Just for today --- daily commitment thread

Options

Replies

• cupc8k2
    cupc8k2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    cupc8k2 wrote: »
    Such a nice surprised feeling to see that I actually DID the things on my list! I'm not really in the habit yet of writing down goals like this, and then being accountable for them. I know that checking in here, and knowing that I made this commitment, will become more automatic after a few weeks...in the meantime,
    just for today...
    I will do something kind for my body
    I will stay at my calorie limit
    I will do one thing good for my spirit
    I'll use the supports at hand
    And I will do 15 min of exercise
    And...I will do something of service for someone else,
    Namaste.

Such honorable goals. I need to think more along those lines too.

I guess right now my goal for others is to finish cleaning out my dads house that he was in for 60 years. The last 4 months have been consumed with caring for dad before his passing in July.

I will get there eventually.

Good luck with goals.

That's a big, very honorable goal to have as well. Caring for someone while they transition is such an amazing act of love! And can be so hard too. I think what you are doing now, and what you've been doing for so many months, is an act of service...so maybe you could do something kind for yourself today. And the rest will follow when you're ready. Be gentle with yourself... JFT ;-)
  • cupc8k2
    cupc8k2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Okay, JFT (just for tomorrow lol cuz it's late!)
    ~ stay within my calorie goals (not using exercise calories right now)
    ~ encourage a friend on MFP
    ~ walk for at least 30 min
    ~ help a friend
    ~ meditate
  • Papillonklp
    Papillonklp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Today my goal was to log an entire day and to exercise for at least 30 minutes. I did both, woohoo!
    I just discovered this great thread. Thank you for helping me stay motivated :)
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I just had a follow-up appointment with my Oncologist and got the "all clear". They changed my schedule to only coming every six months now, so that's exciting and scary at the same time!

So....JFT, I will:
    • Be grateful for another day, for still being in remission, and not sweat the small stuff
    • Log my food faithfully
    • Make healthy choices
    • Get in some sort of activity

Have a fantastic day everyone! :smiley:

how did i miss this yesterday? this is HUGE

SO happy for you! i like your "don't sweat the small stuff" amen, sister!
    :smiley:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,228 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yesterday was a rest day. I have so much wedding stuff to do for my younger daughter this week. So,
    JFT Monday 10/08
    1. Stay focused, start working through To Do list :) It's rainbow themed, so I have sorted all the stuff into colour code boxes so that they can be put out quickly on the day. I am doing the flowers and putting the sashes on the chairs.
    2. Pre-plan menus; stick to plan :) ; 30+ each Strength/Flexibility :) ; 10,000+ steps :)
    3. No late night snacking :)
    4. Take Time-out to relax :smiley: watched 2 movies with hubs after dinner.

@vicky1947mfp That's a big job. We have had to do it for both sets of parents. The wedding is in one week's time. It's in a different town, so we are book to stay there the night before. She has chosen a rainbow theme and we have seven tables plus the wedding party table. So we are doing each table with highlight colours in one colour of the rainbow and the top table in gold. I am hoping to have all the glass globe ready and have designed a simple but elegant arrangement for each that can be done fairly quickly. I am prepping the globes this week and the flowers are arriving on Saturday. We have already done a dry run so know timings will work.

@cupc8k2 Namaste. Such positive goals are inspiring. So glad you achieved them.
    @rockinrhonda11 I, too, have a problem with late night snacking especially chocolate :lol:

JFT Tues 11/08
    1. Wash glass globes and polish. Prep Ribbons.
    2. Pre-plan today's menus; stick to plan; close the kitchen at 8pm
    3. 30+ Cardio/Strength/Flexibility
    4. Sew up hem on new trousers.
    5. Meditate
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    WellingTX wrote: »

For today I will work out for 45 minutes.
    For today I will stay under my calorie goal and won't over indulge in any single food (mean it this time.)
    For today I will remind myself of the reasons I want to be healthy and why I'm in this for the long haul.

Great day yesterday.

Worked out for 43 minutes. 2.5 mile walk at !7:20 a mile.
    Under calorie goal and no over indulging.
    Went through 11 of the reasons I'm on this lifestyle shift to be healthy. Going to make this a daily mantra.

For today I will work out for 80 minutes
    For today I will stay under my calorie goal and won't over indulge in any single food
    For today I will remind myself of the reasons I want to be healthy and why I'm in this for the long haul
    For today I will reach out to my sister and insure she knows how much her love and support mean to me
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    aerochic42 wrote: »
    Like many of us, I seem to be struggling with motivation as well, and it's showing in lack of weight loss. So keeping it small JFT Monday
    1. Brush/floss after dinner Nope, crashed on couch. I did floss this morning
    2. 10,000 steps nope 8240

Didn't get either done yesterday, so JFT I'm doing the same ones plus adding in some meal prep for later in the week
  • michelle1173
    michelle1173 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

8/10
    1. Log food (yes, actually finished this morning, but I did it)
    2. According tasks I planned (food shopping and anything else I come up with) (yes)
    3. Try to sleep at midnight (almost)

8/11
    4. Out of bed by 8 am (not quite, but I finally feel rested today.)
    5. Post goals (no specific time today)

8/11
    1. Log calories
    2. Alternate working on computer and working away from the computer (no more than an 1 hour straight on the computer)
    3. Drink 8 classes of water
    4. Do some form of exercise
    5. Try to sleep by midnight

8/12
    6. Wake up in time for my appointment
    7. Post goals.
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Such a nice surprised feeling to see that I actually DID the things on my list! I'm not really in the habit yet of writing down goals like this, and then being accountable for them. I know that checking in here, and knowing that I made this commitment, will become more automatic after a few weeks...in the meantime,
    just for today...
    I will do something kind for my body
    I will stay at my calorie limit
    I will do one thing good for my spirit
    I'll use the supports at hand
    And I will do 15 min of exercise
    And...I will do something of service for someone else,
    Namaste.

Such honorable goals. I need to think more along those lines too.

I guess right now my goal for others is to finish cleaning out my dads house that he was in for 60 years. The last 4 months have been consumed with caring for dad before his passing in July.

I will get there eventually.

Good luck with goals.

That's a big, very honorable goal to have as well. Caring for someone while they transition is such an amazing act of love! And can be so hard too. I think what you are doing now, and what you've been doing for so many months, is an act of service...so maybe you could do something kind for yourself today. And the rest will follow when you're ready. Be gentle with yourself... JFT ;-)

Such kind words. Thank you so much for your thoughts and caring advice.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Yesterday was a rest day. I have so much wedding stuff to do for my younger daughter this week. So,
    JFT Monday 10/08
    1. Stay focused, start working through To Do list :) It's rainbow themed, so I have sorted all the stuff into colour code boxes so that they can be put out quickly on the day. I am doing the flowers and putting the sashes on the chairs.
    2. Pre-plan menus; stick to plan :) ; 30+ each Strength/Flexibility :) ; 10,000+ steps :)
    3. No late night snacking :)
    4. Take Time-out to relax :smiley: watched 2 movies with hubs after dinner.

@vicky1947mfp That's a big job. We have had to do it for both sets of parents. The wedding is in one week's time. It's in a different town, so we are book to stay there the night before. She has chosen a rainbow theme and we have seven tables plus the wedding party table. So we are doing each table with highlight colours in one colour of the rainbow and the top table in gold. I am hoping to have all the glass globe ready and have designed a simple but elegant arrangement for each that can be done fairly quickly. I am prepping the globes this week and the flowers are arriving on Saturday. We have already done a dry run so know timings will work.

@cupc8k2 Namaste. Such positive goals are inspiring. So glad you achieved them.
    @rockinrhonda11 I, too, have a problem with late night snacking especially chocolate :lol:

JFT Tues 11/08
    1. Wash glass globes and polish. Prep Ribbons.
    2. Pre-plan today's menus; stick to plan; close the kitchen at 8pm
    3. 30+ Cardio/Strength/Flexibility
    4. Sew up hem on new trousers.
    5. Meditate

Wedding colors sound beautiful. Such an exciting time for your family. Enjoy the wedding.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Hi vicky. I just now scrolled through old posts and noticed you lost your dad while I was away. Hugs to you. I lost mine three years ago, and I was a total daddy's girl! :-) I don't know anything about your situation or if it was expected, etc. But I can attest to the fact that grief doesn't care about any of that. give yourself a healthy way to grieve. I didn't, and it eventually brought me to MFP. (I am happy to be here though)
    (((Vicky)))
  • feistyjojo
    feistyjojo Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    feistyjojo wrote: »
    Tuesday's goals:
    - make good choices for lunch out with client
    - chose to eat healthily whatever mood I'm in

Yes for lunch.
    No to rest of day... choc binge.

Am tired, sick of coughing constantly and have a couple of stressful work things happening. Binge eating choc isn't helping but I feel like I'm using it to relieve some kind of pressure and "give myself something nice". Although if I actually listened to my body it's not what I need at all. :-(
  • feistyjojo
    feistyjojo Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wednesday's goals:
    - resolve stressful work issue
    - meditate
    - choose a positive mood and stay there with the help of music/meditation or whatever it takes so I can get through my work list and choose healthy food and portions

These will be major achievements. And I need some success right now!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,228 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    feistyjojo wrote: »
    Wednesday's goals:
    - resolve stressful work issue
    - meditate
    - choose a positive mood and stay there with the help of music/meditation or whatever it takes so I can get through my work list and choose healthy food and portions

These will be major achievements. And I need some success right now!
    You can do this, Jo. The fact that you are still posting is testament to that. I find that breaking things down into manageable steps helps. Celebrate each small victory and keep re-evaluating what to do next. Step by step the journey is done. Brick by brick the wall is built.
  • julialynnt
    julialynnt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start out! Just for today--my goal is to track everything I eat. We'll see how it goes!
  • lisakelsch7
    lisakelsch7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Stay motivated I walked four miles and I will walk two miles tomorrow. :)
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    Hi vicky. I just now scrolled through old posts and noticed you lost your dad while I was away. Hugs to you. I lost mine three years ago, and I was a total daddy's girl! :-) I don't know anything about your situation or if it was expected, etc. But I can attest to the fact that grief doesn't care about any of that. give yourself a healthy way to grieve. I didn't, and it eventually brought me to MFP. (I am happy to be here though)
    (((Vicky)))

Thanks so much Myra. Dad was sick for about 10 weeks before he passed away. It was a very hard time for him and my brother, sister and myself. But we cared for him admirably I thought and gave him the best care and love we could.

Now we are trying to clean out his house that he lived in for 60 years. He also had 5 rental houses that have to be dealt with. We are getting there slowly but surely.

As you know this is difficult but I do have the loving support of my siblings. It is an amazing tribute to my parents how well we are agreeing on everything. I really appreciate that because I know how rare that is.

I have maintained my weight thru it all. Miracle!!!
  • Micmaust
    Micmaust Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Vicky,

My name is Michelle, and I would like to join your group. One day at a time is a brilliant way to deal with with weight management. I have a brain injury, and holding things like goals and plans in my mind is difficult. When I read your beginning posts on this thread, I realized I can do that! I do not have to think about next year or next week, just the present moment.
    My biggest challenge is being consistent with exercise. I am 57 years old and I can practically see and feel my muscles turning to fat. Okay, I exaggerated. But you get the picture. I should be doing the recommended amount of exercise for health at a minimum. One of the problems is me. I must have Lead in my *kitten*! :/
    Today I did not eat anything but coffee and water until 5:00 pm. I decided to go shopping early this afternoon, and it turned into a quest. I got some new bras that fit right. I was surprised at how hard it is to find 34DD. The last time I was measured that is what it was. I have been squishing them into a C cup for a long time. No wonder I hurt where the wires are. I found some very good deals. I saved more than I spent! I think shopping should be on the list of activities. Maybe I just haven't found it yet.
    I am sorry for your loss. I know who hard it is. When both my parents died of cancer within a year of each other, I was really a mess. But that waster thirty years ago, I think I am at peace. I hope you are too. My goal for today was to get some exercise and go shopping at the Kohl's sale. I achieved my goal for today. B)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options

JFT, Tuesday, August 5
    1) Meet with teammates to discuss coaching
    2) Learn a Zumba routine for my workshop next week
    3) Eat breakfast mindfully

Did all those, but injured myself doing the box step.

JFT, Tuesday, August 11
    It's the end of the day, and I'm at the Zumba Convention so I won't be back tomorrow, so here are my intentions for tomorrow
    1) Eat breakfast
    2) Do physical therapy exercises
    3) Register for the conference and visit the Zumba store.
  • LuckyAndi
    LuckyAndi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think this is a brilliant idea! I find myself thinking about the end result so much. Setting and (hopefully) achieving small goals along the way will help keep me focused and like I'm accomplishing something.

So, my very first JFT 8-12
    -20 squats
    -pack a dinner for boardgame night
    -clean out my car