Can you really eat a burger?

Options

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    YES! Why would you no eat burgers? Eat the yummy burger!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A properly made burger with a veggie side is a balanced meal.
  • JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat burgers, pizza, ice cream/milkshakes, cookies, drink beer, etc. If you're in a calorie deficit...you're in a calorie deficit.

• jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If I had to give up burgers (bacon, fries, chocolate, whatever) in order to lose weight, it just wouldn't work for me. In fact, I've given up those things in the past, lost weight and then found it all again. Didn't work. This time I'm just having less of most things rather than cutting anything out. That's something I can do for the rest of my life.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

That may be one of the dumbest things I have read all year, and certainly today. Overeating is what makes people fat, not what they eat, but how much. I eat burgers, pizza, hot fogs, chips, ice cream, drink soda, and consume a host of other "junk" food all the time, it doesn't make me fat. BMR doesn't change that much from sleeping to awake, what about those six to 8 hours? The body is constantly working off of intake as well as fat and muscle stores, it's not like there's some magic switch to go from metabolizing freshly consumed food to stored fat.

Cheese burgers are almost a perfect food, just look at the macro breakdown, you have your carbs, fat, and protein all in a good balance. Eat up.

Rigger

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Well, I ate one last night.
    b4wj1tqvoncv.png
    (add like 15 calories for some tomato that is further down in the entry but lumped in with my salad stuff).

So yeah, you can.
  • ana3067
    Options

f1cb3213249c849827956a72442401f6.jpg
  • ana3067
    Options
    A properly made burger with a veggie side is a balanced meal.

That is what I ate last night for dinner, although without any salad dresing because I ran out of calories. But then again I haven't regularly used salad dressing in well over 6 years so I don't really miss it when I don't use it.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I eat cheeseburgers. If I'm at a fast food place, I get it without fries or sometimes without cheese.

I have lost 50lbs eating the same things I always ate; just less of it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    They call Mary Jane the gateway drug, right? Burgers may be the gateway food to...fries. I like my burger and I can usually ignore the siren song of the side of fries. It might help to look up the calorie load of your meal before you go, so it doesn't look so tempting.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I make a California Turkey Burger from the Biggest Loser Cookbook that even my picky kids love. You take Bacon and chop it up and add it in with the turkey Meat (I use 93% Fat Free), some type of sauce (I use worchestier (sp?) or barbeque sometimes) and add in seasoning. We have that about twice a week.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Why does a cheeseburger have to be 800 calories? Sure, a fast food burger can have a lot of calories, but even fast food restaurants have smaller burgers that fit into even a 1200 calorie daily calorie limit. If I have a cheeseburger at home I use either 80/20 hamburger meat or ground venison, bread instead of a bun, and add cheese and toppings to taste. Even with the higher calorie meat, cheese, and bacon, I'd be hard-pressed to top 500 calories for the entire thing.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Yep! Eat a burger. I like to min/max taste vs calories. So sometimes it's replacing the bun with a toasted sandwich thin and adding bacon, or using different meats such as turkey or salmon instead of beef, always trying to stay within 300 calories so it can be a burger AND something other than just veggies (one of my my favorite 600 calorie meals is a 300 calorie burger with 200 calories in 'alexia' fries and 100 calories in veggies). Don't be stuck at what a burger HAS to be like, or afraid to play with taste: you might discover something great :)

(I've lost almost 70 lbs in under 8 months now, so it's obviously working despite all the burgers and ice cream!)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat anything and, as long as it fits in your daily calories, you will continue to lose weight.

Obviously if you eat all of your calories for the day in one massive meal, you may get hungry later. How you break up your calories for the day is a personal preference based on how you personally feel. I can often fit ice cream in my day if I have a smaller dinner. I decide on a day-by-day basis if I'd rather have more food, or a smaller portion and a high calorie food.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'd go get burgers with my coworkers almost every Friday while losing weight. I'd pick something in my calorie and macro goals. Didn't hinder my weight loss one bit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why would you not be able to eat one? They have protein and fats in them. I can make a homemade one that comes in around 400 calories with bun and toppings...

as long as you are hitting your calorie/macro/micro targets for the day you can eat the foods that you like and enjoy them ...
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I want a burger. Like now.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Yep, absolutely! That's what's so great about calorie counting!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We had homemade cheeseburgers just the other night. And since we ate at home, no fries or pop around for temptation! I make the burgers 200g (extra lean, weighed before cooking) so nice and hefty, and we only have one each, except my son who could eat 3 :D Some corn relish, a side of coleslaw, and it was a yummy supper!
This discussion has been closed.