• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Afternoon kids.here at work
    Out at 5
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sassy for the helpful article and the wonderful words of widsom!
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Mary, I will try the lying flat in bed suggestion. I never considered it a pinched nerve, thought it was muscular and thought I was exercising too much!! Like that will ever happen!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of yoga, held my plank for 2 min 40 sec, then took the extremepump class. Tomorrow's plan is to do incline intervals on the treadmill.

Gail - my deepest sympathies to you and your entire family.

Sylvia - one thing they mentioned on (I don't even remember the name, I've probably butchered it) "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" was that to clean silver, use toothpaste. I decided to give it a try and it really does work! I'm not crazy about using those chemicals, either

Mary
    - I usually lift about 3 times a week, cardio the other days. I don't know what it is, probably that I run out of time, in that I've never lifted on the same day as I've done cardio. Maybe I just am afraid that I wouldn't give it my best if I had to do both. I usually lift on Monday, Thursday and Saturday. I do try to give my muscles anywhere from 24 to 48 hours to recover. As far as what do I do -- let me tell you, I have a short attention span so I'm constantly changing things up. Usually I take an extremepump class (kind of like body pump), the other days I usually do a DVD (I like Jari Love and recently <thanks Lesley> Jennette Jenkins. As for the cardio -- well, let's see, step, incline intervals, HIIT, water aerobics, yoga/pilates, bosu, the rebounder, speed intervals, walking DVD's, spinning, depending on how I'm feeling sometimes I do balance games on the Wii, sometimes training games on the Wii, there are probably other things that I can't think of right now. I usually do yoga/pilates shortly before lifting or aerobics. I've found that FOR ME if I have something to eat at night (like after dinner), regardless of how many calories I have left for the day, I can be guaranteed of a gain. But that's just me. I usually only lift/do aerobics for an hour a day, then I'm usually doing something else.

Janet
    - I'm finding that I'm saying to myself "well, I'm 60 years old" when I have a hard time/can't do something. But then I look around at some of the gals in the gym and I'm doing more than they are! I remember taking a strength training class and I was lifting heavier weights than a lot of the kids in the class. I just thought to myself "I'm twice your age, aren't you embarassed that I'm lifting heavier weights than you are?" Depending on the body part I'm working on depends on the weight that I use. I definitely go lighter when I'm working my shoulders, especially lateral lifts. I very seldom go above 5#. Now when I'm working chest I go 10#, same with legs. When I take the extremepump class, on the barbell I use a 2.5kg (I think that's a 5#wt) and two 1kg plates (I think each is about 2lbs)

Well, Thurs would be 2 weeks since I had that cortison injection. I don't feel that my finger is much better. I had to change the appt from Thurs to Wed, but I think I'm probably going to go for another shot. I don't want to do too many, so hope this one works. So if I don't post Wed. or thurs, no need to worry. It's just that my finger is numb

Joyce - I'm betting you'll be a fantastic model -- probably one of the best. They usually give good discounts on the clothes you model, so buy some

Sassy - very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. I honestly didn't realize that the most highly processed foods usually have the most sodium. Well, I try to avoid processed foods as it is (not that I'm always succesful)

Sylvia - that is so nice of you to help your son like that! What a hubby you have there

pip - I really do believe that people wait to die. I'm sure my father did

Heather - "mushy peas and stringless beans", is that a real veggie?

Chris - congrats on the loss. Great shopping at the SA

After exercising today stopped at the Salvation Army. Found a cute shirt (not like I really need more, but I liked the color) then to Aldi to get some cream cheese and a few other things, then home to make a cheesecake. they're having a celebration at ceramics tomorrow for everyone whose birthdays are in March. I work at the Green Room then I'll go to ceramics and take the cake with me. On the way home I plan to stop at Lowe's Foods since they have butter on sale and I have a coupon.

Janet - even when I have company, to be honest, I would prefer to have a piece of fruit for dessert than a cake or something like that.

Mahjongg tonight.

Michele in NC
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good evening folks ... Well iris late evening in UK anyway!
    I still can't quite get my head around how you reply to everyone but one day it might happen!
    A good day today ... Cleaning hours and I'm in my calories.
    I spent ages today doing a get well card for my son .... Small op today, key hole surgery.
    It's the first time he's been in hospital for himself! ... He's 40 but you still worry!!
    And ... Spent ages doing a special 3rd birthday card for the Grand twins ... 1 each of course!
    But .... If our printer keeps misbehaving the air will be BUE!, I wasted 8 cards trying to print my son's card
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Jackie W: I nearly always type my replies into a word document, and then copy and paste them into MFP. If there is a hiccup I still have the post and can try again.

Alison: I admire your work at remodeling and spring-cleaning. WTG!

Mary from MA: You have just given new meaning to the term “downsize.” I love it!

Lillian in WC Saskatchewan: I love your term, “Triple E yard". My parents had a yard that was like that. We’ve always had a smaller yard because that is what was available in our price range. Now we live in a townhouse. I am continually surprised at how much I like it. I always wanted acreage, or so I thought.

Cindy in SoMD: Your salad and dressing sounds divine.

Margaret: Be careful on the road. When I go long distances alone I stop often at rest areas to stretch my legs and move around whether or not I need to “rest.”

Gail in Metro Atlanta: I’m so sorry for your loss. Losing family is so hard.

Sylvia: ”What comes after 10…” still has me chuckling. I need to weigh in with Mary on the issue of change and personal growth. People can change and behavior can be modified. You and I are proof of that, as are many women on this thread.

Heather: 64 pages of instructions sounds rather daunting. Your comments on bone health as we age are very important. Thanks for the reminder.

Sassy: Thanks for posting “Why the Scale Lies.”

Chris in snowy, dreary cold MA: Congratulations on the new, smaller sizes! Send us your snow! We need it up and down the whole west coast, preferably on mountains.

Beth in W NY: I’m sending good thoughts your way for strength in this tough time.

I’m thinking about Easter decorating. DDIL will be spending Easter with us and it is one of her favorite holidays. I’d like to spruce the house up a bit in her honor. Clean and tidy is always good. I’m also thinking about some bunny toys for her dog and flowers. Inspiration has about four days to strike and be followed. She’ is planning to be here Friday.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Why oh why does it only print half of my post?
    I did do a bit of my rocks painting but must get going tomorrow!.the potential buyer at my Art group is moving South soon!
    So ... Hope this post works to the end...
    BFN
    Jackie W
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Tuesday and pensions in the bank so making list and going shopping.
    Have decided NOT to train today except walking.
    As a body-builder of old I look at my body fat % and work out fat weight and lean weight from total weight. Taught this years ago and have to do it for Tom venuto's site anyway.
    Food cals = 1625 so all OK with that and YES fish and chip treat on the wharf at Wynyard after shopping. have to get meds too.
    My first husband, in England, emailed asking for news of Camille, granddaughter. Could not tell him much as she refuses to answer emails or phone since last year. he has had 3 wives and I now feel sorry for him, took years I can tell you, but told to forgive and move on.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good visit with mom. Beautiful day here and I got here outside in a courtyard for a half an hour. Ran into one of my sister friends at one of my favorite local stores. Fun to catch up. The only tense moment I had driving yesterday was when an eagle flew in front of my car to get at some road kill. I honked and he/she flew off.

Katla thanks for the well wishes. This trip with DH takes 9 and half hours. It took me eleven because I stopped so often. I also use a special back cushion and a cushion to sit on. Using both really helps me be less sore.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    hello.
    Gail,so sorry about ur sister.Cancer sucks!I lost my bf to it 2 months ago,she was like a sister.
    Just want to let everyone know if Im not on much,moving after 2 years of looking we are renting a cute house.No more living month to month.
    Hugs to all
    jane
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Janet – thanks for sharing the Carolina blue skies!

Joyce – all of my siblings are close, but we are separated by miles. She and a brother were/are in the SW and I’m in the SE, another brother is mid-Atlantic and another sister in the mid-West. We usually just laugh ourselves silly when together and have such a great time. Now we’ll get to really celebrate her! DH will stay home with the dog, but I’ll be gone for a few days.

Thanks to all of you for the condolences. Her services will be Friday, which allows for all of us to get there.

Pipcd34 – thank you for sharing your story. How wonderful to have your brothers reunited!

I shared the ”What comes after 10…” joke with my BIL who plays poker a couple times a week.

Jane Martin - I'm glad you finally found a place. Being settled is good!

Need to fix something for dinner. Have a good night.
    Gail, metro ATL
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.07min, 14.6.mph 3mi = 102c
    spin- 40min, 74ar 114aw, 12-16g, 14.7mi 285c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.27min, 13.2amph, 1.4mi = 69c
    ride dome 2 hm- 54min, 11.2amph, 10mi = 453c
    Total cal 909
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi all I am finally alive and mostly well. I think I did have norovirus (someone mentioned that about 6 pages ago!). What ever it was, may it never return!

Busy, busy day at work, tomorrow will go until 8 pm, but I'll try to get on here during the day. Sending healing and loving thoughts to all my friends here and cheers to those who are celebrating! Take care, meg from omaha
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Joyce - exciting news about your modeling! Sounds like a fun time!

Michele in NC - thanks for the feedback on your exercises! You are amazing!

Mynyddisamrs - I'm sorry to hear about your DS it's hard when they are in the hospital. I hope everything goes well. It prints only half posts a lot! I use my text on my phone to email my post to me,then I copy and paste it to MFP.

Katla - have fun decorating for your visit with your DDIL! She is a lucky woman to have a DMIL like you to spoil her!

Lesley - bodybuilding! Now we have an expert to consult with!

MNMargaret - it's been raining here all day! Glad you had nice weather! Eagles are so beautiful and graceful for as large as they are, lucky that you were able to see it.

Gail - I'm happy that you will be able to celebrate your sisters life with your family. We are all here for you! (((hugs)))

Meg from Omaha - norovirus, I'm glad that you are getting back to normal!

I have a very busy week, we are getting ready to go on vacation! Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Good eve. Been having one problem,then another. Not caught up on mail. Carpet in bedrm started "waffling" in one area.....have never had carpet do that. A man came today (after 3 wks)to take pics & send report to Lowes. He said even good carpet is not what it used to be,as it often has plastic IN the carpet or used as backing. The plastic stretches,then relaxes causing the 3-4 wrinkles. Anyway,that is what he said. Will be in Lowes corner now.

My iPad....just 3 mos old stopped working, That meant a trip to Apple where we spent 2 hrs. The expert said the screen had failed. ,so after all my info was transferred,& deckared finished.came home to find no mail. SIL was on ph with them for well over an hr & hope hope all is well.I hate,hate having to change passwords! :s

Can't believe March is about gone & I wasn't on enough to remember my words. Shame on me. Good work to the losers & good thoughts to those who need them. Pat
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well - the suspense is over- They are closing my Y in 45 days. BooHoo! This is where I work and where I have worked out for about 12 years. They said the staff will be given 1 year free membership to the Y even if we don't continue on staff at another Y. It will be a long drive to another Y with a pool. I haven't decided if I will pursue another job with the Y. I'll know more in the next few days. We are all so sad. It is such a wonderful diverse group of members and the staff is like family. Everyone is taking it very hard.

One door closed - now I will be searching for an open one.

Toni in Tennessee

Gratitude for the past - Strength for the present - Faith for the future
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Gail: My sympathies. :'( Glad you have the other siblings to support each other.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :'( Gail, sorry to hear about your sister

:'( Toni, sorry to hear about the Y closing.

:D I have accomplished a lot today but not on the computer.

:D Sassy, I loved your post about maintenance. When people ask me what I do to maintain my new weight, I tell them that I keep doing what has been working all along.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
    the elimination diet:
    "Remove anger, regret, resentment, guilt, blame, and worry.
    Then watch your health, and life, improve."
    Dr. Charles, CoachMD
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Evening Ladies,

Chris, great buy on your new duds. Way to go. If I had to guess, I’d say the pain may be coming from your spine. Do you ever go to a Chiropractor? It might be worth a try. If you have a shower massage, be sure to concentrate it on neck and shoulders, too. That can help relax the muscle spasms. I hope it gets better soon.

TNToni, I don’t tell just anyone this, but my hair started thinning about 9 or 10 years ago. I mean bad. I have always had very thick, course hair and this just wouldn’t do. My doctor told me to use Rogaine for Men and that’s what I did. It works. Yes, you have to use it the rest of your life, but that’s a small price to pay to have my hair back. I get it on Ebay and have switched to Minoxidil since it is less expensive and the same product.

Beth, sorry you had such a bad night. At least the memory of it might help halt the next binge attack that tries to invade. Glad to have you back on track.

Michele, I like fruit too but normally don’t need/want anything sweet right after a meal. Good for you on the shirt you like. Who says you have to “need” it to buy it. :p

Katla, I think the decorating sounds like a great idea. Flowers always make a home more festive and especially spring flowers.

NMMargaret, glad you made the trip safely. A bird of any size, flying into the windshield could be terrible, so glad it moved on.

Jane, congrats on the new place. I hope it will be all that you are looking for.

Gail, so happy for you to see your siblings. I hope you do laugh yourselves silly…even at such an occasion. That is such a great feeling.

Meg, really glad to hear that you are finally well. I know you are too. Just remember to take care of yourself until you get back to 100%. Those bugs can really take it out of you.

Pat, we have carpet in one room that is beginning to wrinkle. The same carpet is throughout the house but it’s only happening in master bedroom, thank goodness. We had a man out to stretch it but he didn’t do much as it would have meant moving all the heavy furniture, which we can’t do any longer. To get his helper to come move it with him was going to cost a fortune, so we are going to live with it for the time being. The house is almost 8 years old, so the carpet will probably need to be replaced in the master and hallway within a couple of years. It was good to see you, come back more often.

TNToni, I hate to hear about your Y closing. If you decide not to seek a job at another Y, will you look for a new job? If it’s something you really enjoy, it might be worth the drive. If you lived in a large city you’d likely drive that far to work or work out. At least you have a little time to think about it. I hope ya’ll can have a huge party before it closes.

Have a happy and healthy night/day, ladies. <3

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quiet here; just in an "off" mood past couple days (had over 130 posts to read!!!).......sure I'll be more settled tomorrow after surgical consult and I meet the surgeon and get to ask ALL my questions. Hopefully he'll be a decent sort.

Tina......Thanks for the info on possible side effects of the oil. I bought the jar of coconut oil (looks like lard, which is why I think I was so hesitant) at least six months ago. My yoga instructor is a very big fan of Ayurvedic medicine and recommended it for several uses including the oil pulling. Have to admit, I never thought of it having any side effects and so far have had no problems; love the way it makes my teeth feel!

On the game shows........Name That Tune and Concentration were my favs.

Thursday we get taxes done.

My basil and tomatoes have sprouted; still waiting for rosemary and parsley.

Sharon.......Glad your DH agreed to counseling.

Heather........Congrats on finishing the book.

Cindy.........Have to agree; this battle goes on forever apparently. I read the same article on passing on things to kids. I really feel they will regret it some day.

Sylvia..... Your DH is truly a keeper; what a nice guy!

Toni.......WOW! We watched the same tv shows Sunday night! So sorry to hear about your Y closing.

Gail........My condolences to your entire family for the loss of your sister. I hope you all have many memories to make you smile.

Mary......Thanks for getting me started on the oil pulling; love the way my teeth feel.

Chris........Fabulous bargains!!! Great shopping!

Margaret........Glad you arrived safely. I "hear" you on how DHs being along is both good and bad..........I've gotten quite independent as mine has no interest in much outside the house.

We had snow flurries Saturday afternoon!!! Unbelievable. Saw some beautiful pink saucer magnolias today

Early morning; off to bed shortly.
    G'nite all.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic