WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2015

Options

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Gail - so sorry to hear about your sister. (((hugs)))

Sassy - I like your articles.

Katla - I live on a farm. 1800+ acres. The actual yard inside the shelter belt is probably 10 acres.

And yes ...I will have a bag of frumpy clothes to go to the Salvation Army thrift store on Thursday.

Wonderful day Sunday with the kids and grandkids and DMIL. DMIL was so happy we took pictures of her with the DGkids.

AND...back to work today... :\

Will there be a new link for April?

Hugs to everyone as we dive into our hectic lives for the week, take the time to stop and smell ......SPRING!!! B)

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
    Were the sun is shinning and melting all the snow and the water is everywhere...
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Janet - Thanks for the idea of having a party. That would be a good send off. I do live in a big city. This Y was about 8 miles from me - a good route for traffic almost any time of the day. 3 of the Ys with a pool are about twice that distance and would be horrible traffic almost any time of the day. A fourth Y is in a "suburb" of Nashville, about 20 miles away but interstate most of the way. It might be my best bet.There are others downtown, out west, and up north but they're not in my territory at all. I'm thankful this is a metro area and I will have some choices.

Everyone's words of encouragement mean a lot to me. I do want to do something part time so if I don't stay with a Y I will once again be job searching. New adventures, new opportunities!

Love to you all -
    Toni
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    TNToni - sorry to hear about your Y closing and the loss of your job as well. That is why too much at one time! (((Hugs)))

Pat - wow! Carpet and computer at the same time. I'm bad about remembering passwords too. I have to write them down.

Yanniejannie - we haven't had any side effects from the coconut oil either. Let me know when you start noticing that your teeth are whiter and your tongue is pink. We still rinse out with warm saltwater.

Lillian - yea! Frumpy clothes are leaving the premises! Time to do the happy dance.

Mary from Minnesota
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    katla - I've decided that it's a mortal sin to pass up a rest area and NOT stop, either to have something to eat, to go to the bathroom, or even just to stretch. I do that so many times.

Meg
    - so glad you're feeling better.

Toni
    - I am so so sorry they are closing your Y. Did they give any reason for the closing? Is there another branch close to you even if it doesn't have a pool?

Lillian
    - barbie makes a new link for every month. I just have to remember to bookmark it and unbookmark the old link

Mary
    - I'm bad about passwords. One thing I do that I know isn't a good thing is that I have two passwords that I use mainly. Not a good idea, but that's how I can remember them

Michele from NC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Daughter in Victoria rang this morning. She had tried to answer my emails but got message un-deliverable. thought she was still mad at me. Grandson Joseph 15 is still sick, grandson Ben is playing drums in school orchestra and is in Grade 5 (kept him back a little). She is a boxing trainer at 3 gyms and loves it , husband is working for Council as a ranger full time.
    Went to chemist for my meds and new foundation. Brian said I looked brighter, that is good.
    1 more week of Tom's "Love your body" then start new challenge in May, need to gear up to it.
    Have decided to go to an animal shelter and look for new puppy, I need one for company. Walking is just not the same without a doggy. Will go after we have been to New Norfolk later in year
    OK must do banking now
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Joyce and Heather - I have had luck with Cinnamon for ants, if you can find where they are coming in, put a thick line of cinnamon across the access point, they will not cross it.

Sylvia – sending good thoughts for your son’s housing.

Mary – I missed the coconut oil mouth wash….. looked back, but can’t find it.. can you repeat yourself for me? Thanks!!!!!!!!! I do use coconut oil as a all body lotion. Oh, Tina posted some links I read…. Got it… might try it.

Pip – it is fun when you decide to tell about your life….

Slender Classy – welcome, I am from N. CA too.
    Rose, Montana snow – welcome

Sylvia – the masks are great! 3 cheers for hubby understanding and supporting the kids !

Beth – freeze-able food -- I love enchiladas, lasagna, chili, zucchini tots

Sharon – I am so so so happy that your DH went to counseling with you, there is still work ahead but the first step is taken!

Gilly – take care! I wish there was an affordable place to swim close to me… Once school is out for the summer they open the school pools and that will be something I can afford.

Alison – I am so glad that they are doing the bath, then a break, and then the Kitchen, your DH is a “bit” stubborn.

Heather- your rhubarb vodka is basically the same recipe I use for all sorts of flavored vodka, raspberry, lemon, pomegranate…. Our climate and soils make it almost impossible to grow rhubarb in this part of California, but I LOVE LOVE it so buy it at $3-4 a pound or more and never do anything but just cook it and eat it or do a pie, at that price I just can’t justify any other use.

Cindy – life does have it’s ups and downs, and I know I am one of those that get too busy then hook back, then busy… but each time I hook back in I reinforce my new good habits and the busy times have less time off the trail, even it I don’t log everyday.

Sylvia – here in CA, it seems to be important to have a tub in one bathroom, and a big shower in the other is a huge selling point.

Alison – your DH calling you a spoiled B just makes his “D” in DH into DumbA$$.... grrr!!!!!!!!

Barbie – you treat your pedometer like I treat my fitbit… I want to KNOW what I have done.

Michele – it always makes me chuckle when you go shopping at Lowe’s we have Lowe’s here too but it is a home improvement store like Home Depot.

Gail – my thoughts are with you.

Call the Midwife – I love it too…. Don’t always remember to tune in, but love it when I do

So told myself I would do two things after dinner tonight, catch up here and go to bed by 10pm, I failed at both… I am only to page 50 and it is 10:23…. I’m off…. More tomorrow!

March goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Eat slower
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Kim- do it on an empty stomach 2 teaspoons, the first time is hard, I had DH start with 1 tsp to get use to it. 15 to 20 minutes. Work up to 20. Squish in and out of teeth. Don't swallow. Have a napkin ready for drools. Spit into trash not sink. Rinse with 10 Oz warm salt water. Warm water if in a hurry. Then brush teeth. Unbelievable results! Dissolves plaque between teeth and under the gum line. Whitens teeth and your tongue will be baby pink again! I'm only in my 2nd week with excellent results. Tina had articles on side effects of dizzy. .. we haven't experienced any. You will love the results!

Mary from Minnesota

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sally, thanks for the article, very insightful. My husband is addicted to the scale. He weighs morning and night, sometimes after he eats ot has a big bowel movement. And thanks for the peptalk to about celebrating what we have taken off. I guess I should come clean here and say that my thighs, abdomen, belly, face, fingers and arms really wanted the weight back on them. I have gained 15 pounds. So I am really watching what I eat but not doing so good in getting back in habit in exercising.

Sylvia, I believe people can make a permanent positive change. Look at so many people here. They have to work at it a little harder than others but it is possible. All 3 of my nephews had really messed up their lives. My sister's son was an alcoholic as a teenager. He would steal, routinely snuck out of the house to go on his joy riding. He totaled his first car the night of 8th grade graduation. When my Dad was in the hospital having his first open heart surgery, his much younger cousin told him that he needed to leave the hospital because his Grandpa wouldn't want to see him like that. The night Dad died, many years later this young man admitted himself into an inpatient alcohol rehab center. He is now a recovering alcoholic since 1998. He never misses an AA meeting and is a sponsor for many guys. Ironically the young cousin who told him to leave the hospital got himself into problems with drugs and alcohol. But the moment his first child was born he swore he would never do either one again. And he hasn't. And there is my brother's son. He was into every hard drug anyone could ever think of, even stole to get his money and would deal it when he could. Fortunately he got a good judge who put him into an inpatient facitlity for a year instead a prison. He is on probation for several years and he knows if he messes up he has to serve the rest of his probation in prison. He is now in college to be an addiction counselor.

Sharon, do you think your DH talked to other guys and they told him that he needs to do tings to show you appreciation? Do men do that like us women do?

Heather. I wondered what stinky cheese was also. How long does it retain the stink? Is it still stinking when you eat it? You fixed mushy peas???? I even prefer the baby peas because I think they are more firm.

Janet my husbands billfold opens very wide when it comes to our 2 daughters and our grand children. Just not me or even himself. But yet he never complains when I go shopping by myself and come home with 3 shopping bags from Christopher Banks. What he would get upset about is if the clothes I have in my closet get to small for me and I have to go shopping for more of a biigger size. But he does live in the dark ages when it comes to how much things cost now. He thinks a coffee table should cost $50, a washer $200, etc. About the Rogaine. How do you use it, and I know that it only works in certain kind of male baldness. Does it matter with women?

Gail, So good you will be celebrating together. I know it is a time of grief also because she was dealt a stinkin deal with having breast cancer and a good part of her life was taken. But I'm glad you kids all would have a good time together. That's a good healthy family life

Toni, so sorry about your job. I'm sorry any Y would close

Kim, do you know if cinnamon is OK for a cat if dear Melody would eat it? I think they are coming from our doors going out from our kitchen.

Lesley!!!!!! May be going to get a new puppy sometime this year!!! Hooray!

When I get a friend request, I first send them a message that I am never on my own page. If the are over or close to 50 I introduce them to this site. But I tell them if they still want to be friends even though I am not going to give them support on my own page then I will accept them. Last year when I went to the fashion show, they gave anyone who 'modeled something' to the workers a discount. So all you had to do was to show the cashier what you looked like in the sweater you were getting. Started our taxes today. It didn't start off good. I couldn't find the piece of paper in the stack of papers that I have all my passwords on. I remembered my username but not the password. That was easy enough to get taken care of though. But then I started the work. I was so frustrated that the boxes on the W-2 form weren't matching the box numbers on the tax form. Found out as I went on that it wasn't a W-2 form I had in front of me but the 1099 which looks pretty much like the W-2. Also my taxes was going to be over $3000 and i hadn't even finished. so I got that deleted. I had prepped doing my taxes by adding up all the medical visits and had a total figure. Then in doing the taxes found out it is supposed to be broken down, lab/xrays/etc doctors visits and then things like dentures, I had it all in one lump sum. So off to the drawing board.

Joyce, Indiana

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Gail - I know we will all be thinking of you at the funeral. I know it sounds a bit weird, but I think I prefer funerals to weddings. People seem more open and honest and there is time to chat and reminisce about the one we loved.

Joyce and Janet - The cheese gets more and more stinky as it matures, but putting it in the fridge keeps it for longer. I have had a few that ran out all over the place when I cut into them. The smell is strong, but it doesn't taste strong. Left to myself I could eat the whole box, but I will be good girl and have a small portion. I know that my DB and DSIL will fall on it like gannets and there won't be much left! I will serve it instead of dessert for my diabetic DB , but also on offer are the macarons I made ages ago and froze. I made them with dried raspberries that I pulverised and sieved. Last time they were delicious, but I didn't sieve them and they stuck in the teeth! :laugh: I also have some raspberry filling in the freezer.
    The mushy peas are tinned. (canned) They are a very British thing - basically dried peas which are cooked to almost mush. I love them with a dry ingedient like the duck we had or grilled fish as they make a kind of sauce. So easy as I just open a tin! 125 cals for half a tin.

Today I have yoga followed by a gathering at the pub where we are celebrating a member's 70th birthday. My friend is making the cake, another lady is bringing decorations for it and someone else is bringing paper plates and napkins. I will have a tiny piece and then come home for a late lunch of Dim Sum that I bought the other day. 40 cals a piece and I have 8 pieces defrosting in the fridge. Har gow and shiu mai. I have them with chilli sauce! :laugh: Dh is out walking in the wind with his cricket friend and will have lunch out in a pub. :bigsmile:

Love to all. Heather in UK
    27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    morning kids,
    trying to keep up with you all..
    when the DH said I am spoiled B,he was teasing.. he loves to harass me.. but if I fo and tease him he gets cranky go figure,,,,,
    the DH uses minoxdil and is sort of bald on top.. but he uses it all the time to keep what he has..
    going to make some shepards pie, and his lunch, and then go see DFIL ,stop at the dump to drop off garbage..
    I finished buying stuff for the bathroom, new towels and got the new shower curtain...the work will be done this weekend.. and the electrician will be here to do some work too...
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Toni - how awful about the Y, I know what it is like when you make such good friends at work and then every thing finishes. It is so difficult to keep in thouch despite all our good intentions - family and life tend to get in the way!
    - Call the midwife is soooo good!

Gail - Sorry for youy loss, but glad you and your siblings will be able to celebrate her life.

Barbie - Love the elimination diet quote - IF ONLY!!!

NMMargaret - Gosh how scary to have and EAGLE fly at the windscreen. It is bad enough when it is a small bird (usually a pigeon around here).

Michele - I was exhausted just reading all the things you do. I thought I was doing really well just going swimming. Oh well, maybe when there is a little less of my to drag around things will be easier lol.

Sylvia - How wonderful your hubby sounds, he is so good to your son (who sounds very similar to my youngest). I think it was his problems that split my previous partner and I up. But I also hope he is now beginning to sort himself out, especially as he is the one who is having the baby in July (well his partner is anyway!!!).

We have had an extemely windy night, trees down all over the place but looks as if the sun is trying to come out and shine for a little while.
    The girl who works the days I don't is on AL this week so I am here every day. Thank goodness for Easter. Means I at least get a four day weekend. So busy though that I have had to give up on having breakfast as I would rather miss that than have to get up another half hour earlier. 5am is plenty early enough for me thanks.

Best wishes to all and hope the journey stays fun for the month ahead.

Gilly, Suffolk Uk
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I will be bringing my grand fur baby back home today. then I will be getting my hair done in staying in town at the hotel tonight. tomorrow is my husband's Food Show in Saint Cloud. Thursday I will be packing for our trip and getting the house staged for when we are gone in case the real estate market picks up and someone wants to look at it. we are leaving early Friday morning for Carthage Missouri to go to the precious moment Chapel where my DH proposed to me almost 5 years ago. then we are headed to Lubbock Texas for the week. we are looking into possibly having my husband transfer there so that we can get out of the winter weather of here in Minnesota. I will be reading the post but probably will not have much time to reply so hugs to all!

Mary from Minnesota
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mary, have a good trip and good luck on selling your house. My DIL's mother had someone do a professional staging job and got a sale right away. This is after several years of just putting it on the market every now and then.

Katla, I think I would like to live in a town house where others were in charge of repair and replace. That or an adult retirement community. Our house is 30 years old and constantly needs attention. I finally hired a pair to do the yard work every other week and that has helped tremendously as I used to do most of it myself and can't now.

Leslie, so glad you are thinking about getting a new pup. Even after we finally got one, I would think of my mut that passed away 8 years ago and still do. But, the little Pom we now have fills our life with laughter and trials that keep us on our toes. ;)

Michelle, you sound like one busy lady as does Alison. Kudos for all you two do.

I bought a dressy pants outfit on eBay for my Sis's daughters wedding. It is a Cold Water Creek brand. I am anxious because even though I usually wear a 16 P in pants, online it said that Cold Water Creek clothes run large and I'm afraid it might be too big. Good think that the seller takes returns.

Carol ~ GA

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I see that I am writing Run-On sentences. Need to work on my writing skills. :'(
  • shelties1
    shelties1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in Southern MD, and have been working out for a few months now. I'm doing weight training with a trainer, and cardio. so it's been a slow go pound wise, but I am down around 20lbs, and have lost almost 2 sizes (depending on what type of material, it is 2).

As most of the women I see in the gym are younger, I'm glad there is a 50+ group for us!

Cheers,
    Karen
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    have a great tues.
    hugs jane
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies....settling in at work.....but want to keep up here so I don't have to spend so much time in evening. So...I will try respond too....

Have a good day everyone.
    Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Well - the suspense is over- They are closing my Y in 45 days. BooHoo! This is where I work and where I have worked out for about 12 years. They said the staff will be given 1 year free membership to the Y even if we don't continue on staff at another Y. It will be a long drive to another Y with a pool. I haven't decided if I will pursue another job with the Y. I'll know more in the next few days. We are all so sad. It is such a wonderful diverse group of members and the staff is like family. Everyone is taking it very hard.

One door closed - now I will be searching for an open one.

Toni in Tennessee

Gratitude for the past - Strength for the present - Faith for the future

sorry to hear that.... 12 years is a long time
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    Gail - so sorry to hear about your sister. (((hugs)))

Sassy - I like your articles.

Katla - I live on a farm. 1800+ acres. The actual yard inside the shelter belt is probably 10 acres.

And yes ...I will have a bag of frumpy clothes to go to the Salvation Army thrift store on Thursday.

Wonderful day Sunday with the kids and grandkids and DMIL. DMIL was so happy we took pictures of her with the DGkids.

AND...back to work today... :\

Will there be a new link for April?

Hugs to everyone as we dive into our hectic lives for the week, take the time to stop and smell ......SPRING!!! B)

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
    Were the sun is shinning and melting all the snow and the water is everywhere...

yeah there will be a new link for april
  • pipcd34
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    katla - I've decided that it's a mortal sin to pass up a rest area and NOT stop, either to have something to eat, to go to the bathroom, or even just to stretch. I do that so many times.

Meg
    - so glad you're feeling better.

Toni
    - I am so so sorry they are closing your Y. Did they give any reason for the closing? Is there another branch close to you even if it doesn't have a pool?

Lillian
    - barbie makes a new link for every month. I just have to remember to bookmark it and unbookmark the old link

Mary
    - I'm bad about passwords. One thing I do that I know isn't a good thing is that I have two passwords that I use mainly. Not a good idea, but that's how I can remember them

Michele from NC

I must be an eternal mortal sinner. my rule when I do organized bike rides or runs no matter what the distance is I NEVER stop. for me the mortal sin would be to stop.