hair loss with 1200 calories

Options
12346»

Replies

• katherose1222
    Options
    Hello - I had the same issue. I did ask my doctor about this - she suggested that I take a biotin supplement, and make sure you get plenty of protein. I take one along with a multi-vitmin and an extra b complex vitamin supplement, and I also use Organix biotin and collagen shampoo. All of these things seem to be helping. I hope this helps you as well :)
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You people are hilarious.

Do some of you get paid based on the amount of posters you sway to your way of thinking? 1200 calories baaaaaad ha ha ha ha ha. Or 1000 calories gooooooood he he he he he.

OP - go see a dr. None of the people here seem concerned at all with your problem, just pushing their own BS on to you as if a cookie cutter generic calculation somehow applies to the entire population at large.

The only thing I can tell you that may be helpful is to go see a PROFESSIONAL and have them run tests to determine what the problem is. All of this low calorie bad/high calorie good stuff is all speculation in your case. For all we know this is a psychological/emotional response.

THIS because I feel like everyone whose actually trying to help OP is getting lost in this battle of the calories stuff so THIS THIS THIS!

Because the OP made the correlation between diet and hair loss. People have given their opinions. The OP didn't go to her doctor for an opinion, she came to an internet message board for an opinion. Believe it or not, people have differing opinions. I believe the OP did get help, she may have gotten different opinions, but she certainly got advice and things to look into.

But that isn't what happened, yeah some people are giving advice and others are just using it to fight about calories and the advice got lost in all the mess. There are certain people who post on these boards, and I've seen them in multiple threads, that just come in to fight about calories and basically beat the other people down who they don't agree with. You can't deny that they were taking over this thread and starting to push it into a fight. I wouldn't blame the OP if as soon as that started to happen they took off and didn't even bother looking back in here for advice.
  • sm_4ever17
    sm_4ever17 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanx guys I think i'll eat a bit more like 1500-1700 calories per day x. Cant imagine myself without hair ewwwew
  • walkingforward
    walkingforward Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.

FR's welcome
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    hi m on 1200 calorie diet bt m losing my hair i eat healthy like oatmeal for breaky, veggies, chapatis, milk, cereals weetabix bt m losing hair. does any1 knw why? iv recently started dieting so dnt knw if its coz of dat

height 5'1"
    weight 139 pounds/63.2 kg

I work in International Humanitarian Aid and we figure that IF the lack of food is the reason for hair loss it is because the person had consistently ( 6 month plus ) eaten less than 600 calories a day. It takes a very long time on an extreme low cal diet before hair starts to fall out.. At 1200 calories, I would say it's stress, hormonal or other reasons, but I don't think it's the lack of nutrients, IF your diet is balanced.
    ^this I can't say how I know but I know, I should say I know MY results, yours may differ
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    Go see a doctor. I'm 5'2" and generally eat around 1000-1300 calories a day, have for quite a while, and have NOT seen a problem with my hair growth. My hair is actually healthier now that I'm consuming more vegetables and overall nutrients from a healthier diet. Same applies to my skin. Make sure what you're eating is actually nutritious, or you will run into problems like this.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    hmm interesting.. my hairs not been its healthy curly self since ive been on a 1200 cal diet.. but i have just found out i have health problems that might be to blame also, so please see your doctor about checking your thyroid.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    *blink*

Well, if it started to fall out when you started starving yourself, I think the causation is pretty clear.
    starvation??? LMAO :laugh: 1200 calories is not starving. What an insult.

How do you make it through life if you find that insulting? Like...really?

Edit: joy_joy women like you on mfp are my heroes. I was eating1200-1400 calories a day, and felt awful and depressed and guilty over every little thing. It wasnt until i saw women eating more and excelling at fitness that i was really able to make changes. I've been at 1600-1700 for a month and lost nearly 8 pounds and started working harder and feeling good for the first time since i left the military.

Ahem. That is all. Carry on

:heart:

I experienced pretty significant hair loss while netting 500-700 a day back in 2012. Once I slowly increased my net to 1200-1400, my hair grew back and started falling out slowly, the way it's supposed to. :laugh:

41 years old, 5'6", and I lose weight eating between 1700-2000/day. I maintain around 2300-2500/day. Admittedly, I am very active.

OP, it could be any one of a number of factors. Best bet is to see a doctor.