How do you cut your craving for sugar??

Options

Replies

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I think it's ok to say that food has "addictive qualities," but that's not nearly the same thing as saying it's "addictive." Eating, sleeping, sexing, pursuing healthy/fun hobbies -- your body and mind want you to repeat these things, thus they activate your reward systems. And that's a good thing. An addiction to life is a wonderful mechanism.

I think the danger in going "all in" with the Food Is Addictive(R) gambit is that you give yourself permission to fail.

There was an episode of South Park where Stan's dad gets a DUI and is forced to go to meetings, where he "learns" that he has no control over his drinking. So, he takes that as a perfect reason to drink all day.

I have, at times, heard myself making the exact same rationalization. "I am going to eat six of these donuts because I cannot stop myself nom nom nom." Take a step back, and that just sounds absurd.

But I think it's entirely possibly to get so entrenched in the habit of permitting yourself to overindulge, over and over and over, that it sort of becomes moot whether there's an addiction going on. The "treatment" at that stage would probably need to, on some level, resemble a treatment for addiction, regardless of whether the addiction is "real" and demonstrated though peer review. Break the habit, then build the willpower to eat "normal."
    I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head :) +1 for South Park, too
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DeWoSa wrote: »

maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

Solution: Eat more added sugar foods!

I see that you are back after your previous sojourns to take my posts out of context...

My suggestion to the OP is that if she incorporates a serving or two of ice cream (or some other kind of treat) into her daily allowance then maybe she would not feel the urge to eat consume sugar all the time.

If you read the entire thread you will see that OP has gone from "sugar addict" to "craving sugar" to a "consistent urge to eat sugar" ...so for some reason she keeps moving the goal posts...

The reason I've changed what I've said is because you seem to be displeased with every way that I try to explain my situation to you.

I think you are confusing me with someone else...

Honestly, I do not care what you do ...but I am going to counter all this "sugar is addictive" or "sugar is poison" nonsense that keeps going around...

if you want to eliminate sugar 100% then good for you and go for it. Enjoy the self torture that, that causes...

It's fine if you don't believe the research, and aren't interested in the investigation of sugar/food addiction, but you don't have a corner on the truth. It's definitely not nonsense.

yea, I posted a study that countered what you posted...so you don't have a corner on the truth either..

In general, people cherry pick research to support their point of view. I definitely did this to make the point that Harvard University believes food addiction is important enough to write about, and that there is some very interesting research out there.

I definitely do not have a corner on the truth. There is much more to learn. Perhaps in 20-30 years there will be a sufficient amount of research to assess the validity of the food addiction model. Until then, making claims that there is no such thing seems to fly in the face of the lived experiences of many, many people, and even current research.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I think the danger in going "all in" with the Food Is Addictive(R) gambit is that you give yourself permission to fail.

I agree with this. There has to be a level of accountability...

I still don't understand how "addict" means no accountability. How are addicts not accountable for their own behavior?

You really don't understand what addiction is, do you?

I have several addicts in my family. Forced rehab, jail, etc. Some recovered, some not. All of them are accountable for their own behavior. They make their own choices. They admit that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    *unbookmarks*

tumblr_m6uxzsZEE61rqkbnx.gif

Same
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I still don't understand how "addict" means no accountability. How are addicts not accountable for their own behavior?

Well you see I don't believe food is addictive. I believe it is more like disordered eating and if that's the case, get professional help...

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited February 2015
    Options

Well you see I don't believe food is addictive. I believe it is more like disordered eating and if that's the case, get professional help...

Well, okay. But that still doesn't clear up why calling it an addiction would eliminate accountability.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Well, okay. But that still doesn't clear up why calling it an addiction would eliminate accountability.

Because once you call it an addiction, you remove the accountability...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

maybe if you stop restricting it and realize that you can have some ice cream or whatever, then you would not have the consistent urge to eat it….

in all honesty, you original post said you were addicted to sugar, then you walked that back to craving it, and I guess now we are version to 3.0 where you have a "consistent urge" to eat it…so I am curious to see where you go next.

Love this logic:

Problem: Eating added sugar foods make you crave more added sugar foods, which then leads you to overeat and gain weight.

Solution: Eat more added sugar foods!

I see that you are back after your previous sojourns to take my posts out of context...

My suggestion to the OP is that if she incorporates a serving or two of ice cream (or some other kind of treat) into her daily allowance then maybe she would not feel the urge to eat consume sugar all the time.

If you read the entire thread you will see that OP has gone from "sugar addict" to "craving sugar" to a "consistent urge to eat sugar" ...so for some reason she keeps moving the goal posts...

The reason I've changed what I've said is because you seem to be displeased with every way that I try to explain my situation to you.

I think you are confusing me with someone else...

Honestly, I do not care what you do ...but I am going to counter all this "sugar is addictive" or "sugar is poison" nonsense that keeps going around...

if you want to eliminate sugar 100% then good for you and go for it. Enjoy the self torture that, that causes...

It's fine if you don't believe the research, and aren't interested in the investigation of sugar/food addiction, but you don't have a corner on the truth. It's definitely not nonsense.

yea, I posted a study that countered what you posted...so you don't have a corner on the truth either..

In general, people cherry pick research to support their point of view. I definitely did this to make the point that Harvard University believes food addiction is important enough to write about, and that there is some very interesting research out there.

I definitely do not have a corner on the truth. There is much more to learn. Perhaps in 20-30 years there will be a sufficient amount of research to assess the validity of the food addiction model. Until then, making claims that there is no such thing seems to fly in the face of the lived experiences of many, many people, and even current research.

wait, so you tried to say that sugar is addictive and then you admit to cherry picking data to support your claim...???

I will give you credit for honesty ...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Why? What makes addicts not accountable? Do they not choose to smoke/drink/snort/shoot up/inject/...? Who is accountable, if not the addict themselves?
  • J72FIT
    Options

Why? What makes addicts not accountable? Do they not choose to smoke/drink/snort/shoot up/inject/...? Who is accountable, if not the addict themselves?

When an addict indulges in their addiction, they blame the addiction and take no accountability. The only time an addict takes accountability is when they seek professional help...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

When an addict indulges in their addiction, they blame the addiction and take no accountability. The only time an addict takes accountability is when they seek professional help...

Okay I get where you are coming from now. It's not that they aren't accountable, just that they don't admit it. Like a lot of overeaters.
  • Bellakitty97
    Options
    Hicama is one of my favorite snacks and it taste sweet I add some lime juice on it yummy
  • J72FIT
    edited February 2015
    Options

Okay I get where you are coming from now. It's not that they aren't accountable, just that they don't admit it. Like a lot of overeaters.

Exactly. If you really feel you are addicted to food, take accountability and seek professional help for disordered eating...
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Because addiction means: a chronic brain disease that causes compulsive substance use despite harmful consequences.

And compulsive means: irresistible urge, especially one that is against one's conscious wishes.

Based on those definitions, it certainly implies - beyond the first or second use (which, obviously, is a choice) - it's not a choice, doesn't it?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Exactly. If you really feel you are addicted to food, take accountability and seek professional help for disordered eating...

Agree.
  • lgramberg15
    lgramberg15 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    zachbonner wrote: »
    *unbookmarks*

tumblr_m6uxzsZEE61rqkbnx.gif

Same
    I wish I could unbookmark myself from my thread too
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Because addiction means: a chronic brain disease that causes compulsive substance use despite harmful consequences.

And compulsive means: irresistible urge, especially one that is against one's conscious wishes.

Based on those definitions, it certainly implies - beyond the first or second use (which, obviously, is a choice) - it's not a choice, doesn't it?

No. There may be some addicts that need force to quit, such as forced rehab (though until they are ready to take some self-control even that is unlikely to work). But for most, it's a matter of will power and self-control. They may need the help of AA or NA, or a nicotine patch or drug prescription. But ultimately, it's up to the addict. It's their choice whether to partake or not.

But some overeaters are unable to quit without help - WW meetings, MFP friends, drugs, surgery - as well. There are many parallels.
  • lgramberg15
    lgramberg15 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay obviously there is a big difference between addiction to drugs, and the physiological craving for sugar. I never meant to compare the two. From my own experience once I eat something sugary (like a mini piece of candy for example) I tend to crave more of it. You can call it addiction, you can call it overindulgence, whatever you like; the fact of the matter is that the craving is there. I do not intend to cut sugar from my diet. I am working on eating less things with added sugar. I already don't eat very many processed foods as it is, but I would like to cut those things from my diet. To bring this full circle, the whole reason I posted this thread was because I've hit a plateau with weight loss, and I thought it might be due to the amount of sugar I eat. Clearly I am doing something wrong, but fighting over whether or addiction to sugar is a real thing isn't going to change anything.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

No. There may be some addicts that need force to quit, such as forced rehab (though until they are ready to take some self-control even that is unlikely to work). But for most, it's a matter of will power and self-control. They may need the help of AA or NA, or a nicotine patch or drug prescription. But ultimately, it's up to the addict. It's their choice whether to partake or not.

But some overeaters are unable to quit without help - WW meetings, MFP friends, drugs, surgery - as well. There are many parallels.

I absolutely agree you have to make the choice to quit - I was just trying to illustrate that how we define addiction sort of lends itself to people thinking it's beyond their control, so there's no reason to try to quit - does that make sense?

I also agree that overeating can absolutely have roots in psychological issues that need to be addressed.

It's the casual use of the word addiction that bothers me - which is why I should just stay out of these conversations in the first place ;)