Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I am SOOOO having a burger tonight after this thread.

And I don't mean turkey, chicken, tofu or any of that other voodoo nonsense!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I will take a Jake's Wayback Burger over Five Guys any day.

Jakes_2013Menu.1.jpg

^ 'Merica.

What is this triple triple business!!!? oh my

I know, right?

Jakes-Triple-Triple.jpg
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    All the burger I have seen so far in this thread look bad. They would be good for like 1/4 or 1/2 of the burger but I'm guessing I would get sick of the meat cheese grease combo.

Here is a real burger, comes with chips, not fries.

rtubt7qh2gae.jpg

No, that is not a burger. That is a chicken filet sandwich. Not a burger.

Its called a Bondi burger. Looks more like a burger than a sandwich.

If you replace the chicken with beef would it be a beef sandwich? No that would be ridiculous. So is the idea that chicken can't be a burger.

You guys and your crazy ideas.

Just because that restaurant has no idea of the difference between a burger, (which I would venture to guess most people understand to mean a patty of ground meat) and a filet, doesn't mean they are correct.

Unless that is ground chicken.

Burger: Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/burger

burg·er (bûr′gər)
    n.
    1. A sandwich consisting of a bun, a cooked beef patty, and often other ingredients such as cheese, onion slices, lettuce, or condiments. Often used in combination: a cheeseburger.
    2. A similar sandwich with a nonbeef filling. Often used in combination: a crab burger; a tofu burger.

Patty: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patty

A patty, in American, Australian and New Zealand English, is a flattened, usually round, serving of ground meat or meat alternatives. The meat is compacted and shaped, cooked, and served. Patties can be eaten with a knife and a fork in dishes like Salisbury steak, but are typically served in a sort of sandwich called a "burger", or a hamburger if the patty is made from ground beef. The patty itself can also be called a burger, whether or not it is served in a sandwich, especially in the United Kingdom and Ireland, where the term "patty" is rarely used.

Similar-shaped meat cakes not made from ground beef may also be called "burger": "turkey burgers" or "fishburgers" may be made from reshaped mechanically separated meat. Sometimes burgers are breaded. Veggie burger patties are made without animal products. In Ireland, traditional chippers often serve batter burger (a beef-based patty dipped in batter and deep fried) or spice burger (a savory patty made with a proprietary recipe of meats and spices).[1] These are served in a greaseproof paper bag and eaten with the hands.

Your definition seems to include chicken burgers too.

2. A similar sandwich with a nonbeef filling. Often used in combination: a crab burger; a tofu burger.
    non beef as in a chicken fillet?

Just a guess here but your american, I'm Australian, seems perfectly reasonable that we have different definitions for a burger.

Your definition is narrow and mine isn't.

Burger to me is less about the meat and how it is processed and more about the type of bread it is encased in.

Take one of your burgers and replace it the meat with a chicken fillet, still a burger, still a burger to just about anyone I asked here. Replace it with a veggie patty, still a burger. Replace it with a minute steak, still a burger.

Did you read the also included definition of PATTY, that is acceptable in American, Australian, and New Zealand English? Oh, no, you just read the first line.

Mine is correct, yours is not...suck it up buttercup. ;)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I am so entertained. And sad because I'm sick and a burger really doesn't sound all that appetizing right now. I must burger soon...
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I am so entertained. And sad because I'm sick and a burger really doesn't sound all that appetizing right now. I must burger soon...

cheeseburger soup?
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat a burger.

giphy.gif
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    GROUND meat...not a filet.

Chicken filet =/= Burger

Personally, I'm not sure I'd even allow anything besides Ground Beef to be TRULY called a burger - any more than I'd allow something with zucchini noodles to be called lasagne or cauliflower crust to be called pizza. But then again, I tend to take burgers pretty seriously.

You are missing out on the non beef burger deliciousness.
  • wizzybeth
    Options

Chicken filet =/= Burger

Personally, I'm not sure I'd even allow anything besides Ground Beef to be TRULY called a burger - any more than I'd allow something with zucchini noodles to be called lasagne or cauliflower crust to be called pizza. But then again, I tend to take burgers pretty seriously.

I've yet to try a non-beef burger that I could call delicious. I have had a few different varieties of Garden burgers...and while edible, even "okay" I can't call them "delicious" for me. ...and I loathe, absolutely can't stand ground turkey. Just the thought of it makes my stomach constrict and I feel queasy. LOL

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    All the burger I have seen so far in this thread look bad. They would be good for like 1/4 or 1/2 of the burger but I'm guessing I would get sick of the meat cheese grease combo.

rtubt7qh2gae.jpg

If you replace the chicken with beef would it be a beef sandwich? No that would be ridiculous. So is the idea that chicken can't be a burger.

Just because that restaurant has no idea of the difference between a burger, (which I would venture to guess most people understand to mean a patty of ground meat) and a filet, doesn't mean they are correct.

burg·er (bûr′gər)
    n.
    1. A sandwich consisting of a bun, a cooked beef patty, and often other ingredients such as cheese, onion slices, lettuce, or condiments. Often used in combination: a cheeseburger.

A patty, in American, Australian and New Zealand English, is a flattened, usually round, serving of ground meat or meat alternatives. The meat is compacted and shaped, cooked, and served. Patties can be eaten with a knife and a fork in dishes like Salisbury steak, but are typically served in a sort of sandwich called a "burger", or a hamburger if the patty is made from ground beef. The patty itself can also be called a burger, whether or not it is served in a sandwich, especially in the United Kingdom and Ireland, where the term "patty" is rarely used.

Similar-shaped meat cakes not made from ground beef may also be called "burger": "turkey burgers" or "fishburgers" may be made from reshaped mechanically separated meat. Sometimes burgers are breaded. Veggie burger patties are made without animal products. In Ireland, traditional chippers often serve batter burger (a beef-based patty dipped in batter and deep fried) or spice burger (a savory patty made with a proprietary recipe of meats and spices).[1] These are served in a greaseproof paper bag and eaten with the hands.

Just a guess here but your american, I'm Australian, seems perfectly reasonable that we have different definitions for a burger.

Burger to me is less about the meat and how it is processed and more about the type of bread it is encased in.

Take one of your burgers and replace it the meat with a chicken fillet, still a burger, still a burger to just about anyone I asked here. Replace it with a veggie patty, still a burger. Replace it with a minute steak, still a burger.

Did you read the also included definition of PATTY, that is acceptable in American, Australian, and New Zealand English? Oh, no, you just read the first line.

I didn't just read the first line, obviously since I copied the 2nd paragraph. Your definition said ground beef patty then said similiar sandwhich with non beef meat.

So a burger with chicken fillets sounds awe fully similar to a beef burger with non beef meat. So it makes it a burger.

Also I did say we're from different countries and that is probably the root of the argument.

Your definition sound correct for America and mine sounds correct for Australia.

So either we are both wrong or both right.

It's like arguing over whether coke is soda or fizzy drink or if chips are like fries or like Pringles.

You have your ideas and I have mine.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Jakes_2013Menu.1.jpg

^ 'Merica.

I know, right?

Jakes-Triple-Triple.jpg

I can feel my arteries clogging up just by looking at this
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Jakes_2013Menu.1.jpg

^ 'Merica.

I know, right?

Jakes-Triple-Triple.jpg

oh i would totally crush that….
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    origin-burger-l1.jpg

I always thought Hamburgler was a really dumb character. And why was he always talking about potato chips? ("Ruffle, ruffle!")

Now that we're on that same theme, I found every single one of those characters weird and somewhat cannibalistic, except for Grimace, who just looked like a purple poop.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    origin-burger-l1.jpg

lol
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

rtubt7qh2gae.jpg

burg·er (bûr′gər)
    n.

I didn't just read the first line, obviously since I copied the 2nd paragraph. Your definition said ground beef patty then said similiar sandwhich with non beef meat.

So a burger with chicken fillets sounds awe fully similar to a beef burger with non beef meat. So it makes it a burger.

Also I did say we're from different countries and that is probably the root of the argument.

Your definition sound correct for America and mine sounds correct for Australia.

So either we are both wrong or both right.

It's like arguing over whether coke is soda or fizzy drink or if chips are like fries or like Pringles.

You have your ideas and I have mine.

However it said it was " ground meat". Fillets aren't ground. Thus all though a burger patty can be made of ground chicken, chicken fillets don't make a burger patty.
    A patty, in American, Australian and New Zealand English, is a flattened, usually round, serving of ground meat or meat alternatives.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Chicken filet =/= Burger

I didn't say I didn't eat and/or like them.

I just said they're not burgers
  • juggernaut1974
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Who invited Australia to the party? Australia always ruining things.

DYEShrimponthebarbie Bro?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

Jakes_2013Menu.1.jpg

^ 'Merica.

I know, right?

Jakes-Triple-Triple.jpg

oh i would totally crush that….

I just looked it up...105 calories over my goal. So split it across three meals and do a bit more exercise...
This discussion has been closed.