WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Joyce and Heather - I have had luck with Cinnamon for ants, if you can find where they are coming in, put a thick line of cinnamon across the access point, they will not cross it.

Pip – it is fun when you decide to tell about your life….

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png

thanks MomKim = I don't talk as much as some of the other ladies I will admit. i'm glad you are smiling as I talk/type... :0)
  • pipcd34
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Kim- do it on an empty stomach 2 teaspoons, the first time is hard, I had DH start with 1 tsp to get use to it. 15 to 20 minutes. Work up to 20. Squish in and out of teeth. Don't swallow. Have a napkin ready for drools. Spit into trash not sink. Rinse with 10 Oz warm salt water. Warm water if in a hurry. Then brush teeth. Unbelievable results! Dissolves plaque between teeth and under the gum line. Whitens teeth and your tongue will be baby pink again! I'm only in my 2nd week with excellent results. Tina had articles on side effects of dizzy. .. we haven't experienced any. You will love the results!

Mary from Minnesota

I missed the memo... what is this supposed to do and what are you swishing?
  • pipcd34
    Options
    I see that I am writing Run-On sentences. Need to work on my writing skills. :'(

don't worry bout it. I don't care bout grammar when I right hear. i'm cool w/being a dumb 55 year old
  • SexY_ret1REE57
    SexY_ret1REE57 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for this blog. March is my birthday month and I turned 54 on the 1st. Yeah me!! You all keep me going and hoping that life gets even better as we continue to have birthdays. Yes, I celebrate every birthday that I am above ground and able to enjoy it. Weight is coming off slowly but surely and I am the turtle that plans to win this race. Enjoy the last day of March and hit it hard tomorrow and the rest of April. :smiley:
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I were talking last night and decided we are in the "Rubber Band" phase of life. Our kids leave and come back, leave and come back.... One 19 and one 21. Both home until mid-May. Then one leaves until August but will be back. The other is home until he can find a job and a roommate for an apartment of his own. All part of helping them finally become fully independent men. :)

Diana in NE Indiana
  • pipcd34
    Options
    shelties1 wrote: »
    Hi, I am in Southern MD, and have been working out for a few months now. I'm doing weight training with a trainer, and cardio. so it's been a slow go pound wise, but I am down around 20lbs, and have lost almost 2 sizes (depending on what type of material, it is 2).

As most of the women I see in the gym are younger, I'm glad there is a 50+ group for us!

Cheers,
    Karen

hey there... when I go to the gym (which is every day), I have blinders on. or u know those eye protectors that they have on those horses so they can only see in front of them and not what's beside them? I just go there focused to do what I do and not pay attention to anyone else. when people see me all the time, someone may come up to me and talk or something but it's usually to say, "dam you are working it!!" or "you look like you're on a mission". when they get to know me more, they then may get to know my age, etc... they are even more inspired. I get that from men and women.... down 2 sizes is exciting!!!, that is awesome!!!!, keep it up!!!!!!!!!!
  • dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

It is a beautiful sunny day with an anticipated high of 45. Hopefully I will be up for a walk outside for the first time in 3 weeks. Yesterday dr. appointment went well. I told him I was very disappointed that I still felt horrible with the flu symptoms. He said not to worry as this is normal and could last a few more weeks.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: I’m happy for you that you were able to visit your mom. I envy you. I visit mine in the cemetery a couple of times a year. I tell her and dad all the news of the grandkids, and the great grand grandkids, and I always have the last word. It would be tempting to wish them back, but death was a blessing because they were so sick at the time each passed. I have some regrets regarding missed opportunities to tell them how much I loved them. Visits like this will help you know that you’ve been a good daughter.

Jane: Congratulations on the upcoming move. I hope you’ll be happy in your new home for a long time. Perhaps you’ll share a picture or two.

Mary from MN: Thanks for your kind words. We’re all delighted that DS finally found a “keeper.” Our DDIL is a special woman.

Meg: Based on your post I looked up norovirus, and that might have been what DH and I had. He thinks we had gastroenteritis, but according to what I read, that can be caused by norovirus. Doesn’t much matter. We’re done with it for now, and hopefully for a LONG time.

Pat: We were asked to change our apple passwords again, and it ticked me off so I called their help line. The nice person walked me through it and suggested I change my password by adding a punctuation mark to what I had. I can live with that.

Toni in TN: I’m sorry they’re closing your YMCA. We don’t have one near us but I took swimming lessons at a Y when I was a kid. I’ve always liked the organization. Why are they closing yours? Has there been a decline in membership?

Lillian in Saskatchewan: I always wished to live on a farm when I was younger but when we moved from one place to another we couldn’t afford anything with acreage habitable and ended up in a suburban neighborhood. Now I am happy in a townhouse. What a surprise that has been.

Lesley: I’m so glad you’ve decided to look for a new dog at the shelter. You do need a dog and it is a great way to honor Mildred’s memory.

Time is up to post as my neighbor is ready to go to Zumba. I’ll be riding a bike while she dances. I’ll be back later to share my goal results for the month.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

Good Morning Ladies,

Lillian, how nice that you had a good Sunday with family. Aren’t those such special times? And woo hoo and good riddance to the frumpy clothes. I have to really force myself to buy more form fitting clothes when I shop because for years and years, I only got loose clothes.

Toni, you are so right about new adventures and opportunities. Who knows, this may all be happening for you to explore the next great adventure. Sometime change is scary but it can also be very exciting. I think the best part of it for me is the opportunity to meet new friends. I’m glad you like my party idea. Hey, I’m always up for a party. :D Good luck.

Lesley, how wonderful that you are ready to give a new orphan dog a forever home. I agree that walking is so much better when your fur baby goes with you. Good for you!!! We all know that you will never forget Mildred, but your heart is big enough to love a lot. <3

Mary, I think your results with the oil pull is wonderful. I might consider trying it but don’t like coconut. Does anyone remember the other oils that the article mentioned? This is just so intriguing.

Joyce, how great that your nephews have turned their lives around. Like you say, it can be done. The problem is that it takes determination and commitment, just like with eating and losing weight. On the Rogaine, I use the kind that comes with an eye dropper. It has a fill line, so you know how much. I put a line of it right on the scalp near the hairline and rub it in briskly. Then the rest, I put a line near the crown of my head and rub it in so it meets where the first application came to. The foam kind doesn’t work because of the hair. I guess it is for bald men? It did take a bit of time before I started to notice new hair growth in the really thinning areas, whereas before, there was none. Now my hair is back to pre-menopause status. I don’t know if it will work on any kind of baldness but just so glad it worked on mine. Have you talked to your doctor about your hair? Can’t taxes be a *kitten*? I guess, because I haven’t done them in so long, if DH goes before I do I’ll have to hire a tax accountant. I would just not have the patience to try to do the stock gains and losses. Other than that, I’m sure I could do them.

Heather, I was wondering about the mushy peas? It sounds like my split pea soup when I get it too thick. Before I got tired of being fat and eating unhealthy, I used dried cranberries in lots of dishes. I just love them and could eat them like raisins. I have a bag in the cabinet that’s never been opened. I might put some in bran muffins one of these days.

Gilly, is there not some type of breakfast you can eat on your drive to work? That is not ideal, but I hate for you to give up breakfast.

Mary, have a safe trip and enjoy yourself. What are the chances of DH getting transferred to Lubbock? You know there is no place in the world, like living in Texas. I’ve been away from there for almost 50 years and still consider myself a Texas at heart.

Carol, crossing my fingers for you that the new outfit fits like a glove.

Karen, welcome. You mentioned the workouts; are you logging your intake and staying under a certain calorie limit? Congrats on the weight loss and downsizing the clothes. Come often as this is a great place for support and encouragement. We are glad to have you. And remember that age is just a number, not a state of mind.

SassyBMT, welcome to you as well. I agree that all birthdays are to be celebrated. Congrats on the weight coming off. Truthfully I think the slower it comes off, the easier it is to keep it off. Come often and join right in.

Dia, I know that was encouraging for your doctor to tell you that you could feel horrible for another 3 weeks. :'( Just take care of yourself and hopefully you will be back up to snuff in a shorter time. Glad it’s getting to be walking weather.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

They say we should change passwords often for safety, which I’ll admit I don’t always do. I have ended up with so many that I have a small notebook by my computer where I keep them. When I travel and take my laptop, the small notebook goes too. Lord knows, I wouldn’t be able to do banking, travel planning, or even FB without the book. I set my desktop to remember most of my passwords so I don’t type them in often enough to begin to remember them.

Have a happy and healthy day, ladies. <3

Quote for the day:

Every positive change in
    Your life begins with a
    Clear, unequivocal
    Decision that you are
    Going to either do
    Something or stop doing
    Something.
    Unknown

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon!
    I survived the yoga cake (had a tiny taste - even though my friend made it, it was dry and not good) and had a 50 cal shot of gin and a calorie free tonic at the pub. Go me! Everyone else had cake, then a shop bought cupcake (boo) , then a fattening lunch. I walked home and had my Dim Sum and a kiwi fruit. :Do:)

W I tonight. There is a speaker from a children's hospice, which should be very interesting. I am a huge fan of the hospice movement. Of course, children's is so sad, but I am sure they do their very best to make their short lives as happy as possible. DH's friend that he went for a walk with today has a very, very severely disabled grandson who is currently in hospital for the umpteenth time. So difficult for everyone.

Beth - I can only admire your strength in the care you give your two boys. :flowerforyou: I was upset when you said no one else except this group cares about your weight struggles. We all need our "cheerers on". Is there a carer's group you belong to? Or a slimming club? I am so glad that we are here for you. :love: Just know that I admire you so much.

A couple of new tops arrived today from a mail order company. They look good. I had to get a bigger size as the bust came up small and I have a wide back. (The company suggested it) Anyway, they are nice and a bit different to my normal t shirts. They were 25% off. DH has ordered a new compost bin! ! !

Trout fillets tonight with broccoli and french beans. I will bake it in lemon slices and have it with sorrel sauce - sorrel from the garden melted into half fat creme fraiche. No alcohol as I will be driving to the meeting. :D

Love Heather in windy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • natnlj
    natnlj Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    :/ Is it too late to join this group? I realize it is 3/31!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to mark my place. No way to catch up since Friday. The kickstart seems to have been working - lost 3 lbs last week. Off to work some more...

Carol in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    natnlj wrote: »
    :/ Is it too late to join this group? I realize it is 3/31!

never too late. there will be a new link for april :0)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It such a beautiful day here today! We may even hit 80 degrees! We walked to school this morning which was really nice. Then I did a little drafting, took my moving dolly up to my son's apartment, then met with the building manager to pay the deposit and get the keys. Yea!!! It's officially his! The manager was extremely kind and gave him a week to move and said if he needs more time than that to just let her know. It seems they have a ton of empty apartments and no need for his old one right away. So, some of the pressure is off him now. That has to feel good. We went through the new apartment again and looked around. It is SO much better than the tiny one he's moving out of. And the kids are over the moon!

When I said I didn't think that people ever really change, I meant deep inside, values or lack there of. I know that people can change habits, overcome addictions and that sort of thing. I'm proof of that. But I think mean people are mean through and through, selfish people are selfish, and nice people are nice, and they don't really change their core makeup. I can see that my son has made some effort to change his daily habits, but that underlying core of anger and narcissism is still there, like it was when he was a teenager. I can see it, maybe because I'm his mother, and I worry.

Lunch will be left over turkey and noodles from last night's dinner. It was really good, but led to a huge dog fight. We decided to give each of the dogs a little bit of the turkey and noodles, each in turn. Spot got some, then it was Molly's turn and Spot decided he wanted hers too, and she didn't want him to have it, so there was a big fight under the table. I was squirting them with the water bottle, which had no effect at all. Then hubby stuck his hand into the buzz saw to try to stop the fight and he got bitten on the arm and hand. At first he said Molly did it, but then he changed his mind and said it was Spot. Blood was everywhere. I threw Spot and Bruno out on the deck till we got it all sorted out and decided all the blood was coming from hubby. Cleaned up, we could see it was two puncture wounds on his arm and two on his right index finger. Once they stopped bleeding, all it took was a couple of bandaids. I wanted him to go get a tetanus shot, but he said no. I think he didn't want to report it as a dog bite.

So, the moral of this story is...NEVER give the dogs anything from the table ever again. We have learned a lesson for sure. I had no idea that a bite of noodles was so important that they would kill each other over it.

I'm not sure we can keep Spot if he is going to be such a fighter. I don't know what to do. I'm going to call a dog trainer who advertises at my vet's office and see what he says. I know it's more a problem with the owners than the dogs.

Well, I have to get to work. Have a great day.

Sylvia
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    A gorgeous day here......65 now, with an expected high of 71. Saw the surgeon this am; had every single question answered, very patient, no rush at all. I'm quite impressed and relieved at the moment. Surgery is sched. for this Friday, late morning. He estimates it should take three to five hours and I'll have about a three inch scar from my ear lobe (which will fade) right along jawline. No problem there as my hair should cover some of it anyway. The three to five hours is not all cutting......they take "slices" and process and examine them and then cut more and examine until the tissue taken is cancer free, then close the wound. All done under local. DH is taking the day off. Sorry if that is TMI for anyone. I'm just glad it will be over.

Lesley.........I can't tell you how ecstatic I am that you have made the decision to get another dog to love and have in your life!!! I am sure your Mildred would approve too. People who bond with their dogs as completely as you do are very, very special. I am glad you got to speak to your daughter and get caught up on her news.

Mary........Safe travels! My DD did say my teeth look shiny. I'm a pretty casual, "scrub and go" type; don't pay a lot of attention to the mirror other than occ. looking to make sure an outfit doesn't look too hideous. I guess I should though, maybe I would have got myself to a Dr. sooner if I was actually looking and "seeing" the skin cancer every day.

Carol.......Good luck with the outfit you have ordered.

Sylvia........I'm so sorry about the dog fight. From everything I've read or heard is to let them settle it themselves; a lot easier to say than do, I realize.

Lillian........I can't imagine 1800+ acres!!! Whew!!

Heather.........I love ham and split pea soup, so I'd probably like your mushy peas.

Need to get some lunch; possible trip to dog park in the cards for this afternoon.

DD had Gemma go along on her run last night; they did a solid five miles ( have been gradually increasing mileage for Gemmie), so she finally has the dog she's always wanted, one that can (and will) run with her.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I’m thinking about weight loss/healthy living as adaptive management. You have to keep good track of stats and progress, and then change what’s not working.

My March goals were:
    Exercise at least 5 days a week.
    Eat 5 fruits and veg a day
    No snacks or drinks after dinner

I lost weight and did mostly met my goals the first half of the month, but not the latter half. Travel and work busyness got the better of me.

So for April my goals have to be ways to avoid those traps.

I have done a good job of getting routine good eating habits in place, with a focus on lots of fruit and veg, lots of low fat protein, and <150 g of mainly whole-grain carbs per day. I allow myself little treats - a couple of Hershey kisses sometimes, but I think I need that to stay on track. I’m in the habit of prepping workday lunches on Sundays – cook some soup or make some Ball jar salads. I need to find some go-to dinners that are lean and green and I can get on the table fast when I get home at 6 or 7. My DBIL next door grills up a storm every Sunday nite to have meat ready for weeknites –so I’ll try that.

I have done a good job of getting a morning calisthenics routine in place – some push ups on the counter, some calf lifts while brushing teeth. And I’m adding to that every few days – added crunches today, next will be some free weights.

I have not done a great job of consistent sweaty (ie aerobic) exercise. I ride my stationary bike occasionally, but don’t really sweat. So I’m going to try a variety of classes this month and see what sticks. Zumba tonite. I’ll do the bike and free weights the nites I’m not out.

I have not done a great job of getting up from my desk during the day. So I bought a FitBit to remind me to do so, and to challenge myself to increase my “active” time.

So basically I gotta burn more calories, work on healthy quick dinners, and avoid crazy work and travel days, stay positive.

Goals for April:
    Burn more calories
    Be happy and positive!
    Get some go to quick and healthy dinners into my cooking rotation.

Welcome to Shelties1 from SoMD, I’m there too. May we both get out of Lane Bryant soon!

Heather: Mushy peas. Have been served it in the UK a few times. I don’t get it. ☺

Meg- glad you are back!

Carol- Congrats on 3 lbs!

Spring has finally hit here, yay - Cindy in SoMD.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Toni so sorry about the Y. I hope you find a place that works for you close by.

Having lunch at O'Charley's in Kirkwood. They have the best pecan chicken crusted, bluecheese, and cranberry salad. Applebee's tried but does not compare, so I am splurging.

Looked at Mom's trip to England, Wales, and Scotland. I realize today it is called U.K. One of my favorite shows right now is Midsomer Murders. She saw so much in so little time. Now I can picture where Stonehedge, Bath, Birthplace of Shakespeare, Glasgow, Greta Green. That is my plan for the week is to share the trips she took with all her friends and family. Can't wait for India and Greece.

She struggles with her memory, so I thought this would be a wonderful thing to share with her. I knew many of the friends she traveled with. Hester was on this U.K. tour. She is the one who would keep her Christmas tree up until Easter. She also made sure everyone know there is more than one verse to the Star Spangled Banner. She immediately liked me because I was one of the few who know this before she told me. She would also give my mom these fun little trinkets. So for Easter I made sure my mom had an Easter pic in her flowers that was a fake cupcake that was made to look like a rabbit. So Hester.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

Happy to report that it is sunny here in MA, although a bit windy and cool by the ocean. Jake and I had a lovely walk earlier, it's aways good to get away from the office for a spell.

Carol in NC...Congrats on 3 lbs.!!! That is awesome!!

Carol in GA...I love Coldwater Creek Clothes, hope your outfit fits well. I have bought alot of clothing from ebay also and have gotten some really good deals. You may have noticed that I love the thrill of the bargain!

Mary...how romantic that you and DH will be going to the place he proposed to you. Have a safe and wonderful vacation.

Sylvia...so thrilled about your son getting the apartment. As a mother I know how it is when our children are doing the best they can and are still struggling. May they make many happy memories in their new home.
    In regards to your DH's dog bite...please keep an eye on it. My sweet rescue dog Jake was attacked by a neighbor's dog while my son was walking him. Jake bit my son as he was scooping him up away from the attacking dog. The next day my son's hand that was bitten swelled up to the size of a baseball glove because of the bacteria in Jake's mouth. Fortunately a round of antibiotics cured him. Although Jake was almost killed, I am thrilled to say that he made a full recovery and the neighbor paid all the medical bills for Jake and my son.

I decided to make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow about my back. Mary, I did look up the symptoms of a pinched nerve and I think you may be right..I'll let you know how your diagognics skills are. I want to continue my yoga classes and other exercises, but I don't want to cause further injury so I thought a professional consultation was in order. To my great surprise, exercise has become a daily habit for me and I don't want to "fall off the wagon".

i walked over 17,000 steps yesterday, a good portion last night at the mall after dinner. We have a very large, beautiful mall right here in town and I have been taking advantage of the walking oppoutunity this winter. I am meeting a friend there this evening to walk with me, it will also give us a chance to catch up on our lives.

Today, for the first time in decades...I ... am ... wearing... size... 10... jeans!!!!! I will admit that they do have some spandex, so there is some give to the fabric, but this is the first major goal for me. I am so happy and proud of myself. This is 1 of the 2 pairs of jeans I bought on Friday at the Salvation Army, they are from Talbots and cost $4!!! Thanks Ladies for letting me share this victory with you.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Chris in sunny MA

• dia_nruf
    dia_nruf Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The rest of my message disappeared so I will try again.

Gail: I'm sorry for your families loss of your sister. I hope your gathering this weekend will give you all comfort.

Joyce: No I have not purchased jewelry on a cruise ship or on shore as I knew better. But I do have many customers who have and come to me to help them return their purchases. It's sad.

I am looking forward to setting new goals for April.

Beth in maine
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Hello All!

Happy to report that it is sunny here in MA, although a bit windy and cool by the ocean. Jake and I had a lovely walk earlier, it's aways good to get away from the office for a spell.

Today, for the first time in decades...I ... am ... wearing... size... 10... jeans!!!!! I will admit that they do have some spandex, so there is some give to the fabric, but this is the first major goal for me. I am so happy and proud of myself. This is 1 of the 2 pairs of jeans I bought on Friday at the Salvation Army, they are from Talbots and cost $4!!! Thanks Ladies for letting me share this victory with you.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    Chris in sunny MA

don't belittle the achievement size 10 IS A SIZE 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... I do the same thing. once I did a run and I got 1st place in my age group and I dogged it because I thought, well, there were probably only 2 or 3 in my age group. my husband says the same thing to me, HEY ! YOU GOT 1ST PLACE!!! THAT'S GOOD, JUST KEEP IT AT THAT!!!!!!!!!....soooo, passing on his wisdom...... size 10 is a size 10... rejoice!!!!!!!!