How do you cut your craving for sugar??

Options

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    32oz of choc milk, box of doughnuts will do the trick. I need the cals though (distance runner).
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love sweet foods like anyone else and have had a lifetime of weight fluctuation. Had a bit of a wake up call today and thought my information might be on interest given some of the comments I have read in this forum which seem somewhat indifferent to the potential damage sugar can do to our health. For what it is worth here is my experience: I was informed today by my General Practitioner who has a speciality in health medicine that I have an intolerance to Carbohydrates due to the "roller-coaster" ride my body has been on as a result of excessively high blood sugar levels over time. Although rather simplistic, the explanation I was offered was that my cells have become resistant to insulin due to the constantly high levels of sugar in my blood-stream. High sugar levelled stimulate the pancreas to produce the hormone insulin. Since the primary function of insulin is to facilitate the production and storage of fat from sugar...guess what happens if I eat too many carbs and even worse, when I eat even small quantities of sugar (remember that almost all foods eventually breakdown into sugar) . It seems to me that the issue isn't added vs "natural" sugars as much as the quantity of sugar baring in mind our pre-existing insulin levels as shaped by our physiology and body chemistry and how our cells have been impacted by blood sugar fluctuations over time. I wonder how many of us "obese" individuals realise that we are on the fasttrack road to diabetis 2 if we are not careful of sugar (and excessive carbohydrate intake)? It's food for though both literally and figuratively. Just wanted to share this with my friends on here.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Are you serious???? You binge on bread?? What do you think bread breaks down into in the body?? SUGAR. It's the same molecular structure by the time our body chemistry does it's thing. Your suggestions are sure to keep people fat. Sad but true.

auddii wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Save room in your day for a dessert. My diary is open. You will see a dessert in there every. single. night. Why do you need to cut the craving?

I'm having a very hard time losing weight and I think it might be due to how much sugar I eat

It's down to how many calories you consume, not sugar.

If you want to cut it out then do so, just don't fill the gap with something else. Either that or exercise a bit more willpower. I'm afraid there aren't any other choices.

Obviously I know that it's down to calorie intake, I'm not stupid.. Sugar has more calories than other types of food I.e. If I eat it im consuming more calories....
    Actually, sugar is a carb, which has 4 calories per gram, which is less than the 9 calories per gram that is in fat.

If you are eating sugary things in excess and that is causing you to go over your calories for the day, then perhaps you should not have them around. I personally would binge on bread and other carb/starchy foods including any candy that I bought. For a long time, I had to not buy it at all.

Then, when I felt I had control over my cravings, I slowly reintroduced sugary items, but in sensible portions. For me, the way to do that was to go out to a nice gelato shop and buy a single 3oz serving. I got used to the correct portion. I also found I loved quality gelato, and that I was much more satisfied with full flavors.

Now, I can buy ice cream and gelato and keep it in my house, weigh out one single portion, and be satisfied and save the rest for future enjoyment.

If you are within you daily calorie limit and not losing weight, it's not because of the sugar. Tighten up your logging and making sure you are being accurate in what you log (avoid generic and inaccurate entries in the database, weigh solid foods, measure liquids, track everything that goes into your mouth).

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Everytime I crave it?? ^

Save room in your day for a dessert. My diary is open. You will see a dessert in there every. single. night. Why do you need to cut the craving?

I'm having a very hard time losing weight and I think it might be due to how much sugar I eat

It's down to how many calories you consume, not sugar.

If you want to cut it out then do so, just don't fill the gap with something else. Either that or exercise a bit more willpower. I'm afraid there aren't any other choices.

Obviously I know that it's down to calorie intake, I'm not stupid.. Sugar has more calories than other types of food I.e. If I eat it im consuming more calories....

Sugar is a carb. Carbs have 4 kcal per gram, the same as protein. Fat has 9.

But, as you say, you're not stupid, so make a choice - cut it out, eat less of it, or stay fat.

Not quite sure what I ever did to you, but you have no right to talk to me like that. Please get off my post

People get defensive about sugar around here. Don't take it personally, everyone who suggests they want to cut back on sugar gets the same flack.

Anyway my advice for cutting sugar cravings is to increase fat and protein, doesn't have to be a lot, while slowly removing the excess sugar. Also make sure you drink a lot of water. Over time the cravings do go away. I know how those cravings feel and I know how difficult they can be.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    The less you eat it the less you crave it. Moderation is a skill you have to learn. I actually cut out all sweets (cookies chocolate Ice cream etc) for a while. Maybe a month or so. Then I decided to add them back in but still stay within my calorie goal. I find keeping a good diary and trying to stay within a certain calorie range makes moderation easy. If you are committed to losing weight then you make it work.
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction may not be scientifically proven but personally, I can not eat a lot of carbs. I have proven this to myself and doubting family and friends. When I cut out beans, potatoes, and bread I can loose 2-3 lbs a week no problem. Add those carbs and I can gain it all back plus some. I lost 93 lbs in a year. Got cocky and allowed myself to have each forbidden item once a week. I changed nothing else. In 6 months I regained 35 lbs. Very disheartening but it is what I must do. We are all different so you have to explore what works best for you.

This journey is hard and sometimes you will get a response you don't like, but take a little time to think about the info you get. Many people on here have made it thru these same trials and have wonderful points no matter the delivery ---listen, try it, if it works for you, continue; if not, try something else.

Be real honest with yourself, log, drink water, and find what works then go for it. I know I tend to go on, but that is me. The water is important, drink before you eat; I think you will be surprised, I was. A couple of tips: mash a banana, divide into small portions (small cookie size works for me), I put it on a small paper plate and cover, freeze, eat, tastes real creamy esp if banana is real ripe. You can also add a little milk , stir or blend, drink. Grapes are great frozen, too. You get refreshed, only eat a few because they are so cold, and get a natural sweet treat.

Bottom line, get to know your body, take honest looks at your steps back, and always CELEBRATE your successes. Not with food but something else you love...Good luck

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wait so sugar addicts should restrict sugar for a month and then re-introduce to cure addiction?

so a crack head can eliminate crack for a month and then start smoking it again on a limited basis and they are cured???

Yes (about the sugar, not the crack). Not everyone can handle it, as I mentioned, but people can break the habit of over-consumption and then train themselves to consume reasonably. Once an addict, always an addict is not true. It is possible to become addicted again though if you let it get out of hand. It takes a certain amount of self control. The thing about sugar addicts is, they like sugary foods. For most people, if you tell them they can NEVER have what they love most ever again, then they will never stick to it. And keep in mind we are talking about food here, not crack. Sugar is fine in certain amounts. Crack is not fine in any amount. Physical addiction to sugar is a real thing. It comes from over-consumption. It starts a chain of event that make a person crave it and feel like crap if they do not have it. There is also the mental component which often comes with a physical addiction but can also be independent of one.

But if you want to talk about drugs and other well known addictive things, and perhaps argue that an addict is always an addict, I can at least offer my anecdotal experience of quitting smoking. I smoked for 10 years and was utterly addicted. I guess you can choose not to believe me about that but that would just be argumentative, really. Anyway, I quite 8 years ago and can tell you right now, that I am no longer addicted. Not smoking is not an effort for me whatsoever. I find it disgusting and the smell makes me feel sick. I won't do it because it is vile, but I could smoke a cigarette right now and never want another one. Ever.

And if you are arguing that sugar is not addictive because you have never become addicted, then I can offer my factoid that I have never been addicted to alcohol. I have consumed it, sometimes a few times a week for months at a time. But not drinking is not an issue for me, whereas other people are prone to become addicted after much less consumption than I had.

Everyone's brain reacts to chemicals differently. Everyone has a different spectrum of emotions and addictability. that is why I stressed the importance of finding her own way to deal with it.

thank your for the long reply.

my point is that you want to say sugar is addictive but then you treat said addiction by re-introducing the addictive substance. If that was the case then you could do the same with cocaine, heroin, alcohol, etc...but I have never once heard someone say "after 30 days of rehab I re-introduced cocaine, and I am now not addicted"..

What you are saying with sugar is that is an issue with will power and self control. Lack of those two things does not equal addiction.

Don't all addicts have issues with will power and self control? An alcoholic lacks the will power and self control not to take a drink. A heroin addict lacks the self control not to shoot up. There is nothing forcing them to partake any more than there is something forcing someone to eat another candy bar. Nothing but a craving.

so wanting one more donut because it tastes good and you lack self control not to have it = sugar addiction?

using that logic I can be addicted to anything..

lets just drop the pretense...the sugar addiction argument is ridiculous.

Okay the real issue here is that I have a CONSISTENT URGE TO EAT SUGAR EVERYDAY. This is the question I asked in the beginning, I do not want to argue over the fact if sugar is addicting or not, I am simply asking what I can do to lessen the cravings. Simply that. no debate. just want to know what I should change.

maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    Options
    Just plan out your foods for the day/week, include some and make adjustments going forward. The rest is willpower and accountability.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    People get defensive about sugar around here. Don't take it personally, everyone who suggests they want to cut back on sugar gets the same flack.

Defensive? No. Saying you want to cut back on sugar (calories) because you are eating too much is a very different statement then saying I need to eliminate sugar because it is making me fat. The latter is the reason we keep speaking out...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

QFT...

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

Solution: Eat more added sugar foods!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    strozman wrote: »
    I'm most definitely addicted to sugar..most of the time the sugar I eat in the day comes from fruit (some from added sugar like chocolate or vitamin water), but I find myself craving sweets every night and I need to learn how to cut the craving! Any ideas/advice?

TRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIATRUVIA

GAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAG
    GAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAG.

Oh, and,gag.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Well that didn't format well but I think I made my point. LOL. Truvia=gross. LOL
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    dseign wrote: »
    I'm most definitely addicted to sugar..most of the time the sugar I eat in the day comes from fruit (some from added sugar like chocolate or vitamin water), but I find myself craving sweets every night and I need to learn how to cut the craving! Any ideas/advice?

Low carb. Do it for 3 days. You will kill your appetite.

Yeah but if you only do low carb for three days your appetite will not only come back when you go off it, you won't even start to adjust to burning ketones instead of carbs for fuel. You might feel horrid on day three (but a lot of people do feel their worst on day 4 and 5) and wonder why anyone would even do that to themselves.

To judge the benefits of low carb for a long term or lifetime approach to eating (because if you go off it, the cravings will probably come back) you should really do it for at least three weeks. Better yet, six weeks. By then the energy really kicks in for those who do well on low carb and the appetite and cravings are damped down during or after week two if that part works for you.

• J72FIT
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

Perhaps the craving is more to do mentally then physically. It's human nature to desire the things we perceive we can't have. So in that sense, the advice makes perfect sense. This was at least my experience...

I also think you got the solution confused... he did not say "eat more sugar foods." He said,
    "maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it…."

Very different...

• cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I wish I could eliminate my sugar cravings. That is what causes the most fat in your stomach!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

Love this logic:

I see that you are back after your previous sojourns to take my posts out of context...

My suggestion to the OP is that if she incorporates a serving or two of ice cream (or some other kind of treat) into her daily allowance then maybe she would not feel the urge to eat consume sugar all the time.

If you read the entire thread you will see that OP has gone from "sugar addict" to "craving sugar" to a "consistent urge to eat sugar" ...so for some reason she keeps moving the goal posts...

• ndj1979
    Options
    cmoorofum wrote: »
    I wish I could eliminate my sugar cravings. That is what causes the most fat in your stomach!

NO, over eating food causes fat in the stomach, not sugar.
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    I have cravings all the time.

Do I give in to them all the time? No.

I tell myself that if: a) I have enough calories left over, and b) I have most of my macro goals met or "close" to being met, then c) I can have whatever treat my remaining calories allow. that could be anything, whether it's 4 girl scout cookies or a serving of ice cream or a glass of wine.

Sometimes that requires me to really carefully plan what I eat. I got here (obese) by years of *mindless* eating - never giving a thought to anything, acting on impulse and cravings rather than using the brain I have....mindlessly munching away while I was reading, watching TV, surfing the web...mindlessly choosing pizza for supper instead of taking 5 extra minutes of planning and throwing a chicken breast & mushrooms in the oven instead...

And some days, I do say "***** it, I am going to have ____________, macros be darned." In the past I used to see that as a gateway to failure and I'd spiral downhill, saying "Oh today is ruined, forget about it, it's Friday, I'll start again on Monday..." then Monday comes and it's Monday night before I remember that I was going to get back "on track" so I say "This whole month is shot, I'm going to wait till the first of the month..." blah blah blah.

No - if I have a day that is "off kilter" I make myself get right back on the wagon immediately.

Cravings? I have them all the time. Right now I want to go get that box of thin mints from the freezer and eat them all. But I am choosing to stay the course today. I am not willing to "cheat" today - I have goals to meet that are way more important to me than giving in to a craving.

Cravings don't rule me. I know people don't like to hear about "will power" and "self control" but oh well....I can't help that. It's not something you just *have.* You have to develop it over time...and you have to have a deep sense of resolve to overcome. I've tried this weight loss thing several times over the past 15 years. I think I finally have the "want to" in my very soul that was missing before. It's more important to me to overcome this bad habit of overeating than it is for me to give in to a craving.