meeting all your calories

Options
Who meets all there calories by the end of the day a lot of times I still have 3 or 4 hundred calories left . mfp says that's not healthy what's everyone else think

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I usually have around 50-100 left over depending on the day.

But that's at 1,600 cals a day. How many do you get a day?

Edit- I just peeked in your food diary. You're given around 1,200 calories. If you have 300 or 400 calories left you are eating around 800 calories which isn't very sustainable.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    depends on your goal and how often this happens

include more calorie dense foods throughout the day to reach your goal : peanut butter, nuts, avacado, cheese, or just eat some dessert :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Whether it is unhealthy for you depends entirely on your own situation and goals.

What is your height/weight?
    How much weight do you have to lose?
    What is your exercise regime like?

Based on your diary your food intake is around the 1200 mark. It's hard to get adequate nutrition on an intake this low. Most people can lose weight eating more than this.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you eat, it can be hard to get up to that goal. If you can't eat more cause you are full, try some nutrient-dense foods (like a tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter). That won't make you feel full but will get you the calories you need.
    Please don't eat under 1200 for a long period of time. I made that mistake, and it was not good at all.
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess everyone is right I should meet the goal I find it hard sometimes because I don't know meny healthy food ideals . everything I think of has a lot of suger or carbs . but lately I've been doing better
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition you don't really need to track sugar (unless you want to and that's cool too). MFP sugar goal is notoriously low. I swapped it out and track fiber instead.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Don't demonize sugar and carbs. There's nothing wrong with either, if you eat within reason.

And what do you mean that you don't know "meny healthy food ideals"?
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just don't really like a lot of meals that are healthier i m very very picky eater
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1560 and I'm always over and eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories and I continue to lose 2 lbs a week.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I just don't really like a lot of meals that are healthier i m very very picky eater

That's fine. Just eat the meals you enjoy in smaller portions. You don't have to eat special "diet" or "healthy" food to lose weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So eat all of your normal foods, just less of it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have no issue getting in my 2000-2300 hundred a day...and if MFP is telling you "it's unhealthy" you are below 1200...I am sure you can eat more than that if you wanted to. Meals don't have to be healthy to lose weight...instead of low fat choose regular fat, eat pizza or have a beer or a glass of wine heck go get some ice cream or a coke.
  • skyfall91
    skyfall91 Posts: 74
    Options
    Im on 1600cals a day and eat back most of my exercise calories (heart rate monitor). I have around 100-150 left some days, depends if im too busy to eat bigger meals or if im just not hungry that day
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I was working on getting a minimum number of calories a day, I'd have an evening snack to top me up. Hard cheese is a good evening choice as it is high in calories and it provides overnight dental protection as well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Who meets all there calories by the end of the day a lot of times I still have 3 or 4 hundred calories left . mfp says that's not healthy what's everyone else think

Unless I am sick, I have no problem getting 1270 calories a day. I don't get sick often.
    I usually plan and log my whole day of food out so I am 100 or so calories over that and then I exercise about 30 minutes. I'm not hungry all the time. I eat the foods I like and fit it in my day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Well, I don't know what you do like to eat, but calorie dense foods can be your friends when you're trying to get enough calories in. By adding 100-200 calories to each meal it should be fairly easy to get back up to 1200 calories.

This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Why do you have so many diary entries with 0 servings and 0 calories?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Every day. Why would I NOT eat as much as I could while still losing weight? I'm not here to lose 20lbs every month, I'm here to lose sustainably and to make sure I have enough food in me to help me out at the gym.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Depends why you have leftover calories. If it's because you did stupid amounts of exercise and are genuinely not hungry, but have actually eaten plenty of food, then it's perfectly healthy to not make your target. If however you're only eating like 1000 calories you need to eat more.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you're having trouble eating 1200 kcal, I'd dump some of those so-called healthy foods, and eat what you like that allows you to get enough calories. Those foods may be healthy for someone else, but if they prevent you from reaching you 1200 kcal goal, they're not healthy for you.