Addicted to 2% milk, is it bad for me?

Options

Replies

• shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I know the thing about the dairy police is true.

I think the 'dairy police' are primarily concerned about lactose and casesin, but obviously many people can tolerate it.

I care nothing about drinking milk and can happily give that up but if you ask for my cheese you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. (cheese is supposedly lacking in most of the stuff that is potentially harmful, though). Some people recommend the full fat version, particularly grass fed for better health. Some people recommend the full fat version, particularly grass fed for better health. Here is a link that explains some of the arguments: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance/#axzz2VAuGrf00

I would say if you like it and it doesn't bother you, go for it! If you are curious if it makes any difference, you can always try eliminating it from your diet for 30 days and then reintroducing and checking the results but if things are working for you I wouldn't bother.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I love milk, always have, always will.. but I drink skim milk and not 2%. Have been drinking skim for so long if I have some 1% now, it tastes soooo creamy it makes me gag... How can it be bad for you unless you are diabetic, like me. and milk, even skim, makes your bs spike..

I've been edging closer to that dreaded diagnosis for 13 years. I know that seems like a long time. I'm not within the weight range for high risk for type 2,and I was a super scrawny kid. A lot of my family has either type 1 or 2 though. 2 of my sisters are type 1. Actually,it wasn't until my doctor put me on metformin for 2 years,then took me off of it that I started struggling so severely with my weight. I wasn't diagnosed as a kid...so it's not type 1. I'm a little baffled by the whole thing. I wake up and my b.s. is in the mid to low 60's...I eat and it's well over 300. Small confession, I haven't been keeping a check on it recently. I just get so aggravated trying to monitor it when one doctor tells me I need to keep a close watch and take medicines,and another takes me off of my medicine and tells me not to worry about it. However, the last time I had a check up on it, I was taking metformin,and I was just below the line. I have an appointment Monday,and I'm going to be a nervous wreck all weekend. I went to the doctor once because my kidneys were swelling,and I apparently had an over abundance of sugar in my urine...I hadn't even eaten since dinner the night before. Maybe I shouldn't drink so much milk.......

While there is some correlation between type II diabetes and obesity, you certainly don't have to be overweight to get it. Unfortunately, I know as I'm prediabetic, and I was never severely overweight (I did get a bit of a middle age spread, but lost it pretty quick). Genetics plays a large part, plus we simply don't know what does cause it. Are they going to give you the glucose tolerance test on Monday? 300 is high if that is 2 hours from the minute you started eating. And diabetics do have to worry about it going too low too.

As for milk - I love it too, though prefer the full fat version! I try to limit how much I drink though, but sometimes a glass of milk is so refreshing. In the Starting Strength book, Rippetoe suggests weight lifters should drink a gallon of whole milk a day if they are trying to put on muscle mass. It has the ideal balance of macros.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking whole milk almost every day for 40 plus years. My granfather lived to 92 doing the same. I am sure the soy milk, almond milk, fake milk, whatever drinkers will live much longer.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Regarding your milk intake here is another comment...

Obviously Milk contains carbohydrates, so dont go drinking 4 litres a day and expect to lose weight

So on the subject of whole milk vs 2% vs skim...
    It's widely accepted that if something contains 3% fat it can be considered for the most part 'fat free'. Whole milk contains 3% fat. Skim milk has had the fat skimmed from it. 2% milk has had the fat skimmed from it and fat added in powder form... more processing. Either way, not only are you doing yourself in by trying to eliminate fat from your diet, you're really making a negligible difference in the total fat content by opting for 2% or fat free milk specifically.

I am a diabetic and just finished a month of diabetic classes with the instructor being a diabetic 1 with a pump... There is NO reverse on diabetes.. once you are diagnosed, you will remain a diabetic... That is a myth and is untrue that you can reverse it.. Just not true. Usually a diabetic will end up taking insulin. Your pancreas just poops out over time. I can tell my bs readings are getting worse even when Endo raises my meds. Diabetes is not caused by what you eat but comes from your family. A diabetic 1 starts at a young age whereas a Diabetic 2 is usually begun as an adult.

I was in a nursiing home not that long ago after having another TIA and the nurse told me that milk raised your sugars. That was first time I ever heard that but did notice when I ate a bowl of cereal at night for supper/dinner, the next morning my first bs reading was high.

Just food for thought..

Nah, I try to limit myself to a few (smaller) glasses a day. Too much makes me sick,and more than 8 ounces of whole milk makes me sick. That's kind of why I thought there may be some truth in it being really bad for an adult's body. Did the instructor tell you type 2 isn't able to be reversed? That's something doctors are always telling people,that with diet and exercise it can be reversed. My best friend of more than a decade was told last year that she had successfully reversed her type 2 by making healthier choices and following an exercise regimen. I am so confused now,and a little worried for her. I told my doctor I wanted to take a diabetic nutrition course so I could better understand preventative measures,but he told me no because it isn't necessary yet. I think he could have at least given me a pamphlet or some literature. He said,"Just google it." That has been a confusing, crazy disaster haha. Thanks for your help. I guess I should really consider a milk option that isn't from cows. =_= what heart break.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No, you're fine if you enjoy it, drink up.
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    I love milk, always have, always will.. but I drink skim milk and not 2%. Have been drinking skim for so long if I have some 1% now, it tastes soooo creamy it makes me gag... How can it be bad for you unless you are diabetic, like me. and milk, even skim, makes your bs spike..

I've been edging closer to that dreaded diagnosis for 13 years. I know that seems like a long time. I'm not within the weight range for high risk for type 2,and I was a super scrawny kid. A lot of my family has either type 1 or 2 though. 2 of my sisters are type 1. Actually,it wasn't until my doctor put me on metformin for 2 years,then took me off of it that I started struggling so severely with my weight. I wasn't diagnosed as a kid...so it's not type 1. I'm a little baffled by the whole thing. I wake up and my b.s. is in the mid to low 60's...I eat and it's well over 300. Small confession, I haven't been keeping a check on it recently. I just get so aggravated trying to monitor it when one doctor tells me I need to keep a close watch and take medicines,and another takes me off of my medicine and tells me not to worry about it. However, the last time I had a check up on it, I was taking metformin,and I was just below the line. I have an appointment Monday,and I'm going to be a nervous wreck all weekend. I went to the doctor once because my kidneys were swelling,and I apparently had an over abundance of sugar in my urine...I hadn't even eaten since dinner the night before. Maybe I shouldn't drink so much milk.......

While there is some correlation between type II diabetes and obesity, you certainly don't have to be overweight to get it. Unfortunately, I know as I'm prediabetic, and I was never severely overweight (I did get a bit of a middle age spread, but lost it pretty quick). Genetics plays a large part, plus we simply don't know what does cause it. Are they going to give you the glucose tolerance test on Monday? 300 is high if that is 2 hours from the minute you started eating. And diabetics do have to worry about it going too low too.

As for milk - I love it too, though prefer the full fat version! I try to limit how much I drink though, but sometimes a glass of milk is so refreshing. In the Starting Strength book, Rippetoe suggests weight lifters should drink a gallon of whole milk a day if they are trying to put on muscle mass. It has the ideal balance of macros.

A gallon!? Wow, that's a lot of milk! haha Yeah, I haven't had a gtt in a few years, so it's time to be updated. The last time was a miserable experience. I am, very much so, not looking forward to it.
  • magerum
    Options

Obviously Milk contains carbohydrates, so dont go drinking 4 litres a day and expect to lose weight

I don't see how carbohydrates will inhibit weight loss?
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    You should purchase you a cow.

That wouldn't end well. I love cheeseburgers. haha

Hmmm LOL
  • kckBxer396
    Options
    I know the thing about the dairy police is true.

I think the 'dairy police' are primarily concerned about lactose and casesin, but obviously many people can tolerate it.

I care nothing about drinking milk and can happily give that up but if you ask for my cheese you will have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. (cheese is supposedly lacking in most of the stuff that is potentially harmful, though). Some people recommend the full fat version, particularly grass fed for better health. Some people recommend the full fat version, particularly grass fed for better health.

Just curious, since you seem to love cheese, could you suggest some "REAL" cheese brands or types? My s.o. is so snobby about his cheese, and every time I pick something up for him, I get the same glazed over,unimpressed look. He says that he can taste the difference in real and fake because he's Korean and it's 'hereditary' I have absolutely zero idea or interest in the amount of truth behind that. However, if he makes excuses to keep me from buying fake or too processed cheese, then I want to get him something he will like. Do you know if if fresh sliced deli cheeses are actual cheese?
  • kckBxer396
    Options

I don't see how carbohydrates will inhibit weight loss?

I think it was in reference to borderline diabetes. I'm off of my medicine,and have trouble maintaining my levels, so I should probably keep an eye on how many carbs I'm taking in from milk. I assume that it would make it difficult for me to shed mass. I'm not exactly up to speed on how that works though, so I'm just guessing.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If you love it, have it. I do not drink it because it is so damaging to your bones, and bone density issues run in my family. If you have no concerns about this or related digestive issues, do what you like! I never thought of it as much of a calorie-killer, but it's a matter of perspective.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    He said,"Just google it."

OMG! That is kind of nuts. You will run into a million different opinions that way.

T1 Diabetes cannot be reversed. T2 is kind of questionable. Maybe you'll always have tendencies but many people are successful at keeping their blood sugars low with dietary changes.

I was kind of surprised the first time somebody told me milk had sugar! I know that sounds dumb but I never thought of it before.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I love 2% milk. I drink it with breakfast and dinner, which my friends say is weird,but that's how I was raised. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night craving a glass of milk. If it's late and I'm starving, that's what I have..Generally, if I pour myself a glass, I drink it straight down and refill it half way to sip on. I love milk,and, other than the Milk Your Body ads, I've heard that it isn't good for an adult's body. Someone, please tell me that isn't true.

It isn't true.

ETA: just saw that there are possible medical issues raised subsequent to the OP - so have to do the usual caveat....assuming no medical issues!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you love it, have it. I do not drink it because it is so damaging to your bones, and bone density issues run in my family. If you have no concerns about this or related digestive issues, do what you like! I never thought of it as much of a calorie-killer, but it's a matter of perspective.

How is it damaging to your bones?
  • magerum
    Options
    I love 2% milk. I drink it with breakfast and dinner, which my friends say is weird,but that's how I was raised. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night craving a glass of milk. If it's late and I'm starving, that's what I have..Generally, if I pour myself a glass, I drink it straight down and refill it half way to sip on. I love milk,and, other than the Milk Your Body ads, I've heard that it isn't good for an adult's body. Someone, please tell me that isn't true.

It isn't true.

^^
  • magerum
    Options

$(KGrHqJ,!hQE8mHt10HqBPOEu5Phpg~~60_35.JPG
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh... another "addiction". sigh

and what Cliff said.
    The "Demonizing" of certain foods on here.
    We see it all the time.
    Does nothing to help in the lifestyle change people are looking for....it just complicates it.

Relax people......
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Literally just spit water on my keyboard. That's funny.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    You should purchase you a cow.

That wouldn't end well. I love cheeseburgers. haha

Lmao