Addicted to 2% milk, is it bad for me?

Options

Replies

• sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of a glass of milk but my body doesn't. If you can drink it and fit it into your goals, go for it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    This is from an article by Alan Aragon
    If you're dieting, the lower-fat option is an easy way to save a few calories. When it comes to building muscle, though, whole milk may be your best choice: Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis—an indicator of muscle growth—2.8 times more than drinking skim did.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/dairy_products/Skim_or_Whole.php#ixzz2VMVYo9JG

I had recently read that whole milk was the best. I was trying to find where I read it (the above is not what I was looking for). I realize OP said she can't drink it, but I'm just putting that out there. I drink 2% myself. :smile:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Pros...it's better than drinking whole,

What makes it "better" than whole.

It has less fat, and therefore less calories - so you can drink more of it and still stick within your calorie goals.

However if you are trying to make a certain fat macro target then 4% milk might be "better" for you.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Only 2% of it is bad, so drink 98% of the glass and dump the rest in the sink, otherwise you'll get sick and have to do a cleanse...
  • TangledUp_InBlue
    TangledUp_InBlue Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    7. Whole Milk

Want to lighten up that coffee? Whole milk may be the way to go. Whole milk contains large amounts of vitamins A and D naturally – skim and low-fat milk are fortified with synthetic versions of these vitamins. In small amounts, a few extra calories may amount to a lot of extra vitamins. The extra fat, in moderation, may even help long-term weight loss. A Swedish study of 19,000 over 9 years found that women who had one serving of whole milk or cheese a day put on less weight than women who ate the same foods less often.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennifercohen/2012/09/11/10-foods-that-are-surprisingly-good-for-you/
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I respect that everyone has been told their whole lives that it is good for your bones, and am not trying to troll or aggravate anyone. In my post I hoped to make it clear that I think you should have what you enjoy. The truth of the matter is that both high and low fat milk leech calcium from your bones. I drank milk my while life (like a beast, I loved the stuff) until I had heard this argument and looked into it. Research it yourself, and see how you feel about it. I'm not telling anyone to do what I do.

Listen pal, I live in Kansas City, and falling cows are nothing to laugh about. It happens to me on the way into the office constantly. Why do you think I'm so concerned about bone density?

ETA: I've had my own personal doctor tell me that I was correct in my findings, two others (as I'm seeing someone nearly every week during my pregnancy) tell me that they think there is a reason that as a country we consume so much dairy but have the highest rates of hip fractures and osteoporosis, and one gawk at me as if I were growing antlers.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Milk is only marginally better then smoking crack as far as addictions go IMO
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Milk is only marginally better then smoking crack as far as addictions go IMO

Legitlab_zps7b79a133.jpg
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I respect that everyone has been told their whole lives that it is good for your bones, and am not trying to troll or aggravate anyone. In my post I hoped to make it clear that I think you should have what you enjoy. The truth of the matter is that both high and low fat milk leech calcium from your bones. I drank milk my while life (like a beast, I loved the stuff) until I had heard this argument and looked into it. Research it yourself, and see how you feel about it. I'm not telling anyone to do what I do.

Listen pal, I live in Kansas City, and falling cows are nothing to laugh about. It happens to me on the way into the office constantly. Why do you think I'm so concerned about bone density?

ETA: I've had my own personal doctor tell me that I was correct in my findings, two others (as I'm seeing someone nearly every week during my pregnancy) tell me that they think there is a reason that as a country we consume so much dairy but have the highest rates of hip fractures and osteoporosis, and one gawk at me as if I were growing antlers.

I'm tired of hearing this new wives tale. It's patently untrue and the reasoning behind this myth is even more redonculous than the myth itself.

In the end, if your body still produces lactase as an adult and you don't have any other medical issues, milk is a great source of many nutrients.

Stop the milk hate. It's udderly despicable.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/

http://www.who.int/nutrition/publications/public_health_nut8.pdf

The studies are still disputed, and results vary for different age groups, but I feel safer getting my calcium from other foods, and full disclosure, am now of the belief that we don't need milk once we are weaned as infants, and definitely don't need it from another species. I'm not telling anyone else what to do, just saying it doesn't hurt to be open-minded or skeptical about studies that are done within the respective industry that sells whatever the subject may be.

ETA: I don't hate milk! I made it clear that there isn't conclusive evidence just yet. The WHO (not the band) does acknowledge the studies, and I do tend to lean more towards research without a vested interest. If I was unclear in that, then well, there is my stance.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I drink 3% for the extra calories and benefits of fat. Yes, you read that correctly.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

What is the actual scientific evidence for this? The reasons I have seen online (and uncited) are that milk is an "acidifying" food, but that is clearly bunk.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22081694

And any putative correlations between hip fracture rates and milk drinking are only that - correlations. It could also be that people who drink more milk are also less active, or have the genetic predisposition to lower bone mass... Correlation is not causation.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    you'll have to pry my milk from my cold dead hands.

tumblr_miedz5bO6v1s10m6fo1_250.gif
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

The studies are still disputed, and results vary for different age groups, but I feel safer getting my calcium from other foods, and full disclosure, am now of the belief that we don't need milk once we are weaned as infants, and definitely don't need it from another species. I'm not telling anyone else what to do, just saying it doesn't hurt to be open-minded or skeptical about studies that are done within the respective industry that sells whatever the subject may be.

ETA: I don't hate milk! I made it clear that there isn't conclusive evidence just yet. The WHO (not the band) does acknowledge the studies, and I do tend to lean more towards research without a vested interest. If I was unclear in that, then well, there is my stance.

The first link says that milk may not be the best source for calcium - it doesn't say to avoid milk altogether!

The second also does not show calcium is leeched from bones by milk. In fact, it suggests that countries where milk/dairy intake is low have an increased risk of osteoporosis.

I'm more than happy to entertain the notion that milk may not the best source of calcium (damn you milk marketing board for lying to me ;-) ), but I'm yet to be convinced that it is actually detrimental to bone health.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Dairy: 6 Reasons You Should Avoid It at all Costs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O-ehIkwGME
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

If I have to choose between cow's milk and bullsh*t, I'll take the former.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Care to explain how milk leached calcium from your bones...I will wait.

Also, heard about correlation not being causation?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

The first link says that milk may not be the best source for calcium - it doesn't say to avoid milk altogether!

The second also does not show calcium is leeched from bones by milk. In fact, it suggests that countries where milk/dairy intake is low have an increased risk of osteoporosis.

I'm more than happy to entertain the notion that milk may not the best source of calcium (damn you milk marketing board for lying to me ;-) ), but I'm yet to be convinced that it is actually detrimental to bone health.
    Yep. And the main reason why it may not be the best source is because it does not contain other nutrients necessary to absorb the calcium, whereas veggies do. However, this is generally fixed by eating foods from a variety of sources.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

If I have to choose between cow's milk and bullsh*t, I'll take the former.

word