WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    I've been nonstop since I came back from the gym. This hundred and 2 cal of a drink is well worth it! Now have to go upstairs and make the bed
  • MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    This made a great dinner salad:

Dressing (2 servings):
    3 T. raw almond butter
    1 T. unseasoned rice wine vinegar
    ⅛ tsp. salt
    1 T. maple syrup
    2 t. toasted sesame oil

Salad (1 serving):
    3 cups mixed greens
    1 stalk celery, diced
    2 radishes, thinly sliced
    1/3 green apple, thinly sliced and soaked in salted water to prevent browning
    1/4 cup walnuts
    2 oz Deli chicken

And I made 2 extra for lunches this week!

Cindy in SoMD
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun.Nice church service and baby shower/luncheon.
    Tired.
    hugs jane
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Trying to catch up on the posts but there is so much going on in all our lives! Have been enjoying the posts about old TV shows -- loved David McCallum and The Man from UNCLE -- got to see Robert Vaughan in a play last year. Weight is not budging lately but I am not giving up. Have been having some pain in my shoulder that occasionally spreads to the back of my head which is making it difficult to go to the gym. Did a half hour walk outside today and even then it made me wince a little. Might have overdone some kitchen and closet cleaning a couple of weeks ago. Even considering going to the doctor as Aleve and FlexAll does not seem to help much. It is always something isn't it? Any muscle experts out there who know how the head behind the ear is connected to the shoulder anyway?
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Just finished driving for ten hours. At the Culver's in Wentsville, MO. Here to get mom's house ready for sale. DH stayed home. Some ways harder some ways easier without him. Long drive. Still about a half to go. Most of the drive was cloudy which helped.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday and rain again. Wii Biggest Loser and JJ's Kick-boxing SOON.
    It was good to do the 2 mile walk yesterday. I got to the mile turn round and smiled at how much Mildred LOVED paddling in that stream, I felt her close and talked to her and apologised for putting her to sleep. it does get easier. This afternoon I will walk around our own walking tracks and remember how she LOVED walking there. We still miss her so much especially on our walks
    Only logged 1375 cals today. I am making beef in red wine casserole from Bodytrim book, is in crock-pot, left-over chicken sate for lunch with nashe pear
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

smiley-happy110.gif For anyone thinking about strength training at home, look for "Strong Women Stay Young"....the book begins by making a strong case for strength training at any age and any level of fitness and then provides a way to find out your fitness level and a program for anyone at any level including anyone who needs to start with no weight at all....the important thing is to challenge yourself by lifting something that requires a bit of effort but not so much that you hurt yourself

smiley-cool05.gif Heather, I love thinking about you dancing in your kitchen.....bluetooth headphones are the greatest

smiley-happy110.gif My current 15 minutes a day project is sorting slides from the past in preparation for buying a scanner and converting them to digital. Right now I'm going through the photos of the World Campus Afloat cruise I took in 1973. It wasn't an elegant cruise with fancy meals and entertainment but we were able to take classes and visit Tahiti, Fiji, New Guinea, Hong Kong, and Manila.

smiley-sport017.gif--I got back to my strength training again today after not doing it for most of the month. It felt good. I'll be including it as one of my goals for April.

<3 Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

146200.png

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Caught up!

Saturday was spent locating ONE piece of information for our taxes ... literally took over the day ... but at least we figured it out. Interesting they tell you to only keep your tax records for 7 years ... the information we needed was with 1994s records. Glad I still had them.

While today was not really busy ... church and some cooking ... I am exhausted. Early to bed.

Some thoughts ...
    Thanks for the freezer cooking ideas! Yes, son has an aide to cook for him ... he's hoping I'll do it for him.
    Sylvia .... our house was just appraised as 3 full baths ... one of those only has a shower, toilet, sink. Go with what makes you happy!
    A friend we hadn't seen for a few years was in church today ... an emotional visit ... he's now living in Siberia, Russia. He made me cry ...
    Allison ... enjoy your new phone!
    Vicki ... so glad to hear your mom is doing better!
    I have been binge eating .... tomorrow is another day.

Beth in WNY
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did 50 minutes of Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies DVD. Tomorrow's plan is to do some yoga, hold my plank and then take the extremepump class.

After exercise made keylime cupcakes for Easter, just haven't iced them so the cupcakes are in the freezer. Then made chocolate chip cookies for Jess and Kris to have. Those are in the freezer, too. Did one row of the latchhook, tried to get caught up on shows that I recorded, hoping to get another row done today. Organized my coupons. Called my cousin who called right before we left for Jessica's. Found out she had stage 2 ovarian cancer but is better now

Mary
    - I like the way the weight lifting makes my body look, too. Plus, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, good win/win situation

Vicki
    - thanks for telling us your mom is better. So happy for you all.

Cindy - baby steps, you're getting there and the slower you lose the weight, the more likely it is to stay off.

Heather - I can just see you now dancing and cooking! Brought a smile to my face

katla - I'm not a good swimmer at all, but I so enjoy just laying on the water in the pool. To me, that is SOOO relaxing

Beth - buying jewely on a cruise isn't a problem for me -- I've never been on a cruise. But I'll certainly remember this if I ever do get on one.

As to keeping dishes, etc. Jessica might very well want some as she seems to be the one who likes things that belonged to someone else (grandparents), but I know Bryan wouldn't want anything (even me) and I doubt Denise would. I know this is mean of me to say, but Pete's mother will probably buy them whatever they needed

Lesley
    - Mildred was ever so lucky to have you.

Michele in NC
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Home from work, dinner's done, and checking in with you.

I am enjoying Call the Midwife on PBS. Does anyone else follow this series? Of course next up is The Walking Dead. I am fascinated by this show for the sheer guts it takes for these folks to survive. I have to admit I don't always like the zombie gore. Maybe I like to see people struggle so hard to survive because it reminds me that I am an overcomer.

Vicki - so glad your mom is better.
    Heather - I'd love to see your dance moves.
    Barbie - love Hello Kitty. If you are determined as she is in that pic nothing can stop you!
    Cindy - slow and steady wins the race. My weight loss is sssssssooooo slow.
    Mary - great work with the weights!
    Beth - Is your friend Russian or just living there now?

I'll check in with you tomorrow after the staff meeting. Hope it isn't bad news.

Good night friends
    TNToni
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Toni ... My friend is Not Russian ... But he recently married a Russian woman and has a 9 week old son. He moved to Russia to teach English as well as minister to street children and orphans. He has a big heart and waited years to find love and happiness. His joy was palpable and overwhelmed me!
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Sad news for our family today as my oldest sister passed from her BC. Waiting to hear about arrangements before figuring out what to do. I'm so happy she is not suffering now, but we will all miss her. It was about 4 months start to finish.

DH and I spent the whole afternoon spreading about 120 bags of mulch in the yard. Got it all finished up, so I'm glad for checking it off the list.

Palm Sunday was a beautiful day in GA - the bluest skies I've seen in a long time. It was about 60 degrees with a light breeze, so it made the yard work nice. Our choir piece went really well so that was fun, too!

Gail, metro ATL
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! It's been a busy day. Spent most of it on my feet at the studio helping kids make masks.

Toni, one girl made a mask you might have liked It was a zombie! Pretty gruesome. She asked me what color to use for rotting flesh. Three girls made cat masks and one made an alien princess. That one was outstanding.

Michele, I've never been on a cruise either, and also would not buy the jewelry. I'm not a great lover of jewelry, so I make my own earrings. Cheap stuff with beads and chunks of stone. Nothing fancy. Seldom wear even those. I have a friend who is a silversmith, so if I ever wanted anything like that I would get it from her. I love her work. Don't like polishing silver though.

So, it's getting late and I'm tired. I hope you all had a great evening.

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

A teacher asked little Johnny if he knows his "1 to 10" well.

"Yes! Of course! My pop taught me...even more than 10"

"Good. What comes after three?”

"Four," answers the boy.

"What comes after six?"

"Seven."

"Very good," says the teacher. "Your dad did a good job. Now...so what comes after...lets say ten?"

"A jack!"

:D
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC - how many times per week do you lift? Do you do any cardio on the day you lift? For Stronglift 5x5 he suggested no cardio at all, but if you must, only 30 minutes right after. But, he doesn't recommend it because you need time for your muscles to recover and heal. This is the part I'm having trouble with. Prior to starting I did 3-4 hours 6 days a week. I didn't do anything today and am afraid I am going to gain weight! What have you observed? Or, what do you do?

Mary from Minnesota

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Allison, I have to start some serious spring cleaning, too. My friend that will come stay with us and go on the cruise with me, is one of the most meticulous housekeepers I have ever known. Not that she would judge me, but it’s a good reason to get this house in shape. That means lots of sorting and donating to Goodwill.

Carol GA, I’m not too sure about the rhubarb vodka either, although I did make a damson plum cordial many years ago that used vodka and it was delish! Oh, and full of sugar. :(

Mary, thanks for the info on the weights. My lower 3 vertebrae are fused and if not careful will have to have the next one done. I am embarrassed to say, but I’m still using 3 and 5 pound barbells. But I will keep your program in mind. I’m almost 10 years older than you are, so that is part of my “excuse”. Lol I am just so impressed with your progress!

Carey, super cool pictures of the house.

Lillian, sounds like you are ready, so sit back and enjoy the kids and grands!!!

Barbie, your cruise in 73 sounds great and wonderful ports. The one’s that I do aren’t the fanciest afloat but are very convenient because it’s only a 2 hour drive from home. Good for you on your strength training. (*)

Beth, so glad you got to see your friend. I hope those were tears of joy?

Gail, my sympathies for your loss. It is amazing how quickly that can go. I’ve known 3 people with BC that went within 4 or 5 months. Like you said, she is not suffering. Oh, you had our Carolina Blue skies today. Glad you enjoyed. :)

Michele, what kind of lifting do you do? And at what weights? I am just interested in what all you ladies do. Love the joke!

Had a nice time at the style show this afternoon. Some of our members are the models. It’s always interesting to see how they do as some are quite good and some should be in the audience. :s DH and I watched a movie on TV and it ended rather late, so I’m off to bed.

Have a healthy and happy night and day, ladies.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Janet - I applaud you for doing any type of exercise with fused vertebrae! I have some arthritis in my spine but hopefully it will be reversed or held at bay by exercise. I feel better when I exercise, does your back feel better if you do?

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Since it is after midnight I guess I should say good morning ladies! have had an up and down day. I would like for some one who can invent things to make a way to connect out nice warm bed covers to the alarm clock. About 30 minutes before it is to go off some device needs to start taking covers off!!!!! Last week I finally got myself in gear on a Sunday morning and actually went to Sunday School. So I was all prepared to do that today. Those covers felt so nice, I was so warm and comfy that I just rolled over, reset the alarm and got up an hour later. I really didn't want to get up then but it is Palm Sunday and I knew we were singing some beautiful music. Come to think of it, maybe this device would slowly inflate my Sleep number bed also. It was so beautiful this morning, I wore a light jacket over my sweater to church but took it off while i was at a stop light. But this evening when we went out to supper it was cloudy and cool.Tomorrow is heavy trash pick up day for our neighborhood and my next door neighbor has a nice recliner out to be picked up. Well, quite a dew recliners in our neighborhood but I would trust hers. So I sent a picture of it to my daughter to see if she could incorporate it in her new house. They will have so much more room in their house since the kids have their own rooms and toys aren't in the living room. So that is in our van to take down on Thursday. Of course now we can't recline our seats at all until we deliver it. I also bought as a house warming gift a Spiroli. I'm sure it is like the Spiralizer you guys talk about but more in my price range. I looked at the reviews of the Vegigetti and it had some really bad reviews. Christina is used to having road side finds all the time. When she was pregnant with 1st baby she found a dresser, repainted it and then painted ech nob a different color that was also in the nursery and it was just beautiful.

I can't remember who it is that has the son with all the migraines. My daughter took a road trip yesterday with a lady who has really bad migraines, finally fired due to all the missed work, Anyway, she said since she is away from the flourescent lights her migraines are so much better. But she is also not under as much stress not working where she was.

Beth, it sounds like you may have had some personal bad experience with cruise ship purchases? When we went on our cruise we bought a domino set that they told us was pure ivory. I'm not sure about that but we liked the feel of the domino, and it came in a nice case and the price was OK. You have to understand my husband. His pocketbook DOES not open

Cindy, the article you posted made me think. When Mom was alive I am sure she must have spent a lot of time thinking about her own mortality since she wanted so much to be with Dad who had died quite a few years before. So every time I was over I would usually come home with something. I guess it was out of guilt. I didn't want to disappoint Mom. And then of course she would want to see me using it in my home when she came over. Well I am now the same with my oldest daughter. Some of the things I have given her, well she asked for, were useless. But I guess when you have nothing and live in a dilapidated trailer, anything from home is nice. I am so glad they are no longer in that home. But my husband never talks about his home life. It's like he popped out a dysfunctional grownup. At my mother in laws funeral, one of his uncles gave us a packet of pictures, ALL of his report cards, cards he gave his Mom for Mother's day, etc. I will never throw those things away. I was so glad some one took the time to collect those.

My sister has a hot tub and her husband is a type A personality so that thing is kept spotless. And just as an FYI, she has sever arthritis and fibromylgia and so insurance paid for the hot tub. They made a Florida room to accomodate it but the hot tub was paid for.

Carol, your day yesterday sounds exactly like mine with my husband. I had a busy day with quite a few errands but it would be by myself, and could wander around and go 'window shopping' at Walmart, bed bath and beyond and do wahtever I wanted. Instead I had Mr Grumpy by side and all I wanted was to get my shopping done and get home.

Ahhh, rhubarb. When we would visit my Dad's family every summer up in Minnesota I think that stuff grew like weeds in every ditch. We had so many tings made with rhubarb. I hated it. But we had one lady we went to see that made rhubarb custard pie and I asked for seconds it was that good.

Sharon, Is your husband trying to make up with you and do something special like taking you out to dinner? Sounds familiar.

Several of you have spoken about your friends and this forum. The reason I don't accept many MFP friend requests is that this place is my home, my family, my confidante, I don't post anything on my home page, nothing at all.

I hope any of you around Australia, New Guinea are OK. I don't know if any tsunami would eve go over to the Australia area and I don't think Lesley even lives anywhere near the coast line.

Gail, Atl, I am so sorry about your sister. Were all close, did she live close to you so that you were in contact all the time?

Speaking of eating while a loved one is in the hospital, Whenever Charlie is in the hospital, they give a discount when you are eating in the cafeteria if you order off the heart healthy menu! We have 2 main hospitals, a women's hospital and a Heart hospital. In one of the main hospitals we have a satellite of Rileys hospital.

Just got an email for Christopher banks, my favorite clothing store for my clothes. They are getting ready to have their fashion show and asking for 'models'. They do a fall fashion show also and I waited to long to let them know I would do it if they wanted me and so now I need to do this one.

Written enough!!!! Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hello fair friends.

Vicki- I'm glad to hear your Mom is doing better.

Lillian - Keep Nothing that can be labelled frumpy. You strike me as a woman of style; let your inner butterfly free.

Lesley - That is nice that you enjoyed a good memory of Mildred. You will have many more.

Gail ATL - I am so sorry for your loss.

Joyce - DH is probably trying to make up but he does have to go to counselling to fix this. Working at our marriage is the only thing that is going to fix it for me.

Sharon in Lethbridge (aka the windy City)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Beth - do you know what triggers your binge eating? Tell us about it, we may have some helpful suggestions. You are not alone. :flowerforyou:

Gail - so sorry to hear of your sister's passing. :flowerforyou: I hope my only sibling will live a long time. They are so precious. <3

Toni - my dancing is more like jigging or "bopping". I used to do a lot of dancing, invluding modern ballet, but my knee prevents me from doing much these days, to my great disappointment. Some of yesterday's jigging was very much on one leg, but I reckon I still burnt a few calories. I have gone under ten stone this morning - under 140 lbs.

Done my exercises. Want to wash my hair as we are going out to our local superstore this pm. I will buy runny, smelly cheese for my dinner party on Friday (my brother is diabetic 2 so desserts are limited) and some avocados for one of the starter dips. Also they have wonderful German rye bread. I will let DH do the bigger shop in the normal supermarket. I will just pick out delicious morsels in the speciality shop. :laugh: They do excellent organic salmon too.

Will log on to the book website today on my laptop. So far I have only done it on my tablet, but I need to get it sorted on my laptop and download and print some instructions.

Cindy - have you checked out the calories in that dressing? It looks healthy and delicious to me, but very high in calories. Personally if I have a tight calorie limit I don't "waste" it on dressings, but would choose some more filling protein. But if it fits into your daily plan then it looks tasty! :flowerforyou:

Love to all. Heather in sunny, soon to be rainy, Hampshire, UK
    27681614.png