Can you really eat a burger?

Replies

• khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    You just have to be smart about it is all. My Turkey Burger including Bun and Bacon and sauce (depends on the sauce) and it's about 400 calories give or take. Keep in mind that it's not always a good thing to completely deny yourself. Just as long as you don't make it a habit. It's okay to have a candy once in a while or a pop or popcorn. Just as long as you keep it in moderation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

what?

so if I eat in a deficit, I will gain weight because I ate too fast and the food did not properly metabolize....really?????
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    As long as your calories out are more than your calories in, you will lose weight.

Things like happiness and health will depend on what you fill those calories in with. Can you lose weight eating only cupcakes? Yes! However you are not going to be a healthy skinny at all. Probably turn diabetic. If you eat a lot of high calorie processed foods you will probably be hungrier than someone who eats tons of veggies and big salads at the same number of calories. It is all up to you. It is your body to fuel the way you choose. But you will lose weight as long as CO>CI.

I frequently enjoy a nice grilled lean burger with mushrooms or a slice of cheese and natural ketchup or a tomato slice. Some broccoli or green beans on the side. Low calorie and filling meal!
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    I'm like you OP; we've been brainwashed for so many years to believe that you had to be on a seriously restrictive diet in order to lose weight. Then I found MFP and the truth about diet! You really can eat whatever your little heart desires as long as you are pedantic about logging and staying within your calorie deficit every single day.
    I love burgers and have them often, but I am careful to make mine at home with only 3oz of lean meat on homemade rolls so that I can know for sure how many calories I'm getting.
    Even after reaching my goal and being on MFP for over a year, it's still hard to believe that this is the key to sustainable weight loss. Who'd a thunk it! Eating real food every day in moderation was the key? LOL
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    I'm going to have a burger for tea.... can't wait!

In fact I'm going to have 2 burgers 1 bun (there's a website there somewhere...)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Where people go overboard is taking in too many macros at once. Sure, have that 800 calorie burger, but if you are hungry in 4 hours, and you honor that, then where did that food go? Did it get used, or stored? In 4 hours, you would have to be very busy or vety overweight, bc bmr awake is usually in the 100-150 per hour range for people that are within 100 lbs overweight. So, if you are eating again, and the body hasnt fully metabolized that burger, that is where the burger will make you more overweight. It is why chips, hotdogs, ice cream, and soda make people overweight. They just have too much of it and it doesnt get metabolized and used as energy.

You're on a roll today.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Having TOO MUCH (in calories) is what gets people overweight. One could eat nothing but bread and water in excess and lose weight if they are in calorie deficit. BTW, it takes more than 4 hours to metabolize just about any food taken in regardless of how "healthy" it is. More like 24 hours or more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    When I started losing weight, I was strict with what I ate. Every session with my trainer, he would look at the last weeks diet. Finally, one night I was out with friends and broke down and had pizza...it had been several months. I was upset with myself. His response to me was "Is it realistic that you will never eat pizza again? This isn't a short term fix, you need to learn how to fit foods you want into your diet now, while you are losing weight. You need to find balance" So, I still eat pizza, burgers, fries, and other foods deemed "bad", but I eat them less often and don't eat the huge portions I used to eat.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Alidecker wrote: »
    When I started losing weight, I was strict with what I ate. Every session with my trainer, he would look at the last weeks diet. Finally, one night I was out with friends and broke down and had pizza...it had been several months. I was upset with myself. His response to me was "Is it realistic that you will never eat pizza again? This isn't a short term fix, you need to learn how to fit foods you want into your diet now, while you are losing weight. You need to find balance" So, I still eat pizza, burgers, fries, and other foods deemed "bad", but I eat them less often and don't eat the huge portions I used to eat.

I predict long term success for you....
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited March 2015

<insert witty "no" .gif here>

As long as your deficit or maintenance is met over a reasonable period of time, it matters not when the food is consumed.

6 meals a day is no different than one mammoth feast.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    I've lost ~50 pounds and I eat a Burger King bacon double cheeseburger at least once a month. nom nom nom. No food is inherently bad.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    MMM, cheeseburger! I love a good quality burger that I make at home. I won't eat one out, god knows what it is made of! Not sure if I agree that you can "eat anything you want" as long as it is in calorie range. I personally stay away from "junk food". But you can find a way to eat what you enjoy if it is in your calorie allowance. Burgers, pizza, beer, etc. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. I am not going the rest of my life without a cheeseburger!

I've tested this idea over the past 6 or 7 months. You can eat anything you want as long as you fit it in your calories. The type of food does not matter in terms of weight loss. You only need to eat at a deficit.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Holy hell, just NO.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »

I predict long term success for you....

Thanks, I have kept most of 130#s off for the last 4 years, just never hit my goals...working on that now.

• TR0berts

Holy hell, just... YES.
  • TR0berts

No, when you have too much of something (anything), it gets stored as fat because you're eating more than you burn - so those extra calories don't get burned.

OP, yes, if you'd like you can eat a cheeseburger. I had one on Sunday - my diary is wide open if you'd like to look at it.

I like to pre-log my days, because meeting my nutritional goals is important to me. So I try to eat all the fat and protein I need, and the rest of the leftover calories I use at my discretion (like, ice cream last night).

I've successfully lost 71 pounds so far.

I was giving examples of food with those combinations...not an explicit list. Dont read too much into that. You guys that are saying I am wrong, you are pretty much saying what I just said, but in a different way...read it again, but slower.

F No. You were completely wrong. You still are. Just STOP.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Treat yourself! I knew the other day that we were having Wendy's for dinner, so I organized my caloric intake for the other meals accordingly. Even had room for a small order of fries in my 'budget.' It was DELICIOUS!!!

Enjoy your burger. :)
  • hologramsabc
    hologramsabc Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    TCO76 wrote: »
    Life without a cheeseburger? Ever.......I shan't not.

Spartacus

Agreed! However, I am very much more into the "gourmet" burgers. I never took a liking to fast food. I think once a week or every few weeks is okay. If we cut out everything we love then we will binge and go nuts! We're only human!

This discussion has been closed.