WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - we were told that if you don't have a bath tub in your bathroom it's only considered a 3/4 bath when you go to sell. But that might be only here in Minnesota.

Cindy in S D - there are a lot of people that have been here for a long time. I feel that I get a lot of support from the ladies on this thread. You do need to check in often or you will have to play catch up! We are so chatty :) Also the closed you get to goal the smaller you are the less calories you need and the less weight you lose. I hope you check in often!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday and my Rest and Re-feed day. Stan is cooking Sunday Brunch = 422 cals.
    I want to drive to Ulverstone and walk the River Walk where we used to walk Mildred beagle. I NEED to do this and remember the times with LOVE not sadness. Not been there since she passed away.
    Will do a 2 mile walk whilst lamb rack and rice pudding cooking.
    I have to be strong and remember her with much love.
    Will finish logging food and exercise when i get back
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here are my three goofballs.jxdjwggtgxgr.jpg

Left to right, Bruno, Molly and Spot.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    been a busy busy day... it is still blessed snowing here in Connecticut, when is it ever going to stop!!!
    started off early this morning with a load or 2 of laundry, then went to see DFIL he has been wonderful about eating...so got him fed, and off to lowes we went, took the sink and drain back and looked at cabinet and solid surface countertops..
    came home and the DH worked on the bathroom backsplash and has that all set.. he took a shower and off we went again..this time to home depot, we bought a mini pendant light there a few weeks ago that was on clearance that they had hanging there, well when I opened the box with the new one in it, the clearance one didnt come with a mounting bracket.. soooo I went in there and they will see if what they can do to rectify the situation..
    DH went up to Verizon to get a new phone, and they gave home otter box, wireless charger etc.. free, well I weaseled a new phone too so we both have the same kind, different cases, and they threw in a 7 inch tablet for 21.00 , we just had to pay the Ct. taxes on the phones.. DH says I am a spoiled B, well I dont think so.. I do alot fo work around here and cook, and laundry and errands and ordering .. so what the heck I think I deserve it... then we went to 99 restaurant that is a favorite of ours, and we both had chicken parmesan, but only ate 1/2, just sitting and having a cup of tea now
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. He gets a new phone and that's fine. You get a new phone and you're a spoiled B?!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Page 43- I love the weekends when there are not as many posts… I can catch up (I hope!) opps looked at the time… read just one page…

Sylvia – I think kids parties with a smaller number of kids is best, they actually enjoy each other! Glad it went well.

Michele – I remember looking for the small party rye a few years ago with no success ended up cutting (with a cookie cutter) the size I wanted from regular rye bread… pain in the butt.

Sharon – thinking of you, we learn from every experience, the good bad and ugly, so don’t feel like you have wasted the time – but that you took your time learning about relationships and your needs… you’ll go forward stronger.

Naiomi – hope your meeting went well (it is long over by the time I am reading this) and that it went well, saving some calories is a good idea.

Margaret – Chichuly glass is amazing! I have seen a few exhibits of it, and it’s beautiful, the pictures you posted reminded me of his items.

Heather - Glad you are taking care of the medical things…. Not fun, but important.

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: NSV = Non Scale Victory, and includes all sorts of things that we do because we have to do them. Tax preparation would be a huge one. They can also be any accomplishment that you’re happy about. Mine were usually smaller clothes sizes when I was losing. Now they’re often physical accomplishments I didn’t think I could do.

Sylvia: Your DH is a prize. I am happy for you and your son that he is the sort of man who understands the important things.

Cindy: Earlier today I read a comment to the effect that we don’t need “friends.” This board does the job quite well. The people who I friended early on dropped out rather quickly and this board has been my mainstay. That said, I do have a few MFP friends that I am delighted to stay in touch with. One or two of them occasionally post here.

Alison: I don’t know why your DH is a constant criticizer. I found an article on the net that suggested that people criticize others do it in order to feel worthy and successful. My mother was one of those people who made critical comments all of the time. She had very low self-esteem and was raised by an abusive parent. I don’t think her criticism ever made her feel a bit better and I know it wasn’t good for me. I know she loved me, and I think she was doing the best she could. Maybe your DH is doing the best he can. I know for sure that he is lucky to have you.

I did some gardening today! I planted snow peas. My next item will be getting a tomato plant, but it may still be a little early for that. Aside from peas, a tomato, and a fall green bean crop, I have herbs in pots. I could sign up for a plot in the community garden, but I’m not motivated enough to do it. I’m happy with my tiny amount of puttering.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Chiming in on Sylvia's shower question. I love my soaker tub, but as long as there is one somewhere in the house, I would personally rather have a bigger closet and just a shower. Especially if it is a shower big enough to shave your legs in. Our master bath has a garden tub with separate shower and our shower is tiny. I love it for grabbing a quick shower, but always use the tub when shaving. I think Mary is correct, though, in saying it is only considered 3/4 with shower only. I noticed on HGTV that they refer to the bathrooms as pieces: a 2-piece is toilet and vanity, a toilet, vanity and shower would be 3-piece, etc.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Pip, don’t you love under growing your clothes!!!

Katla, the horse show sounds like fun. Do you have a friend that might go with you?

Heather, I have also been known to “waggle my legs around to keep moving". See, we aren’t that different after all. Good for you on checking out the website. I’m proud of you and now you are one step closer. (*)

Peachstategal, hope you feel better soon. Allergies are giving me fits, for sure.

Naoimi, great that you stayed under calories while stressing. Maybe it’s because you were also stressing about what you were eating? Hang in there, you can do this. And yes, find a new entertainment that you and DH can do together. :s

Pip, NSV=non scale victory. I had to ask a couple of months ago.

Sylvia, when we built our house we had the option of a tub and separate shower or a larger shower and a linen closet. I opted for the large shower and linen closet. I love having a real closet in the master bath and so few people take time for a bath. As long as there is a bath tub elsewhere in the house, I don’t think it hurts resale. That’s great that your hubby is willing to help DS with the deposit. I’m surprised he has to pay another deposit if it’s in the same complex. Love the joke!!! :p You get such good ones. Thanks.

Cindy, the weight loss does slow down for many of us. The trick to this is to begin with a Lifelong commitment and to Never, Ever, Never Give Up. If I had kept losing at the pace of my first 2 ½ months, I’d be at my goal weight soon. As it is, I have a long way to go, but no matter how slow, I know I will get there. And when I do, I plan to keep logging and watching what I eat so I will stay there. You hang in there, you are worth it.

Allison, good buy on the phones. Wow, only the tax. And of course you deserve it!! Way to go.

I don’t disagree with you ladies that say a bathroom with only a shower is called a ¾ bath. But think about it, if you bath has a separate tub and shower, why don’t they call it a 1 ¼ bath? Just saying. If I had not opted for the shower only, not only would I have given up the linen closet, but the shower would have been tiny. The one I got takes the place where the tub would have gone and it has a seat on each end, so wonderful for shaving legs. 
    I went shopping again today because my favorite store was having a big sale. I really wanted to hold off on buying more clothes until I lost a little more weight, but the cruise has changed that. My old clothes are getting really big and sloppy with very few things that were too tight that I can still wear. I did get a really cute pair of crop pants that will go with lots of things and a shell and matching zipper top with long sleeves. It might be nice for the cruise if we get some cooler weather. At least this is just a 5 day cruise so I won’t need as much as the one in February next year. I got all my exercise done today but it was amazing how difficult it was after missing a day. I had to make myself do it all. Whew Between exercise and shopping, I'm one tired puppy. I may go to bed early tonight.

Have a healthy and happy night and day, ladies. <3

Quote for the day:

It always seems
    Impossible
    Until it is
    Done.
    Nelson Mandela

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi friends-

I had internet issues yesterday and got 141 posts behind. I'm caught up through pg 45. Will finish reading about you all tomorrow.

I had a fun time on Thurs. at a surprise baby shower luncheon for a girl I used to teach with. She is having a girl and it was so much fun to see all the cute things she received. I think we caused a commotion with all the "ooohs and awes" as she opened the gifts.

We have a big staff meeting at the Y on Monday. I hope we are not going to be told we are closing. I need a pool for my workouts and it will mean a lot of driving to get to another Y. We have a small Y in a church within walking distance from our home but it doesn't have a pool. I guess I shouldn't be pessimistic but we hear this rumor every so often because our facility is small, old, and doesn't bring in much money because we have a lot of low income members.

Have a great night
    TNToni
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

smiley-happy110.gif I am so grateful for all of you who respond to everyone....some days all I can do is read the posts and enjoy every word....I think of responses but can't do the necessary composing to respond.

:D I have been watching the World Figure Skating Championships on TV (Canadian TV has more than the US networks) and riding my exercise bike while I watch. I took a long walk with a friend this morning in beautiful weather....that, along with several walks with the dogs have counted up to 26,000 steps.

smiley-cool05.gif This story will tell you how obsessed I am with my pedometer.....this morning after I'd been walking Sasha for about 10 minutes, I took the pedometer out of my pocket to see what time it was.....the battery was dead, so I immediately took Sasha back into the house and replaced the battery while she watched me in amazement...if my pedometer isn't counting my steps, I don't feel like I'm walking. smiley-laughing001.gif

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    98cvd8ypz412.jpg

This is me---determined to get back to weight training tomorrow morning
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Heather: The rhubarb vodka sounds fantastic. Thank you for the recipe. Can hardly wait to try it. I think finishing writing the book is a tremendous feat on its own. If you never push the final steps to self-publish, know that I am in awe of what you’ve accomplished.

Katla: Glad you’re getting better. Add me to the legions who had a mad crush on Pierce Brosnan/Reminington Steele. Sadly, I never met him during my days in Hollywood.

Janet: You have sparked my interest in cruising.

Sylvia: Your DH is a gem. Adding my fervent prayers that DS gets the apartment.

Cindy in SoMD: Hang in here with us. You won’t find a more supportive cheering section. I travel about 2 weeks of every month, but make a priority to get back here when I’m home.

I used to belong to an organization called “Women in Show Business” which was comprised of the personal assistants to performers, stars and other entertainment industry luminaries. My friends in that group worked for the likes of Frank Sinatra, Johnny Carson, and Carol Burnett. We met monthly and did an annual fundraiser for children born with facial deformities. You want to hear some great insider stories? These gals were a trove of juicy stories and insider dirt. However, times have changed. The group has dissolved and the paparazzi now makes a living out of exposing every little bit of celebrity gossip. Nothing is shocking anymore.

I had to cut my workout short today due to pain from Morton’s neuroma. This ailment has been coming and going for about 6 months now, and I manage the pain through meditation and visualization. But this morning it just got the better of me. My back isn’t feeling so great either. Must be overdue for chiropractor and massage therapy.

My alma mater UCLA is out of the NCAA basketball tournament. Think I’ll join Barbie and watch figure skating.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm watching the same show Barbie. Skating is so beautiful and graceful. And the men are so powerfull

I was so much in love with Remington Steele. But as he has aged, he has really lost appeal. I know we all age, I sure have but I'm just not as infatuated. Oh gosh, I said Remington Steel. I meant Pierce Brosnan. It was his character as Remington Steelle I loved. Ididn't like him as James Bond.

Sharon, I am so glad your husband went with you to counseling. Individual counseling may be a bit more difficult though. When our daughter was in Elementary school and the staff thought she needed to be put on Ritalin I was not going to just do that without being tested first. So DH and I go there with daughter and when we finished, he had daughter go sit out in the lobby and talked to DH and myself.. First he said DD was not ADHD at all, she was understimulated due to her IQ. Then he turned to DH and asked if he could do individual counseling with with! That did not go well at all. According to DH the only problem with his is everyone else in the world. They are incompetent, politicians running the government wrong, police not enforcing rules. There was nothing wrong with him. His anger is only in response to some one doing something wrong. He wouldn't be angry if everyone else in the world did what they were supposed to do.

The question about bathroom vs larger closet? How big is your closet? You say it is a nice size now. I would go for the bigger bathroom. HGTV says bathrooms and kitchens sell a house.

Today was errand day. Needed to go to Best Buy, Walmart, a local consignment store that carries everything from furniture to toys and then Bed Bath and beyond. I wanted to look at the consignment show for some additional things for the girls bedrooms in their new house. I have the stick ons for the walls, was surprised that I spent $50 on what I bought. So I found one of those collapsing chairs with comfy furry fabric in pink of course, I cute lion to put on a dresser or bedside table and a really cute hot pink wire basket that can hold who knows what. They already have one of those chairs and it's a smaller one so Ellie can have that in her room and Trinity can have the larger one in her room. I wish I knew what kind of window covering they are using. What they have now is a sheet pinned to the wall. UGH! The rest of the house they just have the provided white blinds which don't do very well with a large dog.

Time to get off my 'puter and get ready to get in bed earlier. Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of Jari Love's Ripped to the Core DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies DVD.

Sharon - so glad your hubby went to the counseling!

Gilly - we enjoyed the Murder Mystery dinner. I guess (at least for us) the most involvement is trying to get the costumes together. Then again, if you go to a Murder Mystery at a restaurant, you probably don't have to do that.

Sylvia - thanks for telling me about the flag. I never knew (probably because I've never used it!)

After exercise today went to IGA just to get a bottle of wine that I think Kris will like, then to Bi-Lo for things on sale, then my list for Aldi was getting quite long so went there.

Then home and made the chicken I had marinating in the refrigerator, a turkey quinoa meatloaf (if Vince doesn't like it, I'll eat it), steamed asparagus that I'd gotten, cut up mushrooms and roasted them. Now they're in the freezer and I'll put them in a bag so I can have them later on in my salad. Then church. I'd completely forgotten it was the Passion, so not only was I the lector but also the "voice" (not that the voice has many parts). Home for dinner, will try to work some on the latchhook.

Janet - the chocolate cake, actually, didn't taste all that good. why I had that second piece is beyond me. Maybe I was hoping it would get better tasting.

Sending healing thoughts to everyone who needs them

Sylvia
    - we have a whirlpool in our bathroom. Honestly, since we've lived here, I think I can count on one hand how many times I've used it. Now I'm in the pool just about every day during the summer. What a wonderful hubby you have there! Cute joke!

Alison
    - you certainly do do a lot of work and running around. You make me tired just reading about your day

Kim - I found the party rye in Lowe's Foods. Didn't expect that, but you can bet I certainly scarfed it up

Rori - your posts are so very interesting. I can just imagine the things you can tell us (why not do it???). Here's hoping you feel better fast.

Michele in NC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday and woke to rain, so no drive out. Himeself is watching cricket, Australia versus New Zealand. Formula 1 tonight. Hope New Zealand wins.
    I went for my 2 mile walk in the drizzle, at least THAT is done.
    I have a nice big shower closet and a full bath. Going to have a soak after dinner
    Tomorrow, Monday, is Wii Biggest Loser and Jeannette's kick-boxing and may do JJ's Bikini boot-camp II.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! We had a very busy day today, basketball, DSonIL and DGS1&2 came over for the evening to shoot their new shotguns. I made chicken wings in the oven that were so good that DGS2 ate 10 times his normal. They stayed until almost 10:30 :)
    I think we should all meet up sometime and go on a cruise! That would be so much fun.
    Sylvia - you have such cute goof balls! They look so well behaved! We went for a 3/4 bath when we finished our lower level. It's nice and large we love it.

Barbie - I am hooked on weight lifting! I can't believe the immediate and noticeable results in just 4 weeks. My DGS said tonight that I look skinny like auntie Heather except with muscles! My DH can't believe how tight and toned my legs and butt have gotten. I have dropped a pant size in the last week and will probably drop another one really soon. Not losing weight though, just inches. Glad to hear that you are going to start lifting again. I only regret not starting sooner!

Rori - I read up on mortons neuroma, it sounds like what my DH has going on in his hand due to severing his radial nerve. I know that he is in pain quite often. With opinion and needles similar to what you must be going through. Have you thought of going to the Mayo Clinic? They treat that with a surgical procedure.

Allison - you deserve that phone!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - The kids must have had a blast making the masks. That was such a cool, creative idea for a party.
    Your DH sounds like a very caring person.

Pip - I must be a great feeling to "under grow" your workout shorts. Nicely done.

Heather - I finally picked up Gretchen Rubin's Happiness Project. Looking forward to the read.

Peachstategal - I loved Sean Connery. That Voice! So sexy.

It's been a busy few days. Today was so busy at work and my patience was tried by both customers and staff. I know the majority of interactions are positive however they are not the ones that crawl under the skin and make you want to say "Here's your sign"
    Had a nap and pushed reset.
    DH wanted to go to Chapters so I roused myself even though I could have been quite happy just staying home. He surprised me by taking me out for Fish and Chips. I could have made something at home but my kitchen looks like a bomb went off in it and I still have no desire to remedy that situation. Supper, Chapters and then out to a friend's farm for coffee.
    I am so afraid that DS is being manipulated by Her. All I can do is to love him and pray that he doesn't make a mistake.
    Brunch at our friends tomorrow. 9 a.m. I was hoping to sleep in. Don't I just sound like an ungrateful little whiner?
    Thank you all for your support in my difficult situation. Hoping that's a light at the end of the tunnel I see and not a rail engine set to run over me.
    Time to hit the sack.
    -Sharon in Lethbridge

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Sylvia: your son has great parents. Your gift will make a HUGE difference for him. Love the photo!

Cindy: don’t despair. A lot of us have rough spots. It doesn’t mean we’re giving up or are New Year’s dieters or are not interested.

Lesley: still thinking of you. Mildred was so lucky to have people like you.

Alison: you’re far from spoiled. But you know that.

I actually got motivated to do some tidying up around here, correspondence, paying bills etc. In my experience that’s a sign I’m starting to feel better. Hope it continues. Still busy with the work overlapping (till May 1), so I haven’t been working out much and “hobbies” like genealogy are kind of on the back burner for now.

Hope we all have a good day.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cindy - I have bad news for you. This is a never ending journey and it will never be over and it is never quick. :sad: As Katla said, it is a whole lifestyle change, not a diet where the weight falls off at a steady rate. It took me 18 months to lose my 57 lbs. The last few lbs took AGES. But I got there and now maintenance entails hard work, persistence and dedication. :sad: Without the perks of new sizes in clothes and peoples astonished compliments. Is it worth it? HELL YES! ! ! ! ! ! ! I sympathise that is especially hard when you do a lot of travelling - I have found that difficult, but let Rori be your example! Rigorous logging and planning is the key.
    - I only have one Friend because I have found I don't need/want more as this thread is such a grest help to me. I could not have done it without them and I certainly could not have maintained, which is even harder. 95% of dieters put all their weight and more back within a couple of years. Only those who have changed their life style and included a lot of exercise in their daily life manage to sustain it. I have been on maintenance for 15 months and log everything every day and do 600 cals exercise. Do I want to? No! I am by nature a lazy slob, but, in Pip's words, I have chosen my "hard". Being fat is the hardest. I always remember that misery.

Rori - love your stories. :flowerforyou: One of my charities is a facial deformity one called Facing The World. They operate on kids with the most horrific deformities. :cry: I cannot comprehend what they go through. Our faces are the way we relate to the world and the way it relates to us.

Got to get on and make my Chinese chicken soup for lunch from Melanie Wade's new soup book. :D

Heather UK
    27681614.png