March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    3/11 3 miles
    I am a heel striker and today I decided to try out landing on my mid foot. I was able to make it the whole three miles landing on my mid foot but it is going to definitely take some getting used to. I went slow so that I could really concentrate on it but I can already tell that after I am used to it I should be able to pick my pace up a bit with less effort. Hopefully. I really love the Saucony Omni's that I run in but if I am going to be changing to a mid foot strike maybe I should start looking for some different shoes.

Johnsonnelley, the longest I have gone so far is 5.5 miles but what I do is preplan my route and then once I hit start on my watch, I cover it and run as easily as I can. I don't know why looking at my watch messes with my head so much.

exercise.png
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @dennie24‌ I've found that taking shorter steps helps with the landing. And if I try to remember what it was like to run as a kid, its easier. Fast(er) pace, for me, seems to put my foot in the right place. And I started adding some trail distance to mix it up. Hard to heel strike on uneven terrain.
    It is damn near impossible to be a heel striker in minimalist shoes.

On the topic of heel-strike and minimalist shoes: I've read that many of the runners who believe themselves to be midfoot runners are actually still heel-strikers. I have no idea if what I'm doing is actually a mid-foot strike, but I do pay attention in the company of other runners, and I take pride that in comparison, I'm not all stompy and heavy-sounding on each foot-strike. Not that it has kept me injury-free, either, so maybe I'm one of those minimalist shoe heel strikers? I've also read that injuries are equally common with either type of shoe and with either type of strike. It's discouraging to not have a clue what sorts of steps will actually lead to injury prevention.

• cooter_mom
    cooter_mom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    01/03- rest sick
    02/03- rest still sick
    03/03- 3.6 miles TM
    04/03- 3.74 miles TM
    05/03- 3.84 miles TM
    06/03- 4.08 miles TM
    07/03- 1.4 miles OUTSIDE 3.7 TM
    08/03- rest day
    09/03- 1.5 miles TM
    10/03- 4.25 miles outside on a trail
    11/03- 2.7 miles trail

The trail I found today was only 2.7 miles. But very challenging for me. All up hill to the end, and then down hill back to my car, with some pretty intense up and down hills along the way. And I seemed to be always running into the wind! Damn prairies, can't get away from that wind out there! Also have some pretty stiff legs and buns today, clearly the uneven terrain is working some muscles my treadmill did not! Going to walk to school again to get the munchkin, then off to Costco for some food stuffs.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    3/11 3 miles
    I am a heel striker and today I decided to try out landing on my mid foot. I was able to make it the whole three miles landing on my mid foot but it is going to definitely take some getting used to. I went slow so that I could really concentrate on it but I can already tell that after I am used to it I should be able to pick my pace up a bit with less effort. Hopefully. I really love the Saucony Omni's that I run in but if I am going to be changing to a mid foot strike maybe I should start looking for some different shoes.

Johnsonnelley, the longest I have gone so far is 5.5 miles but what I do is preplan my route and then once I hit start on my watch, I cover it and run as easily as I can. I don't know why looking at my watch messes with my head so much.

exercise.png
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @dennie24‌ I've found that taking shorter steps helps with the landing. And if I try to remember what it was like to run as a kid, its easier. Fast(er) pace, for me, seems to put my foot in the right place. And I started adding some trail distance to mix it up. Hard to heel strike on uneven terrain.

On the topic of heel-strike and minimalist shoes: I've read that many of the runners who believe themselves to be midfoot runners are actually still heel-strikers. I have no idea if what I'm doing is actually a mid-foot strike, but I do pay attention in the company of other runners, and I take pride that in comparison, I'm not all stompy and heavy-sounding on each foot-strike. Not that it has kept me injury-free, either, so maybe I'm one of those minimalist shoe heel strikers? I've also read that injuries are equally common with either type of shoe and with either type of strike. It's discouraging to not have a clue what sorts of steps will actually lead to injury prevention.

Agreed. Sometimes I think I have one foot is a minimal runner and the other, well idk, Frankensteins. Really finding what works best is just trial and error.

I half run with a guy (we often share a 2 mile segment and company) and he just shuffles along er a long 8+ miles. But if I catch the army guys they run kinda like I do or the CC group now they have nice form. Id like to look like the CC runners. Not sure if that'd make me faster? But trying to emulate them seems to better for my hamstrings and calf strain. And I find strength in the push off easier.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options

^^^^ This is what I was going to say!
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270‌ - what is a CC runner?
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Cross-country
  • shanaber
    Options
    :) thanks! don't know why that didn't occur to me but the only CC runners I see are 14-16 year olds...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cooter_mom wrote: »
    01/03- rest sick

11/03- 2.7 miles trail

The trail I found today was only 2.7 miles. But very challenging for me. All up hill to the end, and then down hill back to my car, with some pretty intense up and down hills along the way. And I seemed to be always running into the wind! Damn prairies, can't get away from that wind out there! Also have some pretty stiff legs and buns today, clearly the uneven terrain is working some muscles my treadmill did not! Going to walk to school again to get the munchkin, then off to Costco for some food stuffs.

exercise.png

@cooter_mom Just look at you Miss Outdoor runner!!! :star:

@shanaber you probably see more than you think, CC (or XC as the kids here call it) is big at our local college too so when I see some 18 - 20 year olds out there I recognize some of them from the college XC team.

@codemonkey78 thanks! I love that he wasn't the type of PT to be like okay you need to come 3 days a week for 6 months. Stop the pain, get me doing what I need to do and send me out into the world like a big girl.

@Elise4270 He really is great, he was highly recommended by the local running community. My cousin is a PT in New Jersey and we talk about him and she was like Kathie that guy has it going on, you found a great PT. He listened to everything I said and worked on things that I didn't even know bothered me LOL
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    @cooter_mom... I am just loving every bit of this! Seeing your excitement and willingness to push past your comfort zone is a reason why I love running so much and love hanging out with other runners.... your posts make me smile and get me all itchy for my next run...
  • kruuTahn
    kruuTahn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Halfway there!

3/2 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (office gym)
    3/4 - 4 miles, treadmill (office gym)
    3/6 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (apartment gym)
    3/7 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (apartment gym)
    3/9 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (office gym)
    3/11 - 4 miles, treadmill (office gym)

exercise.png
  • timetolosewt
    timetolosewt Posts: 6 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    :) thanks! don't know why that didn't occur to me but the only CC runners I see are 14-16 year olds...
    IDK why, but here we use XC for cross country. And for Lacrosse it is LAX, which is quite popular in FL.

Wow, so many posts the last couple days! I can't catch up with everything... but...

@briebee7 -- I hope you are okay. Sounds painful. I pretty much always run in the dark and one of the rare days when I ran in the daylight, I almost fell! I caught myself before I did but it was one of those ugly trips where you take some giant steps and then catch yourself. And, it was very close to my house, and some neighbors were outside talking. :blush:

@cooter_mom - so excited for you!!! It will just keep getting better -- and I love those pictures from the other day.

@shanaber - massages sounds like a good thing to add to my list for next week. :wink:

• fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom‌ Cleared for all the running fun- 3 cheers for you!
    @cooter_mom your excitement is contagious- Love to see this!

@johnsonnelly Relax. You're overthinking this, and that's making it harder than it really is. Next time you go out don't think about running.
    Ignore your pace, ignore your breathing, ignore your stride and footstrike; just step out the door and run for the joy that is running.
    Think about anything but the run. Imagine your dream home remodel, the perfect day with the man of your dreams, or all the things you'd tell that fool you work for if it wouldn't get you fired. Whatever you think about imagine all the details. What color will the walls be? How will it feel to run the roller through the paint? Or better watch the half naked young strong handyman's muscles ripple as he paints the walls and whatever happens from there.
    Think your imagination's not that lively anymore? Run with a friend and talk the whole time about anything and everything but running. If you can't talk you're running too fast, so giggle the miles away.
    However you do it, distract yourself from thinking about running. If you can relax & let your body do what it already knows how to do you'll be able to run forever. Okay, maybe not forever but you'll run 6 miles; I'm sure of it! You can do this! I believe in you.

__Date___ Miles
    Mar 1 ___ 3.5am 7°F + 6.1pm 26°F + strength training
    Mar 2 ___ 5.7 with friends + 3.6 alone
    Mar 3 ___ 1.4 streak + strength training
    Mar 4 ___ 5.1 with friend + 3.5 alone
    Mar 5 ___ 2.3 + strength training
    Mar 6 ___ 8.8am alone + 4.6pm w/friend
    Mar 7 ___ 3.1
    Mar 8 ___ 12.5 cloudy, then snowy, then sunny all in the same run
    Mar 9 ___ 6.0 w/friends (& another 1.4 with my youngest not included in total.)
    Mar 10 __ 3.1+ strength training
    Mar 11 __ 5.8 + Yoga

Month total= 75.0 running miles __90.0 remaining

exercise.png

Current Streak: 199days = 1250.2miles

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Biked and swam today. I feel like traitor.... Each person I passed pounding the pavement just made me feel like I was taking the easy way out... I wanted to yell "I'm cross training, quit judging!" Lol!

Tomorrow i need to rest, but betcha I friggin' run. What has this community done to (for ;) )me!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    3/1 - 6.5 miles
    3/2 - 3.9 miles - miserable windy 20 mph with gusts, I hate wind even when it's 100 out LOL
    3/3 - rest day
    3/4 - 6.1 miles a beautiful 64F at 5:30 am when I ran - ran in a tank top. I love Alabama, tonight it will be 25F with a winter storm watch
    3/5 - ice day
    3/6 - ice day
    3/7 - 8.4 miles
    3/8 - lazy day
    3/9 - 3.5 miles
    3/10 - 6.5 miles
    3/11 - 4.4 miles - yes yes yes it's been a bit since I was a sub 10:30 pace...10:27 but hey it's sub 10:30 :smiley: I felt great today! Wish I'd paid better attention to the time, it got way dark and I had to head home. Didn't have my lights with me.

39.3 out of 70 miles

exercise.png
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @forest91 way to go!
    @shanaber whereabouts are you? We've had a couple really warm days here this week, too.

@briebee7 I saw your post about food the day before a longer race. What kinds of foods in particular do you eat? I am trying to figure out my plan for my half marathon in June. I have had some stomach issues while running, which I guess is pretty normal. If I eat too much, not enough, the wrong thing, I get horrible nausea and stomachaches for the whole day. Hope you're recovering okay!

3/2 = 4.56 miles
    3/3 = 2.26 miles
    3/4 = 3.52 miles
    3/5 = rest
    3/6 = 4.51 miles
    3/7 = rest
    3/8 = 8 miles
    3/9 = rest
    3/10 = 5 miles
    3/11 = 3 miles

TOTAL = 30.85/85

exercise.png

• HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Congrats!! You are well on your way to being fully recovered!! So happy for you!!

3/1, 2.2 miles, snowshoe (not counting as running miles)
    3/2, 5.0 miles, treadmill (C'mon spring, I want off this treadmill!)
    3/3, 6.0 miles, outside!!! It was cold, wet and icy but worth it! ;)
    3/4, rest, was able to get a walk at lunch in the 40 degree sunshine!
    3/5, 4.34 miles, treadmill
    3/6, 4.34 miles, treadmill
    3/7, unplanned rest day, life...
    3/8, planned rest day
    3/9, 4.34 miles, treadmill & Zumba at lunch
    3/10, planned rest, hosting book club! But I got a quick walk in at lunch!
    3/11, 5.2 miles, OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't call it spring weather quite yet but I will call running outside in the sun GLORIOUS!!! And I was admiring my late in the day shadow!! Oh, and obviously not all relevant to the challenge but such a bright spot in my work day - Zumba at lunch!!

30.67 miles total; 100 miles goal
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    3/1--Rest day
    3/2--3.32 miles(treadmill)
    3/3--Strength Training
    3/4--3.34 miles(treadmill)
    3/5--Strength Training
    3/6--rest day
    3/7--rest day
    3/8--rest day
    3/9--3.27 miles
    3/10-strength training
    3/11-3.3 miles(treadmill)

exercise.png

This thread is jumping. I have so much reading to do. I've modified my strength training days and my left knee is thanking me for it. Running is my therapy. I'm miserable when I have to take extra work days.
  • zombiebrandy0112
    zombiebrandy0112 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    @SonicDeathMonkey80‌ & @skippygirlsmom‌
    Thank you both so much. I will try to incorporate both into my stretching routines and drop the challenge routine for now and do strong lifts instead. At least there is no jumping around (which I think is the problem). I ran 4 miles today with no problems.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm going to increase my goal - I undershot. This was my first month of actually sticking with this, and I just wasn't sure ... anyway, I definitely want to feel challenged by this challenge. :) I'm enjoying the camaraderie and listening in to others' experiences. Thanks.

exercise.png