March 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber‌ yes the little Meb won easily. And next appointment is April 14. But I'll prob weasel on it, hate the idea of surgery. I'm either stubborn or smart, haven't figured that out yet. The idea of no running for a good while. Or maybe ever.
    Maybe you need to see @skippygirlsmom‌'s physical therapist! Back surgery would scare the sh!# out of me and I would pretty much do anything to avoid it too.

Yes I do! One I saw here and she just put me on a heating pad twice a week... *sigh*.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    @shanaber‌ yes the little Meb won easily. And next appointment is April 14. But I'll prob weasel on it, hate the idea of surgery. I'm either stubborn or smart, haven't figured that out yet. The idea of no running for a good while. Or maybe ever.
    Maybe you need to see @skippygirlsmom‌'s physical therapist! Back surgery would scare the sh!# out of me and I would pretty much do anything to avoid it too.

@Elise4270‌ -- do you know what kind of back surgery they are proposing? If it's more than a disc trim, I will tell you that the recovery REALLY sucks. I've had my back rebuilt three times from L4 to S1(in the tailbone) with a disc repair at L3.

Needless to say, the first two really sucked and the third only partially sucked.
  • Elise4270
    Options

@Elise4270‌ -- do you know what kind of back surgery they are proposing? If it's more than a disc trim, I will tell you that the recovery REALLY sucks. I've had my back rebuilt three times from L4 to S1(in the tailbone) with a disc repair at L3.

Needless to say, the first two really sucked and the third only partially sucked.

Minimally invasive fusion of l5-s1, possibly l4-l5 also.
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

@Elise4270‌: if you have surgery, I hope it works well for you. My surgeries were not minimally invasive (it was not an option), so I cannot speak from experience on that procedure. But with both open and minimally invasive, you back muscles will still have to heal and you will have pain where the screws and rods are installed for a little while.

Do you get any relief from spinal epidurals?

I ask is because I've had to have epidurals for several years -- even after all three surgeries. The major difference post-op is that my back is mechanically correct/fixed and the pain level has lowered quite a bit. But, I still need 4 spinal epidurals per year to be able to get out of bed.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    3/1--Rest day
    3/2--3.32 miles(treadmill)
    3/3--Strength Training
    3/4--3.34 miles(treadmill)
    3/5--Strength Training
    3/6--rest day
    3/7--rest day
    3/8--rest day
    3/9--3.27 miles
    3/10-strength training
    3/11-3.3 miles(treadmill)
    3/12-strength training
    3/13-3.28(treadmill)
    3/14-3.38(week 16 completed)
    3/15-rest
    3/16-3.12(Outside w/ the Zombies)
    3/17-Strength Training
    3/18-3.16(Outside w/ my Zombie peeps making me drop my supplies because I refuse to start off too fast)

Finally, over half way to my goal.

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Options

@Elise4270‌: if you have surgery, I hope it works well for you. My surgeries were not minimally invasive (it was not an option), so I cannot speak from experience on that procedure. But with both open and minimally invasive, you back muscles will still have to heal and you will have pain where the screws and rods are installed for a little while.

I ask is because I've had to have epidurals for several years -- even after all three surgeries. The major difference post-op is that my back is mechanically correct/fixed and the pain level has lowered quite a bit. But, I still need 4 spinal epidurals per year to be able to get out of bed.

I did one round of the ESI's 2 years ago and it helped. I think my doc was tired of me coming in every few months and reffered me to pain management and I refused to go. I just felt that they were only going to offer narcotics, which isn't something I want/can to do. I cant come to work on them, my kids will steal them and my husband is a recovering addict - so I catch shlt from him if I need to take them. So, of course now I'm trying to get into pain management and no one is in a hurry to set that up...

I'm encouraged to know that even after several surgeries that you've managed to continue to run and manage much of your pain. I really am just at a loss as to how to manage my condition. Ya know, no one will tell me what I want to hear... ;)

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I had a unexpected revelation during my intervals today. Pushed up my last 400 to 8.1 (fast for me) and I thought ... part of my 2015 objective of limiting my races to 5K only is to remember what it feels like to RACE the race again. With the organized training for the half, I sort of work up to just past the mileage required, taper and run the race, hoping to "finish strong." I found a real joy in racing (as opposed to running) ... I remember that and need to experience it again. Does that make sense? I'm pretty excited about this - and have discovered a new motivation for my training. xoxo

exercise.png

Nods.
    It's one of the reasons I don't particularly like signing up/paying/running 5K's- I usually do it with friends- and it's so shortI can run a respectable time without training- I can even push myself without training- so I need a longer distance to really challenge myself and feel like I'm ACTUALLY racing. I don't want to go run a 5k or a 10K- I can do that for free by myself (unless I'm doing it with a group as a fund raiser- or funsies) but if I'm doing it for me- just going to run it is different than running to race.

nod nod nod.
    (look like a bobble head in my cubicle)
  • CodeMonkey78
    Options

I did one round of the ESI's 2 years ago and it helped. I think my doc was tired of me coming in every few months and reffered me to pain management and I refused to go. I just felt that they were only going to offer narcotics, which isn't something I want/can to do. I cant come to work on them, my kids will steal them and my husband is a recovering addict - so I catch shlt from him if I need to take them. So, of course now I'm trying to get into pain management and no one is in a hurry to set that up...

I'm encouraged to know that even after several surgeries that you've managed to continue to run and manage much of your pain. I really am just at a loss as to how to manage my condition. Ya know, no one will tell me what I want to hear... ;)

Can't your ortho set up the ESI for you? Mine does. There are 3 doctors in the practice I go to who specialize in those types of procedures.

Same here -- I cannot report to work if I have to take narcotics. If you're worried about them being stolen, I would highly recommend storing them in a safe/lockbox.

I'm not going to lie to you: it sucks every day and takes a LOT of work. It's taken 10 years, 3 surgeries, and a lot of rehab just to be able to run again. I just have to make sure that the willpower to run outweighs the pain level screaming at me to NOT do it. :neutral_face:
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I had a unexpected revelation during my intervals today. Pushed up my last 400 to 8.1 (fast for me) and I thought ... part of my 2015 objective of limiting my races to 5K only is to remember what it feels like to RACE the race again. With the organized training for the half, I sort of work up to just past the mileage required, taper and run the race, hoping to "finish strong." I found a real joy in racing (as opposed to running) ... I remember that and need to experience it again. Does that make sense? I'm pretty excited about this - and have discovered a new motivation for my training. xoxo

exercise.png

Nods.
    nod nod nod.
    (look like a bobble head in my cubicle)

lol ... I'm flattered by all the nods. ;)
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    A nice easy 6.6 miles along the costal path this evening, met my hubby at the end of my run and had fish and chips on the beach while watching the sun go down over a very calm sea.

64.3 miles run......5.7 miles to do.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

Can't your ortho set up the ESI for you? Mine does. There are 3 doctors in the practice I go to who specialize in those types of procedures.

Same here -- I cannot report to work if I have to take narcotics. If you're worried about them being stolen, I would highly recommend storing them in a safe/lockbox.

I'm not going to lie to you: it sucks every day and takes a LOT of work. It's taken 10 years, 3 surgeries, and a lot of rehab just to be able to run again. I just have to make sure that the willpower to run outweighs the pain level screaming at me to NOT do it. :neutral_face:

I don't know how you both do it. Kudos for getting out there in so much pain. I know all surgeries are different, but I talked to someone who had the same lower back problem as I do and he said he really researched the surgery aspect and was surprised to learn 3 years down the road he would be no different than without the surgery. I don't think I know a single person who has had one back surgery or one shot. There has to be a better way to fix the back.
  • Elise4270
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @CodeMonkey78‌

I see a neurosurgeon 2+ hours away. Makes it difficult to set ESI's up. I saw one Ortho, he wasnt any help and 2 hours the other direction. We are small town-ish and have horrible medical care here. The local hospital is known as "murderin' Mercy".

I did the lock box for narcotics and it was stolen. :'(

That's why I've just toughed it out, no real options/help here. I'm off to get in a a " run" now..
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    March 2nd-5.9k
    March 4th-4.24k
    March 9th-6.06k
    March 11th-6.43k
    March 12th-7.05k
    March 13th-4.78k
    March 16th- 7.14k
    March 17th- 4.28
    Total: 45.88/80
  • kruuTahn
    kruuTahn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    3/2 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (office gym)
    3/4 - 4 miles, treadmill (office gym)
    3/6 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (apartment gym)
    3/7 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (apartment gym)
    3/9 - 3.1 miles, treadmill (office gym)
    3/11 - 4 miles, treadmill (office gym)
    3/14 - 5 miles, outside (Capital Crescent Trail)
    3/18 - 4 miles, treadmill (office gym)

exercise.png
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options

1--- 6mi
    2--- REST DAY
    3--- 8mi
    4--- 7mi
    5--- 10mi
    6--- 7.25mi
    7--- 18.05mi
    8--- 6mi --- (Weekly total: 56.30 miles)
    9--- REST DAY
    10--- 10mi
    11--- 8mi
    12--- 8mi
    13--- 7mi
    14--- 20mi
    15--- 7mi --- (Weekly total: 60.0 miles)
    16--- REST DAY
    17--- 8mi
    18--- 7 mi

Done: 137.30/200mi goal
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options

I don't know how you both do it. Kudos for getting out there in so much pain. I know all surgeries are different, but I talked to someone who had the same lower back problem as I do and he said he really researched the surgery aspect and was surprised to learn 3 years down the road he would be no different than without the surgery. I don't think I know a single person who has had one back surgery or one shot. There has to be a better way to fix the back.

I agree with this^ not only do I not know any one who has only had one back surgery, everyone I know who has had it continues to have pain... maybe it is lessened but still an issue.
    @Elise4270‌ - is there a running group (in either direction) that you could contact for a PT recommendation to get someone who knows and treats runners? I am thinking maybe they could show you what you need to do to limit the amount of driving and time involved to get back and forth.
  • Elise4270
    Options

I came across the same information on the 3-5 years down the road.

@shanaber that's a good idea. I will look into that. Oddly my physical therapist was a runner. I am better for her intervention, even though I want 99%... I'm must be extrodinarly stubborn.

I appreciate everyone's help. Some days I get extra neurotic over the back issue. So my apologies for crying today..

Good quick 2.6 run...

exercise.png
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    3/2 = 4.56 miles
    3/3 = 2.26 miles
    3/4 = 3.52 miles
    3/5 = rest
    3/6 = 4.51 miles
    3/7 = rest
    3/8 = 8 miles
    3/9 = rest
    3/10 = 5.02 miles
    3/11 = 3 miles
    3/12 = 4.59 miles
    3/13 = rest
    3/14 = rest
    3/15 = 6.41 miles
    3/16 = 2.03 miles
    3/17 = 5.0 miles
    3/18 = 3.58 miles

Total = 52.48

My legs were SO tired by the end of my shorter run this evening. Think I'm ready for a rest day tomorrow! Planning to do 9 miles on Saturday (longest run yet). Getting closer...

exercise.png

• VintageMatch
    VintageMatch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    03/02 - 2 miles
    03/04 - 2.5 miles
    03/06- 3.1 miles
    03/09 - 2.5 miles
    03/10- rest
    03/11- 2.5 miles
    03/12- rest day (backyard clean up- 'tis the season, and agility practice)
    03/13- 3 miles... Graduated C25K today!!! At the start of the year I could barely run 90 seconds, now I'm running 30 min straight.
    03/16- 2.5 miles
    03/17- rest day with some more dog training.
    03/18- 2.5 miles

Total 20.5 miles......Goal 26 miles
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    03/02 - 2 miles
    03/04 - 2.5 miles
    03/06- 3.1 miles
    03/09 - 2.5 miles
    03/10- rest
    03/11- 2.5 miles
    03/12- rest day (backyard clean up- 'tis the season, and agility practice)
    03/13- 3 miles... Graduated C25K today!!! At the start of the year I could barely run 90 seconds, now I'm running 30 min straight.
    03/16- 2.5 miles
    03/17- rest day with some more dog training.
    03/18- 2.5 miles

Total 20.5 miles......Goal 26 miles

Not sure if others have commented on this, but your improvement (dedication/determination) is impressive. Well done!