Addicted to 2% milk, is it bad for me?

Options

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Addicted to milk? Now I have heard everything.
  • kiwanda88
    kiwanda88 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Over the last 25 years I drank about a gallon of skim milk a week, sometimes more. I stopped cold turkey two months ago, after realizing I was drinking 400-600 calories a day in milk, sometimes twice that as I'd have two 16 oz glasses at dinner.
  • luisalg14
    luisalg14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There's occasional milk drinking going on in my household (my hubby more than myself, whenever he's having a few biscuits). We drink the lactose free variety. I usually have 2% with my cereal, but sometimes I have whole milk too (when I run out of 2%, as we buy one of each). It's nice with a bit of Nesquick for a treat too :smile:
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    As long as it's organic, go for it.
    Non organic milk comes from cows raised on GMO grains, shot with vaccines, growth hormones and antibiotics.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Non organic milk comes from cows raised on GMO grains, shot with vaccines, growth hormones and antibiotics.
    Not everyone lives in the USA. I do buy organic cows milk once in a while but as far as a dairy for drinking is concerned I drink organic goats milk, love it. :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Pros...it's better than drinking whole, if it's within your calories & your diet is balanced then not a huge deal. If you drink more milk, then usually you need to cut back on your meat/fish/chicken protein intake, as well as your carb intake, because milk has the proteins & carbs.

Cons...you actually get more calcium the LESS fat there is in milk(14 mg less in a cup of 2% compared to skim), animals (people too) tend to store toxic stuff in their fat so when you drink/eat the fat you're taking that in, 32 more calories a cup than skim, you could be using the calories for other healthier things.

IF you want to try to switch over to skim, I'd start mixing your 2% w/a little 1% & keep increasing the 1% until that's all it is. Then do the same w/the 1% & skim, until it's all skim. If you can get to 2%, you can usually get to skim pretty easy.

I actually have zero issues with skim and 1%. The only milk I can't drink is whole. It makes me feel so horrible and sick. However, my better half turns up his nose at anything that is "reduced fat" or 'fat free" ...buying cheese for that man is a small nightmare. haha Man, I love him though, so I think we can compromise a little with the milk. Maybe I will just mix it and not tell him? ;)

I tried "mixing" it w/my teens...my son didn't notice the difference, but my daughter did. On the reduced fat cheese, I'd recommend the Sargento reduced fat cheddar and/or colby cheese sticks, they taste better than most out there.

An added bit of calcium vs bones education from someone who has a sister who was diagnosed w/early onset osteoporosis in her 30's....most people think when you consume calcium, it goes to your bones. They also think that if you don't consume calcium your bones just don't get it. That's only partly true. Our body tries to maintain a certain amount of calcium in our blood. IF we consume enough to do that, then any extra also goes into our bones, especially w/some low/high impact exercise & vitamin D. BUT this is a daily constant need. So if you don't get enough calcium through diet, your body pulls the calcium from your bones to put into your bloodstream. It's a LOT easier for your body to pull it out of your bones, than for you to get it back in. That's why it's so iimportant to get enough calcium every single day, because every day you don't is a day it gets pulled from your bones. Also, food calcium is absorbed into the bloodstream & bones much more readily than supplements.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O-ehIkwGME

If I have to choose between cow's milk and bullsh*t, I'll take the former.
    Why is it "Bullsh*t?
  • vedra_b
    vedra_b Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    got this from the livestrong website:

While 2 percent milk is excessively high in saturated fat, 1 percent milk is a good source of nutrition. According to "Fitness Magazine," 1 percent milk is among the healthiest beverages. It provides all of the components of a healthy meal: carbohydrates, protein and a little bit of fat. Furthermore, of its calcium and vitamin D content, 1 percent milk is an important food for preventing the bone disease osteoporosis, particularly in women. Some research, including a study published in "Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism" in 2010, has also linked increased consumption of dietary calcium from dairy sources to weight loss in overweight women

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/430719-1-vs-2-milk/#ixzz2VYf9vqr8
  • april7141
    april7141 Posts: 3
    Options
    Okay dairy police here lol. Yes Milk is not good for you. It's nature's perfect food for a calf. Having said that i still do eat some dairy products that i want to eventually cut out of my diet completely. I grew up brainwashed into thinking Milk does a body good crap and that's just not true. There are plenty of other resources to get your calcium from. But if you must, It's your body. Enjoy your glass of hormones.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options

Why is it "Bullsh*t?
    Because it conjecture and persona opinion based on his cherry picking from studies that are correlations. It's a good platform to sell something from (his book) because it can sound convincing to a good percentage of the general population.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Not necessarily.

I agree that not necessarily is true. I get my milk from a local dairy, and it is not "certified organic" however, the cows are grass fed, never given hormones, and only given antibiotics if they are sick and need them (and the milk is not bottled/sold while the cow is sick/on meds).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay dairy police here lol. Yes Milk is not good for you. It's nature's perfect food for a calf. Having said that i still do eat some dairy products that i want to eventually cut out of my diet completely. I grew up brainwashed into thinking Milk does a body good crap and that's just not true. There are plenty of other resources to get your calcium from. But if you must, It's your body. Enjoy your glass of hormones.

lolz
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options

<3
  • ladyvintage
    ladyvintage Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I LOVE milk. I used to drink 2% everyday just how you do, with breakfast, lunch and dinner. My cousin who was in sick kids hospital with an illness and was extremely skinny when he got out, asked his Doctor how he could put his weight back on and he replied that anyone who wants to gain weight should drink 2% milk..
    I don't know if that was true or not but I love all milk so I just switched to skim..
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can't have it every day because of issues, but I drink full fat milk. Sometimes its just what I need.:smile:
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Not everyone lives in the USA. I do buy organic cows milk once in a while but as far as a dairy for drinking is concerned I drink organic goats milk, love it. :smile:

No hormones allowed in Canada
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I love milk and drink it constantly.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    inb4 milk eats your bones.

Edit: Scrolled up. Apparently not, lol.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

No hormones allowed in Canada

It's good to know.