How much have you lost, and how (an informal poll)?

Options

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Initially 300 with RnY (16 years ago)
    More recently, 40 since December sticking with strict keto vs normal LC for health reasons.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 23lbs, 30lbs to go!
    Method: Calorie deficit, I eat about 1200-1300cals per day

I have been eating 1200cals from the start, and at first I also was doing LCHF and enjoyed the experience. I have slowly re-incorporated carbs in the following weeks and now I eat about 80-150g of carbs per day. The first thing I did when I started my journey (along with the calorie deficit, that is) was to stop drinking pepsi and coffee (Tim Horton's large double double has 300cals, and I used to drink a few everyday!!!) and starting to drink 1-2L of water everyday. I started exercising when I had lost about 12lbs because that when I felt comfortable about getting back into it. I started out with body weight exercises and yoga, then a few weeks after I bought a pair of 12lbs dumbbells. I am working out to tone my body and help my metabolism not to slow down, as I am eating low calories, but really I have lost the weight through maintaining a deficit. I try to exercise 3-4x/week.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Long answer:

Lost about 30 lbs doing nothing in particular except being "more mindful" (for lack of a better term) of what and how much I was eating.

Lost another 35 once I discovered MFP.

So down 65 from start point to my low point.

Since then I've incorporated weights/exercise, and I intentionally added 18 lbs or so in a 'bulk'

I'm now back on my first cut - want to cut about 8 lbs of fat before starting my next bulk.

I guess that puts me at down about 47 today from where I started.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,465 Member
    Options
    Took me 5 months to lose 50 lbs from Dec 2013-April 2014, I live a ketogenic lifestyle.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    38lbs, just eating less than I burn
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Weight loss as of 3/3 - 17 lbs

Method - Tracking calories, calorie restriction for the first 2 months. I am continuing with low carb because my body feels best eating that way! I have no ability to do moderation and am looking to develop it over the next few months as I work on repairing my relationship with food!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Loss: 52-54 lbs depending on the day

Method: TDEE and flexible dieting. Originally I limited certain carbs but I've added them back. I was limiting them due to PCOS and as I got into better shape I felt more comfortable adding them back. I am considering reducing them again though. I exercise 5-6 times a week. Originally I did a 50/50 split of running and strength but now it's more like 2/3 weights and 1/3 cardio.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Weight lost: 95 pounds (more or less)
    Method: I looked at my diet and figured out where I was getting extra calories, based on that I cut out snacking (mostly) and reduced my carbs somewhat, although I've now increased them again (because I'm far more active and no longer overweight, and find that I now feel better with more carbs). If I were to say any particular model I'd say IIFYM, with a focus on what I consider getting a balanced, nutritious diet that changes as seems necessary over time, and--just as important--returning to an active lifestyle.

Sorry, can't be more specific or succinct!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 18lbs.
    Method: Flexible/IIFYM. At the time when I lost most of that, I was doing cardio with resistance training and dabbling in weights.
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    15 lbs

Portion Control or Flexible Eating. I'm not really sure what the difference is.
  • jacquemartin
    jacquemartin Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    40 lbs since Sept

The biggest impact to getting into my deficit was learning how to cope with stress in a healthier way. Food used to be that source and now it is simply breathing exercises, different fitness routines, or even just knowing that in general I have put myself into a healthier work/life environment.

When I am a few more lbs down I will focus more on IIFYM but for now, I am happy!
  • jessypug
    jessypug Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Weight lost: 10 lbs (4 months)
    Method: High carb low fat vegan
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    71 lbs (240 - 169), over the course of 7 years. Have stayed +/- 5 lbs of 175 for 3 years.

Food: Started with a box of Nutrisystem, used their caloric guidelines to mold my own diet, and myfitnesspal.com tracking became a way of life.

Exercise: Started walking on a treadmill & liftin 15 lbs dumbbells, now run 5 mi every other day & run a Spartacus DVD on alternate days, follwing a 3 days on / 1 day off schedule pretty religiously.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Options
    124.4 lbs lost. March 1st was my one year anniversary.
    Calorie counting and exercise.

I haven't cut much out of my diet (other than a majority of fast food and any type of soda/drink other than water/black coffee/black tea..who wants to drink their calories unless it's a shake? not me), I still eat the things I want because I figured if I was going to have it for the rest of my life, I needed to incorporate it now so that I don't fail later :)
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    55 lbs total an 15 since starting MFP.

Been through many phases. Started with lots of gym time (3 hours a day) while in grad school and portion control with estimating calories. When school finished I did a lot of running. nearly 600 miles a year for 2 years and weights as well. I started Focus T25 and MFP about the same time and weight and inches are flying off.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    90 pounds to date. Still eat what i want but added more vegetables and everything in moderation.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    63 lbs. Low Carb, High Fat, Medium Protein. Ketogenic. Count calories. Intermittent water fasting (but not consistently). Absolutely zilch, zero, nada ~ exercise.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    50lbs lost with slimming world
    exercise = strength training
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    34 lbs lost as of today :D

Calorie Deficit/strict honest logging with higher protein, decent number fats, fiber and carbs (fall in last with what is left- but not low carb). IIFYM to a point. Some flexible eating but truthfully, my previous way of eating was not nutritious at all, so I had to change to mostly what I guess is considered "whole" foods. Much much less or no chips, dips, candy, fast food, etc. and more cooking at home. My food is now so much tastier too.

Soda is now completely gone because it makes me bloat so bad...so so bad. I also almost always avoid artificial sweeteners because of apparent sensitivities. HFCS was also giving me issues.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I've lost 55 pounds through maintaining a calorie deficit (no food is forbidden--I eat processed food, pizza, burgers, cookies, and chocolate, and I drink alcohol--just not all day every day) and a whole lot of running.