Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DeWoSa wrote: »

maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

Solution: Eat more added sugar foods!

I see that you are back after your previous sojourns to take my posts out of context...

My suggestion to the OP is that if she incorporates a serving or two of ice cream (or some other kind of treat) into her daily allowance then maybe she would not feel the urge to eat consume sugar all the time.

If you read the entire thread you will see that OP has gone from "sugar addict" to "craving sugar" to a "consistent urge to eat sugar" ...so for some reason she keeps moving the goal posts...

The reason I've changed what I've said is because you seem to be displeased with every way that I try to explain my situation to you.

I think you are confusing me with someone else...

Honestly, I do not care what you do ...but I am going to counter all this "sugar is addictive" or "sugar is poison" nonsense that keeps going around...

if you want to eliminate sugar 100% then good for you and go for it. Enjoy the self torture that, that causes...

I'm not wanting to cut sugar out of my diet completely, I don't think I said that in this. I'm just trying to figure out how to curb my sugar cravings in general. I'll expand a little bit; I usually stay within the range of calories given to me my MFP, but my sugar intake is often 30+ grams over the suggested amount. Even though I eat a lot of fruits (like a whole grapefruit every morning that has 16 grams) I'm trying to limit the amount of added sugar I eat, but I want to know the best way to go around that without driving myself crazy.

OK - then I would suggest that you allow yourself about 300 caloreis a day for some things that you enjoy eating like ice cream, cookies whatever and just make sure that they fit into your calorie/micro/macro target....

I average about 65 to 100 grams of sugar a day and have had no adverse health affects...my blood work at yearly physical is always near perfect...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,933 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    I became a vegetarian about a year and a half ago. My sugar cravings have all but disappeared. Don't get me wrong, I still love a cookie or cake or pie, but I don't crave it, unless I'm really stressed. Give it a try. Go meatless for a day or two and see how it works for you!!

so meat made you crave sugar?
    lol.......meat pies and meat cake, who would have thunk it.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

I see that you are back after your previous sojourns to take my posts out of context...

My suggestion to the OP is that if she incorporates a serving or two of ice cream (or some other kind of treat) into her daily allowance then maybe she would not feel the urge to eat consume sugar all the time.

If you read the entire thread you will see that OP has gone from "sugar addict" to "craving sugar" to a "consistent urge to eat sugar" ...so for some reason she keeps moving the goal posts...

The reason I've changed what I've said is because you seem to be displeased with every way that I try to explain my situation to you.

Honestly, I do not care what you do ...but I am going to counter all this "sugar is addictive" or "sugar is poison" nonsense that keeps going around...

if you want to eliminate sugar 100% then good for you and go for it. Enjoy the self torture that, that causes...

I'm not wanting to cut sugar out of my diet completely, I don't think I said that in this. I'm just trying to figure out how to curb my sugar cravings in general. I'll expand a little bit; I usually stay within the range of calories given to me my MFP, but my sugar intake is often 30+ grams over the suggested amount. Even though I eat a lot of fruits (like a whole grapefruit every morning that has 16 grams) I'm trying to limit the amount of added sugar I eat, but I want to know the best way to go around that without driving myself crazy.

The suggested amount for MFP is very low because it is supposed to reflect the recommendation for "added sugar", but there is no way to differentiate added sugar versus naturally occurring sugars. So, fruit should not count towards the recommendation they give you, but it does because that's how nutrition values are given.

I don't track sugar (I just aim to stay within my carb goal since sugar is a carb), and I started tracking fiber instead. Personally, I found this more helpful.

What kinds of foods do you eat to keep your fiber up?

Fruits and veggies mostly as well as some breads. I should incorporate more beans and lentils into my diet which are high in fiber. It's on the "todo list". But I can usually get to 20-25g with the foods that I currently eat. Feel free to look through my diary for ideas.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Here's my first proposal: it's always best to pay no attention to any nit-pickety bad-mannered "advice". You don't have to explain or justify yourself to anyone.

I love sweets, so I eat sweets daily, it's just that I make homemade desserts made with whole natural ingredients. For example, black bean brownies sweetened with dates, banana-chocolate ice cream (sweetened the by frozen ripe bananas). The black bean brownies are great because they are also high protein. These completely satisfy my sweet tooth and I feel good about eating them.

Yes it's not convenient because I have to make desserts from scratch, but it's worth it.

Enjoy fruit during the daytime too.

Add me as a friend if you'd like. :)

so any advice contrary to what OP wants is "nit picky" and "bad mannered"....I did not know that MFP was a self validation site for every single posters postings...
    To answer your question: nope.
  • HeidiHirtle
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Here's my first proposal: it's always best to pay no attention to any nit-pickety bad-mannered "advice". You don't have to explain or justify yourself to anyone.

I love sweets, so I eat sweets daily, it's just that I make homemade desserts made with whole natural ingredients. For example, black bean brownies sweetened with dates, banana-chocolate ice cream (sweetened the by frozen ripe bananas). The black bean brownies are great because they are also high protein. These completely satisfy my sweet tooth and I feel good about eating them.

Yes it's not convenient because I have to make desserts from scratch, but it's worth it.

My advice would be to actually read what the OP is struggling with and what her circumstances are before coming up with impractical solutions.
    Impractical to you maybe.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

My advice would be to actually read what the OP is struggling with and what her circumstances are before coming up with impractical solutions.

Impractical to most...

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options

Love this logic:

It's fine if you don't believe the research, and aren't interested in the investigation of sugar/food addiction, but you don't have a corner on the truth. It's definitely not nonsense.
  • HeidiHirtle
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Impractical to most...
    I wasn't aware that people who take 10 minutes to mix up some ingredients and bake it were in the minority. Interesting.
  • J72FIT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Impractical to most...
    I wasn't aware that people who take 10 minutes to mix up some ingredients and bake it were in the minority. Interesting.

Much more practical and useful to learn how to moderate instead of eliminate...

Nothing wrong with baking...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Love this logic:

It's fine if you don't believe the research, and aren't interested in the investigation of sugar/food addiction, but you don't have a corner on the truth. It's definitely not nonsense.

yea, I posted a study that countered what you posted...so you don't have a corner on the truth either..

• ndj1979
    Options

so any advice contrary to what OP wants is "nit picky" and "bad mannered"....I did not know that MFP was a self validation site for every single posters postings...

so then why say what you did? Or were you just being intentionally obtuse?
  • J72FIT
    Options

How does this response get flagged?

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You could find or make fruit juice popsicles.
  • HeidiHirtle
    Options

T'wern't me. Anyway, of course I wouldn't mean that any advice contrary to what the OP wants would be "bad mannered". I would sincerely hope that goes without saying. There's bad advice, and then there's bad mannered advice.
  • ndj1979
    Options

T'wern't me. Anyway, of course I wouldn't mean that any advice contrary to what the OP wants would be "bad mannered". I would sincerely hope that goes without saying. There's bad advice, and then there's bad mannered advice.

way to walk it back and try to have it both ways......
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Well that didn't format well but I think I made my point. LOL. Truvia=gross. LOL

You like Lady Gaga? Me toos.

• HeidiHirtle
    Options

way to walk it back and try to have it both ways......
    "Oh please", she said laughingly at his attempt.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to say that food has "addictive qualities," but that's not nearly the same thing as saying it's "addictive." Eating, sleeping, sexing, pursuing healthy/fun hobbies -- your body and mind want you to repeat these things, thus they activate your reward systems. And that's a good thing. An addiction to life is a wonderful mechanism.

I think the danger in going "all in" with the Food Is Addictive(R) gambit is that you give yourself permission to fail.

There was an episode of South Park where Stan's dad gets a DUI and is forced to go to meetings, where he "learns" that he has no control over his drinking. So, he takes that as a perfect reason to drink all day.

I have, at times, heard myself making the exact same rationalization. "I am going to eat six of these donuts because I cannot stop myself nom nom nom." Take a step back, and that just sounds absurd.

But I think it's entirely possibly to get so entrenched in the habit of permitting yourself to overindulge, over and over and over, that it sort of becomes moot whether there's an addiction going on. The "treatment" at that stage would probably need to, on some level, resemble a treatment for addiction, regardless of whether the addiction is "real" and demonstrated though peer review. Break the habit, then build the willpower to eat "normal."
  • J72FIT
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I think the danger in going "all in" with the Food Is Addictive(R) gambit is that you give yourself permission to fail.

I agree with this. There has to be a level of accountability...

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

I agree with this. There has to be a level of accountability...

I still don't understand how "addict" means no accountability. How are addicts not accountable for their own behavior?