sugar is poison" nonsense that keeps going around...

if you want to eliminate sugar 100% then good for you and go for it. Enjoy the self torture that, that causes...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Here's my first proposal: it's always best to pay no attention to any nit-pickety bad-mannered "advice". You don't have to explain or justify yourself to anyone.

I love sweets, so I eat sweets daily, it's just that I make homemade desserts made with whole natural ingredients. For example, black bean brownies sweetened with dates, banana-chocolate ice cream (sweetened the by frozen ripe bananas). The black bean brownies are great because they are also high protein. These completely satisfy my sweet tooth and I feel good about eating them.

Yes it's not convenient because I have to make desserts from scratch, but it's worth it.

Enjoy fruit during the daytime too.

Add me as a friend if you'd like. :)

so any advice contrary to what OP wants is "nit picky" and "bad mannered"....I did not know that MFP was a self validation site for every single posters postings...
  • alesiastanford
    alesiastanford Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian about a year and a half ago. My sugar cravings have all but disappeared. Don't get me wrong, I still love a cookie or cake or pie, but I don't crave it, unless I'm really stressed. Give it a try. Go meatless for a day or two and see how it works for you!!
  • lgramberg15
    Options

Love this logic:

Honestly, I do not care what you do ...but I am going to counter all this "sugar is addictive" or "sugar is poison" nonsense that keeps going around...

if you want to eliminate sugar 100% then good for you and go for it. Enjoy the self torture that, that causes...

I'm not wanting to cut sugar out of my diet completely, I don't think I said that in this. I'm just trying to figure out how to curb my sugar cravings in general. I'll expand a little bit; I usually stay within the range of calories given to me my MFP, but my sugar intake is often 30+ grams over the suggested amount. Even though I eat a lot of fruits (like a whole grapefruit every morning that has 16 grams) I'm trying to limit the amount of added sugar I eat, but I want to know the best way to go around that without driving myself crazy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Love this logic:

I'm not wanting to cut sugar out of my diet completely, I don't think I said that in this. I'm just trying to figure out how to curb my sugar cravings in general. I'll expand a little bit; I usually stay within the range of calories given to me my MFP, but my sugar intake is often 30+ grams over the suggested amount. Even though I eat a lot of fruits (like a whole grapefruit every morning that has 16 grams) I'm trying to limit the amount of added sugar I eat, but I want to know the best way to go around that without driving myself crazy.

The suggested amount for MFP is very low because it is supposed to reflect the recommendation for "added sugar", but there is no way to differentiate added sugar versus naturally occurring sugars. So, fruit should not count towards the recommendation they give you, but it does because that's how nutrition values are given.

I don't track sugar (I just aim to stay within my carb goal since sugar is a carb), and I started tracking fiber instead. Personally, I found this more helpful.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I became a vegetarian about a year and a half ago. My sugar cravings have all but disappeared. Don't get me wrong, I still love a cookie or cake or pie, but I don't crave it, unless I'm really stressed. Give it a try. Go meatless for a day or two and see how it works for you!!

so meat made you crave sugar?
  • lgramberg15
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Love this logic:

The suggested amount for MFP is very low because it is supposed to reflect the recommendation for "added sugar", but there is no way to differentiate added sugar versus naturally occurring sugars. So, fruit should not count towards the recommendation they give you, but it does because that's how nutrition values are given.

I don't track sugar (I just aim to stay within my carb goal since sugar is a carb), and I started tracking fiber instead. Personally, I found this more helpful.

What kinds of foods do you eat to keep your fiber up?